Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61362 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#6269 Oct 6, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Godwins law was an opinion of an idiot...NOT REAL LAW...
Anyway when the jackboot and brown shirt fits the far right wears it,.
No, it's not a "real law". Duh. It's an internet adage. When you are losing the argument and have nothing else, you bring out the Nazis.
Might as well just admit defeat. It's less desperate.
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#6270 Oct 6, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
How dumb do you want me to believe that you are?
Do you really think a child is worse off being raised by a same sex couple than they are being raised by a hateful bigot?
Non sequitur. You are both gay and a hateful bigot.

It's all about deeds, not words. I don't see anyone here is is about deeds, just about getting gubbermint money.
Huh

Faribault, MN

#6271 Oct 6, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's not a "real law". Duh. It's an internet adage. When you are losing the argument and have nothing else, you bring out the Nazis.
Might as well just admit defeat. It's less desperate.
I am winning the argument and I post many things. It is the far right who only has hate bigotry and cult religious crap to spew....Just calling out there Nazi evil.

I ADMITED VICTORY MONTHS AGO..NOW JUST DANCING ON THE NAZI FAR RIGHTS GRAVE.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#6272 Oct 6, 2013
anonymous wrote:
Non sequitur. You are both gay and a hateful bigot.
How exactly am I a hateful bigot? I am not the one arguing for fellow citizens to be held as second class citizens with less than equal protection of the laws. In fact, I am not arguing against anyone's rights, you are.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#6273 Oct 6, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
I am winning the argument and I post many things. It is the far right who only has hate bigotry and cult religious crap to spew....Just calling out there Nazi evil.
I ADMITED VICTORY MONTHS AGO..NOW JUST DANCING ON THE NAZI FAR RIGHTS GRAVE.
"I ADMITED [sic] VICTORY MONTHS AGO.." He desperately pleaded.
Huh

Faribault, MN

#6274 Oct 6, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
"I ADMITED [sic] VICTORY MONTHS AGO.." He desperately pleaded.
Factually stated.

I stand for the Constitution and freedom and justice and equality for ALL people...THAT MEANS I WON BEFORE THE ARGUMENT STARTED.

Your a liar. You always say you support same sex marriage yet you attack anyone who stands for it and cheer on anyone who attacks it..

YOUR A LIAR AND TRAITOR THERE BABY KILLER.
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#6275 Oct 6, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
How exactly am I a hateful bigot? I am not the one arguing for fellow citizens to be held as second class citizens with less than equal protection of the laws. In fact, I am not arguing against anyone's rights, you are.
Oh, I can see two obvious observations. First, you feel entitled to money simply by engaging in a marriage contract, which is obvious proof of bigotry against single people, but is also a segue into Affirmative Action quotas for gays which is pretty much just simple reverse-discrimination. Secondly, you don't like Christians.

You really don't like anyone who doesn't agree with you, and when it all comes down to it, there is no other definition for bigotry. All there really is separating you from other bigots is political alliances and strategy.

Sorry. We don't live in prosperous times unless one is a modern robber baron. The current generation talks the talk of the sixties liberals but they absolutely do not walk the walk. Each and every one of you would gladly step on the others to get to play king of the mountain.

Granted, the sixties liberals were largely young, naive and living of their parents money, but they also had the conflict of Communism vs. Capitalism to keep them thinking about their own futures. It's very hard to separate the purely altruistic from the selfish ulterior motives.

It seems that this generation has completely forgotten the conflicts and the pain of the past. They live for the moment and don't save for a rainy day. I can't say as I'd blame them, for the gubbermint will eventually take that from them as well.

It's really simple. Watch and you will soon see this very thing. The last political decision of our failed democracy before the plutocracy takes over will be to allow inflation to run amok. The rich will have their wealth invested in protected resources while the rest will simply see their every penny disappear before they can do anything about it. When that happens, gays will have served their purpose and be completely disposable, sacrificed to the unwashed masses.

The next decision will be to invest the remaining surplus population into wars over resources. The groundwork is already in place. They'd really rather see machines to the work, but some things requires human bodies. We won't see peace at all over the next twenty years or so.

When we are tired of being pawns, doomed to early deaths by way of steroid abuse and perpetual war, we may do something about something. It's not going to happen anytime soon and you're just a roadblock to progress. Gays don't fight wars. They are emotionally crippled and can't handle conflict. They WANT gubbermint jobs in the military but they think they are special and should not have to fight on the front lines. They think they are too valuable and should be serving their country by spying on Americans, keeping them in line. Everyone lies. Their entire lives are just lies.

Well, that is a problem because gays aren't particularly good at keeping their mouths shut. It's that emotional instability again, and you're already part of the Bradley Manning legacy. You WILL serve your masters on the front lines or be consumed as prison labor.

You're just an obstacle to everyone once the liberals lose out to the plutocracy, which they will because they've forgotten the meaning of Liberalism. They're just the rich kids who dodged the draft while smiling for the camera. Everything since then has been an ongoing lie because everyone just lies.

So anyway, you ARE a bigot.

Think of this post as being like the Oracle in "The Matrix". You've already made your choice. Now you're just trying to understand it.

There's a fine line between politics and messianic complexes. You're not in control, but you HAVE made your choices and your future is easily predicted. Go on telling your lies now. You WILL go on lying about everything and everyone in your life, to your death. It's done!
Janitor

Vancouver, WA

#6276 Oct 6, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly. You have no reasoned point by point response.
The Distinctions of Marriage
Marriage is a miraculous union of two genders, a union so profound, it is described as the union of Mars and Venus. It reunites humanity to the roots of life, while at the very same time hosting the best and natural birth place of future human life. It is the blend of masculinity and femininity. The wisdom of logic and intuition united. Strength and delicacy perfectly balanced. Protection and nurture combined as one. A complimentary merging that multiplies the unbiased blend of humanity's genders.
A ss couple cannot equate to a single one of these distinctions.
This person is obviously mentally unstable. Whoever they are they offer the same nonsense over and over as some sort of proof for their bizarre conclusions, which they continue to post as some sort of factual evidence. This sort of progressive delusional thought pattern will continue until the person enters a state of total catatonic automaton status.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#6277 Oct 6, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
We saw yours. What a riot! Roving mobs of testosterone crazed young men searching for wives and wreaking havoc and destabilizing society! Egads!
You are asking me to prove someone else's marriage would harm you. I cannot do that because it won't. That's your schtick Miss Thing.
No. I asked you to prove that if legalized, polygamy would be 'so rare.'

Keep digging that hole. You look dumber by the second.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#6278 Oct 6, 2013
Technical Sergeant Leonard Matlovich was a Vietnam War veteran, race relations instructor, and recipient of the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star.

His grave is in Washington DC’s Congressional Cemetery, where additional gay veterans have since chosen to be buried.
The tombstone reads:
A Gay Vietnam Veteran
When I was in the military, they gave me a medal for killing two men and a discharge for loving one

SLDN Executive Director Aubrey Sarvis said,“Leonard Matlovich’s extraordinary courage in a time when gays and lesbians faced extreme prejudice is an example for us all. He was a brave pioneer and set off a struggle that we can finally envision winning. The debt that gay veterans—and the entire gay community—owe to Sergeant Matlovich cannot be overstated.”

Angered by the ban, he purposely declared his homosexuality in a 1975 letter to Air Force Secretary John McLucas and fought to remain in the military. Sergeant Matlovich’s case won widespread media attention. On September 8, 1975, Matlovich appeared on the cover of Time magazine in uniform over the headline “I Am a Homosexual; The Gay Drive for Acceptance.”

After losing his bid to remain in the Air Force through their administrative proceedings, a US District Court judge ordered Matlovich reinstated with back pay. After more litigation, Matlovich eventually accepted a financial settlement and an upgrade to honorable discharge. He continued his tireless efforts for gay equality in the civilian sector.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#6279 Oct 6, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a fraudulant piece of paper.
You don't equate to a single one of the elements of marriage.
In fact, you failed at marriage, now you are trying to establish an imposter relationship, destined to fail.
You are HILARIOUS.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#6280 Oct 6, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Non sequitur. You are both gay and a hateful bigot.
It's all about deeds, not words. I don't see anyone here is is about deeds, just about getting gubbermint money.
...and why shouldn't we get our fair share? We pay taxes, too, ya know.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#6281 Oct 6, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I can see two obvious observations. First, you feel entitled to money simply by engaging in a marriage contract, which is obvious proof of bigotry against single people, but is also a segue into Affirmative Action quotas for gays which is pretty much just simple reverse-discrimination. Secondly, you don't like Christians.
You flunked out of Law School, didn't you?

AOL

#6282 Oct 6, 2013
Child abuse records demonstrate having both biological parents in the home is no guarantee they will be treated with love and respect, or even survive.

Children of step parents often fare even worse, if the child isn't wanted by the step parent. This is known as the "Cinderella effect." Adoption by parents who want the child, is a different story.

Cinderella effect data is based on step parent and even mom's casual boyfriend data, not same sex families or adoptive straight or same sex families. These families are very different. The data does not hold up for adoptive parents.

Many attempt to compare families that have experienced divorce and re blending to families where the relationship of the parents has remained intact for the life of the child. Intact marriages are not the same as families of divorce and remarriage.

Adoption is not the same as a step child relationship:

"Although remarriage of a father or mother can have bad consequences for children, when a couple adopts a baby unrelated to either of them its prospects are much brighter... parents treat their adopted children just as well as biological children."

"Two recent studies help to clarify the issue of how well adoptive children are treated. The first, published in 2007, found that children in adoptive households are treatedbetter than children in homes with two genetic parents."

Whatever the reasons for the Cinderella effect, it is now quite clear that it is not triggered by a lack of genetic relationship. After all, adoptive parents take better care of children than birth parents do. It seems that caring for children, related or not, involves a deep human need that is better satisfied by adoption than step-parenting." http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human...

AOL

#6283 Oct 6, 2013

Rev. Dr. James Lawson is a distinguished United Methodist pastor who worked side-by-side with Dr. King training the activists who participated in the lunch counter sit-ins and the Freedom Rides of the 1960s. In 2004, he received the Community of Christ International Peace Award. Rev. Lawson said of the plight of many gay people: "Gays and lesbians have a more difficult time than we did. We had our families and our churches on our side. All too often, they have neither."
1 post removed

AOL

#6285 Oct 6, 2013
Rev. Peter Gomes, Harvard University Chaplain: "If society waited for majority opinion and legislative action, African-Americans, for example, would still be enduring the indignities of separate but equal accommodation and the other manifestations of legal, social, and political segregation. If the decision of the Supreme Judicial Court in Goodridge is "judicial tyranny," let there be more of it...
To extend the civil right of marriage to homosexuals will neither solve nor complicate the problems already inherent in marriage, but what it will do is permit a whole class of persons, our fellow citizens under the law heretofore irrationally deprived of a civil right, both to benefit from and participate in a valuable yet vulnerable institution which in our changing society needs all the help it can get." (Boston Globe, 2/8/04)

AOL

#6286 Oct 6, 2013
http://www.libchrist.com/other/homosexual/boo...

"The New Testament and Homosexuality" Robin Scroggs, Prof of New Testament at Union Theological Seminary is a serious theologian and is favorable reviewed by many theologians. He is a happily married heterosexual with no personal bias. He includes cites from Boswell and expands further especially on pederasty and concludes there is nothing biblically wrong with homosexuality."

"What the Bible Really Says About Homosexuality" by Daniel Helminiask, PH.D., was ordained as a Catholic priest in 1967 and is incardinated in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. From 1981-1985 was Assoc Prof for Systematic Theology at Oblate School of Theology and earlier completed his Ph.D. in systematic theology at Boston College and Andover Newton Theological School. He concludes the Bible says absolutely nothing about homosexuality being sinful when you examine the actual Hebrew/Greek texts."

Baptist Rev Dr. William R. Stayton, Divinity degree from Andover Newtown Theological School and on faculty of LaSalle University's Grad program in Religious studies:- "There is nothing in the Bible regarding homosexual orientation. In fact, the Bible does not concern itself with sexual orientation. It does speak against gang rape, male prostitution for religious purposes, and pederasty. I lead bible study programs on this subject and am convinced that the Bible does not address the issue of a person's sexual orientation."

"God is not a Homophobe: An unbiased look at Homosexuality in the Bible" by Philo Thelos

"Several books already exist attempting to demonstrate that the Christian Bible does not, in fact, condemn consenting-adult homosexuality. But God is Not a Homophobe has a unique perspective in that the author has a lifetime of experience in pastoring hard-core fundamentalist churches. His former bitter opposition to all forms of homosexuality has given way to a rational, unbiased acceptance that the Bible says hardly anything about homosexuality, and what it does say cannot honestly be used to condemn consenting same-sex unions."

"Is The Homosexual My Neighbor?" by Latha Dawson Scanzoni This is the revised edition of the classic book that calls for Christians to reexamine their beliefs and attitudes toward homosexuals. The authors look at homosexuality from biblical, scientific and psychological perspectives. An excellent resource."
reporter joe

Fremont, CA

#6287 Oct 6, 2013
@ Not Yet Equal

Stop it!! You are hilarious!
Your stand up routinte has me lauging so hard my sides are hurting!

You ahould be at the Laugh Factory, I'm serious. Oh, mercy!
Janitor

Vancouver, WA

#6288 Oct 6, 2013
reporter joe wrote:
@ Not Yet Equal
Stop it!! You are hilarious!
Your stand up routinte has me lauging so hard my sides are hurting!
You ahould be at the Laugh Factory, I'm serious. Oh, mercy!
If he's mistaken produce arguments to the contrary. I have used his posts to do research of my own and they are all easily verifiable. If you find his comments to be so laughable, as you say, display something that presents a solid argument.

AOL

#6289 Oct 6, 2013
Rev. William Sinkford, President, Unitarian Universalist Church. "The Unitarian Universalist Association has a long-standing and deeply held religious commitment to support full equality for gay people. We dedicate ourselves to work for justice, grounded in faith, which calls us to support everyone's full humanity, everyone's ability to love, and everyone's value in the world."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min Nohweh 71,856
News Democrats reveal rank hypocrisy in opposing Mik... 6 min C Kersey 4
News Convicted ex-coal CEO launches US Senate bid wi... 12 min Must love dogs 8
News Comey speculates Russians may have damaging inf... 14 min Quirky 505
News Trump Invites Putin to the U.S., Offers Visit t... 21 min spam musubi 86
News Police shootings of unarmed black people have n... 23 min Tiny Emolument Hands 107
News Texas 8th-graders asked to list positives of sl... 26 min Tiny Emolument Hands 42
News James Clapper insisted Trump receive prostitute... 27 min Let Freedom Ring 55
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 40 min VetnorsGate 1,745,679
News 'Get on the Right Side': Shooting Survivors Dec... 3 hr it is obvious 1,446