Would an assault weapons ban work?

Dec 17, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Washington Post

When Adam Lanza shot 26 people in Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday, he used a Bushmaster AR-15 , a popular style of semiautomatic rifle that can rapidly fire multiple high-velocity rounds, according to law enforcement officials.

Comments (Page 46)

Showing posts 901 - 920 of3,800
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

californio wrote:
<quoted text>I agree Bush was bad. problem is Obama is worse. Time Obama done the US is going to be a large version of Greece.
Obama has tried to do plenty for the US. The problem is that the republicans keep blocking him all the time

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Tasmaniac wrote:
<quoted text>
A slight over reaction don't you think?
Especially the 'signed with honor' part. No honor there that I'm aware of.
Mid Term 2014

Canton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

The petition is near 75,000 at this time.

Sign the petition to deport cnn's Peirs Morgan for attacking the 2nd Amendment.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/dep...

You have to login to sign this petition, and of course whoever does will be on the list, but we must speak up.

CNN's Peirs Morgan was way out of line with his rant
yup

Oxford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

a big one wrote:
wow is right 'yup'. Adam Lanza, the Connecticut shooter, is reported by multiple sources to have been suffering from Asperger’s syndrome, a form of autism, as well as other personality disorders and a rare condition in which he was unable to feel physical pain. He was taking medications early as age 10, according to his former babysitter, Ryan Kraft.
A friend of his mother told the New York Daily News that she said he was prone to hurting himself, including burning himself with a lighter.“I asked her if she was getting him help, and she said she was,” the friend recalled.
Joshua Flashman, a 25-year-old Marine who grew up near the Lanza’s home, told FoxNews.com that Lanza’s mother, Nancy, had been petitioning the courts to gain conservatorship over Adam in order to have him committed to a psychiatric ward and that Adam was “really, really angry about this.” Flashman also said that Nancy had volunteered to work with kindergartners at Sandy Hook, who would be first-graders now, and that Adam believed “she cared more for the children than she did for him.”
one thing is clear. If Adam Lanza was being treated by a psychiatrist for Asperger’s syndrome and other personality disorders, part of that treatment usually includes psychotropic medications, in particular, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
sure brings those shootem=up video games to life doesn't it 'yup'?
You're lying again loser – and posting all hearsay – at best. Even if he was taking any SSRI’s - which has NOT been confirmed by any credible sources - it would be more likely that stopping such meds - without being directed to stop by his doctors –*could* be a trigger for violent behavior **IF** the person suffered from a fairly rare set of disorders - which has also NOT even been reported - much less confirmed in this case.

So once you've proven that he was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic or the like - and was on such meds – and stopped the meds without the doctor’s orders – then we’ll talk. But you can’t – so just STFU.

Go learn a bit about psychology and psychiatry as you are most certainly clueless. The vast majority of people with various kinds of mental illnesses never display any violent behavior – whether they are taking prescribed meds or not. Just as the vast majority of people who play violent video games also never get violent. Ignorant right wing losers who own more guns than common sense – now that’s another matter entirely.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Mid Term 2014 wrote:
The petition is near 75,000 at this time.
Sign the petition to deport cnn's Peirs Morgan for attacking the 2nd Amendment.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/dep...
You have to login to sign this petition, and of course whoever does will be on the list, but we must speak up.
CNN's Peirs Morgan was way out of line with his rant
Evidently you're one of those gunners who supports the SECOND amendment, but not the FIRST.

Otherwise, you wouldn't be trying to suppress Morgan's free speech rights, as well as his legal right to be in the U.S.

What sort of example do you think you're setting to the British, for example? I'll bet they're laughing at you if they're reading your own hilariously outraged rants.

Please, stop embarrassing America.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>We also hand BACK huge amounts of tax REFUNDS to big corporations:

http://www.occasionalplanet.org/2011/03/30/th...

1. Exxon Mobil made $19 billion in profits in 2009. Exxon not only paid no federal income taxes, it actually received a $156 million rebate from the IRS, according to its SEC filings.

2. Bank of America received a $1.9 billion tax refund from the IRS last year, although it made $4.4 billion in profits and received a bailout from the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department of nearly $1 trillion.

3. Over the past five years, while General Electric made $26 billion in profits in the United States, it received a $4.1 billion refund from the IRS.

4. Chevron received a $19 million refund from the IRS last year after it made $10 billion in profits in 2009.

5. Boeing, which received a $30 billion contract from the Pentagon to build 179 airborne tankers, got a $124 million refund from the IRS last year.

Hell, I'd be HAPPY to LOWER their tax rates, if they'd just pay the damn taxes! Lower the corporate rate to 15-20% for all I care, just collect EVERY DIME OWED.

Is that OK with you?
that's because of expenses carried forward nitwit
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>Evidently you're one of those gunners who supports the SECOND amendment, but not the FIRST.

Otherwise, you wouldn't be trying to suppress Morgan's free speech rights, as well as his legal right to be in the U.S.

What sort of example do you think you're setting to the British, for example? I'll bet they're laughing at you if they're reading your own hilariously outraged rants.

Please, stop embarrassing America.
a foreign resident doesn't have any rights to try to take away rights of the citizens of this country.
a big one

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem arose when a mentally unstable person acquired access to powerful weapons stockpiled by his mother, apparently a 'Prepper' who believed the U.s. might suddenly collapse in anarchy.
Instead, it was her own world which collapsed...and her life with it.
Mentall illness + guns = disaster
yes 'professer', mental illness is being made worse by a billion dollar industry. profits trump common sense.
Fact: Despite 22 international drug regulatory warnings on psychiatric drugs citing effects of mania, hostility, violence and even homicidal ideation, and dozens of high profile shootings/killings tied to psychiatric drug use, there has yet to be a federal investigation on the link between psychiatric drugs and acts of senseless violence.
Fact: At least fourteen recent school shootings were committed by those taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs resulting in 109 wounded and 58 killed (in other school shootings, information about their drug use was never made public—neither confirming or refuting if they were under the influence of prescribed drugs.)
Fact: Between 2004 and 2011, there have been over 11,000 reports to the U.S. FDA’s MedWatch system of psychiatric drug side effects related to violence. These include 300 cases of homicide, nearly 3,000 cases of mania and over 7,000 cases of aggression. Note: By the FDA’s own admission, only 1-10% of side effects are ever reported to the FDA, so the actual number of side effects occurring are most certainly higher.
School shooters aren’t the only cases commonly found to be under the influence of psychiatric drugs, murders and murder-suicides, committed by individuals taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs resulting in an additional 44 dead and 22 wounded.
A bill introduced in New York in 2000 proposed police investigate psychiatric drug in all cases of violent crimes and suicides. This is a bill that must be reintroduced and passed on state and federal levels.
Despite 22 international drug regulatory warnings on psychiatric drugs citing effects of mania, hostility, violence and even homicidal ideation, and dozens of high profile shootings/killings tied to psychiatric drug use, there has yet to be a federal investigation on the link between psychiatric drugs and acts of senseless violence.
The correlation between psychiatric drugs and acts of violence and homicide is well documented – both by international drug regulatory warnings and studies, as well as by hundreds of cases where high profile acts of violence/mass murder were committed by individuals under the influence of psychiatric drugs.
As far back as 1991, CCHR, along with numerous experts brought evidence before the US FDA that antidepressants were causing suicide and violence. The heavily Pharma-funded FDA panel ignored the evidence provided, and it would take 14 years, and a great deal of public pressure, for the FDA to finally issue it’s strongest warning, the black box, on antidepressants inducing suicidal ideation. 21 years later, the FDA has yet to issue a black box warning on antidepressants and other classes of psychiatric drugs documented by international regulatory agencies and studies to cause violence. This is not in the public’s interest, who deserve to be warned, it’s in Big Phama’s interest, upon whose funding the FDA heavily relies on.
yes 'professer' the problem arose and is being ignored. you can go back to playing your new shoot-em up video game now. the neighborhood watchlist can wait until it's really needed.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
that's because of expenses carried forward nitwit
Do go on, give us the benefit of your brilliant tax knowledge and how 'expenses carried on' somehow justifies refunds of millions or billions for PROFITABLE CORPORATE ENTITIES.

I can't wait to hear your version.:)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

a big one wrote:
<quoted text>yes 'professer', mental illness is being made worse by a billion dollar industry. profits trump common sense.
Fact: Despite 22 international drug ...EDIT..... arose and is being ignored. you can go back to playing your new shoot-em up video game now. the neighborhood watchlist can wait until it's really needed.
I wasn't disagreeing with your description of our problems with mental illness, fool. I said only that when you put mental illness together with guns, you get what we got in Connecticut.

Try reading a little better next time, OK? I don't play video games, BTW.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
a foreign resident doesn't have any rights to try to take away rights of the citizens of this country.
He isn't, and no one said he was. Try reading the post and addressing that, right winger.

Do you believe he has free speech rights, or not? Start with that.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Do go on, give us the benefit of your brilliant tax knowledge and how 'expenses carried on' somehow justifies refunds of millions or billions for PROFITABLE CORPORATE ENTITIES.
this is the libs favorite anti capitalism rant, corporations and taxes....well, here's a little hint, they file their taxes legally, the big corps have entire fully staffed 'tax depts' and they follow the letter of the law. What do you want them to do, pay money they dont legally owe?
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>Do go on, give us the benefit of your brilliant tax knowledge and how 'expenses carried on' somehow justifies refunds of millions or billions for PROFITABLE CORPORATE ENTITIES.

I don't have vast tax knowledge and neither do you. But I do know that losses can be carried forward and losses reduce the tax burden. In other words these companies overpaid taxes in previous years. So when they carried the losses forward they got some of the money back they had paid.

Let's educate you a little here nitwit. Bank of America was forced to purchase country wide mortgage. BOA took billions in losses from this purchase. That is why they got money back nitwit. Companies don't pay taxes on gross revenue and neither do individuals. It's after expenses.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>He isn't, and no one said he was. Try reading the post and addressing that, right winger.

Do you believe he has free speech rights, or not? Start with that.
he is nitwit. He is advocating changing our laws. So no he don't have that right and yes he can be deported for that. Nitwit
yup

Oxford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

inbred Genius wrote:
this is the libs favorite anti capitalism rant, corporations and taxes....well, here's a little hint, they file their taxes legally, the big corps have entire fully staffed 'tax depts' and they follow the letter of the law. What do you want them to do, pay money they dont legally owe?
You’re completely FOS. I've worked for several large corporations for many years. They employ armies of accountants and lawyers dedicated to avoiding paying taxes any way they possibly can – and not always by legal means. They have governments at every level bought and paid for. You right wing-nutters love to blame the government for fuk-all – when it’s the corporations where the real corruption resides.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

I whole heartedly support the 2nd amendment I just refuse to support the gun-a-holics fantasy version of it. I also know it was conceived at a time when the United States was an agrarian, subsistence nation where hunting was an auxiliary source of food for many settlers, and also a deterrence to animal predators as well as marauding outlaws. A connection between shooting skills and survival among rural American men was a traditional 'rite of passage' for those entering manhood.

“Gun Free Zones don’t work” is simply a self-serving argument and NRA talking point, used by people who have nothing constructive to contribute to the debate. Weapon-free zones are meant for students and are of highly symbolic value, the designation is just one of the many ways that our schools are helping to battle school violence, a very serious problem, and stop guns and other weapons from making their way into our schools. The idea for gun-free and weapon-free zones came about after the implementation of designated drug-free zones that proved effective. As extreme as it may seem to some, the use of zero tolerance policies have proven extremely effective in reducing the risk and incidents of crime and violence in the schools that implement them.
Brad

Manchester, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
On the bright side,we're gonna have another tax cheat as SOS.

Theres that.
yup

Oxford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Brad wrote:
On the bright side,we're gonna have another tax cheat as SOS.
Theres that.
No - Romney didn't get that job either.
1 post removed
a big one

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't disagreeing with your description of our problems with mental illness, fool. I said only that when you put mental illness together with guns, you get what we got in Connecticut.
Try reading a little better next time, OK? I don't play video games, BTW.
perhaps you do not think 'professor', that it is in the public’s interest, that deserve to be warned who the people are in our neighborhood that are just a pill away from becoming a maniac mass murderer, we could keep an eye on them and better protect ourselves by keeping them away from things that might be a danger to the public. neighborhood watchlists help keep an eye on sex offenders, why not a watchlist on who is taking the crazy pills that are proven to make the people taking them even crazier to the point of becoming a mass murderer. better still ban the crazy pills unless strict controls and care are enforced so that the crazy pill takers cannot harm society. a bottle of these pills are far to dangerous to public safety without proper warnings and guidelines. if someone thinks their kid is crazy enough to need these pills, everyone around them needs to be aware of the fact. why should we only find out when the little bugger is totally nuts and past the point of no return?

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

yup wrote:
<quoted text>
You’re completely FOS. I've worked for several large corporations for many years. They employ armies of accountants and lawyers dedicated to avoiding paying taxes any way they possibly can – and not always by legal means. They have governments at every level bought and paid for. You right wing-nutters love to blame the government for fuk-all – when it’s the corporations where the real corruption resides.
why didnt you turn them in for the reward?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 901 - 920 of3,800
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••