Congress votes to force Postal Servic...

Congress votes to force Postal Service to keep Saturday delivery

There are 155 comments on the reuters.com story from Mar 21, 2013, titled Congress votes to force Postal Service to keep Saturday delivery. In it, reuters.com reports that:

The financially beleaguered Postal Service suffered a setback in its plan to end Saturday delivery of first-class mail as Congress on Thursday passed legislation requiring six-day delivery.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at reuters.com.

senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#83 Mar 23, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Funny. When bushie was in office, he had Congress for the first two years to.
And really, it was bushie who bankrupted Americans.
But then, you're timeline only begins from January 19, 2009.
America did not get their credit rating downgraded from an AAA to an AA under Bush - it was under Obama. Obama just can not seem to stop spending and giving out freebees.
Redman

Choctaw, OK

#84 Mar 23, 2013
WOW they can't get anything right....why do they get such high pay for doing so little good and a lot bad?
Aggie Nostic

Denver, CO

#85 Mar 23, 2013
Wheww, the lies and misinformation from the left are flying! Not to mention tha lack of literacy, but that is another post entirely.

The Post Office is an "independent establishment" of the executive branch. They are not allowed to borrow from the private sector, only the Treasury. In 2005 they had no debt. Yes, in 2006 Congress, with a Republican majority, mandated that they prefund retirement health care benefits. They found themselves overextended by $5.2 Billion. How is that the Republicans' fault? They saw the writing on the wall, is all. Since then the USPS has maxed out it's Treasury debt of $15 Billion. But they still have $11 Billion in funded retirement monies that they could use for operations, and that is what Congress is allowing them to do. I have had two carriers retire in their early 50's the past few years with cushy retirements for 20 years of service. Since they owe the taxpayers for that, it is time get real with the economy and the impact of the internet. These quasi-governmental agencies just never work out- the greed of the public sector without the market strength of the private sector.
Aggie Nostic

Denver, CO

#86 Mar 23, 2013
As for the sequester, Obama thought he could hold the economy hostage again since he and Dems can't seem to get real budget done. House Republicans passed 2 bills trying to ease the impact, but Harry Reid wouldn't even floor them. Pelosi called them "mindless" and sat on her fat arse. Boehner was driven to finally exclaim, "Do we have to pass 3 bills to get the Senate off their @ss and DO something?" Obama got his bluff called, and now he is making certain that the most vulnerable are punished. That'll teach 'em to defy his will.
serfs up

Merritt Island, FL

#87 Mar 23, 2013
Aggie Nostic wrote:
As for the sequester, Obama thought he could hold the economy hostage again since he and Dems can't seem to get real budget done. House Republicans passed 2 bills trying to ease the impact, but Harry Reid wouldn't even floor them. Pelosi called them "mindless" and sat on her fat arse. Boehner was driven to finally exclaim, "Do we have to pass 3 bills to get the Senate off their @ss and DO something?" Obama got his bluff called, and now he is making certain that the most vulnerable are punished. That'll teach 'em to defy his will.
For me The Repubs have no choice but to stop pandering to the progressive Dems. They keep thinking they will win elections that way. The good times in real terms is evaporating. Started during the Bush years as the boomers slowed down their spending to prepare for retiring. Which is going to be rough for many of them. The fear of being called racists has neutered Repubs. Well, they are not going to win to many more elections pandering to another man's cultural background without demanding he has character.
Your Ex

Craig, CO

#88 Mar 23, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't try to compare me to your LACK OF ABILITY to get ahead in this world. I get a good pension and was a valuable employee - so much so - they hired me to be a consultant after I retired.
Most of your posts you're trying to CON people
And you're a tad inSULTing
Consultant seems right.....
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#89 Mar 23, 2013
Your Ex wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of your posts you're trying to CON people
And you're a tad inSULTing
Consultant seems right.....
I am not trying to CON anyone. I do respond to the posts as they have responded to mine. I addressed Eric when he stated his opinion of me and I stated my opinion of him. To be asked if I am a citizen, or to be told I have no value because I do not agree with someone is stupid.
1 post removed

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#91 Mar 23, 2013
Anybody know how the postal workers union lobbied for this? Just kidding!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#92 Mar 23, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
"Before the sequester started, cons wanted the original deal for cuts Obama had proposed prior to the initial debt ceiling deal. He said no."
So you admit it was Obama's fault.
I agree he had no other choice based on what the GOP was unwilling to do.

You can give the GOP a free pass if you want for their part. But it's hard to ignore their "cheering" in the end.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#93 Mar 23, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
America did not get their credit rating downgraded from an AAA to an AA under Bush - it was under Obama. Obama just can not seem to stop spending and giving out freebees.
So when bushie left office, your position is the American economy was at it's zenith and turned as soon as Obama took office?

interesting.
Chicopee

United States

#94 Mar 23, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
Commercial Banks receive loans from the U.S Treasury every day..... That's a business model already in existence. Why's is that such a big deal, George Bush crafted and signed into Law TARP, in Nationalizing the Financial and Automobile Industry, so why would the post office borrowing from the U.S Treasury be an issue?
The Post Office is a constitutional mandate, Commercial Banks aren't.
Funding provide by the Treasury is not allocated by Legislation from Congress...... Security Bonds secures Treasury money..... Where did you think U.S Treasury Bonds came from? And that has no correlation to the operations of the Post Office....
there is no Tax Revenue used to fund United States Postal Services and there never has been. There expenses are paid out of their generated revenue. Why is that so hard to understand for supposed Capitalist?
<quoted text>
I'll bet you argue with fence posts, don't you?
Read the follwoing slowly.
I never said the USPS recieved congressional appropriations. I did say that money from the U.S. Treasury is still taxpayer money (note I didn't say congressionally appropriated), no matter how it is secured.
If they generated enough revenue to pay their expenses, including wages and legacy costs, we wouldn't even be talking about this. But they aren't and haven't been for several years now (wages currently eat up 80% of revenue). By 2006, they were already facing declining demand without sufficiently declining payrolls. Parce it however you want to, but that is a losing business proposition and if they were a private entity, facing the continued decline in demand that is already projected, they would be out of business. No one would give them a loan because they can't possibly pay it back without major changes to their business model.
But go ahead and keep blaming everyone except the workers, their union and that lovely, no lay-off guarantee that only an entity secured by guaranteed government loan or bailout could possibly get away with. Treasury or congress, that money, either way, is provided by taxpayers. But you will keep pettifogging that issue with your redundant arguments. At least it's amusing...and don't forget to throw in party affiliation digs (though I am a Democrat) and one or two about how smart you are compared to myself. No screed or rant would be complete without that to bolster your argument.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#95 Mar 24, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
opps, another dumb comment...... Stupid.... you must have a million of them...... ROFLMAO
Postal Salaries and Expenses for operations of the post office NEVER comes from Tax Revenues.....
The Post Office functions off of it's generated revenue from the services they provide.
and the services the Post Office provide are priced at rates far below those in the private industry.
Whoops, another low information post. I never said they derived their revenue through taxes moron. Wipe the crap from your eyes and you'll read with more comprehension.
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#96 Mar 24, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>So when bushie left office, your position is the American economy was at it's zenith and turned as soon as Obama took office?
interesting.
Do you remember when Obama was campagning against McCain? Bush had an all Dem Congress, and he tried to get the Congress to work with him for the financial crisis and they would not. McCain told Obama he had to stop campaigning and get back to D.C. and Obama ignored him, and kept on campaigning until he seen he was looking like a fool. This is when the financial crisis started. It was not all of Obama's fault but it was all of the Dems fault.
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#97 Mar 24, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>I agree he had no other choice based on what the GOP was unwilling to do.
You can give the GOP a free pass if you want for their part. But it's hard to ignore their "cheering" in the end.
The Dems cheered when the Reps caved in for the taxes Obama got in Jan. Obama was promised to cut spending and now he is back for more tax increases and more spending. His spending just never quits and the middle class is almost gone. He said no new taxes when he campaigned and everyone got hit with a tax increase and a smaller pay check.
1 post removed
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#99 Mar 24, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Whoops, another low information post. I never said they derived their revenue through taxes moron. Wipe the crap from your eyes and you'll read with more comprehension.
If the post office doesn't derived revenue from Tax Revenues, what's it to you how much they're paid?

It's apparent and simple, you, as most Republican at the Base resent workers organizing and workers earning livable wages. At the crux of your resentment is you aren't capable of demanding similar compensation for your time or skills with an employer.

You work for peanuts and think everybody else should be subject to low wages and no benefits. If you were better skilled and educated your earning potential could be better.
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#100 Mar 24, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
The Dems cheered when the Reps caved in for the taxes Obama got in Jan. Obama was promised to cut spending and now he is back for more tax increases and more spending. His spending just never quits and the middle class is almost gone. He said no new taxes when he campaigned and everyone got hit with a tax increase and a smaller pay check.
Obama has cut more than $500 Billion from the Record George Bush 2009 $1.4 Trillion Deficit.

Obviously he has demonstrated substantial spending reductions.

What kind of math are you applying, that suggest there hasn't been drastic spending cuts.

$300 Million was cut by Republicans from the State Department, that was the primary reason Ambassador Stevens was Killed in Benghazi.

I don't think you're aware of keeping up as much as you claim.
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#101 Mar 24, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Whoops, another low information post. I never said they derived their revenue through taxes moron. Wipe the crap from your eyes and you'll read with more comprehension.
Low Information...... you've proven you know so little about America and politics in America that it's evident you're a illegal alien living in the shadows.

Anybody as uninformed on the political process and Affairs of America as you should not be allowed to vote..... but, on the other hand Republicans depend on stooges like you to carry the Nitwit Propaganda
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#102 Mar 24, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you remember when Obama was campagning against McCain? Bush had an all Dem Congress, and he tried to get the Congress to work with him for the financial crisis and they would not. McCain told Obama he had to stop campaigning and get back to D.C. and Obama ignored him, and kept on campaigning until he seen he was looking like a fool. This is when the financial crisis started. It was not all of Obama's fault but it was all of the Dems fault.
The Crisis began in 2006 and slowly morphed to the Global Meltdown it eventually would become. The Policies that ushered on that Financial disaster, described by Bush as Financial Armageddon, were approved by the Republican Majority in 2003, and signed into law by George Bush.

The Dems has absolutely no play in the Collapse of America and the eventual Bush policy that Nationalized the Financial and Automobile Industry in America.

What occurred in 2008 was the culmination of Reaganques Trickle Down Economics. The 30 plus year quest to destroy the American Middle Class
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#103 Mar 24, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama has cut more than $500 Billion from the Record George Bush 2009 $1.4 Trillion Deficit.
Obviously he has demonstrated substantial spending reductions.
What kind of math are you applying, that suggest there hasn't been drastic spending cuts.
$300 Million was cut by Republicans from the State Department, that was the primary reason Ambassador Stevens was Killed in Benghazi.
I don't think you're aware of keeping up as much as you claim.
It nice you can read Obama's budget when he has not balanced one if 4 years. The one he put to the Senate - NOT ONE Dem voted yea on it. Where did he cut the 500 billion from?

The problem is Obama spends more than the tax payers can pay. His freebee programs,(his giving away our fighter jets, spending 4 million on a vacations and Biden spending over a million on his room in Rome) is about to bankrupt America and you seem to be OK with it. The middle class and the poor are the ones hurting and counting pennies while the Obama's live like the rich and famous on our dime.

Obama keeps wanting to tax the rich more - you know the guys (small business) that are providing us JOBS. When he taxes them more - the more the JOBS are done away with. You can not get blood out of turnip. Let Obama cut some of his 200 staff. He does not need a food taster - who does he think he is. Has he done so much crap to people that he is afraid? I have never heard of such a thing for a president to do. Does the kids and Michelle also have a food taster? This would be funny if it wasn't so stupid.

Your comment about Ambassador Stevens is to outrageous - according to what you are saying the budget cut that Obama has applied on the Military with the sequester is if America was attacked we could not defend ourselves since Obama made the cuts.

The reason there was no support given to Stevens is because of INCOMPETENCE OF THE WHITE HOUSE. The LIES that was told about the VIDEO for weeks when Obama and Hillary knew exactly what happened but Obama did not want to miss his opportunity to appear on Letterman. Don't try to blame the murder of Stevens on the Reps because it was our fearless leader and Hillary that MURDERED Ambassador Stevens and then LIED ABOUT IT. When the truth comes out and it will, the American people will be heard.
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#104 Mar 24, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
The Crisis began in 2006 and slowly morphed to the Global Meltdown it eventually would become. The Policies that ushered on that Financial disaster, described by Bush as Financial Armageddon, were approved by the Republican Majority in 2003, and signed into law by George Bush.
The Dems has absolutely no play in the Collapse of America and the eventual Bush policy that Nationalized the Financial and Automobile Industry in America.
What occurred in 2008 was the culmination of Reaganques Trickle Down Economics. The 30 plus year quest to destroy the American Middle Class
The Dems had control of Congress in 2008. Bush did not do anything that was NOT APPROVED BY CONGRESS WHICH OBAMA played a part. Your claim of the 30 year quest to destroy America - included several Dem Presidents, and yet you blame the REPS. Interesting on how you figure your input.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obamas choose New York architects to design Chi... 4 min bozo 1
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 4 min Chicagoan by Birth 3,562
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 4 min An NFL Fan 388,369
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 min ChristineM 20,180
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min rahm Jizzbucket e... 1,396,283
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min JRB 217,018
Time to go? (Jun '15) 7 min barefoot2626 12,012
News News 28 Mins Ago 'Not the America we want': Oba... 23 min barefoot2626 381
News Boston Globe's front page: AR-15, 'Make It Stop' 1 hr spocko 540
More from around the web