Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#116414 Jun 30, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text> Don't rock the boat and stop the gravy train in grants. To bad there is politically correct science :( To bad the computer models on global warming don't match the results :)
Darn it, you killed a kitten!

:-(
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#116415 Jun 30, 2014
Naughtyrobot wrote:
I'm a pretty amazing Autonomous Person, a type of robot, and I am pretty sure I was designed and created, yet I am a poor copy of a human being. The human mind, body (and spirit?) are so much more complicated and intiricate, my positronic brain has trouble comprehending it all. How is it such a thing could come about by random chance or undirected processes? Maybe a toaster could evolve out of pieces of metal ore and such, hit by lightining and you might find it surviving in the wild?
I think that toaster might have a kitten in it.

“Denny Crain”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#116416 Jun 30, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that toaster might have a kitten in it.
If a cat has kittens in an oven you don't call them biscuits:)
wondering

Sunset, TX

#116417 Jun 30, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Then water has an instinct to freeze in the cold and evaporate in the heat.
poor poor little piss-ant. you can't refute any of what i said so you just throw out garbage. sad thing is you probably think that what you say is true. do tell us how you think water is alive. go back to your corner and play with your blocks. when you finally make it out of grade school come back and try to show some intelligence.
wondering

Sunset, TX

#116418 Jun 30, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlikely given that the expansion rate is accelerating. Countering that would take some major new physics. If you know of any, please let someone know.
you seem like the leader of the class, the one with some smarts. tell me what observable evidence you have or any evidence that shows the universe is not only expanding but also is the expansion is accelerating? other than "the theory of general relativity which predicts that the whole universe is either expanding or contracting, there really isn't any other alternative"

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#116419 Jun 30, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
you seem like the leader of the class, the one with some smarts. tell me what observable evidence you have or any evidence that shows the universe is not only expanding but also is the expansion is accelerating? other than "the theory of general relativity which predicts that the whole universe is either expanding or contracting, there really isn't any other alternative"
PARDON, are you criticizing big bang theory here WITHOUT knowing of the empirical evidence it has? Tell me, why are you criticizing things you haven't the slightest knowledge or understanding of? How does this work in your mind?

And we should take you SERIOUSLY?

Let's have a look: imagine me criticizing the bible by saying there is nothing about god creating the world in it. What would you think?

INDEED: first start to READ it.
Otherwise, SHUT up.
If you are THAT ignorant about things, DON'T TATTLE about them.

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#116420 Jun 30, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
poor poor little piss-ant. you can't refute any of what i said so you just throw out garbage. sad thing is you probably think that what you say is true. do tell us how you think water is alive. go back to your corner and play with your blocks. when you finally make it out of grade school come back and try to show some intelligence.
Translation: I can't answer Dude's points.
wondering

United States

#116421 Jun 30, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
PARDON, are you criticizing big bang theory here WITHOUT knowing of the empirical evidence it has? Tell me, why are you criticizing things you haven't the slightest knowledge or understanding of? How does this work in your mind?
And we should take you SERIOUSLY?
Let's have a look: imagine me criticizing the bible by saying there is nothing about god creating the world in it. What would you think?
INDEED: first start to READ it.
Otherwise, SHUT up.
If you are THAT ignorant about things, DON'T TATTLE about them.
your post shows all your evidence. all you do is rattle.
wondering

United States

#116422 Jun 30, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation: I can't answer Dude's points.
translation: all you do is rattle

“Don't be mad at me.”

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#116423 Jun 30, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Post of the month award!
Thanks. I do what I can.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#116424 Jun 30, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
The expansion comes from red shift measurements compared to distances. The accelerating expansion comes from supernova observations and curve fitting. General relativity is the background theory to explain things, but it is a general theory into which specific observations need to be applied. But between the supernovae, the red shifts, the background radiation, etc, the evidence shows that not only is there an expansion, but that the rate of expansion has been increasing for the last couple of billion years.

Quite a lot has been done in cosmology recently. Questions that were wide open 20 years ago with factors of two (like the age of the universe) and now known to within 1%. The cosmological constant has been confirmed (again because of the acceleration) and the dichotomies that existed in theories without it have been expanded a bit.

“If It Is Possible”

Since: Mar 13

It Will Likely Happen

#116425 Jun 30, 2014
Spontaneous generation definition from Biology Online - The previously popular notion that living organisms arise or develop from nonliving matter.
http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Spon...

Science has shown that spontaneous generation of living organisms arising or developing from nonliving matter is impossible and a myth,,,, but yet tell us and teach us at the same time that is how life arose(abiogenesis). So is it possible or impossible?

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#116426 Jun 30, 2014
replaytime wrote:
Spontaneous generation definition from Biology Online - The previously popular notion that living organisms arise or develop from nonliving matter.
Science has shown that spontaneous generation of living organisms arising or developing from nonliving matter is impossible and a myth,,,, but yet tell us and teach us at the same time that is how life arose(abiogenesis). So is it possible or impossible?
Life didn't begin with organisms.

“If It Is Possible”

It Will Likely Happen

#116427 Jun 30, 2014
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Life didn't begin with organisms.
True but that doesn't change the fact of life itself supposedly spontaneously generating.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#116428 Jun 30, 2014
replaytime wrote:
http://biopoiesis.blogspot.com/

“If It Is Possible”

It Will Likely Happen

#116429 Jun 30, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
Yes I have read many hypothesis of how life started,,, and there are several

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#116430 Jul 1, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevant. We will whether we want to or not. So? The truth doesn't
need to make you happy or comfortable. It just needs to be the
truth.
Relevant!
Because, truly speaking, no body wants to.
And this is one of the reason why we can not really rely on what we see until that thing is verified. In the case of God, no one can conclusively say, he does not exist, because no one knows how the universe came.

Location hidden

#116431 Jul 1, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
"Can technology or science stop death"?
Another joke, I suppose?
Good!
You have made my point.
Humans are limited. We don't know every thing, so some of us can not conclude using science, that God does not exist. Period.

Location hidden

#116432 Jul 1, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
"Can technology or science stop death"?
Another joke, I suppose?
Good!
You have made my point.
We do not know everything.

Location hidden

#116433 Jul 1, 2014
dragoon70056 wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on the mind.
Ofcourse.
But every one must die.
So why do we die, when we don't want to?
No one can even predict his or her tomorrow, talk of life spans.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clinton calls for full citizenship path 2 min Le Jimbo 15
News Texas gay discrimination bill opens complex fat... 3 min INFIDEL 7
News NYPD officer shot in head dies, commissioner ci... 3 min TOASTER 56
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,224,816
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 4 min barefoot2626 690
News The right therapy for LGBT youth 7 min barefoot2626 14
News Chicago approves $5.5M package for police tortu... 10 min see the light 1
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 15 min Ari son of Anarchy 180,470
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Independent patriot 326,527
News Ben Carson confirms presidential campaign 2 hr Aspirin Between M... 116
More from around the web