Democrats find living on minimum wage...

Democrats find living on minimum wage is tough

There are 493 comments on the USA Today story from Jul 28, 2014, titled Democrats find living on minimum wage is tough. In it, USA Today reports that:

Former Ohio governor Ted Strickland ran out of money and walked instead of taking taxis.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at USA Today.

“Life is Good”

Since: Nov 08

Perpignan

#516 Aug 9, 2014
Captain Yesterday wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked for EVIDENCE, dickhead. How was I "proven wrong?"
Not surprising that Righties don't know what evidence is, I guess.
Evidence is what Lois Learners emails show gumdrop. Now back to your lego's

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#517 Aug 9, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> More than a trickle, and less than a torrent is perfect.....this economy will strengthen even more, with less global unrest and no overheated anything...lol....Enough variables as it is....
That is a Liberal Dream.

Location hidden

#518 Aug 9, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Congress could help a bit more, by stopping the tax breaks for the companies that outsource.......
Liberal Demcorats will never go for that and it was Liberal Demcorats that were for outsourcing to begin with which Bill Clinton proved by giving China Most-Favored-Nation Trade Status in 1993 which the Liberal Democrats said was going to benefit the american people along with NAFTA which clinton enacted into law in 1994.

Statement on Most-Favored-Nation Trade Status for China
May 28, 1993

Yesterday the American people won a tremendous victory as a majority of the House of Representatives joined me in adopting our plan to revitalize America's economic future.
Today Members of Congress have joined me to announce a new chapter in United States policy toward China.

I am happy to have with me today key congressional leaders on this issue. I am also honored to be joined by representatives of the business community and several distinguished Chinese student leaders. Their presence here is a tangible symbol of the unity of our purpose. I particularly want to recognize Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell of Maine and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi of California. Their tireless dedication to the cause of freedom in China has given voice to our collective concerns. I intend to continue working closely with Congress as we pursue our China policy.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#519 Aug 9, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree and so do the experts.
Doubletalk?....... Logic still prevails that it is wrong to continue tax breaks and subsidies for Big Oil and Corporations Outsourcing....especially after hearing the ridiculous Reich accuse President Obama for outsourcing......

Location hidden

#520 Aug 9, 2014
Republicans want tax breaks for Companie's that outsource AMERICAN JOBS.....
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#521 Aug 9, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Doubletalk?....... Logic still prevails that it is wrong to continue tax breaks and subsidies for Big Oil and Corporations Outsourcing....especially after hearing the ridiculous Reich accuse President Obama for outsourcing......
Who accused DumBama for outsourcing? I didn't read any of that.

Outsourcing has been going on for many years now. As Fact Check points out, it has little to do with tax breaks especially when you consider that we have the highest corporate tax rate in the world. That's like taking a pizz on a three alarm house fire.

Outsourcing is a combination of many problems never addressed by the government. And with Democrats, they want to do the exact opposite and make things worse on our job creators such as taxing them for not providing medical coverage to their employees, having them report their expenditures to the IRS, increasing their expenses like electricity usage, having the owners pay a higher personal tax rate for those making over $450,000 per year, increasing minimum wage which will eventually lead to higher wages across the board.

This is not helping us keep or bring jobs back here. Government doesn't create jobs--the private sector creates jobs. All government can do is make it more or less inviting for job creators to do so. And in all my years, I've never seen a more anti-business President in my lifetime as DumBama. Whatever DumBama has done with businesses, we have to do the exact opposite.
fc ff jg /2950

Logan, WV

#522 Aug 9, 2014
Pp
8 posts removed

“Life is Good”

Perpignan

#531 Aug 9, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Obama's Jobs Czar sent whole companies to China moron.........now what
brad

Marlborough, CT

#532 Aug 9, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Oblamer is outsourcing security at our foreign embassies,it don't get any worse than that.
2 posts removed
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#535 Aug 9, 2014
I just had to post this due to the fact I wrote something earlier where I explained how industry reacts when labor becomes too expensive:

McDonald’s Replacing Cashiers With Machines?
Posted by Kemberlee Kaye Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 1:45pm

“Would you like fries with that?” may soon be a long forgotten relic of American pop culture.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/08/mcdonald...
Cat74

Des Plaines, IL

#536 Aug 9, 2014
When you pay people not to work, they will stay home, and play video games. Our people have lost the work ethic. Plus, the educated workers are overseas, not in America.

Location hidden

#537 Aug 9, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
When you pay people not to work, they will stay home, and play video games. Our people have lost the work ethic. Plus, the educated workers are overseas, not in America.
Very true in what you say.

“Life is Good”

Perpignan

#538 Aug 10, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
To liberals, welfare is a career choice.
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#539 Aug 10, 2014
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
To liberals, welfare is a career choice.
Right, professional Pedestrians. LOL!

“Life is Good”

Perpignan

#540 Aug 10, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, professional Pedestrians. LOL!
Obama says Iraq situation will take more than 'weeks' to solve, since it took him months to decide anything.

“Life is Good”

Perpignan

#541 Aug 10, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
The Callow President
“Stop just hatin’ all the time,” Obama says, sounding more like a shallow teenager than a president.
By Rich Lowry

‘Stop just hatin’ all the time.” If you haven’t been following the news, you might not know whether this bon mot was uttered by a character on the ABC Family show Pretty Little Liars or by the president of the United States.

Of course, it was the leader of the free world at a Kansas City, Mo., rally last week, imploring congressional Republicans to start cooperating with him. The line struck a characteristically — and tellingly — juvenile and plaintive note.

How many books and articles have been written by conservatives seeking to divine the philosophical beliefs and psychological motivations lurking beneath the president’s smooth exterior?

It’s certainly true that the president is much further left than he’d ever admit, but the deepest truth about Obama is that there is no depth. He’s smart without being wise. He’s glib without being eloquent. He’s a celebrity without being interesting. He’s callow.

It’s a trope on the right to say that Obama has quit, that he’s not interested in the job anymore. It isn’t true. If you are smug and unwilling to bend from your (erroneous) presumptions of how the world works, this is what presidential leadership looks like.

Location hidden

#542 Aug 10, 2014
The 7.5 Million People Who Can't Find Full-Time Employment

By Amanda Alix

August 10, 2014

The Great Recession has left an indelible mark on American workers, saddling the labor market with a historically high number of long-term unemployed and discouraged workers.

But, even among the working, troubles persist. The U.S. currently has 7.5 million persons working part-time involuntarily, simply because they cannot find full-time jobs. For a host of reasons, this state of affairs is not only depressing wages for the affected workers, but is harming the entire American workforce.

Part-time work dilutes jobs figures
The number of those employed part-time for economic reasons – as the Bureau of Labor Statistics calls them – is disturbingly high, a mere 2.2 million fewer than the number of Americans currently considered unemployed. Part-time work has become a bit of an epidemic in this post-crisis economy, and the effects are obvious on the labor market as a whole.

The average number of hours worked per week in July, for example, was a dismal 34.5 hours for the fifth month in a row, far short of the once-common 40 hours. Pay remains stuck in a rut, too, with hourly pay increasing a measly 2% over the past 12 months.

The plight of the part-timer
It is easy to see why so many part-time workers can bring down average workweek numbers, as well as pay. Part-timers are often in no position to negotiate pay raises, and suffer from wildly fluctuating work schedules that can cause variations of several hours from one work week to the next.

The issue of irregular work schedules has become huge. Employers schedule employees to maximize their profits, often with no input from the affected workers – and very little notice. A recent study shows that nearly half of all part-time hourly workers get a maximum of one week's advance notice of the hours they will be working for the next week. This situation makes it nearly impossible to coordinate more than one part-time job, which many workers may need to help make ends meet.

Incredibly, erratic work schedules can even include "on-call" status for hourly part-time workers, who are not always paid for a minimum of four hours when they are called in to work. The problem has become so severe that several Democrats on the House Education and the Workforce Committee have introduced legislation called the "Schedules That Work Act" to help give employees more say in their workplace scheduling.

A lop-sided state of affairs
The optimizing of work schedules in this way can be a boon to employers, in several ways. Not only does the practice yield immediate, profitable results for individual businesses, but a steady supply of desperate workers helps keep overall wages down, as part-timers can be used to supplement the full-time workforce, as well as help businesses avoid overtime costs.

Considering the win-win situation for employers, there seems little motivation for them to alter their current hiring and scheduling practices. Unless legislation forces a change, the current state of affairs will continue to be a burden for American workers still struggling to recover from the Great Recession.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/08...

Location hidden

#543 Aug 10, 2014
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
The 7.5 Million People Who Can't Find Full-Time Employment......A lop-sided state of affairs......
Considering a U.S Population of approx. 330 Million.....Are you searching for an attainable Utopia?....
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#544 Aug 10, 2014
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama says Iraq situation will take more than 'weeks' to solve, since it took him months to decide anything.
He decided alright. He decided that reelection was more important than the fate of an entire country of people. Now that he's reelected and realizes the trouble he started, he wants to look like he's trying to clean up the mess he made.

You can't send in a community organizer to do the job of a leader.

Location hidden

#545 Aug 10, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Considering a U.S Population of approx. 330 Million.....Are you searching for an attainable Utopia?....
Consider too that only 66 percent of the US population is between the ages of 16- 64 and the rest of the US population isnt working either and if you go by the Numbers that were released by the BLS 44% of the people between the ages of 16-64 are not working.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Time to go? 6 min HillarysNeighbor 2,369
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min positronium 1,262,894
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min ChristineM 171,646
News House to vote on 'sanctuary cities' bill 8 min An NFL Fan 200
News Hillary Clinton is promising that all homes wil... 9 min HillarysNeighbor 4
News Hillary Clinton: 'People should and do trust me' 11 min HillaryKills 28
News Media Buzz: Why the Trump spousal 'rape' story ... 14 min Factoid 27
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 23 min HILLARY 2016 189,926
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Coffee Party 336,416
More from around the web