Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1251354 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#664425 Jun 18, 2012
FIRE THE GOP wrote:
I love the Lord?

"I don't care about the poor" - Mitt Romney
Finish the quote.
1 post removed
Jean

Rhinecliff, NY

#664427 Jun 18, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, Jean. They had a plan in 2010. Tenzing is still living in the past.
"It's that the Republicans have staked out a position that requires that they lie, 24/7, 365. Not shade the facts their way. Not put their own spin on the situation. Lie. Big, sloppy, and constantly.

The lies go beyond instantly dismissible claims like President Obama being the "food stamp president" (why you have to go back one whole administration to discover that more people joined the food stamp ranks under Bush than Obama, but then the Republicans don't seem to remember Bush in any case). The blatant lies extend through every aspect of the Republican platform, such as it is. The simple reason is that the Republicans have no ideas left, at least no ideas that have not been tested and proven to be failures again, and again, and again.

The economy didn't just crash under a Republican president, it crashed under Republican policies. It crashed with low taxes. It crashed with deregulated markets. It crashed with huge restrictions on union activity. It crashed with massive cuts in environmental regulations. It crashed with lowered trade barriers. It crashed with big fat Pentagon spending.

They got what they wanted. They got CEOs with no limits on their wealth. They got banks with no limits on their "creativity." They got trade agreements that guaranteed manufacturing could be moved to the dirtiest, cheapest, most desperate source available. They got massive cuts in capital gains taxes and equally large boosts in the wealth they could pass along in estates. They got everything they said would make us all wealthy. They got record oil and gas drilling. They got record giveaways of public land. They got everything they said would create jobs. They got the middle class to shoulder more, more, more of the burden so that those beautiful job creators would be free to work their magic.

They can't say the economy crashed because taxes went up, because they didn't. They can't say that the economy crashed because there was a raft of new regulation, because there wasn't. They can't blame it on "union thugs" or Saul Alinsky or the guy who writes Happy Holidays cards at Hallmark. They can't blame it on a president who was elected when the world was already in free fall. Only, of course they do. They say it because they have no choice."
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/02/12/1063...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“FEED THE DEAD FETUS”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#664428 Jun 18, 2012
MixedandProud6663 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, I see you understand janitorial work very well. You know... others aspire for a higher level in life and are not constrained by Tea Party stupidity.
On Jan 20th, I will send you some free tissues. Don't worry, I won't tell my friends that I am supporting white people again.
Making disparaging remarks about all your brutha's who do janitorial work?

Racist FK!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Windermere, FL

#664429 Jun 18, 2012
Jean wrote:
<quoted text>
Fizzled out?
You are s such a disgusting liar. Laughable . Truly laughable. Health care and 3 trillion US tax dollars for IRAQ..that's your rW prioirity. I'm for taking care of Americans. that's my prioirty .
You don't remember Hillary's health care reform plan being placed in file 13 by Congress? Think it had about the same number of pages as Obama's with the same bureaucratic "surprises".

There wasn't a majority democrat congress making back room deals then though.
1 post removed

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#664431 Jun 18, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
War is hell. They don't say that for no reason.
But let's try another approach. Think about the baby killers who kill babies, women and children en masse because their god tells them to. Maybe that will help.
Then try really, really, REALLY hard to think about the generations of babies who weren't killed and who were spared because evil regimes killing them were wiped out in WWII and in Iraq.
Is not the world a better place for those who would have still been living in it had evil prevailed?
Anything? Testing 1, 2, 3....
How many more civilians died in post-invasion Iraq than before and before US sanctions?

Since they weren't undergoing a state of total war before the invasion I'd be willing to bet more died after the invasion than had we not invaded.

Dragging Hitler into every discussion of this sort is the sign of a weak argument. Saddam hand't invaded and occupied most of a Continent. Saddam also didn't declare war on us.

Did you read the article?
Genie

Lakewood, NJ

#664432 Jun 18, 2012
Jean wrote:
<quoted text>
You said they HAD a plan...THEN...liar.
Your continual lying is very unattractive, but very Obama.
1 post removed

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#664434 Jun 18, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, Jean. They had a plan in 2010. Tenzing is still living in the past.
Hmmm, living in the past??

Who was the birdbrain just on here harping about Hillarycare?
1 post removed

Location hidden

#664436 Jun 18, 2012
Baba Yaga wrote:
Speaking of Illinois...
Tracking homicides in Chicago
http://homicides.redeyechicago.com/date/2010/...
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
HIRE the GOP

Lakewood, NJ

#664437 Jun 18, 2012
FIRE THE GOP wrote:
1 in 4 have concerns about a Mormon high priest as President of the USA....recent poll.
25% <----- THAT IS HUGE!!!! That is millions of voters. From all sides of the aisle.
Wow, I thought it was just me!!!
It IS just you, and the other dwindling Obamabots-in-denial.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#664438 Jun 18, 2012
FIRE THE GOP wrote:
Millions of Republicans will FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA,
AGAIN!!!
Millions of republicans what?
1 post removed
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#664440 Jun 18, 2012
UCLA law professor Adam Winkler, who is briefly quoted in TPM’s article about Justice Antonin Scalia’s reversal on the Constitution ahead of the ‘Obamacare’ ruling, explains in further detail why he believes the flip-flop is revealing.

Specifically, Winkler argues, the only thing that has changed since Scalia’s 2005 embrace of the New Deal-era ruling that underlies the basis for the constitutionality of the individual mandate is the “political implications.”

He writes in an email to TPM:

This is typical Scalia. He respects precedents when they fit his conservative ideology and disregards them when they don’t. He claims that history should guide judges. But nothing about the history of the commerce clause has changed. What’s changed is the political implications of the commerce clause. When its being invoked for law and order conservatives, he favors Wickard. When invoked by liberals to support healthcare reform, he thinks Wickard is bad law. Once again, we see that Scalia’s originalism is a charade.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#664441 Jun 18, 2012
MixedandProud6663 wrote:
<quoted text>
And look what happened... yes sometimes, U of I grads are failures.... but I have hope for you Carol
What a hateful individual.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: May 12

Bennettsville, SC

#664442 Jun 18, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you are only for democracy when certain people win elections.
America is a Constitutional Republic!!!!!!!!!!

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#664443 Jun 18, 2012
Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Same tired old excuse.
You've still not even come close to demonstrating how they somehow "get it" now.
When I hear them talk I hear:
"More government"
"More spending"
"More debt"
You hear:
"We promise we won't fu ck you over like we did the last several times if you'll just give us this one more chance."
How retarded do you have to be to fall for that every time?
Never mind, I know.
Man, you've got it bad for carol.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
1 post removed
TheIndependentMa jority

East Bernstadt, KY

#664445 Jun 18, 2012
Jean wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't pay taxes.
Great.You just tay the f...in your house bobo. No electricity water, phone. Stay off the roads, out of our schools, and businesses, courts, airports...no meds and foods other than what ypu grow yourself with rainwater or your own well. All these goods and services and much more are subsidized by ourtaxes. You republicans all stay home .that would be just great.
That's all I've ever done Jean..pay pay pay...just what I'm supposed to..even OVERLy generous at times.

NO MORE TAXES.
Get it from the leeches and tics. Let us know how that works for ya.
Florida

Lithia, FL

#664446 Jun 18, 2012
FIRE THE GOP wrote:
Just like Palin sunk the ticket last time,
Millions of Republicans will FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA,
AGAIN!!!
just like last time, heee heee haaa haaa fffff you!
F*ck being poor and a loser like you for life, a total idiot with your hand always out moron... We need more rich!!! GFY...
-
It's the culture...

Since: May 11

Mountville, PA

#664447 Jun 18, 2012
Baba Yaga wrote:
<quoted text>
Finish the quote.
Now that's funny. I right winger complaining about quotes being taken out of context.

I understand Mitt was saying he doesn't worry about them because there is a safety net. I think he actually called it a good safety net.

A couple of points.

1) Why isn't he concerned with getting them out of poverty.

2) For a man who runs commercials on "The private sector is fine" deserves to have his comments be taken out of context.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#664448 Jun 18, 2012
Fox News misrepresented a quote by President Obama to accuse him of hypocrisy over an investigation of possible national security leaks.

The Fox & Friends co-hosts claimed that Obama had called for a special counsel to investigate the leak of the identity of covert CIA operative Valerie Plame when he said that "a special counsel will ensure the public's confidence in the investigation and prosecution and help to restore its faith in our government." In fact, the quote came in the context of the Jack Abramoff investigation, and the Bush administration rebuffed calls for a special counsel in that case.

Indeed, Obama was not even a U.S. senator at the time a special counsel was appointed to investigate the Plame leak.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201206180005

And the FOX apology tour continues. Naturally.
Peppy

Lewisville, NC

#664449 Jun 18, 2012
100 Rounds of golf on the wall, 100 rounds of golf.
You take one down, go play a round

and there's 99 rounds of golf on the wall. 99 rounds of golf. You take one down, go play a round.

and there's 98 rounds of golf on the wall......

Guess that is more fun than fixing the economy. Hey, let's go explode some drones after golf, it's the best video game ever.
TheIndependentMa jority

East Bernstadt, KY

#664450 Jun 18, 2012
Jean wrote:
<quoted text>
You're referring of course to people like you hypocrite Kentuckian welfare queens who haven't ever paid your fair share of taxes. Stay in our house and eat your money.
Sorry nutcase, I have MANY, many years in, of paying taxes. ALL my jobs have ALWAYS been ABOVE the tables, and that is how I! have always operated.

HONESTLY, DECENTLY and with INTEGRITY.

No "welfare" here Jean.

I ALWAYS worked-- and earned MY keep (as well as contributed to others).

Might want to have that crazy "eating money" thing checked out by your mental health ppl though--that just isn't normal Jean. Not normal at all.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Governors vow to fight SCOTUS ruling on gay mar... 2 min Mothra 559
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 min Valerie 332,842
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min woodtick57 192,169
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min General Robert E Lee 186,268
News President takes victory lap on Supreme Court Ob... 9 min serfs up 9
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 12 min Brian_G 34,380
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 12 min woodtick57 9,332
News Religious liberty is rallying cry after gay mar... 41 min woodtick57 147
News Donald Trump surges, and Democrats cheer 52 min Orchestration 66
More from around the web