Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 31996 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Since: Sep 12

United States

#22719 Mar 26, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Speaking from my personal experience, if you have come to what Christ is offering you, you have no choice but to change. You change how you treat people, you change how you view others, you change in that you look for ways to serve God. It comes out of your gratitude for what he has done. But you aren't trying to earn anything, you have already received his greatest gift, now you hope to live up to it, but when you fall, he is there to pick you up again. You never lose he grace, or his salvation.
Living in the "Bible Belt" as I do, I can honestly tell you that is far from the case. Many here are "saved" and still act very unChristlike. Point being, no change from within. Their brand of Christianity is worshiping twice on Sunday, and maybe on Wednesday evenings. Then it's back to business as usual. Anyway, thanks. I'm still looking for "Protester" to answer my questions.
Seriously

Hyattsville, MD

#22720 Mar 26, 2013
Mormons are not Christians. They believe in an entirely different Jesus - one they (or their prophets) invented. They deny the Trinity, they believe in salvation through works, and they believe that they will one day be "gods" too. There religion is a fictional tale of a very confused and occultic type individual named Joseph Smith who "revealed" God's will for mankind, but those practices have since been discontinued. Hmmm. So God changed, huh? Anyway, they are not Christians. They are a different religion because they worship a different god - one of their own making.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#22721 Mar 26, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text> I forgot to mention that reading it was almost as boring as watching paint dry. The only reason I read it was so I could better serve my clients. These are things that effect them and I have to be educated on it.
Your average American hasn't read it. My fear is that they won't. Hell , I wouldn't have if it wasn't for the work I do.
We can't let the courts and politicians decide our future. We have to educate ourselves and understand our options.
Northern European countries are ranked higher than the US in quality and life expectancy, and having an uninsured population keeps inflating the cost health care

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#22722 Mar 26, 2013
A friend of mine decided to go to the Osmond rally tonight and express their opinion! This was the sign they used: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php...

Wish I coulda been there.
1 post removed

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#22724 Mar 27, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
An it's apparent that what he was told by the member was referring to what I posted. Just because he didn't remember it word for word or that maybe the member was mistaken, doesn't make them wrong, it makes you an jackass for again playing ignorant childish games. Why you think acting like a 5 yr old is going to make you right is beyond me. Being an immature jerk doesn't help you or the LDS church.
He made a statement. He believed the statement. Because you're an immature jerk you didn't set him correct. You enjoy people believing in lies and misinformation.
So I informed him what was the truth, that Mormons have been asked not to migrate to America but to remain where they are.
By the way, you get all *issy faced if I act like an immature jerk yet you find it okay if you act like an immature jerk? Some more of your hypocrisy in action there.

Marysville, CA

#22725 Mar 27, 2013
A book I'll have to get:
The Truth about Mormons
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/creating-...

Marysville, CA

#22726 Mar 27, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
He made a statement. He believed the statement. Because you're an immature jerk you didn't set him correct. You enjoy people believing in lies and misinformation.
So I informed him what was the truth, that Mormons have been asked not to migrate to America but to remain where they are.
By the way, you get all *issy faced if I act like an immature jerk yet you find it okay if you act like an immature jerk? Some more of your hypocrisy in action there.
Physician, heal thyself.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22727 Mar 27, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I'm talking about the gospel of Jesus Christ, not Chinese practices.
Jesus said it wasn't true.
I follow Christ, you can follow whatever you want.
Wrong as usual. Jesus said nothing of eternal marriage in the NT. So you're wrong and a liar to put words in Jesus's mouth that he spoke of eternal marriage in the NT. And here I thought you were seeking truth? After your own distorted truths again?

Marysville, CA

#22728 Mar 27, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong as usual. Jesus said nothing of eternal marriage in the NT. So you're wrong and a liar to put words in Jesus's mouth that he spoke of eternal marriage in the NT. And here I thought you were seeking truth? After your own distorted truths again?
The fact you refuse to read the clear message he gave that marriage is over at death is your problem, not mine.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22729 Mar 27, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
No, he is destined for hell because he rejected the grace of Jesus Christ and tried to earn his salvation by his own works of righteousness. He rejected Jesus Christ and his atonement when he became LDS.
<quoted text>
If that is what you got from my post, you need to learn how to read. The subject wasn't even about my Dad.
But I think you are just trying to divert from the topic again, because you can't deny the facts of it.
Deny what facts? You have a bad habit of not listing facts. What facts am I denying? List them out.
As to your dad, as I told my dad when he was on a high horse equal with Jesus Christ, deciding who was going to hell and who was going to heaven, you're not God. You know not the heart/mind of God. You have an opinion. And when you make judgements with that opinion, you will be judged by them. You as many others will one day have to explain to God how you thought you had his power to discern who went where and why as to heaven and hell. You really need to think why you suppose you can do God's job for him. Just saying.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22730 Mar 27, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
They do in part. If the perspective convert smokes or drinks, they are forced to give me up before the missionary will even consider baptizing them. That is LDS works of the law. As for dragging the new member anywhere, that is just an ignorant question. That isn't their job or calling. After the person is baptized the member is taught the works that are required by the church in their Sunday meetings. New member men to earn the priesthood, then temple endowments, new member women to get temple endowments and marriage.
<quoted text>
Again, a childish question, one that is an attempt to avoid the facts. "Milk before meat."
<quoted text>
And they deny it every time they go to the temple to do works for the dead.
Romans 11:6
But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.
Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
You liar. They do no such thing in part. They teach the gospel 24/7 but you know nothing of what they do as I remember you didn't do a mission because your parents and their religious ideas were trash to you, something to disrespect and rebel against.
If a member smokes, drinks etc that is up to them to quit. If they do that is their work they have done while establishing their faith and the belief the body should be treated as a temple of God.
So Mormon missionaries don't do works on a mission why preaching out to prospects you fool. They do volunteer their time on their day off to do something good for others that is true. But according to you, doing something good for people as Jesus taught us to do is a devil teaching isn't it.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22731 Mar 27, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking from my personal experience, if you have come to what Christ is offering you, you have no choice but to change. You change how you treat people, you change how you view others, you change in that you look for ways to serve God. It comes out of your gratitude for what he has done. But you aren't trying to earn anything, you have already received his greatest gift, now you hope to live up to it, but when you fall, he is there to pick you up again. You never lose he grace, or his salvation.
You fricking, pathetic, out right lying hypocritical ignorant clown...lol...you just got done putting these verses down...
Romans 11:6
But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.
Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
AND THAN YOU BOAST OF WORKS that you have been trashing EVERYONE about for weeks!!!!!!!!!! lolol
"..if you have come to what Christ is offering you, you have no choice but to change. You change how you treat people, you change how you view others, you change in that you look for ways to serve God."
You don't know if you're coming or going...why am I not surprised..
Seriously

Hyattsville, MD

#22732 Mar 27, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
In Matthew 22: 28-33, Jesus says,

"You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

In Mark 12: 22-25, Jesus says,

"Is this not the reason you are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God? For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

In Luke 20: 34- 36, Jesus says,

"The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage, but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage, for they cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection."

In MY Bible these words (above) are in RED! So yes, Jesus DID speak of marriage in the NT. He said (clearly too) there will be NO MARRIAGE in Heaven.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22733 Mar 27, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact you refuse to read the clear message he gave that marriage is over at death is your problem, not mine.
lolol...nooooo, it's definitely your problem. You interjected the word 'eternal' and no such word is there. Jesus said the giving and taking of marrige, Jesus didn't say the giving and taking of eternal marriage.
Read your fricking Bible and what it states, not what you want it to state.

Ozark, MO

#22734 Mar 27, 2013
You know... I remember not too long ago, Utah was taking a large influx of people from all over the US. So much so that the First Presidency issued a statement to be read in all meeting houses for people to stay where they were. Not to migrate to Utah. To establish Zion where you lived, in your home. Perhaps, this is what that person was referring to.

Ozark, MO

#22735 Mar 27, 2013
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>In Matthew 22: 28-33, Jesus says,

"You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

In Mark 12: 22-25, Jesus says,

"Is this not the reason you are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God? For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

In Luke 20: 34- 36, Jesus says,

"The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage, but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage, for they cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection."

In MY Bible these words (above) are in RED! So yes, Jesus DID speak of marriage in the NT. He said (clearly too) there will be NO MARRIAGE in Heaven.
You are correct. People will not marry, nor will they be "given in marriage." Correct me if I'm wrong, but it does not say that those who are married before they die, that those marriages will be dissolved.

Ozark, MO

#22736 Mar 27, 2013
It means simply that once I'm dead, I cannot marry another. It also means one cannot be given in marriage once they pass away.

Ozark, MO

#22737 Mar 27, 2013
"The point I would make about the phrase,'marry and given in marriage,' is that it is referring to the 'business transaction' of marriage. There are many aspects to a marriage arrangement, and we tend to think of it much more as a matter of love today than as a matter of business…looking at it as a business venture would seem very 'un-romantic' to us now. However, in the time of the Bible, marriage was considered much more from a practical,'business' type viewpoint. The fact was that a man could find it very difficult to live without a woman to help him in a multitude of ways, and a woman would find it very difficult to live without a man to support her. Thus, marriage was often looked at as a practical necessity, and the business of marrying someone was thus viewed as a practical thing rather than a matter of 'falling in love.' To marry, then, was what a man did when he went out and arranged for a woman to marry him, and to give in marriage was what a father did when he arranged for a man to marry his daughter. It was considered as a transaction between the two parties, and was perhaps the most crucial aspect of business a man would ever engage in. Thus, this phrase,'marry and give in marriage,' was used as a figure of speech for carrying out the everyday, common, business relations of life! We can see it used this way in Matthew 24:38-39:

38. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,
39. and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

Here, marrying and giving in marriage, along with eating and drinking, is used as a figure for carrying out the everyday, necessary business of life, just as eating and drinking stand for those everyday actions that we all do to sustain life. Marrying and giving in marriage were considered basic, crucial business transactions.

http://precepts.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/marr...

Reeds Spring, MO

#22738 Mar 27, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
"The point I would make about the phrase,'marry and given in marriage,' is that it is referring to the 'business transaction' of marriage. There are many aspects to a marriage arrangement, and we tend to think of it much more as a matter of love today than as a matter of business…looking at it as a business venture would seem very 'un-romantic' to us now. However, in the time of the Bible, marriage was considered much more from a practical,'business' type viewpoint. The fact was that a man could find it very difficult to live without a woman to help him in a multitude of ways, and a woman would find it very difficult to live without a man to support her. Thus, marriage was often looked at as a practical necessity, and the business of marrying someone was thus viewed as a practical thing rather than a matter of 'falling in love.' To marry, then, was what a man did when he went out and arranged for a woman to marry him, and to give in marriage was what a father did when he arranged for a man to marry his daughter. It was considered as a transaction between the two parties, and was perhaps the most crucial aspect of business a man would ever engage in. Thus, this phrase,'marry and give in marriage,' was used as a figure of speech for carrying out the everyday, common, business relations of life! We can see it used this way in Matthew 24:38-39:

38. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,
39. and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

Here, marrying and giving in marriage, along with eating and drinking, is used as a figure for carrying out the everyday, necessary business of life, just as eating and drinking stand for those everyday actions that we all do to sustain life. Marrying and giving in marriage were considered basic, crucial business transactions.

http://precepts.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/marr...
*a matter of business… looking at it as a business venture would seem...

Reeds Spring, MO

#22739 Mar 27, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>*a matter of business… looking at it as a business venture would seem...
Geez!!!
a matter of business... looking at it as a business venture would seem...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Uncle Tab 244,125
News Police in riot-hit Charlotte say shooting victi... 4 min deplorable spud 689
News Clinton promises to fight hackers 5 min Dee Dee Dee 1
News Hillary Clinton Charges Racism 5 min Basil Fomeen 719
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 5 min antipolicticalcor... 18,592
News Reason to cringe: Female voters react to Trump 8 min andet1987 230
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Hill4me 225,443
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 26 min positronium 395,947
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 45 min Injudgement 1,433,569
More from around the web