Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32098 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#29468 Nov 18, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>He went to West Valley {Utah} to catch some herpes, seemed pretty eager. Guess we all grieve differently.
I suppose so. I don't think getting herpes would be my preferred way of coping but it's not me going to catch them.

I wanted to tell you in your posts lately you do not sound like you have a learning disability... that is just non-sense. Just be yourself and be nice.:)

At least be nice to me. lol... jk you seem like a person that can stand up for herself and I respect that. I don't know what your beliefs are but as I said I believe people are free to worship and believe as they want.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29469 Nov 18, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a little cocky aren't you.
A little cock more likely.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#29470 Nov 18, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>The poor thing is trying to get laid. Should we let him find out about the local gonorrhea outbreak on his own? Could be a real turn on for somebody.
I don't think he has to worry about any gonorrhea outbreak because there isn't any woman, LDS or not, that is deaf, dumb, and blind enough to have sex with him. Even BYU girls prefer humans. Palmela Handerson is the only woman he has ever had.

Just what we need, another assclown.

Marysville, CA

#29471 Nov 18, 2013
DaddyDoesABodyGood wrote:
<quoted text>
I see no reason to watch any videos made by people who are just doing as I said, trying to justify their own failed faith.
I actually live the one Mormon teaching I actually believe in, "let them worship how, where, or what they may."
If I am being totally open, I have to say, I know there is something more than what we see.( I actually do ghost investigation for a TV show and I have seen things that would turn a black man white) So, does "God" exist? Maybe. Do I care? Not really. I just chose to no longer believe that the invisible man in the sky will reward me for being good and punish me for being bad. I want to believe in Karma, but I am proof people don't always get paid back for the evil they do. So, as I said, if it comforts you to believe that the invisible man who reads your thoughts wants to save you from cancer, well, if that's comforting, cool.
No one can say "I know the church is true", all you can say is "I BELIEVE the church is true", otherwise you are lying. Absolute knowledge would eliminate faith. You don't have to have faith that your car is real, you can see it sitting in your driveway, but once you go inside your house, then you only have faith your car still there, because then you have no absolute knowledge. We know Joe Smith existed, but did he talk to God? Well, I used to believe I talked to God and he listened, but I also know that is a classic symptom of manic-depression, which runs in my family. So now, I have doubt that I ever talked to anything but the wind, but I am also now at peace with that.
So, for me, I do not hate anyone for what they believe, only for what they do. Also, if I were to believe the bible, there are two unforgivable sins,,,, and I have committed both. So I am damned regardless.
Right now I date a woman who is a Wiccan priestess. She believes it as powerfully as I have seen Mormons believe in their faith. The house we live in is haunted by something supernatural, and once after an investigation, some dark negative force followed us home. In my days of faith, I would have called the priesthood to bless my house, but my GF burned sage, chanted an incantation and had another wiccan come cleanse the house, and the dark entity left. So, is what she believes wrong? Will she go to hell for worshiping the power of the physical forces? Christians would say "YES".
I have seen in my investigations what seemed to be interaction with a "trapped spirit" who would have been at a very isolated desert cemetery since 1903. If that is true, and our spirits can become trapped, then there is nothing to hope for and death will be endless misery. I hope that I am wrong, but I don't KNOW I am wrong. NO ONE DOES!
As for myself, I hope there is a heaven, because people I have loved deserve to be there. But for myself, I believe like Socrates once said, only two things are possible after death, it will be like a long unending sleep where you don't dream, or we will go to where everyone is who has gone before. Either way, no one really knows, we all just have faith as to what is there.
So, believing in God isn't logical, but believing in Ghosts is? Oh, we have a mental midget here, people.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29472 Nov 18, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the newest pope has probably made more indirect and direct changes in the workings of the RCC than has been made in the last several centuries or more.
On the other hand, I know of two major doctrine changes made in the LDS church in the last century. The first being the end of polygamy and the second the acceptance of black males to the priesthood. Other wise they still teach against everything else they were against in the early church.
Personally in my own reflection of the matter and watching how modern Christianity has become an accepting whore of it's own self compared to what it once was, so Puritan like, I think concerning modern Christianity Mormons will become the most hated because of it's slowness to change with it. Mormonism is a reflection of what Christianity use to be and modern Christians absolutely hate that reflection that no sin was a good sin as they believe the very opposite now, that certain sins aren't sins at all.
Since I'm not a practicing Catholic, and you like to flaunt your knowledge of these things, tell me what official changes has Pope Francis made to the Catholic doctrine? Birth control? Divorce? Atheist can be forgiven?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29473 Nov 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think he has to worry about any gonorrhea outbreak because there isn't any woman, LDS or not, that is deaf, dumb, and blind enough to have sex with him. Even BYU girls prefer humans. Palmela Handerson is the only woman he has ever had.
that is one of the smartest things i think you have said

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29474 Nov 18, 2013
sorry I posted twice...
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29475 Nov 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. The guy was like a train wreck that one couldn't walk away from.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29476 Nov 18, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>A little cock more likely.
He sounds like a sex addict. That is probably the reason he left the Church.

Marysville, CA

#29477 Nov 18, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>You sure use a lot of words without saying much.
I still think he's a Mormon assclown pretending to be an Ex. Men who really are just trying to get laid don't do so by talking about women the way he does. That is just common sense.

Marysville, CA

#29478 Nov 18, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Dana's comment wasn't in reference to the post you are trying to explain. It was in reference to the "six out of ten of these suicides were committed by male members of the LDS church" I don't mind helping you follow along, but you really might not want to be so cocky about it, it's kinda like biting the hand that feeds you.
As far as the post you are referring to, your first sentence was, Non-Mormons and non-active Mormons are one in the same. Now you know I'm a novice but, shouldn't a sentence be able to stand on it's own? If you write a sentence and then feel the need to explain it, perhaps you didn't phrase it properly. And of course we all know you and I are not one in the same, so why say it?
Thank you. But isn't this one of his major problems? His inability to read and comprehend? Then he'll go on for half a page talking about how "fricking" stupid they are.

This is the first case of the LDS church leaving him, but he can't leave the LDS church alone, I've seen.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29479 Nov 18, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose so. I don't think getting herpes would be my preferred way of coping but it's not me going to catch them.
I wanted to tell you in your posts lately you do not sound like you have a learning disability... that is just non-sense. Just be yourself and be nice.:)
At least be nice to me. lol... jk you seem like a person that can stand up for herself and I respect that. I don't know what your beliefs are but as I said I believe people are free to worship and believe as they want.
I don't have a learning disability, where did that come from? You've brought up my beliefs at least a couple of times now, so if you really want to know....I have no belief in the Christian concept of God. And i find the Mormon concept to be especially offensive. That's me being nice as I can put it.

Marysville, CA

#29480 Nov 18, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...me too bright???...lol....you and him didn't like the fact the LDS church allowed black males to hold the priesthood and you both were/still are racists and disillusioned with the LDS church over that issue...what did I miss in that commonality between you and him? Hmm? lol.
Again you demonstrate you inability to comprehend. It was my LDS Bishop Dad that had trouble with blacks getting the Priesthood, not me.

Let me state, and try real hard to keep up with me, I don't care who holds the phony Priesthood in the LDS church. It could be blacks, gays, women, or even black gay women, I just don't care. Try to keep up.

Marysville, CA

#29481 Nov 18, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed. The guy was like a train wreck that one couldn't walk away from.
When you can't get laid, all you have left is trying to get attention. He's about as bright as No Surprise.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29482 Nov 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I still think he's a Mormon assclown pretending to be an Ex. Men who really are just trying to get laid don't do so by talking about women the way he does. That is just common sense.
Well unless they are really into the skanky thing.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29483 Nov 18, 2013
DaddyDoesABodyGood wrote:
<quoted text>
I see no reason to watch any videos made by people who are just doing as I said, trying to justify their own failed faith.
I actually live the one Mormon teaching I actually believe in, "let them worship how, where, or what they may."
If I am being totally open, I have to say, I know there is something more than what we see.( I actually do ghost investigation for a TV show and I have seen things that would turn a black man white) So, does "God" exist? Maybe. Do I care? Not really. I just chose to no longer believe that the invisible man in the sky will reward me for being good and punish me for being bad. I want to believe in Karma, but I am proof people don't always get paid back for the evil they do. So, as I said, if it comforts you to believe that the invisible man who reads your thoughts wants to save you from cancer, well, if that's comforting, cool.
No one can say "I know the church is true", all you can say is "I BELIEVE the church is true", otherwise you are lying. Absolute knowledge would eliminate faith. You don't have to have faith that your car is real, you can see it sitting in your driveway, but once you go inside your house, then you only have faith your car still there, because then you have no absolute knowledge. We know Joe Smith existed, but did he talk to God? Well, I used to believe I talked to God and he listened, but I also know that is a classic symptom of manic-depression, which runs in my family. So now, I have doubt that I ever talked to anything but the wind, but I am also now at peace with that.
So, for me, I do not hate anyone for what they believe, only for what they do. Also, if I were to believe the bible, there are two unforgivable sins,,,, and I have committed both. So I am damned regardless.
Right now I date a woman who is a Wiccan priestess. She believes it as powerfully as I have seen Mormons believe in their faith. The house we live in is haunted by something supernatural, and once after an investigation, some dark negative force followed us home. In my days of faith, I would have called the priesthood to bless my house, but my GF burned sage, chanted an incantation and had another wiccan come cleanse the house, and the dark entity left. So, is what she believes wrong? Will she go to hell for worshiping the power of the physical forces? Christians would say "YES".
I have seen in my investigations what seemed to be interaction with a "trapped spirit" who would have been at a very isolated desert cemetery since 1903. If that is true, and our spirits can become trapped, then there is nothing to hope for and death will be endless misery. I hope that I am wrong, but I don't KNOW I am wrong. NO ONE DOES!
As for myself, I hope there is a heaven, because people I have loved deserve to be there. But for myself, I believe like Socrates once said, only two things are possible after death, it will be like a long unending sleep where you don't dream, or we will go to where everyone is who has gone before. Either way, no one really knows, we all just have faith as to what is there.
Dude I am alive. I will have cancer for the rest of my life... that is really none of your business. I was just explaining to you that I know what i believe in and I believe with all my heart is it true. I don't expect God to save me or anything like that. I live as righteously as I possibly can.

I was also telling you that it's very offensive the way you come in here talking about Mormon girls... or any girl for that matter.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29484 Nov 18, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. But isn't this one of his major problems? His inability to read and comprehend? Then he'll go on for half a page talking about how "fricking" stupid they are.
This is the first case of the LDS church leaving him, but he can't leave the LDS church alone, I've seen.
No Dana, he goes on for a half a page talking about how stupid YOU are, regardless of who he is talking with. He probably has dreams about you and mutters your name to himself all day long.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#29485 Nov 18, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a learning disability, where did that come from? You've brought up my beliefs at least a couple of times now, so if you really want to know....I have no belief in the Christian concept of God. And i find the Mormon concept to be especially offensive. That's me being nice as I can put it.

Daddy was saying you did. But I don't think you do.

I can understand you coming from the Hopi-Navajo tribe/community why you don't believe in God. That is not offensive to me at all.

Like I said as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else then believe in what you want.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#29486 Nov 18, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, I understand. Do you understand that you wrote, "Um, there's no difference between a non-Mormon and a non-active Mormon"?
But, since you brought it up again, and claim "most others and myself don't count "inactive Mormons as "real" Mormons" does that mean the church doesn't acknowledge them as Mormons either? Or are they on the "roll call" as you call it? Are they included in the number of Mormons worldwide when the church claims how many members they have? Have you ever been to this state?
Do you understand you took the above out of context? The original statement I was making a point about was.. "Umm, there's no difference between a non-Mormon and a non-active Mormon. They are essentially one and the same for habits/addictions etc except one has their name on the LDS records."
I than continued to explain my first sentence... "So your correlation is lacking because it's quite obvious active Mormons are the true minority in Utah with non-Mormon and non-active Mormon being the majority. So all of the above would logically pertain to non-Mormons and non-active Mormons."
I finished my explanation with... " Very few true blue active Mormons since they're the small, tiny minority in Utah would be found in those statistics. Understand?"

The church understands better than you or I or most others I would wager. But the understanding is simplistic for anyone observant of Mormon Sunday worship and who attends and who doesn't.
I noted the following.
Those called TBM's. True Blue Mormons. Those with temple recommends and accept 99.99% of all callings, duties etc. They are the minority and the full tithe payers in this church.
Next, NSTBM. Not So True Blue Mormons. These are they who usually aren't temple worthy but accept callings from time to time and usually attend sacrament but will often skip Sunday school and or priesthood/relief society meetings to get out of church. These are they that will pay a tithing when they feel up to it.
Next come the non-active. The terminology defines them. The church's doctrines in most cases doesn't guide what they do or won't do. They will do one or more of the following as most non-members which is to varying degrees, drinking, smoking, taking/doing drugs, being sexually active outside of being married, financially in debt and live one day at a time.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#29487 Nov 18, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Once again, does the church recognize non-active Mormons as Mormons? If six in ten suicides were male members of the LDS, active or not, then four of ten had no affiliation with the church at all. Understand? More Mormon men than those not affiliated with the church were committing suicide. Why can't you acknowledge that?
Does the church recognize non-active as members? In the general definition of the word of course. You know that. As being active participants in the religious practices, no. That's why their called 'inactive'.
Of the six Mormons out of ten, the professor stated the higher percent of those six Mormons, four or five, were less active and inactive Mormons. That means of the six Mormons, the one or two that didn't take their life were active Mormons. That meant to the professor that of the ten making up non-members, non-active members and less active members and active members, the non-members, non-active members and less active members were eight to nine times more likely to take their life than an active member.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump promises Alabama Sen. Strange will 'drain... 2 min Trumpy the Tiger 3
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Okay 1,656,927
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min Sasyjm 322,072
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 5 min smh 106
News New Mexico school shooting leaves 2 students, s... 7 min javawhey 78
News Ricin Fast Facts 7 min Eat This 3
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 11 min Mr Wiggley 46,172
News Many Christian conservatives are backing Alabam... 16 min RM Lympstone 1,266
News Obama: Protect democracy or risk taking path of... 1 hr spud 218
More from around the web