Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61390 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#4523 Jul 4, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Then don't have a tantrum. I'll tell you how gay marriage impacts my life.
First, we all pay taxes and married people get an unfair tax break to begin with. Adding insult to injury along with a little more injury, insurance companies will charge single people more for coverage, which they cannot turn down thanks to Mr. "Redistribution of Wealth", President Obama and his good ol' boys in the democratic party.
So, you choose not to legally marry, and dislike all those who choose to, and receive certain government protections because of it?

That sounds like you are rather miserable, and it upsets you that a few gay citizens will not longer be required to be as miserable as yourself.

And, seriously, you are blaming Obama for MARRIAGE? MARRIAGE? Really? How does that work in your mind, exactly?

I thought that Republicans support the institution in even greater numbers than "liberals"?
1 post removed
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4525 Jul 4, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok hitler......FREEDOM AND EQUALITY AND JUSTCIE FOR ALL....get the all part Nazi pig????????
Anyway it is the 4th of July us REAL PATRIOTS celebrate our great FREE nation....I am sure you have a KKK or Naiz of America meeting today....SLIME.....bye I am off for today.
THAT's your rebuttal? Calling me a NAZI pig? That's not only childish hypocrisy, it's completely uninformed.

You can wear your flag and call yourself a patriot all you want. You feel entitled to take from the minority of single people. We know what you really are.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4526 Jul 4, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you don't mind my chiming in on you here, but if you do, sorry, but I'm going to do it anyways.
<quoted text>While you may feel that those who can and do enter marriage are getting unfair tax breaks in relation to their unmarried counterparts, they are performing a service that the government wants to encourage.
<quoted text> Sweetie, you may not realize that isn't the governments fault that you aren't married, it is still an option available to you. Simply because the number of people who will not marry you has now doubled by adding everyone of your same sex into the pool of those who will not say I do to you, even though they legally could, does not make your problem the government's.
Reality check, while there are an assortment of rights, benefits etc attached to the status of marriage that we single folk are not entitled, we get our fair share of rights etc that they just married their way out of eligibility for.
Parse bunny!

The government does not exist to take advantage of "services". I've already stated, it is my choice not to marry and the government has no business penalizing me for my choices in my own pursuit of happiness.

Feel free to give me ONE example of "rights"(actually, privileges!) that single people enjoy that married people don't. Just one! Married people have a self-imposed burden of the financial obligations of raising children, but that doesn't mean that single parents don't have that burden, does it? Nope!

Just name ONE privilege that single people have! ONE!
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4527 Jul 4, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you choose not to legally marry, and dislike all those who choose to, and receive certain government protections because of it?
That sounds like you are rather miserable, and it upsets you that a few gay citizens will not longer be required to be as miserable as yourself.
And, seriously, you are blaming Obama for MARRIAGE? MARRIAGE? Really? How does that work in your mind, exactly?
I thought that Republicans support the institution in even greater numbers than "liberals"?
Why do you attack my character? I'm politically responsible and that is not a crime. That's a responsibility that all people should take on.

Who said I was attacking Obama for marriage? Where do you get these non-sequiturs? He's being irresponsible, but it's Congress that creates the laws. Obama is just on the gravy train that his party rides. He has failed to uphold any of his promises. He didn't get bushwhacked by an unexpected situation. He just betrayed the centrists who put their faith in him. He got elected a second time purely because the Republicans are out to drive the entire economy into the dirt, not just pushing trivial redistribution-of-wealth agendas to appease the idiot livestock.

So anyway, your goal seems to be to feel "satisfied" that you're getting your piece of the pie. That's truly irresponsible thinking that only comes from those who have built their entire personality on a strategy of parasitism. You seem quite content to try to appeal to the selfish bigotry of married people, but as I've already said, I don't base my strategies on winning favor from dogs who fight for table scraps.

You and the dogs don't like being called out for what you are? Then stop lying to yourselves. You're not lying to me.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#4528 Jul 4, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Parse bunny!
The government does not exist to take advantage of "services". I've already stated, it is my choice not to marry and the government has no business penalizing me for my choices in my own pursuit of happiness.
Feel free to give me ONE example of "rights"(actually, privileges!) that single people enjoy that married people don't. Just one! Married people have a self-imposed burden of the financial obligations of raising children, but that doesn't mean that single parents don't have that burden, does it? Nope!
How long have you suffered from delusions of adequacy?

The constitution guarantees equal protection of the law for all.
Marriage is a choice.
If you choose not to marry, then you don't get the legal rights or protections.

It isn't rocket science.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4529 Jul 4, 2013
anonymous wrote:
Parse bunny!
Pointless insult!
anonymous wrote:
I have a feeling your not being married isn't as much your choice as you proclaim it to be bunny, but that be neither here nor there. Unless you are a self-sufficient hermit living off the grid, you are performing services for your government whether you want to or not. You are participating in the economy, your community and civic affairs, all in service to the government.
anonymous wrote:
The poverty level for single parents with children is significantly lower than that of their married counterparts, meaning they are sooner to receive benefits and the difference in the level of benefits can be such that it is often a hit in the wallet to marry the baby's other parent. Single folk aren't subject to community property laws when shacking up with a legal stranger. Depending on your financial situation, it can be far more advantageous to be single than married, especially in the upper income brackets.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4530 Jul 5, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
How long have you suffered from delusions of adequacy?
The constitution guarantees equal protection of the law for all.
Marriage is a choice.
If you choose not to marry, then you don't get the legal rights or protections.
It isn't rocket science.
And marriage isn't the issue. Unfair taxation is the issue. Personally, I don't think the State can Constitutionally be involved in the ritual of marriage because doing so simply endorses one type of behavior over another.

As long as married people aren't getting tax breaks and prejudicial preferences, I don't have a problem with them marrying you to a fire hydrant if you so choose.....But FIRST we eliminate the tax breaks. Not one shred of legal endorsement. Nothing!
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4531 Jul 5, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Pointless insult!
<quoted text>I have a feeling your not being married isn't as much your choice as you proclaim it to be bunny, but that be neither here nor there. Unless you are a self-sufficient hermit living off the grid, you are performing services for your government whether you want to or not. You are participating in the economy, your community and civic affairs, all in service to the government.
<quoted text>The poverty level for single parents with children is significantly lower than that of their married counterparts, meaning they are sooner to receive benefits and the difference in the level of benefits can be such that it is often a hit in the wallet to marry the baby's other parent. Single folk aren't subject to community property laws when shacking up with a legal stranger. Depending on your financial situation, it can be far more advantageous to be single than married, especially in the upper income brackets.
Parse Bunny! One, I'm returning the favor. Two, stop chopping up my posts into tiny out-of-context things you can throw your sound bites at.

Parse Bunny! Just do it!

Then you can SHOW me your evidence that single parents live a better life than married people do. What an ignorant, bigoted lie!

Location hidden

#4532 Jul 5, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you attack my character? I'm politically responsible and that is not a crime. That's a responsibility that all people should take on.
Who said I was attacking Obama for marriage? Where do you get these non-sequiturs? He's being irresponsible, but it's Congress that creates the laws. Obama is just on the gravy train that his party rides. He has failed to uphold any of his promises.........
I didn't attack your character, I responded to the very argument you were making against all marriage. That since you choose not to marry, and believe you are being financially punished because of that choice, that gay people should have no choice at all.

And you were blaming Obama for creating or supporting the marriage perks, which is not logical. Unless you were completely off topic, not talking about marriage, and blaming Obama for all the ills in the economy.

Location hidden

#4533 Jul 5, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
And marriage isn't the issue. Unfair taxation is the issue. Personally, I don't think the State can Constitutionally be involved in the ritual of marriage because doing so simply endorses one type of behavior over another.
As long as married people aren't getting tax breaks and prejudicial preferences, I don't have a problem with them marrying you to a fire hydrant if you so choose.....But FIRST we eliminate the tax breaks. Not one shred of legal endorsement. Nothing!
But those tax breaks aren't going to stop, because the government would rather keep married tax-payers money in their families bank accounts, then spend other people's tax dollars to support and feed their kids. It's not logical to demand that before any gay person can marry, that all straight people give up all the benefits that marriage brings.

It's not going to happen.

We all pay one way or another. Isn't it better to let people KEEP their money then to have to pay out other people's money to care for them?

But that's not the argument, here, is it?

You complain about tax in-equality - ant that's one of the things that gay folks have been fighting. If we are married, we may EXTRA taxes to help subsidize married straight couples, to our detriment.

Now that's changing. And it's about time.

You have a choice to marry or not, and receive those benefits you complain about. And if you were married, you would snap them up - greedliy. We have NEVER had that choice, and now we do.

You cannot logically expect gay folks to accept being held to a different standard when it comes to taxes than any straight person is.

Don't like the tax laws surrounding marriage - then fight to change them - and good luck with that one. But don't expect gay married couples to be held to a different standard than their straight married peers while youa re waiting to overturn every legal benefit of marriaqe.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4534 Jul 5, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
So anyway! Rather than obfuscating the debate with off-the-wall topics like Obama, are you feeling like carrying this one through to its conclusion? This is kind of like a contest to crack an egg. You can't do it by squeezing it in the palm of your hand. You have to attack it from an angle.

I intend to crush this egg in the palm of my hand anyway, because it's all part of my demonstration that what is expressed in homosexuality is a mental disorder.

There's one thing you haven't tried to do yet. I'm rather surprised as it's a trademark of pathological liars. You haven't tag-teamed the debate. Methinks you don't trust your fellow zealots to spin your lies alongside you. I wonder if that implies that you know your comments to be lies, or have you just been burned many times before, trying to hold unrehearsed lies together.

Why do you demand an unfair tax break? I think you also feel entitled to gay affirmative action. But maybe you ARE just programmed to be a parasite and you get a bit crazy when you have to compete with another tapeworm for your meal ticket. Maybe you're NOT politically valuable to the democrooks because you don't keep your mouths shut under pressure. Maybe you aren't very happy with YOUR OWN life and are just itching to show your discontent with them.

Maybe you have been shooting off your mouth and now there's a mean, big, married guy outside the door who is going to HIT you for saying something. You know, you really shouldn't SAY things. People will HIT you and well, they have a RIGHT to HIT YOUUUUU!

I'm going to demonstrate the difference between a moral compass and shrill jealousy today. Enjoy the ride!
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4535 Jul 5, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't attack your character, I responded to the very argument you were making against all marriage. That since you choose not to marry, and believe you are being financially punished because of that choice, that gay people should have no choice at all.
And you were blaming Obama for creating or supporting the marriage perks, which is not logical. Unless you were completely off topic, not talking about marriage, and blaming Obama for all the ills in the economy.
Obama didn't create the marriage perks. When did I say that? Obama is just getting on board with his party agenda to hand them out to a politically loyal faction.

The topic is about GAY marriage, not all marriage. Nope! He's a vigilante, and DOMA has been partially dismissed, but we all know that shell game, just like we all know you're trolling for legitimacy that doesn't exist.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4536 Jul 5, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
But those tax breaks aren't going to stop, because the government would rather keep married tax-payers money in their families bank accounts, then spend other people's tax dollars to support and feed their kids. It's not logical to demand that before any gay person can marry, that all straight people give up all the benefits that marriage brings.
It's not going to happen.
We all pay one way or another. Isn't it better to let people KEEP their money then to have to pay out other people's money to care for them?
But that's not the argument, here, is it?
You complain about tax in-equality - ant that's one of the things that gay folks have been fighting. If we are married, we may EXTRA taxes to help subsidize married straight couples, to our detriment.
Now that's changing. And it's about time.
You have a choice to marry or not, and receive those benefits you complain about. And if you were married, you would snap them up - greedliy. We have NEVER had that choice, and now we do.
You cannot logically expect gay folks to accept being held to a different standard when it comes to taxes than any straight person is.
Don't like the tax laws surrounding marriage - then fight to change them - and good luck with that one. But don't expect gay married couples to be held to a different standard than their straight married peers while youa re waiting to overturn every legal benefit of marriaqe.
No. The marriage tax breaks WILL stop!

They WILL stop!

You're not here to negotiate. They WILL stop.

this one

#4537 Jul 5, 2013
anonymous wrote:
Parse Bunny! One, I'm returning the favor. Two, stop chopping up my posts into tiny out-of-context things you can throw your sound bites at.
Poodle, it's not my fault that you're not up to having your every silly notion challenged now is it?
anonymous wrote:
Parse Bunny! Just do it!
Does cheese or fruit go better with your annoying little whine?
anonymous wrote:
Then you can SHOW me your evidence that single parents live a better life than married people do. What an ignorant, bigoted lie!
A "better life" wasn't your original standard, now was it bunny? You asked where single folk are advantaged by the government in comparison to those who marry. You asked for only one, I gave you three, none of which you had an answer for. Sorry puddin', while there are areas of the government which favor our married friends, there are many others which favor us. Your concept for the day is similarly situated, something which single folk and our married friends aren't. If you choose not to work for a railroad, you don't qualify for the government's railroad worker's pension plan. Think about it.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#4538 Jul 5, 2013
anonymous wrote:
They WILL stop!
Still trying to make this dog hunt? Good luck with that.
In many cases, there is actually a marriage penalty, not a tax break.

Legal marriage, and any tax consequences that come with it aren't going anywhere. Only a fool would say otherwise.

this one

#4539 Jul 5, 2013
anonymous wrote:
I intend to crush this egg in the palm of my hand anyway, because it's all part of my demonstration that what is expressed in homosexuality is a mental disorder.
Thanks for the laugh junior, that's the funniest line I've read all day. Your qualifications in this regard would be what exactly? If you are claiming a "higher education" in the field, I've got a damn good lawyer and I can tell you would have a damn good case for malpractice if any was actually involved in your learnin'. Sweetie, you do realize there is no credible science which proves non-heterosexual orientation is in any way, shape or form, itself a mental disorder. It was included as one due to societal reaction to it and because the only homosexuals they knew they knew were somebody's patient. They hadn't caught on that the vast majority of us were going through life, not depressed, not abusing drugs and alcohol, not getting busted acting inappropriately and not wanting to be heterosexual because we're "supposed" to be one. We were quietly going through life more or less happily, more or less healthily and above all sane, just like you folk, thus not in need of their services. Reality, being homosexual, even a full-blown Kinsey 6, no more a mental disorder than being at the other end of the spectrum. It's what the science says, every time the question was actually tested. We do statistically suffer far more than our fair share of the previously mentioned mental health issues, but that would be correlation not causation. You folk imagine that we woke up one morning, flipped a switch and instantly knew the lyrics to "Y-M-C-A". We all wish it had been that flipping easy. Sweetie, there is way too much of you and far, far worse in the world for our own good. Hon, our homosexuality, the hand we were dealt, a gift from God, Nature, Biology, whatever, whether folk like you want to agree or not. Since folk like you don't approve of "being" homosexual, it makes life difficult for those of us who ARE homosexual. I've gotten off lucky in regards to having to deal with folk who don't approve of my "being". I wasn't exposed to a whole lot of that sort of toxic thinking until I was safely out of the closet. I've also usually had some sort of advantage over those of you I have run into. What you don't get is that just because someone's life seems "crazy" to you isn't proof that the person living it is.

this one

#4540 Jul 5, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
They WILL stop!

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#4541 Jul 5, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
They WILL stop!
And what exactly are YOU doing here? Because I guarantee you spending your time whining in a thread in the Gay/Lesbian forum to a group of people not all of whom even enjoy the perks and benefits about which you're whining does anything to move your personal agenda ahead. If you have a grievance against the government, you're free to exercise your right to petition government to address your grievance, just like gays have done with regards to legal recognition of their marriages. But whining in this thread doesn't qualify as petitioning government nor does throwing a tantrum like the one above do anything for your cause.

Grow up.
1 post removed

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Kansas City, MO.

#4543 Jul 5, 2013
---The Mayor--- wrote:
<quoted text>I hereby ban you from posting in the cafe!!!
WOO HOO
I hereby ban you from being intelligent. Oops, that's right, you're NOT. Carry on! [email protected]
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4544 Jul 5, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
spending your time whining in a thread in the Gay/Lesbian forum
This may be in the Gay/Lesbian forum but that is not how
I got here. It's also in 'US Politics' and 'Top Stories', among others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Julia 1,643,190
News Roy Moore accuser says she was not paid to tell... 2 min Concerned 71
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min Dumbing down of A... 223,021
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 5 min Trump 2020 42,405
News Trump discounts sex assault accusations against... 7 min spud 20
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 min cpeter1313 320,258
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 8 min RiccardoFire 14,194
News Many Christian conservatives are backing Alabam... 11 min californio 149
More from around the web