Gay marriage

There are 20 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#28850 Feb 18, 2014
Dr Lector wrote:
God specifically says that He ABHORS people who engage in sodomy (as well as other forms of sexual perversion): "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them...And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them." Leviticus 20:13,23. Understand? GOD ABHORS FAGS.
GOD CHANGES HIS MIND: "The Lord said: I have forgiven them at your request...." (Num. 14:20). "God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not" (Jonah 3:10). "God said to Balaam,'Do not go with them. You must not put a curse on those people, because they are blessed.'.... That night God came to Balaam and said,'Since these men have come to summon you, go with them, but do only what I tell you.' Balaam got up in the morning, saddled his donkey and went with the princes of Moab. But God was very angry when he went, and the angel of the Lord stood in the road to oppose him...." (Num. 22:20-22). God told Balaam not to go, then changed his mind and told him to go and punished him when he did. Talk about indecision!

Finally, in 2 Kings 20:1 Isaiah came to the sick Hezekiah and told him he would die and not recover according to God's word. But according to the 4th and 5th verses God told Isaiah to go back and tell Hezekiah that because God had heard his prayer and seen his tears he would be healed and live 15 more years. Again, God changed his mind.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#28851 Feb 18, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>
If anyone believes in God, He is calling you to Christ.
GOD DECEIVES:
"O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived...." (Jer. 20:7).
"if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel" (Ezek. 14:9).
"Ah, Lord God! Surely thou hast greatly deceived this people and Jerusalem, saying, Ye shall have peace; whereas the sword reaches unto the soul" (Jer. 4:10).
"...God sends upon them a strong delusion, to make them believe what is false, so that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness" (2 Thess. 2:9-12).

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#28852 Feb 18, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes, and just like once there was slavery and now there isn't, and once like women could not vote, and now they can, and just like alcohol was legal, then it wasn't and now it is again, gay rights are cast in concrete and gay people will never have to worry about another Hitler springing up and changing everything back. It could never happen.
Hey did you see The Handmaids Tale?
The Handmaid's Tale is a dystopian novel, a work of science fiction or speculative fiction, written by Canadian author Margaret Atwood and first published by McClelland and Stewart in 1985. Set in the near future, in a totalitarian Christian theocracy which has overthrown the United States government, The Handmaid's Tale explores themes of women in subjugation and the various means by which they gain agency.
Have you watched this? Tell me it can't happen here.
Obviously our government could be overthrown in the future; most likely by anarchists such as yourself or Anonymous. If that happens, all bets are off. That's why I have my guns & ammunition stockpiles, as well as enough food and water to last for a decades

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#28853 Feb 18, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>-
One's personal relationship is with Christ. It is through him that one can come before God and know Him. One cannot come to God directly, because only those who are holy and without sin can approach God. Christ is our intercessor.
Interestingly enough, according to the Bible no biblicist is a Christian because none abide in Christ. Since none abide in Christ, how anyone can ever be saved becomes a logical question. Why can't people abide in Christ? Because everyone commits anti-social behavior, or what biblicists refer to as sin, and that excludes them summarily: "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him" (1 John 3:6), "No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God" (1 John 3:9 NIV), "We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin, the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one does not touch him" (1 John 5:18 NIV). Obviously, then, no one has ever been born of God since all biblicists continue to sin, regardless. Until someone can demonstrate sinless perfection, abiding in Christ remains illusory.

And to make matters even worse from the biblicist's perspective, James 2:10 NIV says, "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." Also note Matt. 5:19. Since every believer repeatedly stumbles on one point or another, all believers are equally immoral. In other words, while John alleges that any sin obviates any possibility of one abiding in Christ, James asserts everyone commits the most heinous of acts.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#28854 Feb 18, 2014
garylloyd wrote:
Had Enough Yet, Rose?
Honestly, Rose, you really put a nail in your coffin when you told us "Pot is no more harmful than alcohol."
You see, that's not a claim a medical doctor or research scientist would make. It's rhetoric -- something an idiot politician like Obama would makes. It's like his "Stonewall is Selma" comment or "Jason Collins is courageous" comment. Both of these comments were steeped in ignorance too.
The point is, if anyone had questioned your intelligence and addiction to LGBT slogans before, they now had all the evidence needed to conclude you don't get off your fat, lazy ass to research any of the screwball ideas you post here.
So, thank you for displaying your massive ignorance about weed. Thank you for making my work easier. Of course if you could produce one medical doctor who supports your "weed is harmless" mantra I might cut you some slick -- but you can't. And the reason why you can't is because not one exists.
That's right -- as with your views on homosexuality, you promote ignorance and misinformation no legitimate scientist would ever go on record supporting.
Earlier you asked me how was weed and homosexuality destroying black youth. I didn't answer because I couldn't believe you're so ignorant you couldn't grasp how destructive your ignorance and misinformation is.
Has it not dawned on you that when you tell kids cock-sucking, anal sex, and weed-smoking are cool they'll try them?
Are you really that miserably stupid you don't grasp the cause and effect in that?
Poor gary...still obsessed with man on man sex.

Never a mention of the lesbians.

Interesting, interesting, interesting...

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#28855 Feb 18, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>-
Unless you are with Christ, you have merely invented a sky fairy, an imaginary friend that lets you feel good about yourself. It is all psychological processes, emotions, wishful thinking and self-delusions. Those voices in your head and those feelings in your heart… it's just you talking to yourself. If you want God to speak to you, go read a Bible. Unless you are one of God's prophets, that is the only sure instance of God speaking to man.
Interestingly enough, according to the Bible no biblicist is a Christian because none abide in Christ. Since none abide in Christ, how anyone can ever be saved becomes a logical question. Why can't people abide in Christ? Because everyone commits anti-social behavior, or what biblicists refer to as sin, and that excludes them summarily: "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him" (1 John 3:6), "No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God" (1 John 3:9 NIV), "We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin, the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one does not touch him" (1 John 5:18 NIV). Obviously, then, no one has ever been born of God since all biblicists continue to sin, regardless. Until someone can demonstrate sinless perfection, abiding in Christ remains illusory.

And to make matters even worse from the biblicist's perspective, James 2:10 NIV says, "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." Also note Matt. 5:19. Since every believer repeatedly stumbles on one point or another, all believers are equally immoral. In other words, while John alleges that any sin obviates any possibility of one abiding in Christ, James asserts everyone commits the most heinous of acts.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#28856 Feb 18, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Saul certainly was a piece of work, wasn't he!
Self loathing closet cases often are. The closet is death. Only when gays come out of the closet can they be truly free.

Tawas City, Michigan

#28857 Feb 18, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
I advocate everyone make their own decisions not just gay people. You and Comrade Sheepie are on the same side of the fence as is Anonymous. You all disgust me for insisting you know how other people should live their lives instead of letting other people alone to form their own peaceful unions and associations.
And in what imaginary anarchist country do you believe you are living?

Because that certainly doesn't describe the USA, or any other representative republic.

We are a nation of laws, passed by duly elected representatives of the people, guided by a constitution.

No one gets to make their own decisions in complete disregard of the law.

That's just not how our country works- nor any other country on the planet.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#28858 Feb 18, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
So you oppose the US Constitution which allows for the people to through their elected representatives to amend it.
What you propose is system of anarchy, not a constitutional republic.
Well if you bothered to write something down it has to be true because you are perfect and incapable of error.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#28859 Feb 18, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not worried about it.
Of course not, you got yours and screw everybody else. You Comrades, its just the way you are.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#28860 Feb 18, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That's anarchy, not a constitutional republic.
If you think I am going to google "What is the difference between anarchy and a constitutional republic" and paste it in here only to have you ask again in 3 days, you are nuts.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#28861 Feb 18, 2014
garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
So, now you're an expert authority on what straight black women think.
Is there anything you're not an expert authority on, Dusty?
Heavens no, I'm not an authority on any women at all.

However, Rose clearly said what she intended to say. It's a shame that you seem to have mustard her.

What makes you an authority on gay men and anal sex?

Tawas City, Michigan

#28862 Feb 18, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
Charlie Feather wrote: But who made you the final arbiter of morality? You are laying down the principle of no harm, but I see no more reason to accept your authority on the matter than anyone else. Why should one accept your authority?
<quoted text>
The only authority is your own. You own yourself. However if you do not respect the rights of others then the Constitution is an authority which authorizes the Government to deal with you. And you need dealt with Charlie.
Individual rights conflict all the time. EVERYTHING you do can impact the rights of other citizens, which is why we have laws in the first place. The government attempts to protect the majority of rights for the majority of people while having the least impact as possible on the rights of any one individual.

But as in any society, not everyone is going to be able to do exactly what they want 100% of the time, because by doing so will inevitably conflict with someone else's doing exactly what they want.

The Constitution provides for the Congress to pass laws. Those laws attempt to provide the greatest good for the greatest number of people while ensuring the greatest freedoms possible.

Tawas City, Michigan

#28863 Feb 18, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt Comrade Sheepie can tell you but I can. The possibility of human life existed from the first few seconds of what we call the Big Bang. Climate change is because of laws. Everything operates under laws including the stupidity and insanity of Christians.
The "big bang" is no more plausible than a magical sky-god creature creating everything.

Humans can never know how the universe was formed or if it even exists.

For all we know, we're inside some giant alien kid's snowglobe.

Tawas City, Michigan

#28864 Feb 18, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is the majority is irrelevant.
The majority is relevant because it take a majority to pass laws, change our constitution, elect representatives, rule on the constitutionality of laws, etc, etc.

Whether it's a majority of citizens, or a majority of elected representatives, or a majority of justices on the SCOTUS, the majority is most definitely relevant.

That's how our constitutional representative republic works.
1 post removed
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#28866 Feb 18, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think I am going to google "What is the difference between anarchy and a constitutional republic" and paste it in here only to have you ask again in 3 days, you are nuts.
LMAO!

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#28867 Feb 18, 2014
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
Heavens no, I'm not an authority on any women at all.
However, Rose clearly said what she intended to say. It's a shame that you seem to have mustard her.
What makes you an authority on gay men and anal sex?
Because I've read all the books out there on the topic-- something you, and Rose, have yet to get off your fat, lazy asses and do.
Poof

Madison, WI

#28868 Feb 18, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
Putz FUVM!

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#28869 Feb 18, 2014
Incidentally -- ten years after same-sex marriage in Massachusetts and the HIV rate has gone up -- dramatically!-- among gay males in the state.

Let's see your spin on that factoid.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#28870 Feb 18, 2014
garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I've read all the books out there on the topic-- something you, and Rose, have yet to get off your fat, lazy asses and do.
You've read every single book on the subject of gay men and anal sex?

LOL

Oh gary...you just don't see how tragic you are...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 17 min xxxrayted 441
News Poll: Hillary Clinton most admired woman 18 min Responsibility 845
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 21 min brad 180,171
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,223,647
News Boehner says recent fatal police encounters in ... 22 min Responsibility 11
News Bristol Palin to marry U.S. Medal of Honor winn... 28 min Bushido Brown 1,068
News Hillary Clinton: Elizabeth Warren is holding my... 29 min Le Jimbo 154
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 hr Quirky 326,056
News Rand Paul: Societal problems in Baltimore inclu... 4 hr serfs up 152
More from around the web