Would an assault weapons ban work?

Would an assault weapons ban work?

There are 3769 comments on the The Washington Post story from Dec 17, 2012, titled Would an assault weapons ban work?. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

When Adam Lanza shot 26 people in Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday, he used a Bushmaster AR-15 , a popular style of semiautomatic rifle that can rapidly fire multiple high-velocity rounds, according to law enforcement officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

McGruff

Campbellsville, KY

#1319 Dec 31, 2012
Jack Welch wrote:
<quoted text>what do you need an assault weapon for?
what do I need it for? First I don't know what an assault weapon is. Are you speaking of a rugger 10-22, a Remington semi auto hunting rifle, or a browning semi auto hunting rifle. You see they shoot 100% the exact same way that the AR-15, and the Bushmaster do. Exactly the same.

Also you do understand that the Clinton assault rifle ban actually didn't ban a single gun don't you? All the so called assault rifles have always been for sale and they weren't off the market for even one single day.

Now I may need the AR-15 for varmit hunting. They are great for coyotes, and groundhogs. I may want it for self defence. It is very popular today for that reason. I may also want it because it is fun to shoot. Very fun. I may want it because it scares pansy liberals. I may want it simply because it is my right and I won't be bullied by pc police. You see it don't really why I want it. It is my right. Now explain why you want all that free speech, and why liberals support ripping a baby into to keep it from being born.
McGruff

Campbellsville, KY

#1320 Dec 31, 2012
Jack Welch wrote:
<quoted text>are you going to fight the police then?
yes. It is getting close to that now. Come to take our guns and then you will see
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#1321 Dec 31, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
If weapons were banned, how would Zimmerman been able to defend himself from that thug, Travon?
Without a gun Zimmerman would not have been there, this is according to his own statements!
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#1322 Dec 31, 2012
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
what do I need it for? First I don't know what an assault weapon is. Are you speaking of a rugger 10-22, a Remington semi auto hunting rifle, or a browning semi auto hunting rifle. You see they shoot 100% the exact same way that the AR-15, and the Bushmaster do. Exactly the same.
Also you do understand that the Clinton assault rifle ban actually didn't ban a single gun don't you? All the so called assault rifles have always been for sale and they weren't off the market for even one single day.
Now I may need the AR-15 for varmit hunting. They are great for coyotes, and groundhogs. I may want it for self defence. It is very popular today for that reason. I may also want it because it is fun to shoot. Very fun. I may want it because it scares pansy liberals. I may want it simply because it is my right and I won't be bullied by pc police. You see it don't really why I want it. It is my right. Now explain why you want all that free speech, and why liberals support ripping a baby into to keep it from being born.
Problem is, you are obviously mentally unstable and exceptionally pone to violent behavior -- you do not qualify to have fire arms -- period!
Derp

United States

#1323 Dec 31, 2012
The last assault weapons ban didn't stop mass shootings at all.

People that believe it will now are naive.
Derp

United States

#1324 Dec 31, 2012
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Without a gun Zimmerman would not have been there, this is according to his own statements!
So now its all guns and not just assault weapons.
I'll tell you what, when the Secret Service, FBI, CIA, Police, Homeland security ,National Guard ,Petty criminals and Organised crime all hand in theirs ,then they can have mine.
1 post removed

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#1326 Dec 31, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fewer assault weapons = fewer deaths.
I know, you find math very confusing.
It is NOT math that is YOUR stumbling block. It is a simple matter of your grey matter being uh, too simple and not evolved and complex enough to grasp simple concepts of reality.
Concepts of reality like;

Fewer misfits pulling the triggers on "assault weapons" = fewer deaths.
McGruff

Campbellsville, KY

#1327 Dec 31, 2012
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>Problem is, you are obviously mentally unstable and exceptionally pone to violent behavior -- you do not qualify to have fire arms -- period!
on what basis do you make such a stupid assumption?

Location hidden

#1328 Dec 31, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how the rest of the country thinks it's assault weapons.
How many thousands of links do you need?
Do you want to pay, say...$5 each?
Links to what?

It is the rights supporters who have the thousands of links lady.

YOU have ONLY theory.
Your theory states that people who do not respect laws will respect them if you write another law.
McGruff

Campbellsville, KY

#1329 Dec 31, 2012
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>Without a gun Zimmerman would not have been there, this is according to his own statements!
probe he said that. And shouldn't he have been there?

Location hidden

#1330 Dec 31, 2012
Jack Welch wrote:
<quoted text>
what do you need an assault weapon for?
baseball bat
knife
rock
stick
fire poker
rope
dinner plate
ash tray
chair
garden rake
shovel
hoe
dandelion kewer
ice pick
sharpened toothbrush handle
firearm
poision - various
plastic bag
automobile
lamp
chain
frying pan
axe
adz
hammer
cresent wrench
end wrench
trained canine
bottle
broken bottle
fence post
ice chunk
feet
hands
head
teeth
knee
elbow

WHICH "assault weapon" sir?

Location hidden

#1331 Dec 31, 2012
Vance1 wrote:
<quoted text>
what do the police need them for?
Jack Welch?

Location hidden

#1332 Dec 31, 2012
Vance1 wrote:
<quoted text>what do the police need them for?
Jack Welch wrote:
<quoted text>
are you going to fight the police then?
Uh Jack?
Have you ever sought employment as an ice hockey goalie?
You should sir, you have much experience at deflecting.

You just proved it again.

Location hidden

#1333 Dec 31, 2012
Jack Welch wrote:
<quoted text>
guns don't die children do!
Yes, and guns do NOT kill them either sir. PEOPLE do that sir. PEOPLE do that by MISUSUNG guns and BREAKING ALREADY WRITTEN LAWS sir.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#1334 Dec 31, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who won the election again?
WAHHHHHHHH!
tea bagger want a hankie?
Obummer won just ONE office..... The house has 435 of which the GOP won ANOTHER majority.... The PEOPLES' house. Looks like your picanniny is playing second fiddle to the TRUE Representatives of the voters. Sorry this doesn't jive with your ideal of REPRESENTATIVE Governance. The "MANDATE" you imagined was way overinflated..... 52% isn't a "MANDATE" by any stretch. I could win 52% if I promised free crap to the displaced,hopeless and downright worthless. No hard task here. Give folks free stuff and they'd vote for any coqsuker coming down the pike,even YOU would. Probably did.

Location hidden

#1335 Dec 31, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Newtown is an example of how the NRA insisted you tiny-dicked little boys stomping your feet wanting special rights for your tiny-dicked toys would cost American lives.
Looking to the ban on assault weapons (federal) and closing the loopholes on background checks.
"tiny-dicked toys"?
If they truly are these "tiny-dicked toys", one is left to wonder what scares you so bad about having them in the hands of law respecting people.

What are YOU so damn afraid of?

Yes, it is a "SPECIAL" right.
It is an inalienable right - THAT'S special maam.
It means you have NO authority to dick with it maam, and neither does your government. THAT'S what the second amendment says.
It says simply this;
You, and your government, can NOT dick with the right of the individual, that exists in that individual from the moment of our conception maam.
1 post removed

Location hidden

#1337 Dec 31, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Suck it up and admit the only reason you find a need for these assault weapons is you have tiny-weenie-dickipoos and there is no legitimate reason to have them.
I agree.
There is no legitimate reason to have a tiny-weenie-dickiepoo.
A poor feller that is thusly, uh, endowed by his Creator, would certainly be unable to fill and satisfy >your< gap, nor your yap.
<smile>

Location hidden

#1338 Dec 31, 2012
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
So much for a shot across Jack's bow.
That was a direct hit. A center mass shot, right in the boiler.
Excellent marksmanship sir.
Patriot

Longmont, CO

#1339 Dec 31, 2012
Every person seeking to diminish Our Constitutional Rights, either does not understand the purpose of the Second Amendment or refuses to address it stating:“Gun advocates will be hard-pressed to explain why the average American citizen needs an assault weapon with a high-capacity magazine other than for recreational purposes.” The answer to this question is straightforward: The purpose of having citizens armed with paramilitary weapons is to allow them to engage in paramilitary actions. The Second Amendment is not about Bambi and burglars --

There is no legitimate exception to the Second Amendment for military-style weapons, because military-style weapons are precisely what the Second Amendment guarantees Our Right to keep and bear. The purpose of the Second Amendment is to secure Our ability to oppose enemies foreign and domestic, a guarantee against disorder and tyranny. Consider the words of Supreme Court justice Joseph Story — who was, it bears noting, appointed to the Court by the guy who wrote the Constitution:

"The importance of this article will scarcely be doubted by any persons, who have duly reflected upon the subject. The militia is the natural defence of a free country against sudden foreign invasions, domestic insurrections, and domestic usurpations of power by rulers. It is against sound policy for a free people to keep up large military establishments and standing armies in time of peace, both from the enormous expenses, with which they are attended, and the facile means, which they afford to ambitious and unprincipled rulers, to subvert the government, or trample upon the rights of the people. The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them."

“Usurpation and arbitrary power of the rulers”— not Bambi, not burglars.

Liberals are forever asking:“Why would anybody need a gun like that?” And the answer is: because we are not serfs. We are a free people living under a republic of our own construction. We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/336529... #

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#1340 Dec 31, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
There is no legitimate reason to have a tiny-weenie-dickiepoo.
A poor feller that is thusly, uh, endowed by his Creator, would certainly be unable to fill and satisfy >your< gap, nor your yap.
<smile>
We're on the same side here. Don't satiate the troll's satisfaction with abusive language to justify it's factless position. Tell it it is wrong,present facts and disregard it. Job done. Libs have a hard time proving their point. Thats why they resort to name calling. It part of the Alinsky game. The 3"D"s,DERIDE/DEFLECT /DISREGARD. Of late it only works on those not informed of those strategies. But more ARE catching on... The lib's plan isn't working any more. Stay focused,press them. DEMAND answers. They usually can't. Not surprising.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 11 min Chimney1 216,776
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... (May '16) 28 min Brian_G 14,773
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 35 min Dr Guru 231,096
News Trump soaks up the adulation, brags about victory 58 min DR X 206
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 59 min Susanm 312,738
News The 'Fake News' Con: A Case Study 1 hr TRUMP WINNERS 8
News Inauguration to draw those ready to celebrate, ... 1 hr TRUMP WINNERS 24
News Trump meets former Vice President Gore in New Y... 1 hr TRUMP WINNERS 62
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Quirky 404,050
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr TRUMP WINNERS 253,360
Donald J Trump, our next president (Mar '16) 4 hr Cheech the Conser... 1,092
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 hr Dudley 1,459,051
More from around the web