Signs of a Coming Gay Reckoning for the GOP?

Feb 1, 2014 Full story: EDGE 64

Reince Priebus knows his party has a problem. Taking the stage Friday at the Republican National Committee's winter meeting in Washington, D.C., one didn't have to listen long to the RNC chairman's remarks to come to that conclusion.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jan 08

Thailand

#1 Feb 1, 2014
Gotta get rid of those fundies! Good luck.... LOL

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Feb 1, 2014
They are merely mugging for the cameras, trying to lower expectations.

Don't believe it. They are well-positioned to retain the House and take back the Senate in '14, IF they can keep the polls turnout as low as usual. And that's just on the Federal level. At the State amd local level it's far worse.

2014-16 are going to be truly vicious fights, and they have Brinks trucks to toss around in the ring.

2014-16 is for ALL the marbles, boys and girls.

Don't LET anyone that you know sit this one out.

Also bear in mind that our opposition is perfectly place to crash the economy again, or speed it up and slow it down as necessary, if things go against them; and to set the public context for 2016.

Again, don't let ANYONE sit this one out, even if you have to drag them off their apathetic couches to the polls.

You have a garage? Know a garage band? Throw a garage party to organize the vote. Cost? A couple of kegs and some stuff for the grill.

Get creative.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#3 Feb 1, 2014
snyper wrote:
Don't believe it. They are well-positioned to retain the House and take back the Senate in '14, IF they can keep the polls turnout as low as usual. And that's just on the Federal level. At the State amd local level it's far worse.
2014-16 are going to be truly vicious fights, and they have Brinks trucks to toss around in the ring.
Also bear in mind that our opposition is perfectly place to crash the economy again, or speed it up and slow it down as necessary, if things go against them; and to set the public context for 2016.
Again, don't let ANYONE sit this one out, even if you have to drag them off their apathetic couches to the polls.
You have a garage? Know a garage band? Throw a garage party to organize the vote. Cost? A couple of kegs and some stuff for the grill.
Get creative.
I'm beginning to share your concern especially regarding the Senate in '16 (the GOP will almost certainly keep control of the House in '14 & '16 regardless due to gerrymandering).

These marriage cases look to be on track to a Jun 2016 ruling from the SCOTUS. Assuming they don't find a way to delay the cases until after the election, we could be looking at a ruling overturning all remaining marriage bans just as the '16 election is getting cranked up.

That will make the conservative fundies go absolutely apeshit and turn out in droves no matter who the next GOP nominee is. They won't sit home like they did with McCain & Romney. The SCOTUS makeup would be front & center in the election, especially with the ever increasing likelihood of Scalia and/or Kennedy retiring or dying during under the next president. That could spell trouble for the Dems, even if Hillary is their nominee.

In addition, there will be a HUGE push for a federal constitutional amendment to ban same-sex couples from marrying. And while I still think any effort would STILL fail, the issue could be very effective in increasing the number of radical conservatives elected to Congress in '16.

So as much as I want marriage equality nationwide, I actually hope the SCOTUS finds a way to delay any marriage case until AFTER the '16 election.

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Feb 1, 2014
As for the GOP coming around on marriage equality, it's already happening in many states. Just look at the number of Republicans in Oregon supporting overturning their marriage ban. But that won't help us in deep red states.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#5 Feb 1, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm beginning to share your concern especially regarding the Senate in '16 (the GOP will almost certainly keep control of the House in '14 & '16 regardless due to gerrymandering).
These marriage cases look to be on track to a Jun 2016 ruling from the SCOTUS. Assuming they don't find a way to delay the cases until after the election, we could be looking at a ruling overturning all remaining marriage bans just as the '16 election is getting cranked up.
That will make the conservative fundies go absolutely apeshit and turn out in droves no matter who the next GOP nominee is. They won't sit home like they did with McCain & Romney. The SCOTUS makeup would be front & center in the election, especially with the ever increasing likelihood of Scalia and/or Kennedy retiring or dying during under the next president. That could spell trouble for the Dems, even if Hillary is their nominee.
In addition, there will be a HUGE push for a federal constitutional amendment to ban same-sex couples from marrying. And while I still think any effort would STILL fail, the issue could be very effective in increasing the number of radical conservatives elected to Congress in '16.
So as much as I want marriage equality nationwide, I actually hope the SCOTUS finds a way to delay any marriage case until AFTER the '16 election.
A constitutional amendment would take years, however there is a movement afoot to rewrite the whole thing. That is a grave danger to the existence of this nation.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#6 Feb 1, 2014
The ONLY way the republican party will EVER win another presidential election is to get their candidate from RentBoy.com

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#7 Feb 1, 2014
snyper wrote:
Get creative.
I'm NOT going to sit this one out ! Remember, I'm registered to vote in 14 states !:)

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#8 Feb 1, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe one of the reasons that millions of Americans are going to vote for Republican candidates in overwhelming numbers this year is because they have seen how WONDERFUL OBAMACARE IS !:)( If you like your healthcare plan, you can KEEP your healthcare plan ! If you like your doctor, you can KEEP your doctor ! If you like your money, you can KEEP your money.! If you like your house, you can KEEP your house ! etc., etc., etc......... As a FAMOUS congressman once said to The Obamaniac on national tv: YOU LIE !)

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#9 Feb 1, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe one of the reasons that millions of Americans are going to vote for Republican candidates in overwhelming numbers this year is because they have seen how WONDERFUL OBAMACARE IS !:)( If you like your healthcare plan, you can KEEP your healthcare plan ! If you like your doctor, you can KEEP your doctor ! If you like your money, you can KEEP your money.! If you like your house, you can KEEP your house ! etc., etc., etc......... As a FAMOUS congressman once said to The Obamaniac on national tv: YOU LIE !)
The reddest of herrings. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with the topic above.

I'll take my chances with another dem congress,please.

If you think some religious whackos from the scariest of scenarios have YOUR gay life welfare in mind, you are more deluded than I thought. Just HOW many states would be embracing gay marriage under President Romney or Palin? Can you for ONCE take your mind off your own selfish agenda and think about the REST of the LGBT community? And save us your lachrymose descriptions of how you always join the most wonderful churches in the world. No one cares.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#10 Feb 1, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm NOT going to sit this one out ! Remember, I'm registered to vote in 14 states !:)
Is that all? I have read of at least 25 states of your residence, and that's in the last three years.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#11 Feb 1, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama has no competition

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#12 Feb 1, 2014
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Is that all? I have read of at least 25 states of your residence, and that's in the last three years.
Well, I update them from month to month as I move around the country and change my name. My import-export business necessitates that.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#13 Feb 1, 2014
The problem in the Republican Party has nothing to do with gays or fundies either one. The problem is that too many of their politicians have sold out to the powers that be (Progressivism of all types) and have become such self serving "yes men" that you can hardly tell the difference between them and the Democrats. In other words, you can't trust them. Trustworthy Republicans seem to be out numbered by the untrustworthy ones, which is why the Tea Party was able to gain so much traction so quickly. Gay issues are just a red herring that in the long run will only delay honest confrontation within the party. We can hope, however, for even more Tea Party supported candidates like Trey Gowdy to oust the Progressive Republicans from both the party and Congress. If course, if Obama continues his current takeover and growing dictatorship, Congress will continue to slide into irrelevancy.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#14 Feb 1, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Or those states just might decide to leave the union. Problem solved.

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 Feb 1, 2014
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
A constitutional amendment would take years, however there is a movement afoot to rewrite the whole thing. That is a grave danger to the existence of this nation.
As I said, I don't expect a FMA to be successful; and certainly not an entire rewrite. But the danger is a clamoring for a FMA would bring out the fundies in full force and could jeopardize a Hillary presidency. Even if she does win, it would likely mean she'd be fighting a GOP controlled House & Senate; at least for he first 2 years of her presidency.

Our best bet if for the SCOTUS to delay a ruling until after the '16 elections.

Tawas City, Michigan

#16 Feb 1, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually millions more people will HAVE health insurance for the first time in their lives thanks to Obamacare. And those millions will easily counter the few who actually lost insurance coverage.

No, the '16 election will turn on the economy-(which continues to improve), immigration reform, and quite possibly the marriage issue.

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#17 Feb 1, 2014
Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
Or those states just might decide to leave the union. Problem solved.
A state can't leave The Union. That theoretical\practical question was settled once and for all by a little thing called "The War Between The States" which was centered on that very question.

And the Battle Of Gettysburg, the turning point of the war, was the largest battle ever fought in the Western Hemisphere.

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#18 Feb 1, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually millions more people will HAVE health insurance for the first time in their lives thanks to Obamacare. And those millions will easily counter the few who actually lost insurance coverage.
No, the '16 election will turn on the economy-(which continues to improve), immigration reform, and quite possibly the marriage issue.
UNTRUE.

Since you have apparently not been following the news the past few months, almost NOBODY is signing up for "The Joseph Stalin Memorial Salt Mine OBAMACARE PLAN", and the administration's own internal documents have been warning for months that unless young, healthy people sign up, the entire house of card will collapse within the year. And since their is no enforcement mechanism in the law to force people to sign up, they won't.

I certainly won't sign up for this Stalinist plan. What's The Obamaniac going to do ? Throw me, and millions of other Americans, in jail for not doing so ? And before you even say it, the I.R.S. which has been targeting conservatives, Libertarians, Tea Party people, and others, has NO enforcement power to collect the "fines". The whole "OBAMACAREFIASCO'(te administration's new official name for it) will collapse under it's own weight in short order.

And since the Democrats used the "nuclear option" recently, when the Senate reconvenes in 2015 with a Republican majority, they're sure to plunge a stake into it. All they have to do is get a simple majority now in the Senate (because of the Democrat's use of the "nuclear option") and a simple majority in the House to refuse to appropriate ANY funds to fund it in any way whatsoever.

And shouldn't you be MORE concerned with The Obamaniac doing NOTHING to have the DEMOCRATS pass ENDA when he had TOTAL CONTROL of Congress with his party having overwhelming majorities in the House and Senate from 2007 - 2011 ? Why didn't he do what he PROMISED TO do, when The Obamaniac had total control of congress ?

Could it be that The Obamaniac was... What's the word ??? Oh yeah..... LYING ???(If you like your healthcare you can KEEP your healthcare ! Period !:))
Bubba Cooder

Alpharetta, GA

#19 Feb 1, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
A state can't leave The Union. That theoretical\practical question was settled once and for all by a little thing called "The War Between The States" which was centered on that very question.
And the Battle Of Gettysburg, the turning point of the war, was the largest battle ever fought in the Western Hemisphere.
The Civil War is in a state of temporary truce
Here is the 150yo and current National Flag of the Confederate States of America:
http://www.confederatecolonel.com/wp-content/...
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#20 Feb 1, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you like your healthcare you can KEEP your healthcare ! Period !:))
Took me six weeks to UNKEEP my healthcare and the $2700 per month payment.

Now unburdened and have a new health care plan, with savings and keep my doctor. FULL STOP, PERIOD AND DONE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min brad 158,529
Obama approves reservists for Ebola fight, gove... 10 min Positive Vibes 183
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 12 min POLYHISTER 120,467
Obama makes rare campaign trail appearance, som... 17 min Positive Vibes 1
Obama-bashing ads by abortion foe Randall Terry... (Jun '11) 24 min hornback12 80
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 26 min Grey Ghost 1,124,277
Eric Holder's legacy: From Guantanamo to Ferguson 39 min English Tea 4
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 hr harmonious 269,273
Obama wants an election about the economy, not him 4 hr Even Steven 433
GOP types accused of 'thinly-veiled racism' for... 4 hr barefoot2626 127

US Politics People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE