Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1251819 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#746223 Sep 19, 2012
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>You gonna' put KMA on his prayer card, Chef? Now that's the ultimate insult for a Grumpy Old Prick...
"leosampleanus"
Ultimate insult?
K indred
M erlin
A ddition
That is an insult?
Peace
KMA

Since: Feb 10

ny ny

#746224 Sep 19, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Gallup put Obama ahead of Mitt Romney by 4 points after the DNC Convention. Don't forget in 1980, Gallup had Jimmy Carter up over Ronald Reagan by 4 points in mid to late September.
Just sayin'.
The Wall Street Journal said this back in 2010: Comparisons between the Obama White House and the failed presidency of Jimmy Carter are increasingly being made — and by Democrats.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274...
How much more similar in comparison are they now two years later?
Not even a nice try. You keep going back to this like a dog with a bone buried in the yard. Forget it Carol. "That was then, this is now"..........this isn’t 1980, Romney is no Reagan and Obama is no Carter.

It is stunning that the Romney campaign continues to rely on this flawed historical comparison. First, the polling. Despite the mythologizing to the contrary, Gallup polling shows that Reagan was leading Carter heading into the conventions. John Sides has suggested Reagan may have actually led throughout most of the race. By contrast, as Alex Burns puts it,“we’re now less than 60 days from the election and Romney hasn’t established a decisive lead in a single swing state.” Spot the difference there?

There are plenty of other key differences. The economy was in worse shape in 1980 than it is today. Jimmy Carter could easily be criticized for mismanaging the economy and foreign affairs, given the Iranian hostage crisis. Obama, by contrast, consistently polls better than Romney on national security.

What’s more, as Reagan biographer Craig Shirley has explained, the electorate of 1980 is vastly different than it is today. Far more states were in play, and Dem swing voters — the so-called “Reagan Democrats”— formed a much bigger chunk of the Democratic Party, making a late break of such a significant magnitude much more feasible than today. The electorate is far more polarized and the map far narrower this time around.

Ed Rollins, who worked on the Reagan campaign in 1980, notes yet another key difference: Romney is not Reagan, and Obama is not Carter. As Rollins says of Romney:“On his best day, he’s not a Ronald Reagan.” Carter was partly undone because of his debate performance; that’s less likely to happen to Obama.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line...

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#746225 Sep 19, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Romney. I want to ask him about his 2009 tax returns, I want to know if I paid more percentage-wise than he did.
I want to ask the Jerk-In-Chief about his college transcripts to see if Affirmative Action gave his azz a free ride all the way along with George Soros' help. This would make him part of the 47% Slackers.

Thus, we need Mitt/Paul 2012

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#746226 Sep 19, 2012
Amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
My condolence to you and the folks that knew your friend.
GFY
"Amazed"
Thank you!!
Peace

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#746227 Sep 19, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Ah creative accounting. So not concerned about the debt is he?
Come on Homer, how many trillions has Barack Hussein Obama added to the debt? More than my great Grandchildren can pay off? Mitt Romney couldn't pay 1000th of one per cent on the debt Obama has accrued?

Lapeer, MI

#746228 Sep 19, 2012
carol wrote:
Obama's "hope" in % then and now:
Florida:
2008 - 50.9%
2012 - 41%
Virginia:
2008 - 52.7%
2012 - 40%
Nationwide, Obama leads Romney by 1%. Then, of course, there's the margin of error.
We've had a HUGE margin of error sitting in the Oval Office now for 4 years. We need to correct the error.

Mitt/Paul 2012
Nobama

Allentown, PA

#746229 Sep 19, 2012
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>The Volt is a NEW product--initial outlay is called "investment," and the Prius cost/lost twice as much when it started out.
unlike the piece of shit Volt, the Prius has some utility.....

the Volt is a crappy product, just like the rest of the GM junk....
Nobama

Allentown, PA

#746230 Sep 19, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
1) So have no clue where these levels were set, Quit being such an ass.
2) There is no bonus in most teacher contracts.
3) You do realize all this garbage about the cost of Volt just proves once again how uninformed you are. Almost everything in this car is new & had to be developed, engineered, tested. You fricken morons take all of those costs & pile them onto the cars produced so far. Yet when you spread these development costs out over several years of production, it changes that number.
It goes to show how little you know about manufacturing & developing new products.
teachers should be paid based on performance.....

as for the Volt, GM should have done a lot more R&D, engineering, and testing before selling this crap to the public....

the Volt will never sell because a limited-range vehicle has very limited application in the US.....
ROMNEY 2012

Lillington, NC

#746231 Sep 19, 2012
Obama by your own measure, you've failed to deliver the jobs Americans need.

In fact, no president in modern history has ever asked to be re-elected with this many Americans out of work. Twenty-three million Americans are struggling for work, and more families wake up in poverty than ever before.

It’s unacceptable. And now, America needs jobs -- not a litany of President Obama’s excuses, scapegoats, and alibis.

To change direction, we need a president who will own up to the simple truth: Americans are not better off than they were four years ago.

I Romney am running for president to help create a better future for America. A future where everyone who wants a job can find one. Where no senior fears for the security of their retirement. Where every parent knows that their child will get an education that leads to a good job and a bright horizon.

VOTE FOR REAL HOPE AND CHANGE!!!
ROMNEY 2012

“We doing better...”

Since: Jul 08

we've got to do more

#746232 Sep 19, 2012
fred wrote:
<quoted text>
More Huff Po stream of conscience drivel. Incoherent
Just like leosnotty's graffiti
Why are you always using my name in vain when I avoid you as much as possible, fred. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful--If I were fat and ugly I still wouldn't do you...
carol

Windermere, FL

#746233 Sep 19, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Let me guess Rasmussen?
Florida - 41%(Carol/Rasmussen), yet somehow he gets 47%(Romney 46%)
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/...
Virginia - 40%(Carol/Rasmussen), yet somehow he gets 49%(Romney 46%
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/...
It was the Washington Times...but when I went back to post the website, I realized it was dated September 2011.

My bad. Will you forgive me?

“We doing better...”

we've got to do more

#746234 Sep 19, 2012
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"leosampleanus"
Ultimate insult?
K indred
M erlin
A ddition
That is an insult?
Peace
KMA
Of course it was--you're clearly no wizard...
Nobama

Allentown, PA

#746235 Sep 19, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
So if these people are living off of SS, VA benefits etc how are thy taking advantage of the government. They are living off benefits they earned.
Well, I'm thinking their 410Ks are looking pretty darn good compared to where they were. So, you going to thank Obama for that?
SS is welfare, not an earned benefit....SS deductions are taxes to pay the current benefits of others, not a savings account....there is no guarantee of future payment of SS benefits....
Nobama

Allentown, PA

#746236 Sep 19, 2012
Rich_Liberals_help_USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Sell your half-million dollar house!
Do your part for America's poor!
better yet, lily should show her commitment by sharing her mansion with some homeless folks.....

“We doing better...”

we've got to do more

#746237 Sep 19, 2012
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
unlike the piece of shit Volt, the Prius has some utility.....
the Volt is a crappy product, just like the rest of the GM junk....
You don't believe in buying American? You'd prefer Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania all got outsourced? Traitor!

Lapeer, MI

#746238 Sep 19, 2012
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
teachers should be paid based on performance.....
as for the Volt, GM should have done a lot more R&D, engineering, and testing before selling this crap to the public....
the Volt will never sell because a limited-range vehicle has very limited application in the US.....
I've heard that GM is re-volting.

Lapeer, MI

#746239 Sep 19, 2012
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you always using my name in vain when I avoid you as much as possible, fred. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful--If I were fat and ugly I still wouldn't do you...
No one hates you for being beautiful. It's the ugly mind that's a problem.

And beautiful women go places....like couches, beds, countertops and late night bank deposit boxes.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#746240 Sep 19, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
So you compare the dot-com bust to the worst recession in 80 years combined with a near financial meltdown & a housing collapse. Wow
Bush started two wars & we still have expenses from two wars.
The fact is that Obama started with a far worse situation than Bush.
The fact is Romney lied on his website.
And really, I keep asking yet you keep being unable to answer : what did the Democrats pass during the first 9 months of 2007 that took us from the rosy great & wonderful Bush economy to the worse recession in 80 years.
The fact is Bush increased spending more that Obama.
The fact is that if you start with their first full fiscal year, Bush increased spending 3 times faster than Bush.
You can yell, scream, pout, & continue to writhe on the floor like a spoiled brat in the toy aisle at Walmart or just admit I am right.
And really, playing the budget deficit garbage again? Well golly gee Batman, you can reduce your budget deficit by just running a bunch of stuff off budget - like two wars.
You are either the most duped pretend engineer on the planet or think other people are dumb enough to believe your constant flow of imaginary stories.
Gee Whiz Davey, Bush didn't start any wars, they were voted on by Congress,Davey? Keep it up Davey, we have more??
JEB

United States

#746241 Sep 19, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Gallup put Obama ahead of Mitt Romney by 4 points after the DNC Convention. Don't forget in 1980, Gallup had Jimmy Carter up over Ronald Reagan by 4 points in mid to late September.
Just sayin'.
The Wall Street Journal said this back in 2010: Comparisons between the Obama White House and the failed presidency of Jimmy Carter are increasingly being made — and by Democrats.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274...
How much more similar in comparison are they now two years later?
Romney is NOT Reagan,

Reagan would never have delayed his prime time speech for a Clint stunt.
ROMNEY 2012

Lillington, NC

#746242 Sep 19, 2012
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Daisy Air Rifles - Keeping Mormons off my lawn for 50 years!
SO WHO IS YOUR GOD?OBAMA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Pookie Bear 192,345
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min woodtick57 333,035
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 min Earthling-1 53,995
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? 5 min No Tinkerbell Mar... 3
Time to go? 7 min bill 773
News Governors vow to fight SCOTUS ruling on gay mar... 7 min Synque 707
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 14 min woodtick57 9,406
News Donald Trump surges, and Democrats cheer 21 min serfs up 81
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Le Jimbo 186,418
More from around the web