Mandate pushed Postal Service into th...

Mandate pushed Postal Service into the red for first quarter

There are 109 comments on the The Washington Post story from Feb 9, 2013, titled Mandate pushed Postal Service into the red for first quarter. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

The U.S. Postal Service lost $1.3 billion during the first quarter, but it could have turned a $100 million profit if not for a congressional mandate that officials have long blamed for stifling post office finances, according to the agency's first-quarter financial statement .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#41 Feb 9, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is BS. The Dems are the American Taliban - taking away freedoms, and killing Americans.
OBAMA LIED 4 AMERICANS DIED
As the republicans created, signed and passed the "Patriot" Act.

What "freedoms" did the Democrats "take away"?

BUSH LIED 4000 AMERICANS DIED.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#42 Feb 9, 2013
Ninthman wrote:
I hope they all lose their pensions and have to eat cat food. F them Gubmint mindless Borgs.
Cat food is too good for you. But you may have a bowl of steaming fecal matter.
1 post removed

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#44 Feb 9, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see your gonna be a child so wont argue with you.
Why makes things cost more for sake of making them cost more??????
Most posts on most subjects you sound like a sane smart person. On this topic you sound like a GOP voter...Why is that???
Because I'm actually a lot more libertarian than I am liberal.

The post office once served a vital purpose which only the government could do at the time, but that time has passed.

End their monopoly on delivering first class mail and see how quickly the private companies compete for that business at a competitive price.

If the post office can survive and compete without taxpayer funding & a government mandated monopoly, then more power to them.
Ninthman

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#45 Feb 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Cat food is too good for you. But you may have a bowl of steaming fecal matter.
Benghazi?
sickofit

Northfield, MN

#46 Feb 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
The post office once served a vital purpose which only the government could do at the time, but that time has passed.
End their monopoly on delivering first class mail and see how quickly the private companies compete for that business at a competitive price.
If the post office can survive and compete without taxpayer funding & a government mandated monopoly, then more power to them.
I am very Libertarian. I do see your point to a degree. But like I said if the Pentagon would get hand sout of post office money the post office would be breaking even or making money....

The post pffice doesnt need tax payer money if there budget wasnt raided.

Since: Dec 07

Athens, TX

#47 Feb 9, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
As the republicans created, signed and passed the "Patriot" Act.
What "freedoms" did the Democrats "take away"?
BUSH LIED 4000 AMERICANS DIED.
Republican For 211 Nay 3 5
Democratic 145 62 4
Independent 1 1
TOTALS 357 66 9

Wouldn't have passed without the dems, meathead!! LMAO

On May 26, 2011, President Barack Obama used an Autopen to sign a four-year extension of three key provisions in the USA PATRIOT Act while he was in France: roving wiretaps, searches of business records (the "library records provision"), and conducting surveillance of "lone wolves" — individuals suspected of terrorist-related activities not linked to terrorist groups.....(we guess your messiah thought it was a good idea!!

An attempt to bomb fuel tanks at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport, the plot to blow up jets bound for the East Coast, a plan to attack a shopping mall in the Chicago area, and another to blow up the tallest building in Los Angeles. All caught through the Patriot Act

Well done, President Bush

Tawas City, Michigan

#48 Feb 9, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
I am very Libertarian. I do see your point to a degree. But like I said if the Pentagon would get hand sout of post office money the post office would be breaking even or making money....
The post pffice doesnt need tax payer money if there budget wasnt raided.
They have a government mandated monopoly. If it's okay for mail delivery, then where does it stop? Govt operated airlines? Govt operated railways? Govt operated power companies?

Stop the mandate and let's see how profitable they would be.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#49 Feb 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't recieve taxpayer funding(since 1982)Taxpayer money is only used in some cases to pay for mailing voter materials to disabled and overseas Americans.

$20.00 to mail a first class letter is "competitive?
sickofit

Northfield, MN

#50 Feb 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
They have a government mandated monopoly. If it's okay for mail delivery, then where does it stop? Govt operated airlines? Govt operated railways? Govt operated power companies?
I agree mandate should be gone and let companies try to compete. They wont be able to though. As the post pffice only has to break even...Companies need to make money and therefore it will cost alot more. Also 70% of package I have got from UPS or FEd ex in last 4 years has been damaged and worthless junk. Never had one single package or letter lost or destroyed by post office in last 30 years.....

Who would use more expensive gonna destoy your crap private companies anyway.
sickofit

Northfield, MN

#51 Feb 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and I mailed a letter to California a simple normal letter by Fed-ex..Cost me $18....Same letter would cost a first class stamp at under 50cents.....PRIVATE COMPANIES CANT COMPETE DO TO THEY HAVE TO MAKE MONEY........

Tawas City, Michigan

#52 Feb 9, 2013
<quoted text>
They don't recieve taxpayer funding(since 1982)Taxpayer money is only used in some cases to pay for mailing voter materials to disabled and overseas Americans.
$20.00 to mail a first class letter is "competitive?
By law no private company can deliver first class letters, so I don't know where you're getting your $20 figure from.

That's part of the whole govt monopoly thing.

Tawas City, Michigan

#53 Feb 9, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and I mailed a letter to California a simple normal letter by Fed-ex..Cost me $18....Same letter would cost a first class stamp at under 50cents.....PRIVATE COMPANIES CANT COMPETE DO TO THEY HAVE TO MAKE MONEY........
Hmmmm, well then if private companies supposedly can't compete, there would be no need for a federally mandated monopoly.

Nope, it WASN'T the same as a "normal" first class letter, because by law FedEx can't deliver a first class letter.

Drop the law banning private companies from delivering first class mail, and the post office can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

Tawas City, Michigan

#54 Feb 9, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree mandate should be gone and let companies try to compete. They wont be able to though. As the post pffice only has to break even...Companies need to make money and therefore it will cost alot more. Also 70% of package I have got from UPS or FEd ex in last 4 years has been damaged and worthless junk. Never had one single package or letter lost or destroyed by post office in last 30 years.....
Who would use more expensive gonna destoy your crap private companies anyway.
Since UPS & FedEx and other private companies seem to be profitable, I'm guessing millions of people use them.

Like I said, drop the monopoly and let the free market decide.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#55 Feb 9, 2013
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
Republican For 211 Nay 3 5
Democratic 145 62 4
Independent 1 1
TOTALS 357 66 9
Wouldn't have passed without the dems, meathead!! LMAO
On May 26, 2011, President Barack Obama used an Autopen to sign a four-year extension of three key provisions in the USA PATRIOT Act while he was in France: roving wiretaps, searches of business records (the "library records provision"), and conducting surveillance of "lone wolves" — individuals suspected of terrorist-related activities not linked to terrorist groups.....(we guess your messiah thought it was a good idea!!
An attempt to bomb fuel tanks at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport, the plot to blow up jets bound for the East Coast, a plan to attack a shopping mall in the Chicago area, and another to blow up the tallest building in Los Angeles. All caught through the Patriot Act
Well done, President Bush
"An attempt to bomb fuel tanks at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport"

It was so "serious" when the N.Y. Times, the following day put the story on page 37.

A local undercover officer foiled that "plot".

"a plan to attack a shopping mall in the Chicago area"

The FBI are the ones that "foiled" that one, only because of a threat in a "blog".

"to blow up the tallest building in Los Angeles"

Again the FBI and local police recieved a telephone call.

The "Patriot" Act didn't have squat to do with ANY of it.

"Good" job president Bush.

You should be in prison.

Poor teabagger.
sickofit

Northfield, MN

#56 Feb 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm, well then if private companies supposedly can't compete, there would be no need for a federally mandated monopoly.
Nope, it WASN'T the same as a "normal" first class letter, because by law FedEx can't deliver a first class letter.
Drop the law banning private companies from delivering first class mail, and the post office can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.
THEY CANT COMPETE..........You can mail a normal letter by Fed-ex if you want no law againt it...Just cost a fortune. Try to use facts...

Do you seriously think Fed-ex or UPS could ship a letter anywhere in USA for less then 50 cents?????? Post office dont need to make profit companies do...THEY CANT COMPETE.

And whow anst thet mail mangled and lost like UPS and Fed-ex do all the time??????????

I ship for my business over $5000 a year in small packages and letters through the post office...That cost would double if not triple if I had to use fed ex or ups...

PUT ME OUT OF BUSINESS IS WHAT IT WOULD DO....
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#57 Feb 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
By law no private company can deliver first class letters, so I don't know where you're getting your $20 figure from.
That's part of the whole govt monopoly thing.
I don't know about that but the cheapest letter rate you can get delivered from UPS or FEDEX is just under $20.00.
sickofit

Northfield, MN

#58 Feb 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Since UPS & FedEx and other private companies seem to be profitable, I'm guessing millions of people use them.
Like I said, drop the monopoly and let the free market decide.
I am all for the free market..NO ONE WILL PAY $5-$20 TO MAIL A LETTER IN THE USA..........And that is what it will cost.

Who would do that??/ Would you pay more for worse service and chance of car or house payment not making it on time???????

NOT ONE TIME IN LAST 20 YEARS HAS ANYTHING I SHIPPED BY FED EX OR UPS ARRIVED ON TIME AND 70% OF TIME THERE WAS DAMAGE.........

My mailman puts packages in my outdorr lock box and even puts them in a plastic bag to make sure rain doesnt wreck them... UPS AND FEDEX THROW IT AT DOOR AND LEAV IT OUT TO BE STOLEN AND DESTROYED BY WEATHER......

NO THANKS........Oh and I gave key to my store to mailman....I WOULD NOT TRUST A FED EX OR UPS DRIVER WITH A KEY....

Tawas City, Michigan

#59 Feb 9, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
THEY CANT COMPETE..........You can mail a normal letter by Fed-ex if you want no law againt it...Just cost a fortune. Try to use facts...
Do you seriously think Fed-ex or UPS could ship a letter anywhere in USA for less then 50 cents?????? Post office dont need to make profit companies do...THEY CANT COMPETE.
And whow anst thet mail mangled and lost like UPS and Fed-ex do all the time??????????
I ship for my business over $5000 a year in small packages and letters through the post office...That cost would double if not triple if I had to use fed ex or ups...
PUT ME OUT OF BUSINESS IS WHAT IT WOULD DO....
Federal law bans any private company from delivering a first class letter. The only exceptions are for so-called urgent or express letters; they're called Private Express Statutes.

Google it.

By FEDERAL LAW those urgent letters HAVE to cost AT LEAST $3 or double what the Post Office would charge for priority mail.

If FedEx & UPS & others can't compete, then the post office has nothing to worry about.

So let's repeal the laws banning them from carrying first class letters and let's find out.

Tawas City, Michigan

#60 Feb 9, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't know about that but the cheapest letter rate you can get delivered from UPS or FEDEX is just under $20.00.
Because by law they are banned from offering first class delivery of letters.

With increased volume the prices would no doubt come down.

Tawas City, Michigan

#61 Feb 9, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
I am all for the free market..NO ONE WILL PAY $5-$20 TO MAIL A LETTER IN THE USA..........And that is what it will cost.
Who would do that??/ Would you pay more for worse service and chance of car or house payment not making it on time???????
NOT ONE TIME IN LAST 20 YEARS HAS ANYTHING I SHIPPED BY FED EX OR UPS ARRIVED ON TIME AND 70% OF TIME THERE WAS DAMAGE.........
My mailman puts packages in my outdorr lock box and even puts them in a plastic bag to make sure rain doesnt wreck them... UPS AND FEDEX THROW IT AT DOOR AND LEAV IT OUT TO BE STOLEN AND DESTROYED BY WEATHER......
NO THANKS........Oh and I gave key to my store to mailman....I WOULD NOT TRUST A FED EX OR UPS DRIVER WITH A KEY....
How is a govt mandated monopoly a free market?

Obviously you have a grudge against FedEx & UPS.

Repeal the monopoly so have the FREEDOM TO CHOOSE whomever we want.

If you don't want to use FedEx or UPS, then you wouldn't have to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rep. Maxine Waters takes impeachment campaign t... 1 min californio 20
News Clinton: Trump's budget shows "unimaginable lev... 2 min positronium 56
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghostmoron 1,535,805
News Obama given rock star welcome in Berlin 2 min CodeTalker 75
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min AMERICAN SUNSHINE 270,164
News James Comey fired as FBI director 3 min INFIDEL 2,742
News Fact check: Medicaid a target for cuts despite ... 3 min Retribution 75
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min Tm Cln 2,572
News Trump claims witch hunt, says he's most hounded... 7 min Drumpf Disaster 399
More from around the web