Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61391 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#14823 Dec 18, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
And my obvious point is that it is possible to hold your breath until idiotic things such as we are noting self-destruct. No matter who attempts to dictate them. History is even on my side.
My inevitable death won't change that.
Smirk.
So hold your breath then.

At least that will shut you up for awhile.

Rights once extended are seldom reversed. History bears that out.

Now take a DEEP breath..........

Tawas City, Michigan

#14824 Dec 18, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
They are supposed to.
They obviously don't always.
You know that. It is why my pointing out the incongruities annoys you. Even scares you.
Smile.
I have no fear of the present NOR the future, because I know marriage equality will be a reality nationwide within my lifetime.

On the other had, you're obviously terrified of that future.

Aaah, good times!

Tawas City, Michigan

#14825 Dec 18, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Polygamy is good peoples marriages. It is not a plot against anyone elses marriage. It deserves the same respect as your marriage. No more and certainly no less.
What's "good" about people forcing children into "marriages" against their will as polygamists have done throughout history?

What's "good" about men having a harem of women and treating them like cattle as polygamists have done throughout history?

Tawas City, Michigan

#14826 Dec 18, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Not once, but twice, the voters of California voted on the definition of marriage, a definition which had been understood and accepted since the birth of the state, and Republic, yet a few judges thought they knew better.
<quoted text>
That's okay, we know that judges can approve now approve marriage equality for polygamists! Yaaaaay......marriage equality for all.
Yes, just over 7 million out of 17 million Californians voted against allowing same-sex couples to marry. That's only about 41% of the electorate; hardly a majority.

50 years ago no judge in the country would have even considered allowing same-sex couples to marry. Today's judges are merely a reflection of the changing views of society.

And if society decides polygamists should be able to marry, then they will- whether that change comes through the courts or the legislature or at the ballot box is really irrelevant.

Tawas City, Michigan

#14827 Dec 18, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
A woman can give birth, and be a mother to a child, but a man can't.
Not equal.
<quoted text>
A man can produce sperm, and father a child, but a woman can't
Not equal
A man and a woman can coital conceive a child, but two men or two women can't
Not equal, nor is it suppose to be, Rosie.
All still irrelevant to marriage, which is why same-sex couples have the same right to marry as opposite-sex couples.

Tawas City, Michigan

#14828 Dec 18, 2013
garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, and you get same-sex marriage. Is that supposed to make you less miserable?
You're not normal, and that's the main thing the APA screwed-up on. It told you guys you were normal -- that your lifestyle is safe and healthy, when it most emphatically is not. You've been "liberated" for 40 years you're just as miserable as you were 40 years ago.
Same-sex marriage won't change that which is no doubt why 95% Massachusetts gays are not married -- they know marriage is not the answer.
Speak for yourself; I'm very happy with my life. My husband & I recently celebrated out 27th anniversary and are looking forward to at least another 27 wonderful years together.
Chad

Düsseldorf, Germany

#14829 Dec 18, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
And most gay folks don't have anal sex at all.
Why do you queers insist on trying to sell this LIE?

Do you actually expect anybody to believe this one?

ROFLMAO!
Chad

Düsseldorf, Germany

#14830 Dec 18, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Speak for yourself; I'm very happy with my life. My husband & I recently celebrated out 27th anniversary and are looking forward to at least another 27 wonderful years together.
You're not happy. You're gay but far from happy. Your posts prove that.
Chad

Düsseldorf, Germany

#14831 Dec 18, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
As to anal sex, most gay folks don't engage in it, and a huge number of straight folks do.
And again with this LIE!

COME ON!

LMFAO!
1 post removed
Dale

Dallas, TX

#14833 Dec 18, 2013
Chad wrote:
<quoted text>
And again with this LIE!
COME ON!
LMFAO!
Don't you know that gay men only hold hands and cuddle?
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#14834 Dec 18, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Where DO you find the patience !!!
It hardly takes patience for her to insult someone's mother as an argument in favor of gay marriage.

Insults against straights = patience.
Insults against gays = Hate Speech!!
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#14835 Dec 18, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
...As to anal sex, most gay folks don't engage in it,..
...Can you make a rational point, here?
Oh the irony.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#14836 Dec 18, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
So hold your breath then.
At least that will shut you up for awhile.
Rights once extended are seldom reversed. History bears that out.
Now take a DEEP breath..........
If history is any guide, same sex marriage is unsustainable over time. If it was, in places where it did exist, a few thousand years ago, it would've survived.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#14837 Dec 18, 2013
Quest wrote:
LOL. Because ALL marriages are about opening up the private union between two people to anyone who wishes to join in ...
Regardless of gender, age, number or species; this isn't a good trend.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#14838 Dec 18, 2013
'TOLERANCE' NOW MEANS GOV'T-COERCED CELEBRATION
Dennis Prager rejects decision claiming Christian cake baker discriminated against 'gays'
December 16 2013

Jack Phillips owns the Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colo., about 10 miles from downtown Denver. In July 2012, two gay men, Charlie Craig and David Mullins, asked Phillips to provide the cake for their wedding celebration. Though same-sex marriage is not allowed in Colorado – the Colorado Constitution states that “Only a union of one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state”– the two men had been married in Massachusetts.

As acknowledged by all parties, Phillips told the men,“I’ll make you birthday cakes, shower cakes, sell you cookies and brownies, I just don’t make cakes for same-sex weddings.”

Jack Phillips is an evangelical Christian, and his religion does not allow him to participate in same-sex marriages or celebrations of same-sex marriages.

In other words, Phillips made it clear from the outset that he does not discriminate based on the sexual orientation of a prospective customer. He will knowingly sell his products to any gay person who wishes to purchase his baked goods.

Nevertheless, Craig and Mullins went to the ACLU, which then sued Phillips. On Dec. 6, administrative law Judge Robert N. Spencer handed down his decision:...

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/12/tolerance-now-mean...
1 post removed

“ reality, what a concept”

this one

#14840 Dec 18, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
'TOLERANCE' NOW MEANS GOV'T-COERCED CELEBRATION
Dennis Prager rejects decision claiming Christian cake baker discriminated against 'gays'
December 16 2013
Dennis Prager AND the World Nut Daily, no agendas there, right? The reality is this, Mr Phillips has a right to be an Evangelical Christian and to believe as such, that it would go against his religious beliefs to design a cake celebrating a same sex couples wedding, but the same sex couple has the same rights to public accommodation and his services as a wedding cake designer as anyone else. Our individual right to put into practice what we preach is fundamental to us, but it is not an absolute right. The governments have long been given the authority to limit, regulate and even prohibit practices based on religious beliefs, but since it is a fundamental right they are doing it to, that authority faces strict scrutiny and can only be exercised when a compelling state interest in doing so. Protecting folk from ambush by random acts discrimination based on suspect classifications of customers by business owners in the public square (regardless of their motivation) like happened here, one of those pesky compelling state interests. Dennis can disagree with the ruling all he wants, but it doesn't change the reality that the baker violated both the letter and intent of the law, whether God agrees with his actions or not.

Since I might have what passes for your attention, let me ask you something. Just what civil laws should any deity or deities be allowed to excuse you from and who is permitted to have their civil rights trampled on as a result? Does a believer with a talent for bomb making enjoy the same rights as a believer with a talent for baking, or are there some sort of bounds that the rest of us should expect believers to respect?

garylloyd

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#14841 Dec 18, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
There's that BS about anal sex and HIV again.
You don't listen. Won't learn.
When are you going to stop trying to infect people with your ignorance?
Sure, if you listened to this guy he'd have you believing gays don't have sex at all -- they're above it. When they turn down the lights they hold hands and sing "Kumbya My Lord, Kumbya." all night long.

garylloyd

Location hidden

#14842 Dec 18, 2013
Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
And when they don't, they say you're a bigoted asstroll.
Seriously, Mikey, when are you going to get some new material?

You're writing lines that were old when George Burns and Gracie Allen started out in Vaudeville.
Sir Lancelot

Miami, FL

#14843 Dec 18, 2013
garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, if you listened to this guy he'd have you believing gays don't have sex at all -- they're above it. When they turn down the lights they hold hands and sing "Kumbya My Lord, Kumbya." all night long.
Funny!

garylloyd

Location hidden

#14844 Dec 18, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Dennis Prager AND the World Nut Daily, no agendas there, right? The reality is this, Mr Phillips has a right to be an Evangelical Christian and to believe as such, that it would go against his religious beliefs to design a cake celebrating a same sex couples wedding, but the same sex couple has the same rights to public accommodation and his services as a wedding cake designer as anyone else. Our individual right to put into practice what we preach is fundamental to us, but it is not an absolute right. The governments have long been given the authority to limit, regulate and even prohibit practices based on religious beliefs, but since it is a fundamental right they are doing it to, that authority faces strict scrutiny and can only be exercised when a compelling state interest in doing so. Protecting folk from ambush by random acts discrimination based on suspect classifications of customers by business owners in the public square (regardless of their motivation) like happened here, one of those pesky compelling state interests. Dennis can disagree with the ruling all he wants, but it doesn't change the reality that the baker violated both the letter and intent of the law, whether God agrees with his actions or not.
Since I might have what passes for your attention, let me ask you something. Just what civil laws should any deity or deities be allowed to excuse you from and who is permitted to have their civil rights trampled on as a result? Does a believer with a talent for bomb making enjoy the same rights as a believer with a talent for baking, or are there some sort of bounds that the rest of us should expect believers to respect?
For a second I thought Leo Tolstoy had logged on (War and Peace).

Seriously, dude, is somebody paying you by the word? If not, why do you hog the bandwidth the way you do? Why the streams of unconsciousness?

What are you a Beat Poet? Come to think of it, they say that guy who wrote Howl! was into boys too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Libtardimus Maximus 1,567,636
News How should an angry liberal celebrate the Fourt... 2 min Retribution 596
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Calvin_Coolish 280,249
News Trump's transgender troops ban divides veterans... 4 min Melvin 29
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Jacques in Ottawa 242,129
News House to consider ban on transgender surgery fo... 5 min Marcavage s Trick 275
News Dear Trump Voters: The 1950's Aren't Coming Back 7 min Valerie 628
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 9 min bad bob 18,039
News Can Trump pardon anyone? Himself? Can he fire M... 36 min fingers mcgurke 189
More from around the web