In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 Full story: Spiked 47,724

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Full Story

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#40166 Oct 10, 2012
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
This made more sense before you posted it, eh?
I know sentences longer than five words throw you.

Whoops!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#40167 Oct 10, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know sentences longer than five words throw you.
Whoops!
Don't get angry; get good.

Since: Aug 12

Dickson, TN

#40168 Oct 10, 2012
We should tax the top 90% at 100$ so we can pay for 40% of our spending on war
1 post removed

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#40170 Oct 10, 2012
Gods shoeshine wrote:
100$ is way too cheapo.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#40171 Oct 10, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
As has been pointed out to you SEVERAL times, the 47 percent includes:
American military working on the front line of Afghanistan, in combat zone
More than 60 percent of the 47 percent work full-time, just at poverty level
Over 20 percent are seniors collecting SSI
As you say: you are ignorant of the facts, it just that you continue to dwell here in your ignorance.
Since you failed to source or link your data ... I'm no better off than when I started. I've heard it "bandied about" from more than one person that we are nearing 50% working and 50% collecting various entitlements ... that is, not working. Some people, such as those in the armed forces are certainly more entitled than others. Presumably, when we cross the 50% threshold, the system will become unsustainable. Regardless of how many times it is pointed out to me, references such as your offering above are not really dripping in reliability. You are someone who thinks I'm some kind of fraud, although how and more importantly why the details of my mundane experience are so unbelievable baffles me. I'm sorry, but Topix would bore me to tears if I had to have a Google window open to verify facts or a Wall Street Journal open for handy reference.

Texas, USA

#40172 Oct 10, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Or, you haven't been near enough to the top to be counted as important enough to get rid of.
Motorola is pretty big, Litton Resources division of Litton Industries, Western Geophysical division of Western Atlas ... but ... quite right ... way way way down ... as mentioned previously I'm a technician, I fix stuff ... you know, blue collar stuff ... Blue Collar Philosopher ... I make no pretensions. I'm pretty good at it, I derive a measure of satisfaction from it. You don't lay off the machines that fix the machines. I tend to "look down" at salesmen, bean counters and executives as they tend to look down at people in my line ... even though they depend upon us utterly. I don't feel special or anything ... most techs are reasonably intelligent, but have little or no formal education. We're kind of in limbo.

Texas, USA

#40173 Oct 10, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>And, unlike a lot of writing, it takes a bit of effort to read.
It does. No so the novel "Carrion Comfort" from Dan Simmons. An easy 900 page, page turner.

Texas, USA

#40174 Oct 10, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not after you've been exposed as a fraud, I think not.
You're funny barefoot. I make no claims as a historian or student of the cold war. I spent 72-74 on a plateau in Ethiopia and 74-76 on an island in the middle of the Atlantic.. Sorry I missed DEFCON3, maybe I made a note but I lost the key to my diary a long time ago.

You said mention Meir ... okay ... MEIR!! Wasn't she Prime Minister or whatever of Israel during the Yom Kippur war? Didn't I say it had something to do with that war? What do you want from me?!?!? Was it her PMS that caused this near Global Meltdown?!?!? Jeez.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#40175 Oct 10, 2012
Gods shoeshine wrote:
Or maybe we should get out of the war and save 100% of our spending on it.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#40176 Oct 10, 2012
Faith
Does Obama‘s Mystery Ring Really Have ’There Is No God Except Allah’ Inscribed in Arabic?
Posted on October 10, 2012 at 6:30pm by Billy Hallowell

President Barack Obama's ring (Photo Credit: WND)

A World Net Daily (WND) report alleging that a ring President Barack Obama wears on his left hand includes the Islamic and Arabic phrase,“There is no God but Allah,” has been making its way across social media and the blogosphere.

The article cites two Obama critics as sources who claim that the president has been wearing the ring, which apparently now doubles as his wedding band, for the past 30 years. We’ll let WND describe the scenario to you in the outlet’s own words:

As a student at Harvard Law School, then-bachelor Barack Obama’s practice of wearing a gold band on his wedding-ring finger puzzled his colleagues.

Now, newly published photographs of Obama from the 1980s show that the ring Obama wore on his wedding-ring finger as an unmarried student is the same ring Michelle Robinson put on his finger at the couple’s wedding ceremony in 1992.

Moreover, according to Arabic-language and Islamic experts, the ring Obama has been wearing for more than 30 years is adorned with the first part of the Islamic declaration of faith, the Shahada:“There is no god except Allah.”

Some critics will likely seize upon this article to claim that Obama is a Muslim and that this is the proof that’s needed to out his purportedly secretly-held faith. After all, the alleged phrase that some claim is in the ring’s design is part of the shahada, the First Pillar of Islam and the declaration of belief that adherents must accept in order to be counted as Muslims.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#40177 Oct 10, 2012
Politics
‘Are You Gonna Do What I Think You’re Gonna Do?’: Latest O’Keefe Video Purportedly Shows DNC Staffer Helping Woman Vote Twice
Posted on October 10, 2012 at 4:35pm by Madeleine Morgenstern

Image source: Project Veritas/YouTube

Editor’s note: See updates below.

A new undercover video from conservative activist James O‘Keefe’s Project Veritas purports to show a staffer for the grassroots Obama effort Organizing for America helping facilitate voter fraud.

In the video, an O’Keefe operative tells a woman identified as Stephanie Caballero, regional field director at OFA Houston, that she has a Florida voter registration card and intends to vote both there and in Texas. While Caballero doesn’t explicitly encourage her to vote twice, she doesn’t discourage her from doing so during their laughter-filled conversations.

“[It] really concerns me that if we don‘t do everything we can we’re not going to win this election,” the videographer tells Caballero after a cut in the video, who according to Project Veritas is a “salaried employee” of the Democratic National Committee.

“So you mean that — OK, so you have to make sure because after 60 days you can send in your application to vote by mail ballot,” Caballero says.“So I can print that out for you. On Wednesday I’ll print it out and you just have to mail it back in or fax.”

“Or fax it back in so that I can do —” the videographer says.

“So they’ll send you a mail ballot,” Caballero replies.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#40178 Oct 10, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Or maybe we should get out of the war and save 100% of our spending on it.
That Would Be Nice....Then We Could Prepare For The One Coming To Our Shores.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#40179 Oct 10, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
We already have one.
Skeptic

Newtownards, UK

#40180 Oct 11, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
This is reality folks:

http://i.imgur.com/0g4oN.jpg

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#40181 Oct 11, 2012
Awesome! Thanks man!
Skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
This is reality folks:
http://i.imgur.com/0g4oN.jpg

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#40182 Oct 11, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
US bankers?
You skanque: I guess you are thinking we over here in the US haven't heard about BARCLAYS screwing over banks in the US & Europe and their fine (£290m, about a half billion dollars)- fixing inflated interest rates and such.
Putting aside that England banking system and most of their commerce was built on slave trade... historically speaking...
Yup, documented fact so you can huff and puff all you want, it will make no difference to the facts.

The libor scandal happened as a direct result of the depressed world economy, which was of course caused by the greed of US banking as outlined in my post on the subject.

The fine is not the money made but represents a bloody big slap on the hand. The actual money Barclays made from the scam is estimated at around $500k a week for the duration of the scam. That was small fry compared to the “trillions” of dollar holes caused by the subprime mortgage scandal that helped to plunge the “world” into recession and toppled major banking institutions and multinational companies.

I believe you are fond of the saying apples with apples. Honey why do you try to compare apples with planets?

Bob Diamond has (eventually) accepted responsibility and resigned, unlike the US bankers who got a government bonus – TWICE. Funnily enough Bob Diamond is American., do you think this had any baring on his actions?

In the UK it was goldsmiths looking for alternatives when Charles 1 seized their gold and so offered banking services to aristocracy for payment. Their profits allowed investments in overseas trade and then the textile industry provided copious amounts of cash that was used profitably to aid the slave trade. So historically speaking, not quite.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#40183 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
It does. No so the novel "Carrion Comfort" from Dan Simmons. An easy 900 page, page turner.
I've not read that. I will look.

Location hidden

#40184 Oct 11, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you failed to source or link your data ...
I cannot hope to fix stupid.

Especially with your attention span.

Do Americans in combat zones pay income taxes?

I know: you weren't in a combat zone but you can look it up.

Location hidden

#40185 Oct 11, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, documented fact
B A R C L A Y 's.

Ring a bell?

Location hidden

#40186 Oct 11, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
The libor scandal happened as a direct result of the depressed world economy, which was of course caused by the greed of US banking as outlined in my post on the subject.
YOU LYING SCANQUE!

B A R C L A Y 's.

Ring a bell?

Had NOTHING to do with sub prime: ZERO.

TELL ME: SINCE WHEN IS 500 BILLION "SMALL CHANGE:?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cuba releases American Alan Gross in swap 2 min Doc Caliban 13
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 min Vinci de Visitor 293,261
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Subduction Zone 132,039
Obama's plan: 'Deport felons, not families' 4 min WeTheSheeple 583
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift 4 min Doc Caliban 5
Tea Partiers Are Right: Jeb Is a RINO 6 min sandy1 2
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min republiCONS 165,256
Cheney again defends interrogation techniques 7 min Foster 297
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Yeah 1,153,451
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 37 min Eagle 12 2,275
US and Cuba move to normalize ties, open embassy 40 min Doc Proper 73
More from around the web