Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 31992 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#29626 Nov 21, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>So what you're saying is you don't know why you were suppose to discriminate, you just know you were suppose to. And believing people wonder why some have a problem with mono-theism?
Exactly.:)
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29627 Nov 21, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
The Mormons were being persecuted, killed, raped, having to move from state to state just to survive. Don't you understand that God knew that if he allowed Blacks to have the Priesthood at that time it would stir up even more controversy.
They could not give slaves the Priesthood. Are you crazy. That time was full of undignified people persecuting slaves and Mormons.
You need to reanalyze your perspective and think about the consequences if they would have went against the people during that time. Don't you think God knew what and when to do things?
You also need to ask yourself if some of those Black people were the ones driven away and smitten to the ends of the earth. Hated and despised, put into slavery. And more specifically they would be called all kinds of names but not Children of God or of Israel. These were prophecies many times in the Bible that it would be worse for those who are the lost children of Israel than everyone else combined.
I just can't seem to get past this post, there is so much that needs to be clarified. Because the Mormons were being persecuted they couldn't allow a black man the priesthood? That makes no sense. We know Joseph Smith apparently did give some black men the priesthood. And regarding the "timeline" of slavery and the founding of this country, well that doesn't seem to make sense either. Slavery was brought here right along with the invading Christians, and was always a matter of turmoil among the white founders. And since slavery was officially outlawed within a generation of the founding of the church and it still took over a hundred years before a revelation came to allow the priesthood to a black man, I don't see how it's suppose to all fit your timeline.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29628 Nov 21, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>The victors write the history, that doesn't mean it's accurate. All this time it sure seemed like you were defending Mormonism. Who knew...you learn something new everyday.
That's the great thing about Mormon history. A major portion of it comes from non-Mormon and ex-Mormon sources and much of the info matches what was recorded by Mormons.

Location hidden

#29629 Nov 21, 2013
Really??? The first amendment protects bishops from reporting sex abuse??? What a bunch of sick fcuks.

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#29630 Nov 21, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>I just can't seem to get past this post, there is so much that needs to be clarified. Because the Mormons were being persecuted they couldn't allow a black man the priesthood? That makes no sense. We know Joseph Smith apparently did give some black men the priesthood. And regarding the "timeline" of slavery and the founding of this country, well that doesn't seem to make sense either. Slavery was brought here right along with the invading Christians, and was always a matter of turmoil among the white founders. And since slavery was officially outlawed within a generation of the founding of the church and it still took over a hundred years before a revelation came to allow the priesthood to a black man, I don't see how it's suppose to all fit your timeline.
Excellent question. Especially when it was LDS leaders preaching it was because they had the curse of the devil.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29631 Nov 21, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>If you see an entire race as cursed, vile, murderous, unworthy and corrupt then yes that's racist. What difference does it make what you "allow" them to do?
If a person views an entire race as cursed, vile, murderous, unworthy, corrupt, slow of mind from the definition of being an actual racist, but said described racist allows people of that described hated race to live by them, to shop at the same stores, to use the same public out houses, to own their own land, home, cattle and horses, to allow them into their own church to baptize them as members, to help them with their crops etc, I still see a problem with calling said person a racist.
An actual racist isn't accepting of races their against for any reason. That's what a racist is. To be unaccepting of other races in any matter.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29632 Nov 21, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you where to look. Stop sniffing glue and figure it out.
You made assumptions without thinking. You thus made an ass of yourself and made statements that weren't true you tried to defend as true which weren't and now you're to much of a bull*hitter to admit you're wrong. Par for course, continue your lies please and bore me some more.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29633 Nov 21, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>So what you're saying is you don't know why you were suppose to discriminate, you just know you were suppose to. And believing people wonder why some have a problem with mono-theism?
Yes. You don't know why you were suppose to discriminate. Your people were doing it and you like a lamb followed suit and discriminated as your people did it. Any other questions?

Location hidden

#29634 Nov 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>You made assumptions without thinking. You thus made an ass of yourself and made statements that weren't true you tried to defend as true which weren't and now you're to much of a bull*hitter to admit you're wrong. Par for course, continue your lies please and bore me some more.
The guys ward had temple day. He offed himself in front of them. If you can't find it, that's your problem. I'm not digging for you. Do it yourself.

Location hidden

#29635 Nov 21, 2013
Using the first amendment as an excuse to not report sex abuse is completely UN-CHRISTIAN.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#29636 Nov 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
As suicide is a very major sin in Mormonism, doing it and getting closer to God would be a contradiction of major proportions. The actions speak for themselves. He didn't do it out of love for his faith.
I am not going to debate this subject with you.

You are a complete idiot. DONE!

Now go fetch another topic to bring in here to debate that is not related to Are Mormons Christians.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29637 Nov 21, 2013
Bare with me here Surprise, my posts keep getting lost.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29638 Nov 21, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>For the life of me, I can't figure this out on my own. Would you explain it to me?
I already have.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29639 Nov 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. You don't know why you were suppose to discriminate. Your people were doing it and you like a lamb followed suit and discriminated as your people did it. Any other questions?
I know of no doctrine of "my people" that states one race is cursed or one race is more civilized, pure or delightsome. How far back do you want to go? Who were "my people" discriminating against?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29640 Nov 21, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>I just can't seem to get past this post, there is so much that needs to be clarified. Because the Mormons were being persecuted they couldn't allow a black man the priesthood? That makes no sense. We know Joseph Smith apparently did give some black men the priesthood. And regarding the "timeline" of slavery and the founding of this country, well that doesn't seem to make sense either. Slavery was brought here right along with the invading Christians, and was always a matter of turmoil among the white founders. And since slavery was officially outlawed within a generation of the founding of the church and it still took over a hundred years before a revelation came to allow the priesthood to a black man, I don't see how it's suppose to all fit your timeline.
I'll give this a go though I could be messing up mouse's train of thought in this.
According to later Mormon thought on this I have read a bit of, the church had to suffer persecution to be established. If blacks in the early history of the church were given equal and fair membership during the time of slavery in slave states the members would have been seen as abolitionists and hung and shot and the church would have died out. Smith and all the leaders would have been sought out by slave owners and killed for treating slaves as equals and free men in slave states. Smith's views on slavery got him into trouble in non-slave states. Follow the line of thinking there?
The time for recognition of blacks having fair and equal treatment in the church could never have been done during the slave years and the church survive it's open abolitionist policies in slave states. There would be no Mormon church as we know it. That's my view of what she was saying.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29641 Nov 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to help me out just a wee bit okay? Judging what post and explain what?
That is what I was wondering... and why about me?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29642 Nov 21, 2013
pearl wrote:
Bare with me here Surprise, my posts keep getting lost.
I really hate that...lol. I'll have a post going with links and such and the page crashes...quite irritating.

Location hidden

#29643 Nov 21, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>That is what I was wondering... and why about me?
Bless your heart

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#29644 Nov 21, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>I know of no doctrine of "my people" that states one race is cursed or one race is more civilized, pure or delightsome. How far back do you want to go? Who were "my people" discriminating against?
lol...I have no idea who 'your people' were discriminating against. You wrote the following of me...
"So what you're saying is you don't know why you were suppose to discriminate, you just know you were suppose to..."
...as in I was discriminating and I didn't know why I was discriminating. I never did any discriminating. So I threw it back at you as you wrote it to me to see how you liked it :) You apparently didn't like it?
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29645 Nov 22, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The question isn't simple if you read the history of the matter. So I can't give a 'simple' answer.
The story of Cain being cursed with a dark skin isn't founded in racism. Their is no evidence for that theory. You won't find any and neither has anyone else. Discrimination wasn't based on race. Discrimination was based on the weak becoming servitude to the strong. The strongest owned slaves from many races and ethnic back grounds and colors.
Two thousand years ago Egypt was as modern of a place as you would find in all of Africa. The rest of Africa was viewed by Spanish and Jews and Egyptians and Romans and Greeks etc as nomadic and barbarian and wild people dressed half naked most of the time.
When Christian theists began to examine the curse of Cain story, following the lineages of Ham and his descendants and noting where their various countries were, it's obvious they connected the then living dark skinned descendants as being the same color as Ham and Cain with the same tight curly hair and flared nostrils etc. Thus was born the Christian concept(established by Jews much earlier)that Cain's descendants were the black Africans. And the theory snowballed for over a thousand years. But the theory was never based on racism, understand? It was based on the story of a curse that was connected to the lineage and geography of Ham's descendants in the Torah story.
So now I can say no, the discrimination wasn't originally based on race though that became an issue later.
The thing is, your story of Cain and my story of Cain are two different stories. And the story of Cain is based in racism. The evidence is...you claim a whole race was cursed. Sometime I will tell you the real message in the story of Cain and Abel.
Also, if you think Egypt was modern two thousand years ago, you might know it was even more trick ten thousand years ago. How far back does your history book go? Mine goes back tens of thousands of years. Perhaps the Romans and Greeks saw the rest of Africa as nomadic because it was?
The "Christian Theists" that examined the curse of Cain story, came to the wrong conclusions, I'm sure you've heard others have come to the conclusion that the curse of Cain was that he was white?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 min Limbertwig 223,079
News For Trump, victory, naturally, leads to a swirl... 2 min Le Jimbo 6
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Homer the Indepen... 1,375,560
News Violence follows California Trump rally, about ... 4 min barefoot2626 571
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min Denny CranesPlace 381,709
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 min zef 311,031
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Rogue Scholar 05 213,267
News North Carolina's rush to bigotry 20 min Jonah1 2,918
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 47 min barefoot2626 643
More from around the web