In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51414 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#34659 Aug 8, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
...continued...Bwhaahahahahaha hah...
The old OCTOBER SURPRISE! This is precious!
You missed out on something, Bareface. That it is proven a total fabrication!
Lacking proof doesn't prove fabrication, Scrote. Fact (proved fact) is:REAGAN is on record as saying he "tried some things the other way" while a *candidate*- which, in English, means he had contact with the Iranian delegation before being elected.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#34660 Aug 8, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
It is not a new gene
It is a new gene. It codes for a new enzyme for a new polymer.
Buck Crick wrote:
their is no increase in CSI.
And there is no increase in ether or phlogiston, either.
Buck Crick wrote:
It likely occurred by a non-Darwinian mechanism. That is not what "evolution" is claimed to be.
It is evolution. And I am aware of no such category as a non-Darwinian mechanism. It looks like another ID meme.
Buck Crick wrote:
Dembski is the best living expert on quantifying genetic information.
He is not a reliable authority for me. He is looking for his god in the numbers.

Fennario

#34661 Aug 8, 2012
HTS wrote:
You never logically rebutted the argument. You declared it was invalid.
Which argument?

That we didn't descend from microorganisms?

That microevolutionary changed can amount to macroevolutionary changes?

Maybe you meant that information content of the genome cannot increase?

I think I answered them all.

And I wouldn't call any of those arguments - just claims.
HTS wrote:
Now the entire foundation of your arguments rests on the assumption that of bacteria can mutate to produce nylonase, that they can evolve into a man.
No, it is also determined by rest of the evidence for evolution. Maybe you remember this:

"The appearance of a new enzyme or a new species is not offered as compelling evidence of common descent. The mountain of fossil evidence (archaeopteryx, Tiktaalik, Australopithecus), genetic evidence (ERVs and human chromosome 2), molecular evidence (ATP. Universal genetic code, nesting hierarchies in proteins), comparative anatomical evidence (homologies, cladistics), embryological evidence (gill pouches in human embryos). and biogeographical evidence (ring species, Madagascar and Australian biota)."
HTS wrote:
That is a self evident fallacy, just as the icicle example.
I don't recall you ever addressing the argument.

I'm really pretty tired of you ignoring my arguments and then telling me I'm ignoring yours. Why don't we just call it a difference of opinion. You don't accept evolutionary science. I do. That's as far as this will ever go.
HTS wrote:
Everyone sees it except those blinded by the religion of atheism.
And I see that we've made zero progress in this department as well.
HTS wrote:
You are not interested in science. You want to pretend that it validates your religion.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Fennario

#34662 Aug 8, 2012
HTS wrote:
Evolutionists think that they can cherry pick ways of falsifying evolution by looking at nature and them imagining possibilities. For example, Haldane's famous Cambrian rabbit proposal.... completely ignoring the fact that the Cambrian fossils are entirely marine... as if a mammal would be found amongst marine creatures...
It looks as if you, like Buck, also consider this an absurd example of possible evolutionary theory falsification. I have no idea why. We're saying that there were no rabbits - no terrestrial life at all, actually - alive in the Cambrian. Now you want to say that we are, "completely ignoring the fact that the Cambrian fossils are entirely marine... as if a mammal would be found amongst marine creatures." That's the argument.

Creationists believe that rabbits existed the first week of creation. Creationists should be predicting that Cambrian rabbits were as commonplace when those marine fossils were laid as any other animal. Adam and Eve could also turn up in the Cambrian strata according to the creationist hypothesis.

The way we discern between them is to look at where there predictions vary, and check. Evolutionary theory, you and Buck all say that a Cambrian rabbit is impossible or absurd. Creationism requires that all of the animals have been there even in the Cambrian.

Fennario

#34663 Aug 8, 2012
HTS wrote:
In essence, they're saying that the observation that bats don't have feathers should be taken as evidence for evolution.
I don't see how a feathered bat would falsify evolution.
HTS wrote:
The genetic code has falsified evolution.
Not to me. And more importantly, not to the NAS.
HTS wrote:
the fact that thousands of biologists continue to hold on to archaic myths doesn't change fact.
Your "facts" are not the scientific community's facts. They contradict one another. I take my scientific opinions from the scientific community, not the religious. There is nothing known only by Christians. Nothing at all.

Location hidden

#34664 Aug 8, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's no argument at all, you idiot.
You rolling around on the floor kicking your fat lying feet don't get you any points, Scrotum, pointing to Romney and proving that he lied yet again is more evidence that Romney- and this is the tricky part you don't understand- is indeed a liar.

Though you should understand as no one here believes anything that you say.

Three out of four Pinocchios means he took a tiny piece of a truth and wrapped a big fat lie around it.

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#34665 Aug 8, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a new gene. It codes for a new enzyme for a new polymer.
<quoted text>
And there is no increase in ether or phlogiston, either.
<quoted text>
It is evolution. And I am aware of no such category as a non-Darwinian mechanism. It looks like another ID meme.
<quoted text>
He is not a reliable authority for me. He is looking for his god in the numbers.
You are quite correct.

William Dembski, of ID fame, had this to say:

"I think at a fundamental level, in terms of what drives me in this is that I think God's glory is being robbed by these naturalistic approaches to biological evolution, creation, the origin of the world, the origin of biological complexity and diversity. When you are attributing the wonders of nature to these mindless material mechanisms, God's glory is getting robbed." He continued, "And so there is a cultural war here. Ultimately I want to see God get the credit for what he's done -- and he's not getting it."

At the Fellowship Baptist Church (in Waco, TX) Sunday, March 7, 2004. Dembski answering a question about his motivations.
http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2004/04/d...

There was an .mp3 of "Billy D." saying it, in his words, however, the file isn't hosted there any longer.

“The ancestor of every action ”

Since: Aug 12

is a thought.

#34666 Aug 8, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know whether he fulfilled all of the OT prophecies or not, but he did start his own sect branching off from Judaism. He was obviously quite charming to seduce so many people away from orthodox Judaism. He said that his message of, "Love your neighbor as yourself.", would divide families and that is still true today. Strange how words promoting love could provoke so much hate, isn't it?
How much of the world population did he influence during his lifetime of being "charming"? I am not at all impressed with Christians who make such claims. I would rather stick to the known facts.

Jesus did not "seduce" any Jews away from the Jewish religion during his time on earth. He preached the Torah. The Torah is the Jewish scriptures. As Christians, we can either be intelligent enough to know that and not argue with those who are not Christian, or we can be fools.

I choose intelligence and honesty.

is a thought.

#34667 Aug 8, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Gee, talk about overcompensation for a teeney weeney.
May I ask you a question, please? Are you a Christian?
HTS

Mandan, ND

#34668 Aug 8, 2012
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No, it is also determined by rest of the evidence for evolution. Maybe you remember this:
"The appearance of a new enzyme or a new species is not offered as compelling evidence of common descent. The mountain of fossil evidence (archaeopteryx, Tiktaalik, Australopithecus), genetic evidence (ERVs and human chromosome 2), molecular evidence (ATP. Universal genetic code, nesting hierarchies in proteins), comparative anatomical evidence (homologies, cladistics), embryological evidence (gill pouches in human embryos). and biogeographical evidence (ring species, Madagascar and Australian biota)."
<quoted text>
The mountains of fossil evidence is against evolution. Australopithecus was an ape...nothing more.
The evidence from embryology genetic code, nested hierarchies, phenotypic and molecular homology are all perfectly consistent with ID. Biogeography only indicates microevolution, which is a non argument.
All you have is philosophical evidence. You have a hypothesis. Now if you want to engage in science, you can start testing that hypothesis. You can begin by showing that proposed mechanisms of transmutation are possible. No one can ever demonstrate this.... Let's take the eye for example... No one can demonstrate how a single step in eye evolution could actually occur through mutations and natural selectin. Stories can be told which gloss over all obstacles... That is not science... It is scientific fraud.. No one has observed a single step. All you have are bedtime stories to prop up your religious beliefs. Every conclusion is by inference, ultimately founded on a worldview of atheism.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#34669 Aug 8, 2012
<quoted text>
I don't see how a feathered bat would falsify evolution.
<quoted text>
Not to me. And more importantly, not to the NAS.
<quoted text>
Your "facts" are not the scientific community's facts. They contradict one another. I take my scientific opinions from the scientific community, not the religious. There is nothing known only by Christians. Nothing at all.
Douglas Thoebald, PhD on talk origins said that a feathered bat or a lactating bird would falsify evolution.

Now you're attempting to appeal to authority. That means you've run out of arguments. I suppose a lot of dogmatic astronomers did the same thing in Copernacus's day.

Location hidden

#34670 Aug 8, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
Are you aware that a good percentage of military personnel are African American?
I don't care and neither does Obama.

Where I come from, everyone (all voters) are considered equal. NO one gets special privileges to vote early.

If you served in the armed forces, you would know that they out of of their way to allow you to vote, even assign officers to remind you that you should vote (up to the point of saying that one is "obligated" as a citizen to participate).

But one who serves in the military doesn't get MORE rights.

Location hidden

#34671 Aug 8, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhuh.
Would like to see you go face up a 150km/h (or thereabouts) delivery.
Baseball = 165 km/h.

Cricket still gay.

Nice sweaters, though.

Location hidden

#34672 Aug 8, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
You realise how many people in the world drink tea?
100 percent of the homosexual population plus most of the Chinese who have never tasted coffee.

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#34673 Aug 8, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Douglas Thoebald, PhD on talk origins said that a feathered bat or a lactating bird would falsify evolution.
Now you're attempting to appeal to authority. That means you've run out of arguments. I suppose a lot of dogmatic astronomers did the same thing in Copernacus's day.
LULZ...

I can't be the only one to notice this.

Location hidden

#34674 Aug 8, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<You also realise that spices and tea has had a huge influence in the creation of the civilised world?
An argument could be made for almost everything under the sun having an influence of the "creation" of the civilized world.

is a thought.

#34675 Aug 8, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
100 percent of the homosexual population plus most of the Chinese who have never tasted coffee.
Where did you find your statistics on 100% of homosexual people drinking tea? I truly would like to see those statistics, as I never knew every single gay person in the world had been surveyed to determine if they drink tea.

Location hidden

#34676 Aug 8, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should I spend one cent on your health care?
You don't. Not one.

Save up your pennies and buy some mouthwash, Scrote. I understand you can't buy it with your food stamps, take back your empties.

Location hidden

#34677 Aug 8, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama's classmate from Columbia
Holy smoke! Someone who attended Columbia at the same time... a "classmate" of 700 or so... makes him an expert! And we know your hero Hannity is always in the pursuit of the truth!

I wonder why Hannity hasn't asked Romney where his tax returns are?

Location hidden

#34678 Aug 8, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Emancipation Proclamation:..
Did not free slaves throughout the USA, you stupid knob swallower.

No matter how hard you stomp your fat lying and ignorant feet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 min Freedomofexpression 13,011
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Pond Skimmer 1,620,075
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min dimwitbuster 37,023
News Trump again blasts NFL over players kneeling du... 14 min Retribution 80
News Trump to halt subsidies to health insurers 25 min Retribution 331
News Barack Obama 34 min Hush Fat Boy 49
News At Mississippi school: Goodbye, Confederacy. He... 39 min KIR SUCKA 24
More from around the web