GM cuts jobs in response to present c...

GM cuts jobs in response to present costs, future innovation

There are 54 comments on the WWLP story from Tuesday Nov 27, titled GM cuts jobs in response to present costs, future innovation. In it, WWLP reports that:

Even though unemployment is low, the economy is growing and U.S. auto sales are near historic highs, General Motors is cutting thousands of jobs in a major restructuring aimed at generating cash to spend on innovation. It's the new reality for automakers that are faced with the present cost of designing gas-powered cars and trucks that appeal to buyers now while at the same time preparing for a future world of electric and autonomous vehicles.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WWLP.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Watching The Snowflakes Rant”

Since: Feb 17

Location hidden

#1 Tuesday Nov 27
GM cuts jobs due to being top heavy, (poor management) and building vehicles no one wants or buys. Same as the 90's. Obama's bailout was just more wasted money and theft of royalties from share holders. Mismanagement is what has been wrong with GM for years.
Used to be a Democrat

Salem, MA

#2 Tuesday Nov 27
Over burdensome Union costs have made GM non competitive in the auto industry.
This is called free market at work.
Unions get greedy.....lose jobs. Really as simple as that.
Impeach the Creep

Madison, WI

#3 Tuesday Nov 27
CodeTalker wrote:
GM cuts jobs due to being top heavy,(poor management) and building vehicles no one wants or buys. Same as the 90's. Obama's bailout was just more wasted money and theft of royalties from share holders. Mismanagement is what has been wrong with GM for years.
Management will be just fine, and wealthy as ever, especially after cutting 18,000 US and Canadian jobs.(None in Mexico tho, lol)

Don’t forget the company reaped a massive tax break from last year’s GOP tax bill and failed to invest that money in American jobs, choosing to build its Blazer in Mexico instead.

Location hidden

#4 Tuesday Nov 27
Impeach the Creep wrote:
<quoted text>

Management will be just fine, and wealthy as ever, especially after cutting 18,000 US and Canadian jobs.(None in Mexico tho, lol)

Don’t forget the company reaped a massive tax break from last year’s GOP tax bill and failed to invest that money in American jobs, choosing to build its Blazer in Mexico instead.
The CEO of GM don't have to face the public, even thought they pay his salary through their loyalty.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#5 Tuesday Nov 27
Impeach the Creep wrote:
<quoted text>

Part of the problem of Mexican immigration,as far as it relates to Mexico at any rate,is because of the lack of good jobs there.Helping Mexican nationals improve their standard of living is not only humanitarian,it reduces Mexican immigration to America,saving us all money.Mexico is after all one of our most important trading partners.Are you a racist!!?!?
Union workers in America are fabulously well compensated.To the point of driving up the costs of it's products to the point of not being able to compete with other car companies.

Location hidden

#6 Tuesday Nov 27
CodeTalker wrote:
<quoted text>

The CEO of GM don't have to face the public, even thought they pay his salary through their loyalty.
The CEO of GM has to face a board of directors.Who can replace him/her if sales fall.Anyone who is worried about the CEO of GM not meeting their standards,can buy a Toyota.

Location hidden

#7 Tuesday Nov 27
Impeach the Creep wrote:
<quoted text>

You need to find some way to get more money.You seem to have a huge problem with people who have large sums of money.Write a couple of letters to Tom Steyer and George Soros,and tell them to give their money to the poor.

Location hidden

#8 Tuesday Nov 27
Used to be a Democrat wrote:
Over burdensome Union costs have made GM non competitive in the auto industry.
This is called free market at work.
Unions get greedy.....lose jobs. Really as simple as that.
Perhaps Impeach the Creep should have a conversation with Obama,about why Obama left office with so much more money,than he came in with....
whiney beech

Bloomingdale, IN

#9 Tuesday Nov 27
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Perhaps Impeach the Creep should have a conversation with Obama,about why Obama left office with so much more money,than he came in with....
Obama will share with the American poor, right?
1 post removed
Hilton Head

Orange City, FL

#11 Tuesday Nov 27
whiney beech wrote:
<quoted text>

Nah, only with Iran.

Location hidden

#12 Tuesday Nov 27
whiney beech wrote:
<quoted text>

As soon as Hades freezes over.
1 post removed

Location hidden

#14 Tuesday Nov 27
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> The CEO of GM has to face a board of directors.Who can replace him/her if sales fall.Anyone who is worried about the CEO of GM not meeting their standards,can buy a Toyota.
i DID. I prefer a car/truck that works.
1 post removed
Jan2018

El Paso, TX

#16 Tuesday Nov 27
Waco99.... Obama hated America and only cared for himself. Did he ever give up his salary? Hell no. His mother in law even got paid. He was one worthless pos. Wasted more money than any President.
1 post removed
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#18 Tuesday Nov 27
CodeTalker wrote:
GM cuts jobs due to being top heavy,(poor management) and building vehicles no one wants or buys. Same as the 90's. Obama's bailout was just more wasted money and theft of royalties from share holders. Mismanagement is what has been wrong with GM for years.
LOL ... our Village Idiot is turning economist, go back under your rock, moron!

Location hidden

#19 Tuesday Nov 27
CodeTalker wrote:
<quoted text>i DID. I prefer a car/truck that works.
My Ford has 387,000 miles.Guess I'll keep it.

Location hidden

#20 Tuesday Nov 27
Jan2018 wrote:
Waco99.... Obama hated America and only cared for himself. Did he ever give up his salary? Hell no. His mother in law even got paid. He was one worthless pos. Wasted more money than any President.
Are you posting to me??
1 post removed
General Kabaka Oba

Fort Wayne, IN

#22 Tuesday Nov 27
President Donald Trump ripped General Motors CEO Mary Barra for closing car plants in Ohio, Michigan, and Maryland, threatening their government subsidies.

“Nothing being closed in Mexico & China,” Trump wrote on Twitter.“The U.S. saved General Motors, and this is the THANKS we get!”

When did we ever have a president who said anything like that ? telling the truth about how the middle class blue collar worker has been taking it up the rear by big business and democrat and RINO politians setting back and lying about it.

Where's all the democrat politians who supposedly are there for the blue collar worker?
Not one peep and remember who signed NAFTA, a democrat president , William Jefferson Clinton and braindead democrat voters came close to putting Hillary in as president when she was for more bad trade deals (TPP)
5 posts removed
onemale

Valdosta, GA

#28 Tuesday Nov 27
The solution is quite simple... BOYCOTT GM
whiney beech

Bloomingdale, IN

#29 Tuesday Nov 27
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> The CEO of GM has to face a board of directors.Who can replace him/her if sales fall.Anyone who is worried about the CEO of GM not meeting their standards,can buy a Toyota.
After retirement I was going to buy a retirement truck. I was looking at Dodge, built to my specs. The Dodge dealership I had dealt with for 30 years, had gone dishonest, and untrustworthy in the repair field, so I was working with another dealership. They suddenly closed for business over something to do with borrowing money on vehicles that had already been sold.

I bought Toyota, 8 model years old, bought new, no problems. We replaced another Dodge with a Toyota after seeing how cheaply, in my opinion new Dodges were made.

I have not had a Chevy since 1992, and it was in for axle leaks, constantly. Would not have another Chevy. My last Ford was a Pinto, so that put me off of Ford for life.
1 post removed
DR X

Wyoming, MI

#31 Tuesday Nov 27
Didn't we ( the US taxpayer) bail out GM not too long ago?

Sounds like some executives at GM need to be replaced.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min RoxLo 1,875,587
News Giuliani: 'Over my dead body' will Mueller inte... 9 min Annie Oakly 84
News After judge's ruling against 'Obamacare,' what ... 9 min Say What 8
News Trump threatens gov't shutdown in heated meetin... 12 min DR X 202
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 13 min Build the wall 367,226
News Comey says House Republicans are 'shameful' aft... 15 min Say What 10
News Senate Votes to Advance Criminal Justice Overha... 17 min Annie Oakly 5
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 hr Swamp is full 121,825
News Donald Trump says US military to build border w... 1 hr WasteWater 351