Would an assault weapons ban work?

Dec 17, 2012 Full story: The Washington Post 3,771

When Adam Lanza shot 26 people in Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday, he used a Bushmaster AR-15 , a popular style of semiautomatic rifle that can rapidly fire multiple high-velocity rounds, according to law enforcement officials.

Full Story
Larry Blew Barry

Saint Louis, MO

#3391 Jan 31, 2013
Yesterday it was David Koresh. Tomorrow it could be you !

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#3392 Jan 31, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Even a dumbass like you should know that gun laws in ISOLATION, for one area or town or city, don't work that well. Oh, the cops can seize guns and they can add charges to a crime if someone has a gun when they commit it, but that doesn't solve the problem of too many guns.
That's why we need NATIONAL legislation.
How's being dumb working for you, au Jimbo?:)
No gun law will ever stop crime or a killing. Only the method.
serfs up

Kissimmee, FL

#3393 Jan 31, 2013
Holy Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>Its simple math. 7,000 gun laws on the books, enforcement levels 5%. That translates into full prisons and wealthy bureaucrats. Ever watch the news when a mass shooting takes place. Before, no cops around, after shooting hundreds appear. What are they doing before the lead is flying? Go in there and kick ass and take names...take back our communities , our neighborhoods and our dignity! Change the laws regarding sentencing for non-violent drug offenders and make room for the mental cases..........problem solved.
M any times we vote for individuals and this does not happen. Most individuals need to be backed by a political machine as they move up the ladder. If you vote Repub for example, it seems an endless amount of them are not what we expect when elected. Let me say, that I have voted both parties and independent in my life and movement seem to have a life of their own. The House of Rep. which is in Republican hands owes its majority to the Tea Party. And for two yeas has not been very good at doing what they were elected for. I believe the Repub party in 2014 is going to suffer unless they start drawing a line in the sand. If they lose for being conservative and with honor, then so be it. Nothing to lose but individual power. And if that is more important then the nation, then their priorities like the progressives are warped and the downturn into an oblivion of totalitarian government will continue.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#3394 Jan 31, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you can control the guns out there, if you make an effort. Arrest people. Take away their guns and destroy them. Decrease the gun supply through regulations and new laws. Stop MAKING so damn many guns. The NRA is powerful and rich not because of allits members, but because it's the lobbying arm of the gun industry.
No nationwide gun bans are in place, unless it's restrictions against automatic weapons (not exactly a ban, but...) and you'll notice not that many folks have machine guns.
It's not that we "cannot control" guns, but that your side won't LET us control guns. That's changing now.
No one outside the military or police have machine guns ( automatic weapons). At least they are not supposed to. In the 90s we had the active nationwide ban on semi automatic weapons...no one was able to buy them, people that already owned them were ok. It was allowed to expire because the amt of gun related crime I'd not go down because of the ban...so right now this minute,it is legal to buy a semi automatic weapon,after a background check and a three day wait ( in florida)...I see where the wit should be longer...I see where the background check should be alot more intensive and should include a registry check for diagnosed insane people ( goverment really must register all people that are diagnosed as insanely dangerous)...and really no one needs a clip with 40 rounds in it....with all that implemented...at the end of the day...the criminals are not going to care and they are still going to have them, and some gangbanger is still Nona do drive bys with a Regular legal 22 hollow point ....you cannot close this pandora s box.

Location hidden

#3395 Jan 31, 2013
Some words are wrong cause I am on an iPad and it changes some words!!!!!

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#3396 Jan 31, 2013
Mi_nina wrote:
Some words are wrong cause I am on an iPad and it changes some words!!!!!
iPads happen....

Location hidden

#3397 Jan 31, 2013
All of these gun threads are trying to make it about guns, instead of the constitution, which is the jest of the argument.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#3398 Jan 31, 2013
the rest of us wrote:
More altering posts
Hard to take seriously someone who rotates his aliases every day

Location hidden

#3399 Jan 31, 2013
au contraire wrote:
All of these gun threads are trying to make it about guns
I guess it's all the dead people who keep turning up on the threads.

Of course, with thirty killed every day, it isn't hard to find.

DUMBO.

Location hidden

#3400 Jan 31, 2013
Mi_nina wrote:
<quoted text>
No one outside the military or police have machine guns
Some do.

There are restrictions.

It seems the restrictions on machine guns work well enough to put the same restrictions on assault weapons.
Abduction Zone

Kansas City, MO

#3401 Jan 31, 2013
Mi Nina wrote:
<quoted text>
No one outside the military or police have machine guns ( automatic weapons). At least they are not supposed to. In the 90s we had the active nationwide ban on semi automatic weapons...no one was able to buy them, people that already owned them were ok. It was allowed to expire because the amt of gun related crime I'd not go down because of the ban...so right now this minute,it is legal to buy a semi automatic weapon,after a background check and a three day wait ( in florida)...I see where the wit should be longer...I see where the background check should be a lot more intensive and should include a registry check for diagnosed insane people ( government really must register all people that are diagnosed as insanely dangerous)...and really no one needs a clip with 40 rounds in it....with all that implemented...at the end of the day...the criminals are not going to care and they are still going to have them, and some gangbanger is still Nona do drive bys with a Regular legal 22 hollow point ....you cannot close this pandora's box.
There are to many guns in circulation to stop the control or enforce of the gun laws. It has one factor that will cause all efforts to fail.......the HUMAN FACTOR! The wars and bloodshed around the world will stop when the primitive human animal is extinct. Ted K was right about technology.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Dump American Eagle

#3402 Jan 31, 2013
Abduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>There are to many guns in circulation to stop the control or enforce of the gun laws. It has one factor that will cause all efforts to fail.......the HUMAN FACTOR! The wars and bloodshed around the world will stop when the primitive human animal is extinct. Ted K was right about technology.
Please feel free to be the FIRST to remove yourself.... But of course You're a lib so I'll take that as the usual lib "do as I say not as I do" kinda thingy.... Funny how that shit works.... Small wonder abortion is soooo popular with you people.
Abduction Zone

Kansas City, MO

#3403 Jan 31, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Please feel free to be the FIRST to remove yourself.... But of course You're a lib so I'll take that as the usual lib "do as I say not as I do" kinda thingy.... Funny how that shit works.... Small wonder abortion is so popular with you people.
Comprehension not very strong big O? I don't follow any religion(cult), govt(demoncrazy), group, party or anything/anyone. My brain is equipped with a "BS" filter. I can think big O. Society is falling apart, its unraveling before your eyes. SH%$T is hitting the fan..........People who believe their vote counts are mindless followers. The parties dont agree on any issues for one reason..to make people feel they must and should vote...its a game. Add religion and politics and its pure evil.

Location hidden

#3404 Feb 1, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some do.
There are restrictions.
It seems the restrictions on machine guns work well enough to put the same restrictions on assault weapons.
It is illegal for civilians to own automatic weapons in every single state.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Dump American Eagle

#3405 Feb 1, 2013
Mi_nina wrote:
<quoted text>
True,in a sense. Private citizens CAN own fully automatic weapons AFTER a very involed and deep background check. After passing this check they must pay the mandatory tax of $200.00 fee PER weapon before purchase.

Location hidden

#3406 Feb 1, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hard to take seriously someone who rotates his aliases every day
Ah yes, the voice of experience.

Location hidden

#3407 Feb 1, 2013
Abduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>There are to many guns in circulation to stop the control or enforce of the gun laws. It has one factor that will cause all efforts to fail.......the HUMAN FACTOR! The wars and bloodshed around the world will stop when the primitive human animal is extinct. Ted K was right about technology.
Armed Guard Stops School Shooter Who Shot Classmates...

Location hidden

#3408 Feb 1, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it's all the dead people who keep turning up on the threads.
Of course, with thirty killed every day, it isn't hard to find.
DUMBO.
Pookie, I can explain things to even a simpleton like you, but I canít comprehend it for you. Suggest you take some smart pills or try remedial day care.
just another guy

Wheat Ridge, CO

#3409 Feb 1, 2013
Mi_nina wrote:
<quoted text>
You had better do some research. In many states, under the current version of "law", a person pays a $200 tax and undergoes a background check and then may purchase a fully automatic firearm.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Dump American Eagle

#3410 Feb 1, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>Pookie, I can explain things to even a simpleton like you, but I canít comprehend it for you. Suggest you take some smart pills or try remedial day care.
Smart pills are a fallacy.... Sometimes you just can't help stoopid....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 min woodtick57 293,528
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 2 min obummer drone 12,116
Body cameras for cops could be the biggest chan... 3 min Police Crimes 1,531
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min No Surprize 1,154,443
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Edmond Pulpo 181,897
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Abe 165,602
Cheney again defends interrogation techniques 4 min woodtick57 326
Ben Carson: Race Relations Have 'Gotten Worse' ... 6 min Police Crimes 806
More from around the web