Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61387 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#3397 May 19, 2013
Thats Right wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just it, any reason giving will not be a valid reason, according to you Queers. As for how gay people getting married would affect me and everyone around me, I'll tell you. No 1 it opens the door for all the other perversions, such as equality for brother sister, father daughter, pedros, or the animal freaks, which by the way, if you really believe in equality for all, like you say, don't you believe those groups should have equal rights just like everyone else? No. 2 with ssm being legal, that will give gays the green light to flaunt their gayness more openly, especially around children. That, for no other reason, is why it would affect me most. Having our children exposed to that confusing nonsense.
no. no it will not open any doors, as history has shown us from other states and countries with legal SSM. your invented scenario was proven wrong before you were told to parrot it.

see, it is not a valid reason if it factually incorrect.

In no way will SSM allow gays to "flaunt" any more than they can now.

your prejudice is clouding your ability to reason, as it ususally does...
1 post removed

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#3399 May 19, 2013
Thats Right wrote:
That's just it, any reason giving will not be a valid reason, according to you Queers.
Well, the fact that you cannot offer a valid reason is not because of our judgement, it is because you lack a rational or factually supported foundation.
Thats Right wrote:
As for how gay people getting married would affect me and everyone around me, I'll tell you. No 1 it opens the door for all the other perversions, such as equality for brother sister, father daughter, pedros, or the animal freaks, which by the way, if you really believe in equality for all, like you say, don't you believe those groups should have equal rights just like everyone else?
No at all. Any intelligent person realizes that jurisprudence allows making things illegal, or denying constitutional rights like equal protection, if doing so serves a compelling state interest. In each of the instances you cite, that is the case. And it is worthy of note that none of the restrictions against those instances was effected with the legalization of interracial marriage, under your pseudo-logic, they would have been.
Thats Right wrote:
No. 2 with ssm being legal, that will give gays the green light to flaunt their gayness more openly, especially around children. That, for no other reason, is why it would affect me most. Having our children exposed to that confusing nonsense.
Grow up. It is a free country, and people have the right to live their lives. KKK members can flaunt their views, as can Westboro Baptist Church. I intensely disagree with both groups, but I support their free expression. That is the basis of a free society. If you want freedom, you have to be prepared to tolerate those who hold other views.

As for children, homosexuals can even adopt in the vast majority of jurisdictions.

Get over yourself.
1 post removed

St. Croix valley

#3401 May 19, 2013
Thats Right wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong once again. You can't judge what will happen here by other countries. Their laws are so much more severe towards perversion than here. Having it legal in a few states, like it is here, doesn't prove anything. It's still not legal, nor is it recognized by the federal government, and you do not get federal benefits. It's like a few states legalizing marijuana, still not recognized by the government. If it was made legal by the government, that opens every door for schools to start changing the way children are always taught. Instead of having books like Dick and Jane, it'll be Dick and Rick or Tammy and Sandy. Well, you know what the changes would be. You see, I do have a valid reason and it is factually correct.
By the way, you never answered my question.
Since you and your fellow gays believe in equality for everyone, don't you think those other groups should have equality also, just like you preach?
really? what countries are those and what laws are those?

do you really think you can just pull shit out of your ass like that? most people aren't as stupid as you are...why do you have to lie to support your prejudice and bigotry?

children should grow up knowing about the real world. homosexuality is part of the real world.

what groups are you talking about?
1 post removed

St. Croix valley

#3403 May 19, 2013
Thats Right wrote:
<quoted text>
Fk you Woodick, you know what countries and what groups I'm talking about. Don't play Stupid. If you don't want to answer the question, just say so, don't act stupid. Or maybe you are that stupid. Josh is right, you Queers twist change lie or deny anything to make it appear to your advantage. Again Woodick, fk you and your perversion, you lying piece of Queer Sh!t.
Awwww...c'mon...just one little country and just one of those laws you made up...just one?

it is so fun to watch bigots like you squirm like the maggots you are when your bullshit is called out.

yet i am not a queer, so neither you nor Josh are right...and like I just pointed out, it seems it is the prjeudiced bigots like you that keep getting caught out in your lies.

you don't seem smart enough to lie...just admit you're a stupid bigot and you fear people and things you are not smart enough to understand.
1 post removed

St. Croix valley

#3405 May 19, 2013
Thats Right wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a [email protected] that's a born liar, just like you all are. I'm not playing your sick game, where no matter what is presented, you twist, deny, lie, or change everything. You're a bigot, a liar, and a Queer, and you're stupid enough to believe people buy your BS. They don't.
I never squirm, no one is afraid of you pathetic [email protected] You're like a bunch of cockroaches, worthless, good for nothing, nothing but a nuisance. One day you freaks will be squashed, just like the pests you are.
yet it was you that put out a known lie and got busted on it and then squirmed like the prejudicial, bigoted maggot you are. squirm, maggot, squirm...

dude, you are too stupid to even know when you;ve been shown to be a fool.
2 posts removed

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#3408 May 19, 2013
President Obama appointed people he knew would subvert the IRS to harass his political opponents. He wants to intimidate people so they won't protest:

http://www.clipsandcomment.com/2008/08/17/ful...
WARREN: Thereís a lot more Iíd like to ask on that. We have 15 other questions here. Define marriage.
OBAMA: I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian ó for me ó for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. Godís in the mix. But Ė
WARREN: Would you support a Constitutional Amendment with that definition?
OBAMA: No, I would not.
WARREN: Why not?
OBAMA: Because historically ó because historically, we have not defined marriage in our constitution. Itís been a matter of state law. That has been our tradition. I mean, letís break it down. The reason that people think there needs to be a constitutional amendment, some people believe, is because of the concern that ó about same-sex marriage. I am not somebody who promotes same-sex marriage, but I do believe in civil unions. I do believe that we should not ó that for gay partners to want to visit each other in the hospital for the state to say, you know what, thatís all right, I donít think in any way inhibits my core beliefs about what marriage are. I think my faith is strong enough and my marriage is strong enough that I can afford those civil rights to others, even if I have a different perspective or different view.

http://www.equalitygiving.org/Joe-Biden-on-th...
Joe Biden Quotes on Same Sex Marriage: "I think government should not be able to dictate to religions the definition of marriage, but on a civil side, government has the obligation to strip away every vestige of discrimination as to what individuals are able to do in terms of their personal conduct."
Source: Meet the Press: 2007 "Meet the Candidates" series Apr 29, 2007

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/02/de...
IFILL: Let's try to avoid nuance, Senator. Do you support gay marriage?

BIDEN: No. Barack Obama nor I support redefining from a civil side what constitutes marriage. We do not support that. That is basically the decision to be able to be able to be left to faiths and people who practice their faiths the determination what you call it.

The bottom line though is, and I'm glad to hear the governor, I take her at her word, obviously, that she think there should be no civil rights distinction, none whatsoever, between a committed gay couple and a committed heterosexual couple. If that's the case, we really don't have a difference.

IFILL: Is that what your said?

PALIN: Your question to him was whether he supported gay marriage and my answer is the same as his and it is that I do not.

IFILL: Wonderful. You agree. On that note, let's move to foreign policy.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#3409 May 19, 2013
Thats Right wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a LIAR just as expected. I never lied, but you know that. You Queers are a master at deceiving people.
But, isn't it YOU who can't back up your claims? Would that make you a bit of a liar?

Back you your assertions. Provide facts, stats, verifiable links.

It's not that hard, is it?
The Great Iron Dictator

Podgorica, Montenegro

#3410 May 19, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yet it was you that put out a known lie and got busted on it and then squirmed like the prejudicial, bigoted maggot you are. squirm, maggot, squirm...
dude, you are too stupid to even know when you;ve been shown to be a fool.
Homosexuality is Bigotry against Humanity.

You have Prejudice against NORMAN Family and LOVE of Man and Women, and not sick Homosexaul/Jewish Crap!!

You make Me sick!

Go lick the ass you Homosexaul Trash!!
1 post removed

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#3412 May 19, 2013
They don't want to discuss the IRS leaking the tax records of conservatives who organized to protect marriage in California. They believe in gender segregated marriage so irrationally, they refuse to see the truth.

If you believe in truth, keep marriage one man and one woman.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#3413 May 19, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you are an idiot. Can one have intercourse without marriage (e.g without state involvement)? Can children be conceived out of wedlock? Do you make these posts solely to prove that you are an utter and complete moron?
<quoted text>
The question with the DOMA is wheter the congress had the constitutional authority to pass the law. You have yet to indicate where the federal government is constitutionally delegated the authority to regulate marriage that would indicate that the DOMA doesnít violate the 10th Amendment. One can only assume you lack the where with all to do so.
<quoted text>
Have you heard of full faith and credit? You really arenít very well versed in constitutional law, are you?
<quoted text>
Yes, it can, however, to change something so fundamental as the 10th Amendment is not likely to happen, and the current congress couldnít amend anything, as they have difficulty finding a simple majority.
<quoted text>
Once again, read the constitution, the federal government is not delegated the authority to regulate marriage. Ergo, according to the 10th Amendment, that authority lies with the states, and according to the 14th Amendment, they must afford ALL PERSONS within their jurisdiction equal protection of the law.
<quoted text>
Thanks for the absurd ending, it really illustrates the level of intellect you bring to the discussion.
Hey! Parse Bunny!

Stop parsing! Stop whining!

Location hidden

#3414 May 19, 2013
Thats Right wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to prove anything to you ....
LOL!

Yep. You are a liar.

Not a surprise, really.

When you make a claim, it's YOUR responsibility to prove it's veracity. If you cannot, then you are simply a liar.

It's not too hard to understand.

But that's usually the case with the irrationally obsessed anti-gay crowd. All words and steam. Not much truth.

Location hidden

#3415 May 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
They don't want to discuss the IRS leaking the tax records of conservatives who organized to protect marriage in California. They believe in gender segregated marriage so irrationally, they refuse to see the truth.
If you believe in truth, keep marriage one man and one woman.
Why did all of those tea-party groups file for THAt status, right after Citizens United, when they could easliy have qualifies for tax exempt status as a political group.

Hmmmm, seems like the wanted to avoid all of that nasty "donor disclosure" stuff.

And that wouldn't make YOU look carefully at them?

And what does the IRS brouhaha have to do with people legally marrying? Grasping at straws, again, aren't you, as always.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#3416 May 19, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>again, that is a tax law issue and has nothing to do with SSM.
are you saying gay people aren't targeted by some in hate crimes? they are.
what does Obama care and AIDS have to do with this? those would still be here regardless of SSm
again, you have yet to show one single reason why SSM should not be legal. you try to hide your prejudice behind lame arguments, but it doesn't work...you are seen for what you are.
Intercourse SSM!

No new laws that tax the minority for social engineering projects!
Mr. Gumby! Stop smacking yourself in the head with a couple of bricks! You're scaring the norms!
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#3417 May 19, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that AIDS doesn't care about sexuality, don't you? Even if you are a bigot, it is not.
It appears you bigotry is shinning brighter with each post.
You do realize that married apes are quite emotionally touched at the prospect of your extermination with no particular threat to their existence.

You do realize that single people are going to be the majority in a few short years.

You obviously don't realize that you are a phallus-headed obstruction to actual justice and civil rights. Nobody is EVER going to care about your dream to [email protected] with dignity and honor!....not my problem!

Location hidden

#3418 May 19, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Intercourse SSM!
No new laws that tax the minority for social engineering projects!
That's what we are trying to STOP. Gay folks, as a minority, are already being taxed unfairly to subsidize straight married couples, to the detriment of their own families.

I'm glad you think this is wrong.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#3419 May 19, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no. no it will not open any doors, as history has shown us from other states and countries with legal SSM. your invented scenario was proven wrong before you were told to parrot it.
see, it is not a valid reason if it factually incorrect.
In no way will SSM allow gays to "flaunt" any more than they can now.
your prejudice is clouding your ability to reason, as it ususally does...
....And there's the next-level big lie!

Do you think that current Affirmative Action laws DON'T turn our government employment system into an absolute circus of whiny idiots claiming victim status.

Please! Step up to the mike! It's time for your photo-op!
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#3420 May 19, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
Yep. You are a liar.
Not a surprise, really.
When you make a claim, it's YOUR responsibility to prove it's veracity. If you cannot, then you are simply a liar.
It's not too hard to understand.
But that's usually the case with the irrationally obsessed anti-gay crowd. All words and steam. Not much truth.
Not really. All anyone has to do is convince others of the validity of an argument.

As with all legal discussions presented so far, the most common tactic seems to be about demanding others to prove a negative. I've been repeatedly asked to prove why gay marriage would not be in the State's "interest".

That isn't really provable, but considering it is frivolous. Should I make it a global issue to come to defense of butt scratchers everywhere? How about the passionate issue of civil rights for armpit sniffers?

There's civil rights issues, then there's budget issues. I seriously think that American gays are Communist infiltrators from China, otherwise, they are too nutty to be allowed on the streets and that thought disturbs me either way!
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#3421 May 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
President Obama appointed people he knew would subvert the IRS to harass his political opponents. He wants to intimidate people so they won't protest:
http://www.clipsandcomment.com/2008/08/17/ful...
WARREN: Thereís a lot more Iíd like to ask on that. We have 15 other questions here. Define marriage.
OBAMA: I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian ó for me ó for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. Godís in the mix. But Ė
WARREN: Would you support a Constitutional Amendment with that definition?
OBAMA: No, I would not.
WARREN: Why not?
OBAMA: Because historically ó because historically, we have not defined marriage in our constitution. Itís been a matter of state law. That has been our tradition. I mean, letís break it down. The reason that people think there needs to be a constitutional amendment, some people believe, is because of the concern that ó about same-sex marriage. I am not somebody who promotes same-sex marriage, but I do believe in civil unions. I do believe that we should not ó that for gay partners to want to visit each other in the hospital for the state to say, you know what, thatís all right, I donít think in any way inhibits my core beliefs about what marriage are. I think my faith is strong enough and my marriage is strong enough that I can afford those civil rights to others, even if I have a different perspective or different view.
http://www.equalitygiving.org/Joe-Biden-on-th...
Joe Biden Quotes on Same Sex Marriage: "I think government should not be able to dictate to religions the definition of marriage, but on a civil side, government has the obligation to strip away every vestige of discrimination as to what individuals are able to do in terms of their personal conduct."
Source: Meet the Press: 2007 "Meet the Candidates" series Apr 29, 2007
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/02/de...
IFILL: Let's try to avoid nuance, Senator. Do you support gay marriage?
BIDEN: No. Barack Obama nor I support redefining from a civil side what constitutes marriage. We do not support that. That is basically the decision to be able to be able to be left to faiths and people who practice their faiths the determination what you call it.
The bottom line though is, and I'm glad to hear the governor, I take her at her word, obviously, that she think there should be no civil rights distinction, none whatsoever, between a committed gay couple and a committed heterosexual couple. If that's the case, we really don't have a difference.
IFILL: Is that what your said?
PALIN: Your question to him was whether he supported gay marriage and my answer is the same as his and it is that I do not.
IFILL: Wonderful. You agree. On that note, let's move to foreign policy.
This is not an IRS harassment issue. To some degree, it's about taxes, yes. Don't bother me with this "read between the lines" rant that has nothing between the lines!

If you want to make a point, make the point that Obama has completely abandoned his religious point. He's out to pay back political capital, just like Bush Jr. did. In his lame duck days, expect a whole lot of poison pills to be shoved at the public. ObamaCare was enough of an abomination. There's more to come.

Now! Piss me off some more and shove a family man, Jesus bigot at me next election season! Just do it! As far as I'm concerned, the porker public needs a LOT more pain before they'll get off their @sses! Grind them up and serve them as breakfast sausages! They still need to exhaust all options and they haven't yet given up hope on hee-hawing like a dumb donkey to be left alone to build grass nests, eat fast food, and breed!

MORE!!!!! MOOOOOREEE!!!!!!
3 posts removed
common sense

Box Hill, Australia

#3425 May 19, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that married apes are quite emotionally touched at the prospect of your extermination with no particular threat to their existence.
You do realize that single people are going to be the majority in a few short years.
You obviously don't realize that you are a phallus-headed obstruction to actual justice and civil rights. Nobody is EVER going to care about your dream to [email protected] with dignity and honor!....not my problem!
"Fudge packing with dignity and honor" .Thats the funniest description of why gays want to marry ive ever heard.I love it .
common sense

Box Hill, Australia

#3426 May 19, 2013
You gays just dont understand ,one of the fundamental laws of marriage that has always been the same in every culture and society in the world is that its a union of a man and a woman.Just the fact that you want a man to be able to marry a man or a woman a woman is comical.Its just a joke having two grooms or two brides ,its laughable and most people really find it stupid .

You go on that you want the same rights as married couples but then you reject civil unions.The only reason they dont work is because some institutions such as hospitals etc dont recognize them as being equal to marriage.That being the case ,just lobby the state to force them to recognize them and issue heavy penalties if theyre not.After a few lawsuits and penalties im sure that legally all these institutions will recognize them as being equal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 1 min ThomasA 2,041
News Sessions' lies 6 min spud 10
News Under Trump, ICE arrests soar for migrants with... 8 min Chicagoan by Birth 202
News Attorney General doesn't realize Hawaii is a state 11 min spud 320
News Tax Day marches aim to pressure Trump to releas... 16 min District10 308
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 24 min Chicagoan by Birth 240,357
News Obama meets with at-risk youth ahead of Chicago... 28 min spud 74
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 31 min Soetoro Sucked 1,521,967
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 33 min Limbertwig 265,214
News Americans have rendered their verdict on the fi... 42 min Retribution 97
News Will Islam Inherit the Earth? 1 hr Rabbeen Al Jihad 181
More from around the web