Milk, grocery prices on the rise if C...

Milk, grocery prices on the rise if Congress ignores farm bill

There are 216 comments on the CBS News story from Dec 26, 2012, titled Milk, grocery prices on the rise if Congress ignores farm bill. In it, CBS News reports that:

Santa suit-clad warriors who've stormed the Hill protesting for a Christmas free of concern that their tax rates will soar Jan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#195 Dec 28, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure...but I betcha there are more ghetto dwellers on the payroll in just Dearborn Mich than all of appalachia....one city..out of hundreds.
You'd be wrong.

Do you even bother checking data before spewing out your typical racist crap?

The median income in Dearborn is around $45k, which is right at the US average, while the median income in all the Appalachian counties is about half that.

Next time pick an actual poor city- like Flint or Saginaw- and not just one based on your racial biases.

Of course if you were smart enough to do that, you probably would be smart enough not to be a racist to start with.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#196 Dec 28, 2012
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
For one thing, Social Security is a self-funding non-budgetary (since 1990) program. If we don't have any money in the fund and "owe" it $2.4 trillion or whatever, how are people getting their checks? And how does it create a budget deficit?
I cited a website which offered serious evidence that there were surpluses in '98,'99, and 2000. You haven't refuted that. I don't know what you mean about "haven't paid all your bills." If you mean the national debt, that is not the same as the deficit.
Your claims seem self-serving. Accounting is what it is, and it's complicated when you get to the level of a government like ours.
http://www.ssa.gov/history/InternetMyths.html
Are you really that stupid, or are you just pretending to be?

Social security IS self-funding, and it ran up huge surpluses every year because taxes paid in were more than what was required to be paid out in benefits; about $2.4 TRILLION more.

Unfortunately EVERY PENNY of that $2.4 trillion was spent on OTHER things like wars & drug programs & Congressional pay & the space program & studying cow farts, etc.

EVERY SINGLE PENNY.

So last year when for the first time in the history of the program, the taxes taken in by social security that year WEREN'T enough to cover the benefits required to be paid out, instead of tapping into the $2.4 trillion that was supposed to be in the trust fund JUST FOR THIS SCENARIO, they instead found nothing but I.O.U.s. All that extra money was spent as general revenue as it was received instead of being invested in the trust fund.

EVERY SINGLE PENNY.

So instead the SSA had to borrow money from the general fund just to be able to send out every check last year, and this year, and next year, and next year, etc.

The trust fund have never been paid back a single penny of the $2.4 trillion owed.

It's like taking a loan from your bank 40 years ago but NEVER making ANY monthly payments because your dad owns the bank and you know he won't send the collection agency after you.

$2.4 TRILLION in debt just to the social security trust fund.

$2.4 TRILLION.
Drink

Anonymous Proxy

#197 Dec 28, 2012
Have U Experienced Sleep Paralysis 4 The First Time Son?...

http://spectator.org/assets/mc/Obama_ACORN_no...
Malcom

Glasgow, KY

#198 Dec 28, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again. The cost per gallon of milk was WAY more expensive in 1949 than today because everything was labor intensive. That's why the cost the govt would be required to pay would go up if we reverted to the 1949 farm bill.
Technology isn't cheap, but the cost of technology it is more than compensated for by the increased production that results. That's how people can afford to farm 10,000 acres today as opposed to just 80 acres in 1900
My family has been farming for at least 10 generations in this country.
Are you or your family farming today?
LOVEIT

Betsy Layne, KY

#199 Dec 28, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I've traced my ancestry back to 1625 in colonial Virginia where they were tobacco farmers.
You just lost that bet.
I would bet you couldn't raise a garden if your life depended on it.YOUR FAMILY PROBABLY STOLE SOMEBODY ELSE FOOD OR WAITED FOR SOMEBODY ELSE TO HUNT IT.
goose

Carol Stream, IL

#200 Dec 29, 2012
LOVEIT wrote:
<quoted text>I would bet you couldn't raise a garden if your life depended on it.YOUR FAMILY PROBABLY STOLE SOMEBODY ELSE FOOD OR WAITED FOR SOMEBODY ELSE TO HUNT IT.
Like every good "progressive" would.
Do not think it applies in this case, but that wouldn't fit your lefty mindset would it!

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#201 Dec 29, 2012
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
No, just trying an effort in futility.
EDUCATING a TEABAGGER.
You can't even educate your gerbil Alice. Give it up pookie.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#202 Dec 29, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I've traced my ancestry back to 1625 in colonial Virginia where they were tobacco farmers.
You just lost that bet.
Have you paid your part of the tobacco settlement? Reperations are in order.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#203 Dec 29, 2012
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
The War in Iraq wasn't purely a Democrat v. Republican issue. But the intelligence, the access to information, the claims being made about the "threat" represented by Saddam - those were in the hands of the Bush administration, and were heavily edited and distorted when presented to Congress and the U.N.
Ask an embarrassed Colin Powell if that's not true...
Ask Benghazi.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#204 Dec 29, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd be wrong.
Do you even bother checking data before spewing out your typical racist crap?
The median income in Dearborn is around $45k, which is right at the US average, while the median income in all the Appalachian counties is about half that.
Next time pick an actual poor city- like Flint or Saginaw- and not just one based on your racial biases.
Of course if you were smart enough to do that, you probably would be smart enough not to be a racist to start with.
Isn't Dearborn where many of the arabs and muslim's live in that area? Wonder what effect they have on median income?....

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#205 Dec 29, 2012
Malcom wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you or your family farming today?
Yes.

My parents just retired after farming their entire lives; my brothers have taken over the family farm which has been in my dad's side of the family since 1872 when it was prairie land. They have 5,000 acres of corn, soybeans, wheat, & alfalfa, as well as hogs, cattle, & chickens.

My mom's side of the family came up from Tennessee (and Virginia before that) where they farmed in some form since they came over from Europe sometime in the early 1600's.

I currently have a 10 acre "mini-farm" where I raise chickens, goats, & a couple of hogs for my personal consumption.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#206 Dec 29, 2012
LOVEIT wrote:
<quoted text>I would bet you couldn't raise a garden if your life depended on it.YOUR FAMILY PROBABLY STOLE SOMEBODY ELSE FOOD OR WAITED FOR SOMEBODY ELSE TO HUNT IT.
You'd be wrong. In fact I just came in from collecting eggs from my hens and digging potatoes & carrots-(which are nice & cozy under their blanket of pine needles).

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#207 Dec 29, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't Dearborn where many of the arabs and muslim's live in that area? Wonder what effect they have on median income?....
About the same effect as christians would have I imagine.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#208 Dec 29, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't Dearborn where many of the arabs and muslim's live in that area? Wonder what effect they have on median income?....
Their Camels are on union scale.
sad

Weldona, CO

#209 Dec 29, 2012
So, let me get this straight, government payments help to keep prices in check? It keeps a steady and reliable supply of grain in this country?
Brad

Manchester, CT

#210 Dec 29, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
About the same effect as christians would have I imagine.
Yeah right?
Typical Muslim intolerance is what the culture in Dearborn has become,like everywhere else they get a foot-hole.
Sharia law,coming to a town near you.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#211 Dec 29, 2012
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>You can't even educate your gerbil Alice. Give it up pookie.
He knows he's not smart, unlike a teabagger, they're too stupid to know their stupid.

Poor teabagger.

Since: Oct 08

Decatur, GA

#212 Dec 29, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
My parents just retired after farming their entire lives; my brothers have taken over the family farm which has been in my dad's side of the family since 1872 when it was prairie land. They have 5,000 acres of corn, soybeans, wheat, & alfalfa, as well as hogs, cattle, & chickens.
My mom's side of the family came up from Tennessee (and Virginia before that) where they farmed in some form since they came over from Europe sometime in the early 1600's.
I currently have a 10 acre "mini-farm" where I raise chickens, goats, & a couple of hogs for my personal consumption.
when the owner of that land dies, and its valued by the IRS above the estate tax threshold, and you have to sell it to pay the taxes, will that be good, or bad?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#213 Dec 29, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
when the owner of that land dies, and its valued by the IRS above the estate tax threshold, and you have to sell it to pay the taxes, will that be good, or bad?
It's already been transferred to my brothers under a trust or LLC or something like that.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#214 Dec 29, 2012
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah right?
Typical Muslim intolerance is what the culture in Dearborn has become,like everywhere else they get a foot-hole.
Sharia law,coming to a town near you.
Typical bigotry coming from you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min My New Alias RULES 1,394,351
News Boston Globe's front page: AR-15, 'Make It Stop' 2 min barefoot2626 366
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Joe Balls 216,421
News African-Americans should start voting for Repub... 4 min RMGHispanic Causi... 42
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 4 min WasteWater 12,885
News Rebellious Democrats disrupt House, stage protest 7 min Retired SOF 210
News In climate denial, again (Oct '10) 8 min Into The Night 108
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 17 min Coffee Party 387,770
News Trump hits 'hostile' media, 'rogue' Scarborough... 33 min WasteWater 242
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... 1 hr barefoot2626 967
More from around the web