Tax hike for wealthy won't kill growt...

Tax hike for wealthy won't kill growth: CBO

There are 665 comments on the Reuters story from Nov 8, 2012, titled Tax hike for wealthy won't kill growth: CBO. In it, Reuters reports that:

A man with a local group of upper income professionals who call themselves ''Tax-Us'' holds a sign during a rally at City Hall in San Francisco, California April 17, 2012.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

wondering

United States

#315 Nov 13, 2012
spud wrote:
<quoted text>If they made a flat tax then everyone would have the same stake in the game. As far as the big increase in welfare goes, they could start to fix that by making sure that the highest amount you could collect on welfare is less than the lowest wage earner in the US. Nobody that works should make less than anyone on welfare. Unemployment payments should stop after 6 months also.
That's right, 15% across the board no matter if you make ten thousand or if you make ten million.It's the only way to be fair.
Some Random Dude

Santa Cruz, CA

#316 Nov 13, 2012
spud wrote:
<quoted text>If they made a flat tax then everyone would have the same stake in the game. As far as the big increase in welfare goes, they could start to fix that by making sure that the highest amount you could collect on welfare is less than the lowest wage earner in the US. Nobody that works should make less than anyone on welfare. Unemployment payments should stop after 6 months also.
I have to agree with your statement... about welfare especially. I currently make less than I did on unemployment and I find that at least a little bit appalling. I DO understand though that if someone was making a certain amount of money working, they have collected bills etc and they need a bare minimum just to survive, especially if they have a family. And they did pay into the system while they were working. However... allowing people to remain on welfare indefinitely whilst paying them more than someone makes for actually working doesn't make any sense. As far as the taxes go... In my heart of hearts, I support an across the board flat tax for everyone on ALL income (wages, investments, capital gains etc... EVERYTHING). If you do the math though, I'm sure the "upper social echelon" would disagree.

“I laugh at Robo Posters”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#317 Nov 13, 2012
conservative crapola wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but voters & the youth of your own party have now relegated you to the trash heap. You've been neutralized by your own.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha
You crank out more chit than Michele's arse.

“I laugh at Robo Posters”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#318 Nov 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Obama 332
Draft Dodger 206
You are ashamed to be an American, you f* p*, why are you still here?
You need someone to show you show you the way out, Kneepads?
Obama Considering John Kerry For Defense Secretary... The man that threw his supposed medals away, the man who put himself in for purple hearts and lied before congress about his fellow service men and women. He accused them of crimes as well as murder and torture..........and was found to be lying......yes a perfect Obama pick.
conservative crapola

Allentown, PA

#319 Nov 13, 2012
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
2x failed Presidential con-didate ponders his lunch choices.

hahahahahahahahahahaha
rocky

Toledo, OH

#320 Nov 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Obama 332
Draft Dodger 206
You are ashamed to be an American, you f* p*, why are you still here?
You need someone to show you show you the way out, Kneepads?
What branch of service did Obama serve? He probably never was even a Boy Scout!Also,I bet you probably supported that draft dodger Slick Willy. Hypocrite!
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#321 Nov 13, 2012
anneutral wrote:
<quoted text>and now 700k more people will qualify for Medicaid.
and taxes will go up, so those businesses will still end up paying for their coverage.
priceless huh?
and so will you. You will pay higher taxes to pay for those people. It will be much cheaper for the business to lay them off. But not for you. It's going to cost you big. And you knew this in advance. You knew. Obammy knew it
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#322 Nov 13, 2012
Some Random Dude wrote:
<quoted text>They also DECIDE (for the most part) what the market says a job is worth.
no they really don't. They will pay what they have to pay.
wondering

United States

#323 Nov 13, 2012
anneutral wrote:
<quoted text>
and now 700k more people will qualify for Medicaid.
and taxes will go up, so those businesses will still end up paying for their coverage.
priceless huh?
Yes ,more people will qualify for medicaid,and businesses will have to pay more taxes to cover it.Do you really think that those businessmen are going to alter their lifestyle to pay those taxes.No,they are going to raise the price of their goods to cover them.So you are going to pay every time you go to the grocery store with your food card,and get less groceries.It is called trickle down.
spud

Hancock, MD

#324 Nov 13, 2012
Some Random Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with your statement... about welfare especially. I currently make less than I did on unemployment and I find that at least a little bit appalling. I DO understand though that if someone was making a certain amount of money working, they have collected bills etc and they need a bare minimum just to survive, especially if they have a family. And they did pay into the system while they were working. However... allowing people to remain on welfare indefinitely whilst paying them more than someone makes for actually working doesn't make any sense. As far as the taxes go... In my heart of hearts, I support an across the board flat tax for everyone on ALL income (wages, investments, capital gains etc... EVERYTHING). If you do the math though, I'm sure the "upper social echelon" would disagree.
Everyone with a deduction will be bitching for sure. Nobody likes to give up their deductions. But all the current deductions, many of them bought by lobbiests, create an unfair system. No deductions, no exceptions. But even though this would make the tax system fairer, unless the idiots in charge balance the budget and start paying down our national debt, we will stay on this slow desent toward insolvency. It's crazy that these idiots can't see that what happened in Greece can easily happen here.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#325 Nov 13, 2012
anneutral wrote:
<quoted text>
let's look at an example:
Papa Johns says that instead of charging an extra $0.25 per pizza they are laying off full-time employees so that they don't have to offer them healthcare.
Papa Johns posts quarterly profits in the billions, and the owners (literally) live as if they are royalty.
I would put it to you that most people would be happy to pony up another quarter for a pizza if it meant that those people had decent health insurance.
but instead he'll lay off those employees, putting them on the unemployment line, and qualifying them for food stamp and medicaid.
WalMart is the same; more than 80% of Walmarts employees get foodstamps, and easily qualify for Medicaid.
but you condone this way of running a business?
that's the problem in this country, too many business owners put profit above people, and yes, it is shameful.
full time employees should be offered a healthplan, even a crappy one would be better than nothing.
I myself work a part-time job for minimum wage, thankfully we get our coverage through my husbands job, but some of the people that I work with are on Medicaid.
which means that the taxes I pay ends up paying for their healthcare?!?!?!
meanwhile, the district manager came in the other day and commented that I should get ready to pay higher taxes.
I thought to myself, "do you know what you pay me? it wont be me paying higher taxes".
It's his business, he can run it as he sees fit. It's called Giverment interferece, and he as a good business man knows it? It's not the government's place to tell us what we must buy. Quarterly profits in the billions?? You better re-read the profit and loss statement again? Anyway, you go out and start a business, work 16-20 hrs. a day and that includes weekends, bringing it along. Then after 5-6 yrs. it starts to make money, the Almighty Giverment comes along and changes the rules, every year, and you must comply. Now the Messiah in the White House, tells us we must purchase insurance or be fined. "Such a deal I gots for you".

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#326 Nov 13, 2012
Le Jimbo wrote:
Obama Considering John Kerry For Defense Secretary.
Who won the election again?

PS: His metals.

How many did Romney get?

Location hidden

#327 Nov 13, 2012
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
and so will you. You will pay higher taxes
why are you still here?

You are ashamed to be an American, get the hell out of our country, Kneepads.

Location hidden

#328 Nov 13, 2012
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
no they really don't.
why are you still here?

You said you are ashamed to be an American- get the hell out of our country, Kneepads.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#329 Nov 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who won the election again?
PS: His metals.
How many did Romney get?
How many did John F'n. Kerry Get?? Without lobbying for them?? Everybody knows what a 'lobbyist', John F'n Kerry is??
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#330 Nov 13, 2012
Obammy supporters explain this

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/16/news/economy/...

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#331 Nov 13, 2012
Chicopee wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all businesses are huge corporate entities that are publicly traded. In fact, most Americans are employed by small businesses.
Those employers are the ones who pay for healthcare insurance, which has an average cost of over $12,000 yearly per employee (family plan) and a little less for singles.
For a company that isn't making a really decent profit, the costs are huge. Just do the math. A company with 50 employees is going to have to come up with $600,000 and is limited in how much of that cost is passed on to the employee. No one wants to work in a company where it costs them $500 a month for insurance.
For a lot of small businesses, it's enough to put them under or cause them to cut their payrolls.
The name of the game is profit, not philanthropy. Many small businesses are owned by a single individual. If they can't operate at a profit, then what's the point? I mean, they have kids and mortgages, too. They're not all fatcats.
Beginning in 2014, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act requires businesses with the equivalent of 50 or more full-time employees to provide health insurance coverage for their workers. Businesses with fewer than 50 employees are exempt from this requirement, although employees may be required to purchase their own coverage.
been there

United States

#332 Nov 13, 2012
I am on medicare and I pay a total of over 6 hundred dollars a month for two of us.Anyone that is forced to buy health insurance can expect to pay through the nose.Now you may say it's because of health problem,but not so,we both are in good health.People on medicaid will be ok,and people that are getting health insurance through their company will be ok.Most others will be in trouble.Obamacare will be a lot worse than people think.

Location hidden

#333 Nov 13, 2012
McGruff wrote:
Obammy supporters explain this
Why are you still here, Kneepads?

You told us you were ashamed to be an American - get the hell out of our country.

Location hidden

#334 Nov 13, 2012
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>How many did John F'n. Kerry Get??
You enjoy cheese and whine with Romney when he was dodging the draft, cowering in France instead of serving, mooch?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Dogen 173,841
News McCain ready for 2016 re-election effort 6 min Responsibiility 4
How Should the US Government Respond to ISIS? (Sep '14) 11 min mjjcpa 4,170
News Obama paints doomsday scene of global warming i... 12 min IBdaMann 6
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 17 min -Stray Dog 47,831
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 20 min IBdaMann 54,549
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 20 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,277,192
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 38 min Independent patriot 341,263
News 'Anchor baby' fight scrambles Republican field 46 min Learn to Read 392
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 hr Limbertwig 193,975
More from around the web