Many veterans still wait weeks for mental health care

Nov 4, 2013 Full story: St. Cloud Times 15

Thousands of veterans seeking help for the first time for mental health problems are waiting longer than the government's goal of counseling them within two weeks, Department of Veterans Affairs data show.

Full Story
Just Sayin

Frankfort, OH

#1 Nov 4, 2013
In order to be a substance abuse counsler at a VA, you must have experienced and than recovered from your own substance abuse issues. I know a service connected Iraq/Afganastan veteran who meets that criteria PLUS he earned a college degree as a substance abuse counsler. After repeated attempts to apply for a substance abuse counsler and other positions at his local VA, it was discovered that a senior member of that Medical Center's Management had been blocking his applications even to the point of removing his 10 point preference from the official record. This was the result of a personal vendetta against a member of the veteran's family. When this was discovered and became common knowledge, it was expected that corrective action would be taken. It was not and the veteran has obtained employment in the private sector. Personnally, I believe he is much better off now because he is able to provide qualtity counseling to both veterans and civilians without the "politics" of a VA POSITION.
Medication Madness

Saint Petersburg, FL

#2 Nov 4, 2013
Here are the starting facts: Death by suicide is at record levels in the armed services. Simultaneously the use of antidepressant drugs is also at record levels, including brand names like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa and Lexapro.

According to the army, in 2007 17% of combat troops in Afghanistan were taking prescription antidepressants or sleeping pills. Inside sources have given me an even bleaker picture: During Vietnam, a mere 1% our troops were taking prescribed psychiatric drugs. By contrast, in the past year one-third of marines in combat zones were taking psychiatric drugs.

Are the pills helping? The army confirms that since 2002 the number of suicide attempts has increased six-fold.

More read: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-peter-breggi...
The Mad Man

Riverside, CA

#3 Nov 5, 2013
Medication Madness wrote:
Here are the starting facts: Death by suicide is at record levels in the armed services. Simultaneously the use of antidepressant drugs is also at record levels, including brand names like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa and Lexapro.
According to the army, in 2007 17% of combat troops in Afghanistan were taking prescription antidepressants or sleeping pills. Inside sources have given me an even bleaker picture: During Vietnam, a mere 1% our troops were taking prescribed psychiatric drugs. By contrast, in the past year one-third of marines in combat zones were taking psychiatric drugs.
Are the pills helping? The army confirms that since 2002 the number of suicide attempts has increased six-fold.
More read: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-peter-breggi...
I know there is no 'cure' at present for PTSD but doping up the mind with drugs only leads to a mental straight jacket which is wrong! The only choice I can see here is to make the veteran FEEL worthwhile and belong in a screwed up society somehow. Give the veteran all the support they need in accomplishing goals. Give them a reason to belong and put the past behind them. Find a way to keep the veteran productive. Give them a reason to belong and feel worthwhile and important to themselves and others that care.
When other veterans from past wars came home, they had to live with the horrors of what they experienced but somehow came out of it.(some of them, not all) In today's society, we focus on too many things that create anxiety and horror.
It takes a very long time for a veteran to adjust to a society so screwed up and WANT to belong. Change places with the veteran who has seen this horror and try and understand what it is like in their mind. That is the ground basis for understanding. It is a start?
Medication Madness

Saint Petersburg, FL

#4 Nov 5, 2013
The Mad Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I know there is no 'cure' at present for PTSD but doping up the mind with drugs only leads to a mental straight jacket which is wrong!
Someone needs to warn Veterans about the real danger of "mental health care".

"At least one in six service members is on some form of psychiatric drug.

And many troops are taking more than one kind, mixing several pills in daily "cocktails" for example, an antidepressant with an antipsychotic to prevent nightmares, plus an anti-epileptic to reduce headaches despite minimal clinical research testing such combinations."

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20100317/NEW...

I'm not a Veteran, just one of millions who took that first pill psychiatry gave me for insomnia that lead to more and more pills to treat the side effects of the pills before them, side effects also being called new 'disorders' also leading to more pills. Millions have lived that nightmare, many are still 'looking for the right meds' and cant figure out the meds are only making them sicker.

But when you complain they say:

"but psychiatry helps some people"

The reasoning, no matter the difference in words, is basically the same; the death of one or a minority is justified if in doing so you help many or a majority, and ensure the happiness of a greater number than those you make suffer and destroy, the issue being reduced to a mere numerical game.

The psych industry only knows one numerical game how many pills they can sell to as many people as possible, those they make suffer and destroy is irrelevant to them.
humanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#5 Feb 16, 2014
The enemy is the members of the mental health industry and foreign medical personnel being trained in the out island schools and then like a Trojan horse dumped on the veterans and in the military services.
Viet Nam Veteran

Chillicothe, OH

#6 Feb 16, 2014
Two weeks? That's absolutely criminal. All it would take is to fire one or two Senior Executive Service employees who run these Medical Centers that are failing our veterans and the waiting time would disappear over night. VA Medical Centers are supposed to be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week but veterans needing mental health services can only recieve help Monday through Friday from 9 to 3 (NOT including their lunch hour). The VA says that 22 Veterans a day are committing suicide, that's over 8000 per year. Just look at the money the VA is saving by not doing their job.
Viet Nam Veteran

Chillicothe, OH

#7 Feb 16, 2014
humanSpirit wrote:
The enemy is the members of the mental health industry and foreign medical personnel being trained in the out island schools and then like a Trojan horse dumped on the veterans and in the military services.
By staffing positions at the VA with incompetants, they think it makes the VA look good. What it shows is that those that are supposed to be in charge at the Medical Center level are not doing their job by assuring that someone is available WHEN THE VETERAN NEEDS THEM, not when it is convient to the mental health employees.
Viet Nam Veteran

Chillicothe, OH

#8 Feb 16, 2014
If the VA is not willing and able to treat our veterans, the VA Healthcare System should be closed. The option is to give every veteran a health care card that can be used to pay for services any where those services can be found. It would be cheaper in the long run and it would put the veteran's care directly into their hands to control instead of leaving them hanging while they wait for appointments that are weeks or months away. Appointments that will be with people who could care less about the qualtity of care our veterans recieve.
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#9 Feb 19, 2014
The Mental Health Industry has no science. The mind drugging of the military and the addiction to medication has political and financial rewards for the Pharmaceutical / Mental Health Industry.

----------

There has been "No" biological defect found for any mental illness or any of the other made to order diagnoses by any neurological study.

Without a test for chemical imbalance the mental health (psychiatry) is limited in the ancillary tests of medicine like an EKG, EEG, blood work or other tests in the diagnoses of a patient. They aren't needed in Psychiatry.

The psychiatric diagnosis is made on the basis of behavior and hearsay.

If we respect metabolic changes based on daily dietary habits, weight gain / loss , terms of the survival of the organisms as a person age along with physical conditioning, physical illness, electrolyte level, gender differences , body temperature, I don't see how the Mental Health and Counseling Industry could conform to any consistency in data with consideration to the above to state a person has a mental disease or illness including PTSD based on a chemical imbalance.

In the past, the APA lied to the American Public and puts the society in danger to mind drug the population.

The Mental Health Industry is a fraud and can't be trusted. They are a threat to the democracy.

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp...
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#10 Feb 19, 2014
The Mental Health Industry has no science. The mind drugging of the military and the addiction to medication has political and financial rewards for the Pharmaceutical / Mental Health Industry.

----------
Baltimore Sun's article by Lisa Chedekel and Matthew Kauffman " Policies on mentally troubled troops questioned" is informative to the problems of psychotropic drug usage on the war front.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/nationworld/ba...
----------

There has been "No" biological defect found for any mental illness or any of the other made to order diagnoses by any neurological study.

Without a test for chemical imbalance the mental health (psychiatry) is limited in the ancillary tests of medicine like an EKG, EEG, blood work or other tests in the diagnoses of a patient. They aren't needed in Psychiatry.

The psychiatric diagnosis is made on the basis of behavior and hearsay.

If we respect metabolic changes based on daily dietary habits, weight gain / loss , terms of the survival of the organisms as a person age along with physical conditioning, physical illness, electrolyte level, gender differences , body temperature, I don't see how the Mental Health and Counseling Industry could conform to any consistency in data with consideration to the above to state a person has a mental disease or illness based on chemical imbalance.

In the past, the APA lied to the American Public and puts the society in danger to mind drug the population.

The Mental Health Industry is a fraud and can't be trusted. They are a threat to the democracy.

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp...

----------

Deaths Murders and Suicides from mind drugs.

SSRI stories

Military

http://ssristories.com/index.php...

Public sector
http://ssristories.com/index.php

----------

Drug Peddling in the Military

http://dissidentvoice.org/2010/06/tracking-th... ;
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#11 Feb 19, 2014
All veterans should be well aware of the medications being prescribed by the doctors at VA who are mainly foreign trained and live under other rules and regulation for administering drugs.

Heart medication that causes anxiety should be eyed as suspicious and having other purposes then cholesterol control or Blood Pressure as their are many that don't created side effects. The heart medication could have purposes leading to mind drugs and control over the veteran. We have seen this with the mind drugs and the mental health industry in the past..

Failure to prescribe pain medication for a GI in need and creating pain and suffering should be monitored and addressed. The same for addiction by mind drugs created by the military.

All medication should be talked about with Family and Friends and researched on the web.
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#12 Feb 19, 2014
Marketing of Madness: The Truth About Psychotropic Drugs

Pasted from <
>

Since: Apr 11

Parkersburg, WV

#13 Feb 20, 2014
When the suicides caused by these drugs happen in mainstream it is hard to pin point it to the antidepressants .Here is a clear way to see what is happening . Increase in medicine , increase in suicides!

I know what the dangers are b/c it happened to me. I was given a medication that caused me to be suicidal . I fought it for months b/c of my children but it was so difficult. Harder than anything I've ever experienced! When your brain is changed by these "medicines" you no longer have the control to reason and it takes over your emotions and mind. I heard the warnings but never imagined it was that strong.! I believe a lot of suicides are caused by the drugs and how they change your mind. I've had parents and family tell me how their loved ones had just started a new antidepressant and how they said they didn't feel "right" then a few days later picked up a gun and shot themselves!

Also the generic drugs are not the same ! There was a forum on here that was removed about people who started Lamictal generic and became very suicidal when on it. The FDA does not protect us anymore cause their funding comes from the companies.

Maybe someone will be smart enough to connect the dots on the increase in antidepressants to armed forces and the increase in suicides! Its here clear as can be but will they do anything about it?
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

#14 Feb 20, 2014
hmariewv wrote:
When the suicides caused by these drugs happen in mainstream it is hard to pin point it to the antidepressants .Here is a clear way to see what is happening . Increase in medicine , increase in suicides!
I know what the dangers are b/c it happened to me. I was given a medication that caused me to be suicidal . I fought it for months b/c of my children but it was so difficult. Harder than anything I've ever experienced! When your brain is changed by these "medicines" you no longer have the control to reason and it takes over your emotions and mind. I heard the warnings but never imagined it was that strong.! I believe a lot of suicides are caused by the drugs and how they change your mind. I've had parents and family tell me how their loved ones had just started a new antidepressant and how they said they didn't feel "right" then a few days later picked up a gun and shot themselves!
Also the generic drugs are not the same ! There was a forum on here that was removed about people who started Lamictal generic and became very suicidal when on it. The FDA does not protect us anymore cause their funding comes from the companies.
Maybe someone will be smart enough to connect the dots on the increase in antidepressants to armed forces and the increase in suicides! Its here clear as can be but will they do anything about it?
Thank you for your honest input. I know this took a lot of guts to write this. This proves you are a better man than the drugs. Keeping people informed is what it is all about and I for one THANK YOU.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

#15 Feb 20, 2014
HumanSpirit wrote:
Marketing of Madness: The Truth About Psychotropic Drugs
Pasted from <http://www.youtube.com/wat ch?v=IgCpa1RlSdQXX>
Thank you also for your input.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 min Cheech the Conser... 304,159
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 min OzRitz 50,215
Moscow warned over Ukraine violence 8 min USA Today 9
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min Blitzking 141,701
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 17 min Pearl Jam 307,762
Palin on Exec Amnesty: - Spoiled' Obama Acting ... 20 min wild child 1
GOP border bill faces internal criticism 22 min wild child 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 30 min John Galt 1,172,116
Gingrich: U.S. 'losing the war' with radical Islam 1 hr Mujahid 81
Ben Carson: Race Relations Have 'Gotten Worse' ... 1 hr barefoot2626 1,783
Scott Walker has no college degree. That's norm... 1 hr barefoot2626 566
More from around the web