Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1250291 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#729554 Sep 3, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text> Isn't it true, that Rupert Murdoch own's both Fox and Wall Street Journal, or am i mistaken?
Tis a fact.

Not to worry, FOX does a good job of cherry picking.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#729555 Sep 3, 2012
Obama 2012 wrote:
<quoted text>
9-11 was a terrorist attack. Fort Hood was a workplace shooting.
The twisted distortions of yet (more) mere semanTics.

White daisies are daisies, but yellow ones are just flowers.

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012!!!!!!!1

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Razors Edge

Oak Lawn, IL

#729556 Sep 3, 2012
Obama has proved a better talker than a persuader. He never moved the needle of public opinion on his health care bill, despite repeated rhetorical exertions. The law passed on sheer partisan muscle. In the high-stakes debt-limit debate, he came up with a shrewd mantra ("a balanced approach") but still left the confrontation as bruised as the congressional Republicans who lacked his megaphone and were deeply divided.

His words have never mattered less. He traveled the country on a multicity gas-prices-aren't-my-fault tour, lighting up crowds with his mockery of Republican devotion to fossil fuels. To no avail. So long as every visit to the pump is a cause for agita, he can give graduate-level tutorials on petrochemistry and it won't matter. His fate is tied to irreducible economic realities.

Though the job market is showing signs of life, the unemployment rate would still be above 10% had so many people not left the labor force. We lost almost 9 million jobs in the recession and have regained a little more than 3 million. It is the weakest economic recovery in memory. Only 20% of people say they are better off than they were four years ago. The Obama mantra is no longer "Hope and change." It is "Hey, it could be worse."

Read more:Lowry.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
1 post removed

“God bless you Goerge W. Bush”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#729558 Sep 3, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep recessions just happen.
Doubling the debt, unfunded tax cuts, unfunded legislation, two quagmire wars.
All irrelevant.
My God, you even lied about the Great Depression.
Hoover was a Republican.
Liar Liar Liar
Democrats voted for both wars, idiot. You forgot to mention that, Dumb Dave.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#729559 Sep 3, 2012
The United States was built not only by business people but also by those who “labor in the oil and gas fields, mines and mills,” and by the “hands that work in restaurants and hotels, in hospitals, banks, and grocery stores.” The words of Rick Santorum, Romney’s former rival, were among the few spoken in Tampa that acknowledged the priority of labor. It’s a theme Democrats should embrace.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ej-dio...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#729560 Sep 3, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree with that gesture, whomever thought it up is just adding to the divisiness in this country and also insulting the office of the Presidency, but to each his own.
People should learn to be more self-reliant and not rely on the government for everything.
Be more like Homer if you will.
Homer's not asking the President to find him a job?

I'm not either.

Methinks these right wingers need to get off Topix, open up Word and start polishing their resumes. They may get their internet cut off if they wait around for Mitt to find them a job. Then they'll have to go use the computers at the public library with all the people who smell funny.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
fred

Milford, CT

#729561 Sep 3, 2012
Matt LaBlanc wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you that conncerned when Dubya could not prove he had legitimate C or D average at Yale, based on his spoken words when he wasn't wired for sound as to what he should say in public? Maybe you should've really obsessed about Dubya's grades.He embodied the word stupidity. Bush gets An F for driving the U.S off the financial cliff.Again there is no excuse why the U.S should've ever been in that shape when Obama took the helm of a sinking ship.
Democrats are 100% responsible for the sub prime fueled housing balloon and the subsequent collapse of the financial sector by blackmailing bankers into issuing trillions of loans to minorities or face the charge of racism.

ps

W released his transcripts. He got better grades than Kerry.

Did the Indonesian dog eating Kenyan mau mau enroll as a foreign student?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#729562 Sep 3, 2012
Obviously nobody cares how fast Mr. Ryan can run, and even his strange marathon misstatement wouldn’t be worth talking about in isolation. What makes this incident so striking is, instead, the way it resonates with the essential Rosie-Ruizness of Mr. Ryan’s whole political persona, which is built around big boasts about accomplishments he hasn’t accomplished.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/opinion/kru...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
And so it goes

Gering, NE

#729563 Sep 3, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep recessions just happen.
Doubling the debt, unfunded tax cuts, unfunded legislation, two quagmire wars.
All irrelevant.
My God, you even lied about the Great Depression.
Hoover was a Republican.
Liar Liar Liar
LIAR< LIAR< LIAR back at you. In a capitalistic economy recessions will happen. Many are self correcting. Some are caused by the Dem sponsored CRA as the most recent one was.

FDR and the Great Depression

FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/FDR-s-Po...

Yes, the response to a RECESSION is very important.
FDR failed.
Obama failed.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#729564 Sep 3, 2012
And so it goes wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the shout out. Remember today that 21 million Americans need a job, and one man needs to be let go for not doing his.
Protest the failure of President Obama by placing an empty chair outside.
"We own this country ... Politicians are employees of ours"
The Wealthy and Corporate Powers own this country.....and Romney/Ryan are gonna prove that to ya.....
Obama 2012

Virginia Beach, VA

#729565 Sep 3, 2012
fred wrote:
<quoted text>
DRUDGE REPORT &#8207;@DRUDGE_REPORT
Group says it found 30,000 dead North Carolinians registered to vote... http://drudge.tw/RaRc20
So what. My late parents are still registered to vote but they don't participate in elections.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
fred

Milford, CT

#729566 Sep 3, 2012
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Carol there's one of your lies. Obama has actually opened up large tracts for offshore drilling. www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/science/earth/31en...
There was a moratorium after the BP disaster to review safety procedures to prevent such a reoccurrence. That's just being prudent.
$5 gas on labor day duh

Keystone pipeline canceled to satisfy RFK Jr and Caroline Kennedy

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
1 post removed

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#729568 Sep 3, 2012
Nostrilis Waxman wrote:
<quoted text>
Democrats voted for both wars, idiot. You forgot to mention that, Dumb Dave.
So if the Democrats do it its ok?

So you're ok with the Democrats passing the Republican brainchild Affordable Care Act?

At least you have a choice, you can vote for either the guy that invented ACA or the guy that brought it to the nation.

Boy, that's a tough call. Glad I'm not in your shoes.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#729569 Sep 3, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text>Should we all just disregard, the fact that during the whole convention....Romney/Ryan never thanked or even mentioned anything about our brave military, fighting in Afghanistan....NOT ONE WORD....DON'T REPUBLICANS CARE ABOUT OUR TROOPS, SERVING IN A WAR, STARTED BY A REPUBLICAN ADMINISTRATION......VETERANS WILL REMEMBER THIS DISRESPECT, COME ELECTION DAY.....
WE didn't start that fire!!!

Eastwood

I mean, what do you say to people? Do you just -- you know -- I know -- people were wondering -- you don’t -- handle that OK. Well, I know even people in your own party were very disappointed when you didn’t close Gitmo.

And that’s -- now we are moving onward. I know you were against the war in Iraq, and that’s okay. But you thought the war in Afghanistan was OK. You know, I mean -- you thought that was something worth doing. We didn’t check with the Russians to see how did it -- they did there for 10 years.

But we did it, and it is something to be thought about, and I think that, when we get to maybe -- I think you’ve mentioned something about having a target date for bringing everybody home. You gave that target date, and I think Mr. Romney asked the only sensible question, you know, he says,“Why are you giving the date out now? Why don’t you just bring them home tomorrow morning?”...

2008 campaign-"BRING THE TROOPS HOME".

WTH are we still doing in Afghanistan??????????

("Cayman isles accts" far more secure than in the hands of afghan Warlord pickpockets!!)

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
fred

Milford, CT

#729570 Sep 3, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Obviously nobody cares how fast Mr. Ryan can run, and even his strange marathon misstatement wouldn’t be worth talking about in isolation. What makes this incident so striking is, instead, the way it resonates with the essential Rosie-Ruizness of Mr. Ryan’s whole political persona, which is built around big boasts about accomplishments he hasn’t accomplished.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/opinion/kru...
What will Bill say next?

NEW YORKER: Bill Clinton on Obama:'A Few Years Ago, This Guy Would Have Been Carrying Our Bags'...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Obama 2012

Virginia Beach, VA

#729571 Sep 3, 2012
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
How did the unions screw things up moron? By negotiating fair wages? By insisting on safe working conditions ?
Labor Unions are responsible for better working conditions for workers just like the NAACP is responsible for better living conditions for blacks. That's why Republicans don't like either of them. They cost both Republicans more of the only thing they really love...MONEY.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
PDUPONT

Chester, MA

#729572 Sep 3, 2012
And so it goes wrote:
<quoted text>
Recessions happen. The Great Depression happened with a Dem in office. It is not the recession but it is how the recession is dealt with!
Obama gets a big F!!
Obama flunked economics in college.
Wrong moron! The Great Depression started with Black Tuesday, September 4, 1929. Herbert Hoover a Republican was in office and he had a Republican dominated Congress to boot.
You deal with a recession by pumping money into the economy and by putting more money into middle class pockets just like Obama did.
You're an idiot!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
fred

Milford, CT

#729573 Sep 3, 2012
Obama 2012 wrote:
<quoted text>
So what. My late parents are still registered to vote but they don't participate in elections.
Any one who opposes voter photo ID plans to cheat. Ya know like the black panthers best friend Holder

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
And so it goes

Gering, NE

#729574 Sep 3, 2012
Since the June 2009 recovery, we’ve added less than 66,000 jobs a month on average, about half of what’s needed just to keep up with population growth.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Homer

Effort, PA

#729575 Sep 3, 2012
Well if we truly are run by the military industrial complex and Mitt has pfromised them 2 trillion additional dollars on top of what we already give them then I fear the election results may be a foregone conclusion.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Dr Guru 191,899
News Indiana religious objections law to take effect... 5 min gary 5
News George W. Bush now more popular than Obama 5 min VN Vet 459
News Chris Christie, once a GOP star, enters 2016 ra... 7 min US4POTUS CHRISTIE... 8
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min then 186,013
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min DanFromSmithville 168,541
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min OzRitz 53,906
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 18 min red and right 332,339
News Governors vow to fight SCOTUS ruling on gay mar... 38 min NorCal Native 468
News Texas Sen. Ted Cruz not backing down on same-se... 1 hr American_Infidel 63
More from around the web