Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61362 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#40384 Apr 2, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
1 SAM. 13:1
("Saul was .?. years old when he began to reign"--RSV, NAB, NWT, MT)
versus
("50 years old"--NEB)
versus
("40 years old"--ASV, NAS)
versus
("30 years old"--NIV).
Again, 1 SAM. 13:1
("...and for 2 years he reigned over Israel"--NWT, MT, NAB)
versus
("and he reigned over Israel for 22 years" --NEB)
versus
("he reigned 32 years"--NAS)
versus
("he reigned over Israel 42 years"--NIV)
versus
("one or two years"--LV).
KJ = King James Version, RS = Revised Standard Version, ML = Modern Language, AS = American Standard Version, NEB = New English Bible, NAB = New American Bible, NI = New International Version, NAS = New American Standard, TEV = Today's English Version, BBE = Bible in Basic English, NWT = New World Translation, JB = Jerusalem Bible, LV = Lamsa's Version, MT = Masoretic Text, LB = Living Bible].
thank you!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#40385 Apr 3, 2014
Same sex marriage is the death of American religious freedom. Keep marriage one man and one woman for perfect affirmative action, diversity and integration.

Same sex marriage means sex apartheid marriage, a new standard of government licensed segregation, separatism, prejudice, discrimination, inequality and bigotry.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Amazing Grace

Alpharetta, GA

#40386 Apr 3, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage is the death of American religious freedom. Keep marriage one man and one woman for perfect affirmative action, diversity and integration.
Same sex marriage means sex apartheid marriage, a new standard of government licensed segregation, separatism, prejudice, discrimination, inequality and bigotry.
You don't love your husband anymore?
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#40387 Apr 3, 2014
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
I don't know and I don't care.
<quoted text>
Why do idiots like you think using a bunch of exclamation points makes up for your inability to reason?
I dunno Rose! Why are you SO STUPID?...and such a dummy-dumm-dumm.
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#40388 Apr 3, 2014
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know what the 14th Amendment is?
Didn't think so.
So, just STFU, and go away.
AND YOU'RE SO STUUUPID!..and a dummy-dumm-dumm.

So just STFU and deal with it because IT'S THE 14TH AMENDMENT!!!!!!!!!!
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#40389 Apr 3, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>
-
Your error here is to confuse the private purpose of marriage with its public purpose. These are not the same. What sort of relationship you have with your partner or your friends, or what your intentions might be with regard to them, is a private matter based on subjective criteria that does not concern the public or public authorities. It is only if the consequences of one’s relationships have any important or significant affect on society would the public be concerned. Gay relationships do not have any that are comparable to procreation, which is a direct consequence of heterosexual relationships. From the public point of view, gay romantic relationships have the same effect as any good, close friendship, or that of long time roommates.
-
<quoted text>-
This war will never be over, because it is really a war of good over evil, of truth over lies. Any victory you might enjoy will only be temporary and illusory. You cannot even defeat me in argument, because you have relied only on lies, falsehoods, deception and illusions, which I repeatedly reveal, so how do you expect to defeat truth? Like the communists and nazis with their lies, you will not defeat truth, because truth will always emerge and rise up out of the sea of lies. Gay marriage will eventually prove to be a failed, social experiment. The pendulum will always swing back the other way.
Two things. First, You really don't make a point by going to the thesaurus for redundant forms of the word "lie". Second, less talk, more walk. What IS the truth?

I'm calling this a "Drown the Monkey" moment. You don't get exclusive copyright of "the truth" anymore than the gays do. TELL us what the truth is and why. We don't need any stinking carpetbaggers along for the ride.
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#40390 Apr 3, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Preserve the affirmative action, diversity and integration of one man and one woman marriage. Same sex marriage is for sex segregationists and has no part in main stream American culture.
YOU preserve all that politically correct horse ****! Leave my mainstream American culture alone.
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#40391 Apr 3, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Wills, invoices and receipts "facilitate the transfer of property and wealth", marriage is more. President Obama said "God is in the mix" during his 2008 campaign.
One man and one woman marriage is perfect affirmative action, diversity and integration. Americans just aren't into segregation.
Obama sold you out for the party. Any questions or are you ready to drown in the monkey bucket?
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#40392 Apr 3, 2014
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a tougher time with this idea, and I don't think it's quite so simple.
On the one hand, you're right - I wouldn't just walk down the street to the gay bakery, I would seek out the gay or gay-friendly bakery..........

......Anyway, we pulled it off. It was fun, it was deeply meaningful, and I will never forget it.
So here's where I have a problem. Suppose we had been in the middle of Mississippi and there was no gay-friendly option? Is that OK in America?
I believe you are consistent and you mentioned that even white people shouldn't have to serve black people if they don't want to. How can that be a good answer?
What if a business has something against people in wheelchairs, or is just cheap and doesn't want to make a ramp? Is that OK?
It seems to me we have dealt with this situation numerous times, and always ruled in favor of the individual expecting goods & services. Eventually society catches up to that, mostly. But it definitely advances society, whereas continuing to permit discrimination based on skin color, sexual orientation, sex, religion, etc. is not cool.
Either way, you could argue one side is not free. So in that case, I believe you err on the side of who is RIGHT. And since these biases are almost always borne of ignorance, I don't see how discrimination borne of the same ignorance can be right.
A really long anecdote to pretty much state that you feel entitled to your bigotry but others are not. Let me guess..because IT'S THE 14TH AMENDMENT!!!!!!!!

Businesses have an obligation to the community but it is far more than simple quotas. We expect them to provide prosperity. We want a piece of the pie. We feel that we are not subordinate to them even when we are employed by them.

Just another overly simple dialog? You like cliches? How about General Aldo from the planet of the apes? "We need GUNS! Guns are POWER!" ...all followed by a lot of hooting and stomping.

You're just avoiding the real debate and trying to create another tabletop reading cliche. Alan has his "Dragons of Eden". You've got some kind of "Gay Revolution at the bakery" book, complete with glossies. That's a retreat, as I see it.

You want to hold up a picture and say "MEEEEEE!". That is ANOTHER old cliche, but I don't feel like explaining the details. As previously stated, you're not the target audience.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#40393 Apr 3, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
More BS!!!! In what way does my marriage affect your religious freedom? Can you still believe? Can you still worship in a Church/Temple/Synagogue/Mosque ? Is someone forcing your faith community to recognize and perform SS marriage? Is your faith community being forced underground?

You're a tool Brian. You have yet to put forth one real argument. You've never stated anything but personal opinions (to which you're entitled).

SS Marriage has no effect on st8r marriage, or communities of faith.

“Busting Kimare's”

Clitty

#40394 Apr 3, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>-

By the way, how much are you being paid to troll these forums and disrupt the conversation?
We thought that was your job...
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#40395 Apr 3, 2014
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
More BS!!!! In what way does my marriage affect your religious freedom? Can you still believe? Can you still worship in a Church/Temple/Synagogue/Mosque ? Is someone forcing your faith community to recognize and perform SS marriage? Is your faith community being forced underground?
You're a tool Brian. You have yet to put forth one real argument. You've never stated anything but personal opinions (to which you're entitled).
SS Marriage has no effect on st8r marriage, or communities of faith.
Nope! It just hurts single people. Bigot!
poof

Madison, WI

#40396 Apr 3, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not bigotry when you do it?
Is polygamy still illegal?
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#40397 Apr 3, 2014
poof wrote:
<quoted text>Is polygamy still illegal?
Is gay marriage? It is in most states, and would be in several others if the district courts were not playing sugar plum fairy.

You WILL pay for trying to steal the legal process. Trust me, you WILL!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#40398 Apr 3, 2014
Amazing Grace wrote:
You don't love your husband anymore?
I've never posted irrelevant personal comments about other posters. Haven't you learned, ad hominem insults are irrational.

Many sex segregation marriage supporters base their opinions on emotion, not logical argument and consideration of consequences.

“Busting Kimare's”

Clitty

#40399 Apr 3, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I've never posted irrelevant personal comments about other posters. Haven't you learned, ad hominem insults are irrational.
Many sex segregation marriage supporters base their opinions on emotion, not logical argument and consideration of consequences.
You've never posted a rational argument either.
Polly Amory

Chicago, IL

#40400 Apr 3, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not bigotry when you do it?
Squawk! Squawk! Squawk!

Be a love and get me a cracker, please.
1 post removed
Amazing Grace

Alpharetta, GA

#40402 Apr 3, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I've never posted irrelevant personal comments about other posters. Haven't you learned, ad hominem insults are irrational.
Just because you don't love your husband anymore doesn't mean everyone else has to dump theirs.

Perhaps you married him for all the wrong reasons, emotion being one of those.

If you're lucky enough to get a second chance, marry for love, not emotion.

No ignorance or prejudice can hold back the Triumph of Love.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#40403 Apr 3, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
No you are trying to hijack marriage for political reasons and forced acceptance. Marriage by law is between a man and a woman.
Two men can not get married as if they were normal people. Two men fornicating are sick twisted mental nut cases who belong in a mental facility.
Still obsessing over gay men having sex, eh?

Must be quite the turn-on for you....
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#40404 Apr 3, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
And you wouldn't have the red herring of complaining about it would you? You want me to argue a straw man argument about it being off topic, simply because you cannot counter my argument about why it should be allowed. I won't bite. Gay marriage is not off topic in a forum called gay marriage and you don't have the power to censor it away.Either get an argument or stop making a fool of yourself.
You are trying to tell us gay poly marriage is not allowed to be discussed in a gay marriage forum. Why?
Is there something about the word COUPLE that escapes you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Trumpbot 1,745,369
News News 5 Mins Ago Road to N. Korea's denucleariza... 2 min Hostis Publicus 21
News Shania Twain says she would've voted for Trump,... 4 min punzmcgee 2
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 9 min Bear Claw 71,624
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 21 min Radio Flyer 3016 336,760
News Police shootings of unarmed black people have n... 21 min 870King 89
News If an assault weapons ban can't stop school sho... 41 min southern at heart 867
News 'Get on the Right Side': Shooting Survivors Dec... 1 hr General Kabaka Oba 1,403
News Comey speculates Russians may have damaging inf... 1 hr CodeTalker 393