Democrats find living on minimum wage is tough

Jul 28, 2014 Full story: USA Today 493

Former Ohio governor Ted Strickland ran out of money and walked instead of taking taxis.

Full Story

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#383 Aug 4, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> More than enough reason to raise taxes on the Top 5% percent, eh?.......
I guess if you want to kill more jobs and investment capital for funds to be thrown away on social plans that have never worked.........have at it. It's what Obama did anyway.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#384 Aug 4, 2014
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>I guess if you want to kill more jobs and investment capital for funds to be thrown away on social plans that have never worked.........have at it. It's what Obama did anyway.
Your theory has been soundly debunked....see how easy it is to find that, if you dare?
Yep2

Watseka, IL

#385 Aug 4, 2014
Since the rich make the rules just make them tax themselves.
1 post removed
Cat74

Roselle, IL

#387 Aug 4, 2014
Liberals did nothing for America. Americans have a work ethic, that liberals do not have, and Americans believed in getting an education, liberals, not so much. Liberals will be glad to share what Americans have created, but they won't work for it.
foster

Ashburn, VA

#388 Aug 4, 2014
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>I guess if you want to kill more jobs and investment capital for funds to be thrown away on social plans that have never worked.........have at it. It's what Obama did anyway.
The Bush historic tax cuts did not promote job growth in America. The ultimately collapsed jobs and capitalism.
foster

Ashburn, VA

#389 Aug 4, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
Liberals did nothing for America. Americans have a work ethic, that liberals do not have, and Americans believed in getting an education, liberals, not so much. Liberals will be glad to share what Americans have created, but they won't work for it.
Libreral States are more productive, better paid and better educated. Conservative States are Aid dependent and economic waste lands
sigh

Pembroke, NC

#390 Aug 4, 2014
anyone who says you can manage minimum wage must have never tried to fill up there car with gas.
Eleanor

Mundelein, IL

#391 Aug 4, 2014
sigh wrote:
anyone who says you can manage minimum wage must have never tried to fill up there car with gas.
Minimum wage people can afford to buy a car??(thanks for sharing)

However, if buying gas for the car is a problem, then one should either improve their skills for a better wage, or accept the fact that walking or public transportation is the best they can provide for themselves..
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#392 Aug 4, 2014
sigh wrote:
If you can't afford to fill up your car on minimum wage, Then the solution is to have two minimum wage jobs.

There is no law in this country that restricts our citizens to one job or a 40 hour work week. I worked overtime or two jobs many times in my life; sometimes both.
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#393 Aug 4, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Your theory has been soundly debunked....see how easy it is to find that, if you dare?
I dare:

ECONOMY
Minimum Wage Hike Would Eliminate 500,000 Jobs
James Sherk /@JamesBSherk / February 18, 2014

Surprise, surprise: An analysis released today found that a proposed minimum wage hike would eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Today the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) announced it agreed with the Heritage Foundation’s analysis of President Obama’s proposed minimum wage increase. Of course the CBO did not put it that way. But the agency came to the same conclusion Heritage did: a $10.10 minimum wage has no historical precedent and would jettison hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Many liberals argue that hiking the minimum wage will not cause employers to reduce hiring, but will do just the opposite. They contend it will increase demand, stimulate the economy, and boost hiring. They further argue the minimum wage stood above $10 an hour in the 1960s. Raising it to $10.10 an hour would (supposedly) only return it to this previous level.

The Heritage Foundation found this analysis questionable. The most accurate inflation measures show that the minimum wage has never stood much above $8 an hour. So the President actually proposes hiking the minimum wage one-seventh above its all-time high. That would strongly encourage employers to hire fewer less skilled workers. Heritage Foundation analysis concluded that—even accounting for any stimulus effects—the proposed minimum wage hike would cost 300,000 jobs.

http://dailysignal.com/2014/02/18/minimum-wag...

And before you criticize the source, there are a lot of those hyperlink thingys you can click on.
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#394 Aug 4, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> More than enough reason to raise taxes on the Top 5% percent, eh?.......
How much more would you like them to be raised? The top 10% of wage earners in this country already pay over 70% of all federal income taxes for us. What figure would you like to see if that's not enough?

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#395 Aug 4, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bush historic tax cuts did not promote job growth in America. The ultimately collapsed jobs and capitalism.
ET Call Home. 555-yur-anus.

<strongJeffrey A. Miron is a senior lecturer and the director of undergraduate studies in economics at Harvard University and a senior fellow at the Cato Institute. He blogs at jeffreymiron.com and is the author of "Libertarianism, from A to Z." </strong

Extending the Bush tax cuts — permanently — is a crucial step in restoring economic growth. The Bush cuts provided lower taxes on ordinary income, especially for taxpayers at the high end of the income distribution. These are some of the most energetic and productive people in society; raising tax rates would discourage their effort and entrepreneurship. High-income taxpayers also have multiple ways of avoiding high tax rates, so any revenue gain from raising rates would be modest.

The Bush cuts also lowered taxes on dividend and capital gains income; maintaining these lower rates is even more important for economic performance. Capital is mobile: when it is taxed heavily here, it flees somewhere else, meaning lower investment and employment in the United States. And because capital income taxes discourage investment or drive it overseas, they generate little if any tax revenue.
Opponents of the tax cuts do not seriously dispute these claims about the productivity benefits of lower rates. Instead, their real objection is that the Bush tax cuts (allegedly) favor the wealthy.
1 post removed

“Captain Yesterday's the Future”

Since: Oct 10

New New York

#397 Aug 4, 2014
Yep2 wrote:
Hope they're not the same ones who voted for Harry Truman.
The only KKK president.
A KKK member when younger, for political purposes, he abandoned them long before becoming President.

He also integrated the U.S. armed forces, something no racist would do, obviously.

Including you.

New New York

#398 Aug 4, 2014
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>ET Call Home. 555-yur-anus.
<strongJeffrey A. Miron is a senior lecturer and the director of undergraduate studies in economics at Harvard University and a senior fellow at the Cato Institute. He blogs at jeffreymiron.com and is the author of "Libertarianism, from A to Z." </strong
Extending the Bush tax cuts — permanently — is a crucial step in restoring economic growth. The Bush cuts provided lower taxes on ordinary income, especially for taxpayers at the high end of the income distribution. These are some of the most energetic and productive people in society; raising tax rates would discourage their effort and entrepreneurship. High-income taxpayers also have multiple ways of avoiding high tax rates, so any revenue gain from raising rates would be modest.
The Bush cuts also lowered taxes on dividend and capital gains income; maintaining these lower rates is even more important for economic performance. Capital is mobile: when it is taxed heavily here, it flees somewhere else, meaning lower investment and employment in the United States. And because capital income taxes discourage investment or drive it overseas, they generate little if any tax revenue.
Opponents of the tax cuts do not seriously dispute these claims about the productivity benefits of lower rates. Instead, their real objection is that the Bush tax cuts (allegedly) favor the wealthy.
Jeffy and the Cato Institute are right-wing toilet fish. Completely worthless AND they stink.

Get lost. You don't know a damn thing about taxes or economics.

New New York

#399 Aug 4, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
How much more would you like them to be raised? The top 10% of wage earners in this country already pay over 70% of all federal income taxes for us. What figure would you like to see if that's not enough?
I want75% marginal tax rate on the 1%ers, troll.

Love the deceptive way you switch from percentage of wealth to percentage of taxes paid. Most normal people think the rich SHOULD shoulder the nation's tax burden.

You, OTOH, would prefer to stick your nose in the seat of their pants, or lick their boots.:)

New New York

#400 Aug 4, 2014
Le Jimbo wrote:
Rich people, by and large, don't provide jobs or investment capital, dunderhead. That's just another Rightie talking-point.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#401 Aug 4, 2014
Captain Yesterday wrote:
<quoted text>
Rich people, by and large, don't provide jobs or investment capital, dunderhead. That's just another Rightie talking-point.
no they ay not, but those of us that do providde jobs certainly depend on them. as a former owner of a landscape design?install firm, i made most of my money from rich people, as did the employees i hired. while working in their yards installing beautiful gardens, i also noticed the pool company guy working there a few days a week, the lawn guys also, the window cleaners, the cleaning lady, etc, etc.

dude, once i made a name for myself as a perennial garden designer, i made shitloads of money from rich people...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#402 Aug 4, 2014
Captain Yesterday wrote:
<quoted text>
I want75% marginal tax rate on the 1%ers, troll.
Love the deceptive way you switch from percentage of wealth to percentage of taxes paid. Most normal people think the rich SHOULD shoulder the nation's tax burden.
You, OTOH, would prefer to stick your nose in the seat of their pants, or lick their boots.:)
and they do shoulder that burden, so what is your problem?

what does the remainder of the taxpayers bank account matter to you? why is it any of your business int eh first place?

the rich get the exact same amount of gov't you do, yet we pay for most of it..(in fact, the poor get far, far far more gov't than the wealthy do....)
Yep2

Saint Augustine, FL

#403 Aug 4, 2014
Political purposes wahahahahahaha!!!! SPOT ON dude!

Truman quit the KKK because they oppose catholicism - many of Truman's friends were Irish catholics.

Like his boss and political patron the Irish mobster Pendergast of Kansas City.

He made no secret of his feelings for blacks, whom he once compared to chinamen.

He "integrated" the US military by breaking up black military units and scattering them among white units.

Leftists are stupid, lazy creatures.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#404 Aug 4, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
Libreral States are more productive, better paid and better educated. Conservative States are Aid dependent and economic waste lands
When Liberals state this they ignore severral things.
1) The vast majority of Federal Land is in Conservative States.
2) The Vast majority of US military bases are in Conservative States.
3) The Majority of the US Military is from Conservative States and the Vast Majority of Military Retirees are in Conservative States.
4) Retirees on Social Security have been flocking to Conservative States for years., driving up the amount of Federal Aid they states get.
And guess which area have the Highest Poverty rate now? This year California, my home State Beat out Mississippi for that (Dis)Honor. Might mention second place now also belong to Washington DC another place Democrats have total control.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/07/cali...
It both shames and Pains me that with Total Democratic control California is fast heading downhill into a cesspool that does nothing but shame our Nation.If anyone wants to see what happens when Democrats get total control, just look at my State.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 14 min The Dude 117,359
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 16 min D-U-H 50,041
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 min Earthling-1 47,007
The Religion of Global Warming (Apr '12) 42 min litesong 22
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 48 min Jay 155,437
New Zealand Jihadist Wants to Leave Syria. Ther... 49 min jihadi kiwi in Syria 17
Hey, Congress: Vote on the Damn War 51 min Sgt Prepper 11
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Quirky 265,596
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr RoxLo 1,115,129

US Politics People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE