Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61395 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#32903 Mar 5, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
You SAY that marriage lowers the spread of AIDS. I'm not inclined to agree. I'm inclined to think that you encourage a bad compulsive habit and you give an addict government money for them to get more of their dope.
I'd say much the same about some trailer trash who lives on government handouts, but trailer trash aren't the latest trendy litmus test of the Democratic party. You're just getting in my way. How far I take it depends on how long you stay in my way.
That's because you're a moron.

Statistically married people have less sexual partners than single people.

Less sexual partners decreases your risk of contracting an std.

It's so simple even a child can understand.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#32904 Mar 5, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I just did, but I'll repeat it for your booze-addled mind:
Polygamy is illegal because the overwhelming majority of Americans are opposed.
That's the reason.
Don't like it, tough crap.
The success of same sex marriage has proven that you cannot deny rights based on that criteria. Polygamy was made illegal in this country because of prejudice against Mormons. Another invalid reason.

As you well know public support is irrelevant. SCOTUS will be very hard pressed to justify the ban. On what grounds? What is the compelling interest in preventing three men from marrying?
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#32905 Mar 5, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
We're all morons but you're the one opposed to marriage equality for consenting adults. Priceless.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#32906 Mar 5, 2014
Once again, you're not paying attention.

My quote was as follows: "Yes, that's what monogamy means - fidelity, not having sex with anyone else. It's not difficult."

Your misplaced reply:
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says that marriage is about fidelity? Who is out there enforcing it? Consenting adults are consenting adults.
*I* did not say MARRIAGE is about fidelity; I said MONOGAMY means fidelity, which it does, and there is no arguing that point.

(I do happen to believe that marriage is about fidelity, but that's my personal opinion and life choice, and as you suggest, unenforceable.)
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#32907 Mar 5, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm, so a "random" sampling of MSM (which is NOT the same as gay men) going to the free clinic in large cities indicated 1 in 5 were infected with HIV.
That's like saying 50% of women in America are pregnant because a random sampling of women who went to their OB/GYN for a pregnancy test showed 50% of them were pregnant.
It's a meaningless "statistic" with no extrapolative value.
I don't care if the estimates came from the CDC, the WHO, the President, or the Pope.
NO ONE knows how may gay men there are, and NO ONE knows how many have HIV.
And NONE of it has anything to do with marriage equality.
I'm with you on this one. Allowing homosexuals to marry will have little effect on disease rate, I would suspect it would reduce it but have no evidence. Fact is gay men are promiscuous. Nothing wrong with that I am too. We're MEN, we're warriors, we like sex and we're polygamous. Well most of us...

Monogamy is forced upon us. Polygamy is natural. What we do to get around the technicalities is serial monogamy. And what's the difference between that and polygamy except a little time?

Pheeew! I need a beer! PBR! Red Neck, White Socks and Pabst Blue Ribbon beer! And a couple three hot WOMEN!

Fort Lauderdale FL

#32908 Mar 5, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says that marriage is about fidelity? Who is out there enforcing it? Consenting adults are consenting adults.
So you're engaging in anecdotal discussion and I am, but somehow that means you're right and I'm wrong?
No. What it means is that I'm debating the issue, not the rhetoric. The average tax payer doesn't call their congressmen to ask them how the 14th Amendment is doing. They've got other things on their mind. The judges should be more concerned with the 14th Amendment, but they obviously go with the wind.(Or perhaps there''s something else hidden back in the judges chambers which we don't know about.) Until the truth is revealed, we'll just have to rely on the anecdotal and a bit of pathos for our preferred audiences.
I'll put it this way, my anecdotal evidence clearly outweighs yours for two reasons:

1. I am actually gay.
2. I have met and gotten to know many thousands of gay men and women.(Get your mind out of the gutter, I was a bartender for years and I also own a business with a large gay clientele.)

Your handful of little experiences don't amount to much. I am the expert.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#32909 Mar 5, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
My opinion, and this is just me of course is that if I were gay I'd never get married!

What with all the opportunity you have? I always envied that you guys can just hook up on the spot and f***. We heterosexuals gotta charm them, impress them, sweet talk them, money's gotta be laid out in one form or the other, dinner etc....it's a huge pain in the ass sometimes I just wanna bang ya honey who gives a sh!t what your name is.

Ah good times!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#32910 Mar 5, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care what you do with the reverend. All I care about is what goes on a government document. I'm not interested in your shrill diatribes about the "14th Amendment" either. Homosexuality isn't normal because you say so. Homosexuality is what the voters express to their representative that it is. There is every consideration in the Constitution to protect the rights of the mentally ill, but not at the expense of the voting public.
This is what you and the liberal politicians will have to learn. Your problems aren't the peoples problems unless they so choose.
Yawn...every major medical and psychological organization in the world disagrees with your bizarre views on homosexuality.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#32911 Mar 5, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
You SAY that marriage lowers the spread of AIDS. I'm not inclined to agree. I'm inclined to think that you encourage a bad compulsive habit and you give an addict government money for them to get more of their dope.
I'd say much the same about some trailer trash who lives on government handouts, but trailer trash aren't the latest trendy litmus test of the Democratic party. You're just getting in my way. How far I take it depends on how long you stay in my way.
Frankie may have a point about spelling. I gave you far too much credit because you can spell. You're just as stupid as the anti-gays who can't spell.

"I'm not inclined to agree." Well who the f***k are you? This is inarguable fact. Like any marriage, married people are statistically more likely to be monogamous.(At least there's the vow.) Is there a study yet? I doubt it. But how can you seriously argue the theory that married people are less likely to get STD's? It defies all logic and common sense.

You seem to imply that gay people are more likely to cheat. That's just your bias. Prove it or stop insulting us. I take my marriage far more seriously than the average dippy straight person who gets married by age 24 because they think they are supposed to, or because somebody got knocked up, or because they think it won't be a big life change because they can still get some on the side. I actually don't comprehend that way of thinking. When you are married to the person you love, why are you so tempted elsewhere? But I'm the one with no self-control?

"I'm inclined to think that you encourage a bad compulsive habit and you give an addict government money for them to get more of their dope."

What the * does that even mean? What bad compulsive habit is being encouraged? Sex with the same person? Do you think sex with a spouse is a bad compulsive habit? WTF is wrong with you? Random casual sex might be a bad compulsive habit (or not) but how do you lump marriage in with that? What government money are we getting? Is there some financial incentive that is so big that it makes it worth going through all the trouble of marrying someone? Because I don't think there is. You are warped and weird. You are so cynical it's tragic.

You reveal more about yourself with posts like these.

How do you compare my marriage with trailer trash on government handouts? It's the opposite. When two people are married, they are statistically less likely to be on government handouts, especially if they don't have and can't accidentally make trailer trash babies. We take care of each other, so it would take a pretty big catastrophe for us to need to rely on the public dole. Like I said before, we own a home. I own a business. He works full time. Where the f*** is the public dole? And if you are now going to say that all married people are on the public dole, when ours isn't even fully legally recognized everywhere, then go f yourself because you haven't got a case or a clue. Go fight on the "single people who want to ruin marriage for everyone else" board. You pathetic mess. I'd rather live next to trailer trash than your messed up @ss.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#32912 Mar 5, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Red hair is a genetic manifestation. Left handedness is unusually rare in the human species but is about as common as right handedness in the animal kingdom. THOSE things are are "normal" as in part of evolution.
Epilepsy is part of the human condition, but it is NOT "normal". It's a mental illness. It's not something that a person gets locked away over. It just has to be accepted and treated in order to have a decent lifestyle.
Homosexuality? Well, that's in a grey zone. There's no biological value in it so I classify it along the lines of Epilepsy. The problem is is that the behavior has become a health risk and a political weasel issue. You'll just have to accept that I often say "you" as part of the gay community and sometimes I'll say "you" when I'm addressing only you. If you're looking to dominate this debate, it's not working. Denying the health issue REALLY isn't working, and trash talking never works.
All you have left is the silly little judgeits that nobody really gives a rat's @ss about. You'll have to try harder if you want me to separate you from the rank and file riff-raff on this site.
Epilepsy is NOT a mental illness, you complete, flaming dumbass.

Seriously, the list of things you don't understand is astounding.
1 post removed

Fort Lauderdale FL

#32914 Mar 5, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>

Homosexuality? Well, that's in a grey zone. There's no biological value in it so I classify it along the lines of Epilepsy. The problem is is that the behavior has become a health risk and a political weasel issue. You'll just have to accept that I often say "you" as part of the gay community and sometimes I'll say "you" when I'm addressing only you. If you're looking to dominate this debate, it's not working. Denying the health issue REALLY isn't working, and trash talking never works..
What "debate?" You say stupid things and I and others obliterate them.

Homosexuality is only a grey zone for you, because that's how you make it for yourself.

You see no biological value in it. That doesn't mean there isn't any.

Perhaps a genetic line has come near or to the end of its usefulness and evolution is naturally attempting to end its reproduction.

Perhaps not.

Either way, it makes no difference the cause nor whether or not you deem it "normal." Kids born with no legs aren't "normal" but they are afforded every manner of respect under the law.

Heterosexuals who are born without the ability to reproduce aren't technically "normal" but we treat them as normal, and respect their marriages.

The health risk is temporary and it's a bull***t excuse on your part. It didn't exist just a few decades ago, and eventually there will likely be a cure. There is already great control over it.

Regardless, it's not a valid reason against our marriages. As I've told you, it's a reason FOR our marriages.

You have such a lop-sided view. AIDS is the last thing on my mind every day. Why do you worry about it so much? Because you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

You are ill prepared for this "debate." You are unarmed. You have no basic working knowledge of the topic you purport to discuss.

Tawas City, Michigan

#32915 Mar 5, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
The success of same sex marriage has proven that you cannot deny rights based on that criteria. Polygamy was made illegal in this country because of prejudice against Mormons. Another invalid reason.
As you well know public support is irrelevant. SCOTUS will be very hard pressed to justify the ban. On what grounds? What is the compelling interest in preventing three men from marrying?
Same-sex couples only achieved success in the courts AFTER public opinion had changed.

The same will apply to polygamists.

The SCOTUS doesn't operate in a vacuum; they are a product of the society in which they live.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#32916 Mar 5, 2014
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Frankie may have a point about spelling. I gave you far too much credit because you can spell. You're just as stupid as the anti-gays who can't spell.
"I'm not inclined to agree." Well who the f***k are you? This is inarguable fact. Like any marriage, married people are statistically more likely to be monogamous.(At least there's the vow.) Is there a study yet? I doubt it. But how can you seriously argue the theory that married people are less likely to get STD's? It defies all logic and common sense.
You seem to imply that gay people are more likely to cheat. That's just your bias. Prove it or stop insulting us. I take my marriage far more seriously than the average dippy straight person who gets married by age 24 because they think they are supposed to, or because somebody got knocked up, or because they think it won't be a big life change because they can still get some on the side. I actually don't comprehend that way of thinking. When you are married to the person you love, why are you so tempted elsewhere? But I'm the one with no self-control?
"I'm inclined to think that you encourage a bad compulsive habit and you give an addict government money for them to get more of their dope."
What the * does that even mean? What bad compulsive habit is being encouraged? Sex with the same person? Do you think sex with a spouse is a bad compulsive habit? WTF is wrong with you? Random casual sex might be a bad compulsive habit (or not) but how do you lump marriage in with that? What government money are we getting? Is there some financial incentive that is so big that it makes it worth going through all the trouble of marrying someone? Because I don't think there is. You are warped and weird. You are so cynical it's tragic.
How do you compare my marriage with trailer trash on government handouts? It's the opposite. When two people are married, they are statistically less likely to be on government handouts, especially if they don't have and can't accidentally make trailer trash babies. We take care of each other, so it would take a pretty big catastrophe for us to need to rely on the public dole. Like I said before, we own a home. I own a business. He works full time. Where the f*** is the public dole? And if you are now going to say that all married people are on the public dole, when ours isn't even fully legally recognized everywhere, then go f yourself because you haven't got a case or a clue. Go fight on the "single people who want to ruin marriage for everyone else" board. You pathetic mess. I'd rather live next to trailer trash than your messed up @ss.
Well that's special. But it wasn't my post that chapped your ass. But I feel your love.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#32917 Mar 5, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Epilepsy is NOT a mental illness, you complete, flaming dumbass.
Seriously, the list of things you don't understand is astounding.
thank you!!

Tawas City, Michigan

#32918 Mar 5, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
We're all morons but you're the one opposed to marriage equality for consenting adults. Priceless.
Nope, I fully support marriage equality for consenting adults.

Of course by definition that excludes polygamy, incest, child brides, bestiality, etc, etc.
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#32919 Mar 5, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm, so a "random" sampling of MSM (which is NOT the same as gay men) going to the free clinic in large cities indicated 1 in 5 were infected with HIV.
That's like saying 50% of women in America are pregnant because a random sampling of women who went to their OB/GYN for a pregnancy test showed 50% of them were pregnant.
It's a meaningless "statistic" with no extrapolative value.
I don't care if the estimates came from the CDC, the WHO, the President, or the Pope.
NO ONE knows how may gay men there are, and NO ONE knows how many have HIV.
And NONE of it has anything to do with marriage equality.
I'm going to mark this down as a slam-dunk for our side. You're obviously in shut-down mode so there's no point to make now.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#32920 Mar 5, 2014
Sure. Blame Frankie!

That's why I like you silly jackasses.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#32921 Mar 5, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Same-sex couples only achieved success in the courts AFTER public opinion had changed.
Not true.

Tawas City, Michigan

#32922 Mar 5, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm with you on this one. Allowing homosexuals to marry will have little effect on disease rate, I would suspect it would reduce it but have no evidence. Fact is gay men are promiscuous. Nothing wrong with that I am too. We're MEN, we're warriors, we like sex and we're polygamous. Well most of us...
Monogamy is forced upon us. Polygamy is natural. What we do to get around the technicalities is serial monogamy. And what's the difference between that and polygamy except a little time?
Pheeew! I need a beer! PBR! Red Neck, White Socks and Pabst Blue Ribbon beer! And a couple three hot WOMEN!
No one forces you to be monogamous. You can live with and have sex with as many skanky women as you can get your wheelchair on top of.

I CHOSE to be in a monogamous relationship.
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#32923 Mar 5, 2014
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Temper, temper! I've already told you,$2100 a month for AIDS treatment. That concerns me, GREATLY!

If you are willing to ditch the marriage perks along with all the other married people, willing to forgo any wording in a civil union contract that mentions sexual preference, willing for forget about any kind of Affirmative Action status and willing to eat the insurance risk costs rather than try to force it on the corporate health plan, you have my support.

If your marriage doesn't need dat ol' gubbermint money, then power to the people, right on!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min JRB 222,581
News Trump calls on GOP to improve African-American ... 13 min TRUMP FAN 363
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 14 min -Dont Panic- 393,299
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 14 min Surgit Tempestas 7,854
News Police chief still paid? 20 min Beth 5
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 21 min IND 239,558
News Who is the real 'racist,' Clinton or Trump? Thi... 21 min Battle Tested 50
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 52 min sonicfilter 1,419,302
More from around the web