Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61385 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#53636 Jul 4, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Arguments some SSM supporters here have made against marriage equality:
2. Polygamists are mass child rapists.
I trust you will not miss my reply to X-breath about child rapists, all of them Jewish. If we use his logic then Jews should never be allowed to get married in America. I posted a small fraction of the number available to chose from. I am working on the rest of the list. He has one example of why marriage equality should not be legal, and I have, oh, about 5,000 example of Jews doing exactly what he complain polygamists do. Is there no end to his madness?

Why does X-Breath make me post such things! I don't like posting them any more than you like having to read them.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#53637 Jul 4, 2014
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't even know what his positions are. All I read was his ignorant stereotype of Americans and attempt to put us all down, so he lost my respect right off the bat and got the response he earned.
Sometimes people don't deserve a discussion.
He is not the first person I have questioned about insulting people just to piss them off. I was hoping a little dialog might get him to be nice. We shall see. I too don't see any reason to reply to people who do not respect the rights of others, especially the right to be different.

Location hidden

#53638 Jul 4, 2014
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you misunderstood.
This was in response to the lunatic with barely a grasp on reality who likes to make up nonsense about some hasidic asian mafia hell-bent on raping straight guys and covering it up - where he lives - including his gay roommate who allegedly raped him.
Either he moves, or he liked it.
Go to a shelter, or STFU because I don't believe him (duh!)
I see, I went back and re-read your post and in context I understand now, what you are saying, however, with out the context you sounded like those "love it or leave it" pew warming KKKristians. I thought it was a bit out of character for you.

Drinking three beers and agreeing to have gay sex, then after you cum, changing your mind, and claiming you were raped, is NOT rape. I do not read his posts and I step over his gibberish like I step over dog shit on the sidewalk. Perhaps if I had read them I would have understood what you were saying back to him. Thank you for being nice about my misunderstanding.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#53639 Jul 4, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
PS to Rose. Several gays have objected to me using the words "gay marriage." And I see you using it. I do not know if they are trying to be the "sensitivity police" or if there is a real reason to call it Same Sex Marriage. Personally, marriage alone works for me.
It's OK when Rose does it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#53640 Jul 4, 2014
deutscher Nationalstolz wrote:
<quoted text>
No I am here in order to convey your crimes to you because you don't learn it in your school.
I have nothing against Americans who feel ashamed to be an American and distance oneself from America. Every American should apologize for being an American and then emigrate to decent countries (maybe mexico?) in the hope to become a citizen of this country.
Beat it Adolf.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#53641 Jul 4, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe at this point in time it is safe to say that no one is going to come up with, or invent, an argument against marriage equality that is going to be convincing to anyone. The argument "I don't like it" only convinces the mentally challenged pew warmers. And every year they fail to indoctrinate their children in greater and greater numbers. Church's are closing and I think gay people should buy them and turn them into dance clubs and bars. Gay people still dance, right?
Ricky Martin - La Copa de la Vide (Cup Of Life):)

Location hidden

#53642 Jul 4, 2014
deutscher Stolz wrote:
<quoted text>
It is an Insult to Show your dumb American flag Remove the flag!
And why are there just 5 stars. I think your dumb Country consists of 50 stupid states.
If enough people report your posts Topix will start removing them as they are posted. There are ways of dealing with your insults besides using the negative judge-its and telling you you are stupid.

Anyway, you do not make the rules here, Topix does, and if topix allows flags then there is nothing you can do about it, except make yourself look like a Nazi.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Santa Monica, CA

#53643 Jul 4, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
PS to Rose. Several gays have objected to me using the words "gay marriage." And I see you using it. I do not know if they are trying to be the "sensitivity police" or if there is a real reason to call it Same Sex Marriage. Personally, marriage alone works for me.
I think "marriage" is just fine, but we are talking about the issues surrounding a particular type of marriage.
The title of the forum is "gay marriage" and I don't see why the term would be offensive. Maybe lesbians are left out. And, since ssm is technically more accurate, I'll start using it here.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#53644 Jul 4, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
I trust you will not miss my reply to X-breath about child rapists, all of them Jewish. If we use his logic then Jews should never be allowed to get married in America. I posted a small fraction of the number available to chose from. I am working on the rest of the list. He has one example of why marriage equality should not be legal, and I have, oh, about 5,000 example of Jews doing exactly what he complain polygamists do. Is there no end to his madness?
Why does X-Breath make me post such things! I don't like posting them any more than you like having to read them.
Looking forward to X-Rated Breath's angry response. What red herring will he use against you? Stupid? Homophobic? Anti-Semitic? KKK? A known hate group? Can't read good? Never been to college? A drug addict? A cripple? A "wheelie wop"? An alcoholic? PTSD? We will see. Can't wait!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Santa Monica, CA

#53645 Jul 4, 2014
Bruno wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh STFU we have the right to think what we want about your SSM and tranny lifestyle, so sit on it!
Straw man.
Think what you'd like, b!tch.
Every time you call me a tranny without providing any evidence I am one, you are showing yourself to be a liar.

Location hidden

#53646 Jul 4, 2014
Rose_NoHo: Like not tell people there are GMO grains in the bread they are getting from us?
ALAN: People have a right to know what is in their food. Some people are allergic to nuts and gluten, it can kill them. I have read enough about GMO's to know I do not want to be eating them, nor do I want to eat animals that were fed them. Monsanto is trying to pass laws that make it illegal to tell people if GMO's are in their packaged "food". I think everyone should know.
ROSE: At some point we get to our axioms, I think there should be rules that apply to commerce that should not apply to private/personal interactions.
ALAN: And that is something we disagree on. I have not heard a convincing argument as to why individuals are subjected to different rules if they chose to go into business. It ultimately ends up being the will of the majority being forced on the minority. One group of people say their way is better because it is more fair in making people equal and then freedom and liberty are restricted, the individual is not allowed to exercise his rights.
ROSE: I wouldn't want a color blind humanity. I'd want one where we enjoy the color differences.:)
ALAN: And as you know I am fully against all forms of discrimination. I fully enjoy all our differences, except for the commies and the Nazi's and the KKKristians who do not want people other than themselves to enjoy freedom and liberty. I am against all authoritarians who do not want 'other people' to be free.
ROSE: But I like to be able to walk into any store and not get turned away because of my race. I'd like to be able to pull into any hotel after a long day on the road and rent a room.
ALAN: I would like you to be able to do that too. And I know you think that what government did to try and fix that problem helped while I remain skeptical as to if there were better solutions than force.
ROSE: Of course Fox News would latch on to that. And no specifics were given.
ALAN: I watch Kemele Foster on The Independents every night it is on. I think he is brilliant and when drilling republican and democratic guests he really gets down to the bottom line and if there is any BS he exposes it. He also offers better solutions that what the state-ists offer.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#53647 Jul 4, 2014
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Objection: you already responded to this one. Did it really bother you that much?
Yes it did bother me, and I have already admitted that I misunderstood what you were saying and once you put it into context I agree with you.

Since: Jul 14

Location hidden

#53648 Jul 4, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>

Anyway, you do not make the rules here, Topix does, and if topix allows flags then there is nothing you can do about it, except make yourself look like a Nazi.
Nazis hate gays and they killed them in WW2. You know that I don't hate gays. Nazis would send me to a gas chamber immediately.
So how can I be a Nazis.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Santa Monica, CA

#53649 Jul 4, 2014
Bruno wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you mad dude? you sound mad --- climb back up on to your limb
Why do racists make monkey references to black people?
Monkeys have light skin, thin lips, straight hair, and flat butts.
BTW, until you come up with some evidence I'm a man, you prove yourself to be a liar each time you call me one.

Location hidden

#53650 Jul 4, 2014
mr nice wrote:
customize ur android interface to look more stylish with this app http:/
Oh yeah, that won't lead to any virus.
anonymous

Fremont, CA

#53651 Jul 4, 2014
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
(Just pointing out he has zero education, expertise, or authority to back up a claim we all know is ridiculous on its face.)
Based on your education, expertise or authority?

It's still a whizzing contest to me. Watch TonyC as he takes the pleasure of the garden hose! Behold and be amazed!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
1 post removed
anonymous

Fremont, CA

#53653 Jul 4, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah, that won't lead to any virus.
If you don't want a virus, don't root your droid!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#53654 Jul 4, 2014
Tony C: Since that is not possible or realistic, the government has to put protections in place to keep things from getting too out of hand.

ALAN: What would we do if we didn't have a government?

TonyC: Weren't you just asking where would people go if...?

ALAN: Yes, and in the context that I wrote that, it is clear that I meant if blacks didn't like how they were treated in America they should do something about it. They should change America, and that is exactly what they did.

Tony C: So where would black people go for lunch when they weren't allowed at the lunch counter and there were not yet laws in place to protect them?

ALAN: You have never been in the south have you. Where did black people eat lunch before the laws? There were black owned businesses. Yes, it wasn't much fun for black people and it was black people marching in the streets and getting hosed down with fire hoses that changed America, not the laws that came AFTER the fire hoses.

Tony C: It's the best we can do to preserve our God-given rights.

ALAN: Our rights do not come from God, they come from being born, they come from being human. And if you are not human you lose your rights. Or should lose them.

Tony C: If you choose to open a business, it's a business, not a person, not you.

ALAN: I am not me if I open a burger joint?

Tony C: It may represent you to some degree, but if you have incorporated, it is a separate entity without a religion, without prejudice, etc.

ALAN: If we open a burger and beer joint and we do not want to serve the members of the Westboro Baptist Church or the skin head KKKristians, why do we have to serve them? As individuals we have rights and you are saying we lose our rights when we go into business. Just saying we lose our rights does not tell me why. I know the reasoning behind these laws and I do not agree with it.

Tony C: If you put yourself out there in the public domain, which nobody has to do, then you have a responsibility to the public that is different than an individual's responsibility to the public.

ALAN: Who made that rule and why did they make it? I say you do not have any right to make rules and force me to obey them. If I don't like bigot Christians and I don't want them at my house, why do you believe you have a right to force me to serve them in my restaurant?

That it YOUR idea of a public good, but it is NOT my idea of one.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#53655 Jul 4, 2014
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you and KiMare too stupid to realize that there are no wives in a m/m marriage?
"m/m"? M&M's can get married?

Actually we realize marriage is a union of husband and wife, culturally, socially, historically, sexually, legally, and/or religiously.
You really can't think outside the box, can you?
You apparently have no use for the box, any box.

Yeah, that pun just went right over your head.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Santa Monica, CA

#53656 Jul 4, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
We live in California, and have the option to educate our children at home or send them to a private school, most other states have compulsory attendance laws. I was mostly home schooled but about every other year I did go to one of the governments indoctrination centers, and I can assure you we were taught that we should look to the government for a solution for all of our problems.
I'm in CA, too. Always went to public schools, and I was never told we should look to the government for a solution for all of our problems. In fact, we were taught government needed to be limited. And that the main reason we had three branches of government was to keep it from becoming too powerful.
Something like this:

:)
Reverend Alan wrote:
I remember at the time this third grade teacher, Miss Tate,[gawd I hated that bitch!] asking the class to mention all the things that government does for us. Someone said, roads, another hospitals. Police, fire department, traffic signals. Ambulances. They stop speeders. They stop thieves and murderers. On and on the class found example after example of what the government did for us, and Miss Tate wrote them all on the black boards. When I got home I told my parents and my mother asked why I didn't ask what would happen if government didn't do any of those things, and my dad said, well, there it is, this is why we don't send you to school. I liked to go to school occasionally because I got to meet new friends and plan things for the weekends. By the time I got to 7th grade I was pretty confrontational to the teachers.
I remember this one history teacher explaining why blacks used drugs and could not be trusted around white women. He also said Indian's were dirty and Mexican's lazy. I of course knew that that was all bull shit, and I said so. I was told to leave the class, and all of my "friends" questioned why I argued with the teacher. They didn't actually call me a race traitor, but the message was the same. I quit school and only returned in the 9th grade.
Do you think it was ever mentioned that our Founding Fathers owned other people? I do not ever remember hearing that, and I have a pretty good memory. I remember my best friend, Jewish, who was told he had to participate in the Christmas play by singing All come all ye faithful: https://www.youtube.com/watch...
In those days many Jews kept their mouths shut as did black and Mexicans and women.
WOW!
Good on you!

We had very different experiences!!

One amusing difference is that my siblings and I were about the only people in our elementary school who *weren't* Jewish. The playground was quite vacant on Jewish holidays.:) And I wasn't forced to sing ""Hanukkah, O Hanukkah" or dance the hora, but I did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 9 min Mnbvcxz 37,099
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Grey Ghost 1,621,014
News Fusion GPS asks court to shield financial recor... 16 min FireFellow44 2
News Mitch McConnell says he's awaiting President Tr... 20 min WhityBulger 9
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 52 min True Cure 318,388
News After years of influence, GOP kingmaker's futur... 1 hr CodeTalker 1
News News Trump voting commission criticized for lac... 1 hr CodeTalker 2
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 6 hr old_moose 13,219
More from around the web