Largest US Protestant churches on gay...

Largest US Protestant churches on gay clergy

There are 311 comments on the The Oregonian story from Feb 28, 2010, titled Largest US Protestant churches on gay clergy. In it, The Oregonian reports that:

A look at where the largest Protestant churches in the United States stand on gay clergy: ?UNITED METHODIST CHURCH: 7.9 million U.S. members.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Oregonian.

cunune

Masontown, PA

#253 Dec 14, 2012
youtube.com/watch... ……Getting lucky is what its all about?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#254 Dec 14, 2012
1 post removed

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#256 Dec 16, 2012
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...you assume to much to soon with out asking questions for information :)
I don't believe God has a personality disorder where he thinks and teaches as a single being, there are also two more of himself you get to meet from time to time. I was basing an earlier answer to someone else's belief in the trinity to show their own contradictions.
Two generations? You better redo your mathematics. If Paul came on the scene two generations after Jesus's death (about Ad 30), that would mean if Paul had been related to Peter, Peter would have been Paul's grand father. Seeing the average life span 2000 years ago was about 40, I think not :)
PS, rev Ken is a self made reverend as far as I know. And if he has a degree to back up his scriptural knowledge, I would question those that taught him because he has taught things that aren't in the Bible, that a true preacher would have had knowledge about that he didn't have.
Next time, ask a few questions before you ride your horse called Assume, just saying :)
You need to re-check yourself and not assume you know what I was referring to.

You are applying your modern ideas of the word "generation" to the Biblical idea of a "generation". In Biblical times a generation was measured by when a boy or girl is considered a man or women. At age 13. Each 13 years marks a new "generation".

So since Paul showed up 60 years after the Crucifixion, it's reasonable for someone using my standard of a "generation" to say Paul showed up nearly 4 generations after Jesus lived.

Like you said yourself,"Next time, ask a few questions before you ride your horse called Assume, just saying :)"

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#257 Dec 16, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!....
I've met a lot of preachers, pastors, ministers, deacons and priests in my time, male and female, some better than me and some not quite so good. But, I've never met one who didn't ever make a mistake or couldn't use a refresher course from time to time. If I make a mistake about something in scripture, I usually will admit it.
As for the apostles of Jesus, not one had a degree to back up his or her spiritual knowledge, except maybe Saul. And there are plenty who will argue, with good reason, that Saul's theology, even though he was supposed to have been the educated grandson of a Pharisee, was himself more highly influenced by Greek philosophy.
Plus, I know of quite a few pastors, ministers, preachers and bible-thumping Doctors of Divinity whose degrees are not worth the papermill diplomas they are printed on. Anybody can memorize scripture or take a series of courses that focus on Fundamentalist jabberwocky. Often enough, a PhD stands for no more than "piled higher and deeper." Just ask the Lutherans what they think of the pope.
And, whether you realize it or not, every man or woman who answers the call or who is chosen to represent the Gospel still has to step up to the bar and personally declare his or her intent to serve in this capacity. After you do that, its what you do over the course of the following years that you've got to own up to, anyway.
So, the truth is, we are ALL self-made Reverends, whether we are willing to admit it or not. Yes. I am an ordained priest and that is all I care to say about it here. The rest is a matter of our conversation, take it or leave it.
As for spiritual training and guidance and information that I use in my ministry of spreading the Gospel of Christ Jesus, I use every source of information that I think may help me get the point across, including the bible and other writings of that period and everything that has been written and comprehended before or since, from Akhenaten to Augustine and Zoroaster to Babaji and Calvin to Baha'u'llah to Paul Tillich, Teilhard de Chardin, Isaac Asimov to Carl Sagan and Robert A. Heinlein, Joseph Campbell, Carl Jung and Saturday morning Fritz Freiling's Looney Tunes, too.
There isn't anything or anyone that God cannot make useful for the purpose of opening our eyes to see our real selves.
Just saying. ;)
Rev. Ken
Just wanted to make sure you got the Big Red Heart I voted for you.

It's getting to the point that whenever I see "No surprise" I'm never surprised by their self righteousness and hypocrisy.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#258 Dec 16, 2012
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say David had sin. I was presenting information based on the pro-homosexual view of David being gay. He wasn't. He was as heterosexual as a guy could be and his multiple wives prove it as does the fact that he indirectly had a man killed so he could possess/have his wife. A gay man doesn't have another man killed so he can have his female wife he's been sexually lusting on for who knows how long. Understand?
The only thing David's multiple wives prove is that he couldn't be faithful to one person.

Perhaps you don't know that when a man has sex with both men and women it makes him bisexual. And having a large number of wives doesn't change that.

You're so funny and clueless. You'll use the fact that David was basically a male whore with multiple wives to try to claim he had to be heterosexual; while at the same time you ignore the obvious references to homosexual love found in scriptures about him and Jonathan.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#259 Dec 16, 2012
WotMeWorry wrote:
<quoted text>
Try telling Jesus that.
John 21:17
I have to admit I have no idea why you think the story of Jesus and the Miraculous Catch of Fish relates to Peter's denial of Jesus 3 times on the day of the Crucifixion.

But then your views on religion and the Bible always seem pretty screwy to me.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#260 Dec 16, 2012
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
http://www.askthepriest.org/as kthepriest/2010/07/what-do-epi scopalians-believe.html
What we believe...
cool. Here's mine:

http://www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#261 Dec 16, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you Spamming multiple threads ....
Look at the Goatboy of 10,000 screen names point fingers at people and whining that they are doing the same thing he does.

Practice what you preach for a change David.

BTW Who made you the judge and jury over what can and can't be posted on threads?

Episcopalians certainly are part of the group of major Christian denominations now revising their views on gays and lesbians and their ability to be clergy.

You can stomp your little goat feet all you want and insist it isn't true, but that won't change the fact it IS TRUE!

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#262 Dec 16, 2012
DNF wrote:
Episcopalians certainly are part of the group of major Christian denominations now revising their views on gays and lesbians and their ability to be clergy ...
Roman Catholics have certainly revised their views on gays and their "ability" to be clergy; after numerous sex abuse scandals involving gay pedophile priests, homosexuals are no longer admitted to Catholic seminaries.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#263 Dec 16, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>You need to re-check yourself and not assume you know what I was referring to.
You are applying your modern ideas of the word "generation" to the Biblical idea of a "generation". In Biblical times a generation was measured by when a boy or girl is considered a man or women. At age 13. Each 13 years marks a new "generation".
So since Paul showed up 60 years after the Crucifixion, it's reasonable for someone using my standard of a "generation" to say Paul showed up nearly 4 generations after Jesus lived.
Like you said yourself,"Next time, ask a few questions before you ride your horse called Assume, just saying :)"
Actually I wasn't. People have different opinions of what a biblical generation was. This is what the OT states with our math from the web...

The math about what a generation is goes like this

1. Matthew 1:17 “Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Christ.” Because of the written genealogy in the bible and the years listed we know that from Abram to Christ is 2160 years

2. If you divide this by the 42 generations (mentioned in Matt 1:17), it is 52 years (51.42)

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#264 Dec 16, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Just wanted to make sure you got the Big Red Heart I voted for you.
It's getting to the point that whenever I see "No surprise" I'm never surprised by their self righteousness and hypocrisy.
If stating what the Bible actually contains or doesn't contain is self righteous behavior and hypocrisy, I wouldn't like to hear what you say at times is judged as :)

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#265 Dec 16, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>The only thing David's multiple wives prove is that he couldn't be faithful to one person.
Perhaps you don't know that when a man has sex with both men and women it makes him bisexual. And having a large number of wives doesn't change that.
You're so funny and clueless. You'll use the fact that David was basically a male whore with multiple wives to try to claim he had to be heterosexual; while at the same time you ignore the obvious references to homosexual love found in scriptures about him and Jonathan.
Let's get some things defined for you that you seem not to have a clue about as this post proves.
A homosexual male is a male that avoids sex with females because he's not sexually attracted to females. David burned with lust for a woman, he killed to have her. That strikes David from being classified as a homosexual/gay male. I realize you'll find some way to disagree with that Bible fact so have at it.
A bisexual male is a male that has multiple(not a single instance, check the APA site if you're in doubt of that)relationships with both males and females. That is why they are judged a "bisexual". In this story, it has been interpreted that David had a single homosexual relationship with another man. That would not classify him as a gay man or a bisexual man.
A man with a history of all heterosexual activity and one "possible" same sex relationship leaves that man defined as a heterosexual. Just as a man with a history of all homosexual activity and one "possible" opposite sex relationship leaves that man defined as a homosexual.
The entire Biblical life time account of David leaves him to be defined by scholars as a heterosexual male. He had many, many wives. Some he choose himself and others given to him by God. He also killed to have a woman he sexually lusted after that he didn't even know after seeing her naked on a roof top.
There is weak circumstantial evidence that David had a same sex relationship. But there is not a single solitary scrap of Biblical scripture to show David was a homosexual/gay or bisexual man. Call him a homosexual or gay or bi if you wish but the Bible proves your incorrect for such an opinion, not me :)

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#266 Dec 16, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Roman Catholics have certainly revised their views on gays and their "ability" to be clergy; after numerous sex abuse scandals involving gay pedophile priests, homosexuals are no longer admitted to Catholic seminaries.
All that is happening is that the homosexual seminarian is being forced to go back into the closet.

As long as the vow of celibacy remains a requirement, there will be homosexual priests. So, the "revisions" that you have referred to above are not really anymore than basic window-dressing.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#267 Dec 16, 2012
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
If stating what the Bible actually contains or doesn't contain is self righteous behavior and hypocrisy, I wouldn't like to hear what you say at times is judged as :)
That's funny because at the time I'm judged by OUR Creator I plan on begging for God's mercy for people like you, "Caleb" (a.k.a. David Moore), R1, U.I.F. Luv Sarah Palin, FaFoxy, Jr,Esq., Jane Dough, and so may others.

And the funniest part is we all know you can't make the same claim! A sheep asking God to spare a goat?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#268 Dec 16, 2012
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's get some things defined for you that you seem not to have a clue about as this post proves.
OK I'll play. Do you spin first?
.
No Surprise wrote:
A homosexual male is a male that avoids sex with females because he's not sexually attracted to females.
Yet there are hundreds of thousands of GAY MEN who have biological children.

The rest of your post is now irrelevant.

I win.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#269 Dec 16, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text> OK I'll play. Do you spin first?
.<quoted text>Yet there are hundreds of thousands of GAY MEN who have biological children.
The rest of your post is now irrelevant.
I win.
lol...the only thing you win is the usage of your own irrational logic.
You claim/think/insinuate David is gay. Well either he is or he isn't, which is it? He burned with sexual lust for a female, than planned out her husband's death so he could have her sexually while now being her husband. And to your irrational logic none of that information doesn't take away from you believing David was gay.
You can't even show evidence he was even bisexual! And who's putting a spin on what? lol...yeah riiightyyy ;)P
1 post removed

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#271 Dec 16, 2012
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...the only thing you win is the usage of your own irrational logic.
You claim/think/insinuate David is gay. Well either he is or he isn't, which is it? He burned with sexual lust for a female, than planned out her husband's death so he could have her sexually while now being her husband. And to your irrational logic none of that information doesn't take away from you believing David was gay.
You can't even show evidence he was even bisexual! And who's putting a spin on what? lol...yeah riiightyyy ;)P
Look, forget about David and the Bible and all your other paper cut outs and origami that you use to look down on me and other gays and lesbians.

I'm a FREAKIN U.S. Citizen and you WILL treat me as such! Like it or not. You can use the Bible and Jesus and GOD to justify your bigotry, but it's still BIGOTRY.

Merry Christams

“For this reason...”

Since: Feb 10

Marriage = Man + Woman 4 Life

#272 Dec 17, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I have to admit I have no idea why you think the story of Jesus and the Miraculous Catch of Fish relates to Peter's denial of Jesus 3 times on the day of the Crucifixion.
For starters, how many times did Jesus ask Peter if he loved him? Next, what was Jesuses attitude towards Peter (hint... The same as the one you expressed in your earlier post?)

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#273 Dec 17, 2012
RevKen wrote:
As long as the vow of celibacy remains a requirement, there will be homosexual priests ...
Practicing homosexuals are not celibate.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#274 Dec 17, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Look, forget about David and the Bible and all your other paper cut outs and origami that you use to look down on me and other gays and lesbians.
I'm a FREAKIN U.S. Citizen and you WILL treat me as such! Like it or not. You can use the Bible and Jesus and GOD to justify your bigotry, but it's still BIGOTRY.
Merry Christams
Let me try and help you out here okay? I could care less if you were married to the seven dwarfs or 18 different species of trees you humped on every other day. I could care less about your sexual orientation or your sexual attraction or your sexual preferences, get it now?
What I have an itch about is those that claim the Christian Bible supports same sex relationships. It doesn't and it never has except by the weak interpretation of extremely torn down, ripped apart verses to produce such a point.
If someone wants to support homosexuality have at it but don't use the Bible because it has no support for same sex relationships. Not a hard thing to understand, really :)
And a Merry Christmas to you, or as a popular political correct phrase is used so as not to offend the offended, Happy Holidays ;)P

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP committee blasts 'Schumer shutdown' as chai... 4 min Retribution 106
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Jacques in Ottawa 1,684,591
News US marches for women's rights slam Trump, encou... 9 min Cath League of Du... 29
News WTVN-AM radio host John Corby dies at age 61 17 min Reality Speaks 14
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 18 min reprehensible 626
News Senate adjourns without deal to end shutdown; M... 18 min tomin cali 1
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 22 min Poster Child for ... 17,587
News What will Republicans say to justify condoning ... 29 min Cath League of Du... 67
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 41 min EditorAtLarge 52,748
More from around the web