Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32098 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Since: Sep 12

Ozark, MO

#29118 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>That what I thought.
Yeah, that'd be pretty funny if they kicked out a non-LDS student who converted to Mormonism. "Well, they were expelled because they converted to the Mormon faith in direct violation of our honor code." Geez! Grow up.
1 post removed
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29120 Nov 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of pathetic morons. You want me to hold people to the standards of being Christian who YOU CLAIM AND STATE AREN'T CHRISTIANS.
Let me state that again so you can slowly digest the information you are stating I do.
You want me to hold people to the standards of being Christian who YOU CLAIM AND STATE AREN'T CHRISTIANS.
But you're incensed and pissed off that I hold you to the standards of being a Christian because you claim that is what you are that others here aren't? How much of a fricking moron can you be????????
You're contradicting yourself.

Ozark, MO

#29121 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, you enjoy watching people trip over themselves, it's way more fun than warning them about the obstacle, right?
Wow! I'm impressed. You actually do care about Surprise and how he appears here. Hahahahahahaha!!!! Yeah, right... Hahahahahaha!!!

Ozark, MO

#29122 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, you enjoy watching people trip over themselves, it's way more fun than warning them about the obstacle, right?
Hey, hey... Do you care about me too?

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#29123 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
And you think the rules are fair? A non Lds student can convert and remain a student and Lds students can't.
You don't get this. Two types enroll at BYU campuses. Mormon and non-Mormon. Atheists aren't a religion. Atheists need not apply. They will be rejected.
So get this. Understand this. If you enroll as a Muslim and switch to being a JW or Jewish Orthodox etc, you can do that. But if you enroll as a Mormon in good standing meaning you're active in the church and you attend church(to whatever degree of activity is acceptable by a bishop)you are expected to remain a Mormon while attending because as a Mormon you get different financial aid, etc. Those are the perks of being a Mormon at a BYU school. Break that rule that got you in and you get the boot. Simple concept.
If one is a Mormon on the fence, their are other colleges to go to like Utah state etc. It is not wise for a doubting Mormon to go to BYU. If they do it's on them. They were explained the rules well ahead of time.
See, BYU was instituted to attract Mormons to that school. They figured out a way to accept non-Mormons, but the school was set up purposefully by the church for active church members. Try to understand that.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29124 Nov 10, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! I'm impressed. You actually do care about Surprise and how he appears here. Hahahahahahaha!!!! Yeah, right... Hahahahahaha!!!
Aren't we all a little worried about him?

Location hidden

#29125 Nov 10, 2013
<quoted text>Hey, hey... Do you care about me too?
You aren't doing yourself any favors...
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29126 Nov 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Hey, hey... Do you care about me too?
Don't fret Crazy your reputation is intact.

Ozark, MO

#29127 Nov 10, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Aren't we all a little worried about him?
Apparently it seems that way. How altruistic of you all.
Curtis Penfold

Salt Lake City, UT

#29128 Nov 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't get this. Two types enroll at BYU campuses. Mormon and non-Mormon. Atheists aren't a religion. Atheists need not apply. They will be rejected.
So get this. Understand this. If you enroll as a Muslim and switch to being a JW or Jewish Orthodox etc, you can do that. But if you enroll as a Mormon in good standing meaning you're active in the church and you attend church(to whatever degree of activity is acceptable by a bishop)you are expected to remain a Mormon while attending because as a Mormon you get different financial aid, etc. Those are the perks of being a Mormon at a BYU school. Break that rule that got you in and you get the boot. Simple concept.
If one is a Mormon on the fence, their are other colleges to go to like Utah state etc. It is not wise for a doubting Mormon to go to BYU. If they do it's on them. They were explained the rules well ahead of time.
See, BYU was instituted to attract Mormons to that school. They figured out a way to accept non-Mormons, but the school was set up purposefully by the church for active church members. Try to understand that.
That's not true. The president of SHARE, BYU's interfaith club, is an open atheist who came to BYU as a Greek Orthodox. BYU identifies him as a "secular humanist." He's not the only atheist who's on the record at BYU as an atheist. But since he was never Mormon, that's alright. He falls under the jurisdiction of the BYU chaplain.

I wanted to stay at BYU. Why is it that I can't just pay the non-Mormon tuition? Why is it a rule that if I leave the LDS Church, I'm booted from the University (and thus my work and my housing)?

I didn't know that I'd get kicked out if I left the LDS Church.(Most BYU students aren't aware of that policy anyway). But to be honest, when I joined, I was a firm member of the LDS Church. I would give out copies of the Book of Mormon in my high school. I didn't think I was going to be leaving the LDS Church when I first applied for BYU at the age of seventeen.

If BYU can accept non-Mormons, why can't it keep ex-Mormons?

Ozark, MO

#29129 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>You aren't doing yourself any favors...
You didn't answer my question, NoHo. Do you care about me too???

Ozark, MO

#29130 Nov 10, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Don't fret Crazy your reputation is intact.
Nice...
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29131 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't doing yourself any favors...
I've been looking for an answer to your question, "would you want to know if the church is false." Guess that's not gonna happen. Bummer. Good question though.

Location hidden

#29132 Nov 10, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>You don't get this. Two types enroll at BYU campuses. Mormon and non-Mormon. Atheists aren't a religion. Atheists need not apply. They will be rejected.
So, BYU can be bigoted, racist, homophobic, misogynistic..whatever else they decide to hate and it's ok because they are private..got it..and this is a perfect reflection of your religion?

Ozark, MO

#29133 Nov 10, 2013
I'm so ronery, so ronery
So ronery and sadry arone
There's no one, just me onry
Sitting on my rittle throne
I work very hard
And make up great prans
But nobody listens no one understands
Seems like no one takes me seriousry

And so, I'm ronery
A bittle ronery
Poor rittle me

There's nobody I can rerate to
Feel rike a bird in a cage
It's kinda sirry but not rearry
Because it's firring my body with rage
I'm the smartest most crever most physically fit
But nobody else seems to rearize it
When I change the world maybe they'll notice me

And until then I'll just be ronery
Yeah a rittle ronery
Poor rittle me

I'm so ronery

Location hidden

#29134 Nov 10, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>I've been looking for an answer to your question, "would you want to know if the church is false." Guess that's not gonna happen. Bummer. Good question though.
Probably not..isn't that odd? Wouldn't you want to know if you had been lied to, even your whole life?
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29135 Nov 10, 2013
Curtis Penfold wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true. The president of SHARE, BYU's interfaith club, is an open atheist who came to BYU as a Greek Orthodox. BYU identifies him as a "secular humanist." He's not the only atheist who's on the record at BYU as an atheist. But since he was never Mormon, that's alright. He falls under the jurisdiction of the BYU chaplain.
I wanted to stay at BYU. Why is it that I can't just pay the non-Mormon tuition? Why is it a rule that if I leave the LDS Church, I'm booted from the University (and thus my work and my housing)?
I didn't know that I'd get kicked out if I left the LDS Church.(Most BYU students aren't aware of that policy anyway). But to be honest, when I joined, I was a firm member of the LDS Church. I would give out copies of the Book of Mormon in my high school. I didn't think I was going to be leaving the LDS Church when I first applied for BYU at the age of seventeen.
Well kiddo, you've been tried and convicted by a group of your ex-peers. As punishment you need to go to all those folks at your high school that you handed out The Book of Mormon to, and apologize. Also, from here on out you are at risk of being stalked by No Surprise. But, you will still be better off.
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29136 Nov 10, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably not..isn't that odd? Wouldn't you want to know if you had been lied to, even your whole life?
Yep. I would even want to know if I had been unintentionally mislead. Gotta have some standards.

Ozark, MO

#29137 Nov 10, 2013
Curtis Penfold wrote:
<quoted text>That's not true. The president of SHARE, BYU's interfaith club, is an open atheist who came to BYU as a Greek Orthodox. BYU identifies him as a "secular humanist." He's not the only atheist who's on the record at BYU as an atheist. But since he was never Mormon, that's alright. He falls under the jurisdiction of the BYU chaplain.

"I didn't know! I didn't know! It's not my fault! I didn't know!" You need to man up, cowboy. Pull that tampon out, and bite that bullet. Hey, maybe the "U" will have ya...
pearl

Sandy, UT

#29138 Nov 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Apparently it seems that way. How altruistic of you all.
Imagine that. And we're not even LDS. Liberal trait, ya think?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Whiskey Ben Solo 18,188
News Senate rejects changes to 'Obamacare' in stiff ... 2 min Just Think 21
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min sonicfilter 1,567,927
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Just Think 280,376
News Russia orders cut in US diplomats in sanctions ... 4 min anonymous 1
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 4 min cpeter1313 7,071
News Trump bars transgender individuals from US arme... 5 min ImPeach 216
More from around the web