Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 173785 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#116262 Jun 28, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, no garbage but facts that you refuse to see or even acknowledge. Hiding from the evidence does not make the evidence go away, it just makes you look even more stupid. You have nothing but incredulity and a heavy right foot and neither are worth a toss in the real world
Where do you get the idea that we have the whole knowledge of everything? And why do you assume that such knowledge will make life immortal?
Science and nutrition have increased the life span of the average human being from biblical times of about 24 years to the current 78+ years. No god magic involved
Please take your brain out of neutral before engaging mouth and vomiting ignorance
Dreaming Again, wake up.

Location hidden

#116263 Jun 28, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you claim god dunit wiv magic why canít cells be eternal?
Do some research work about mortals and immortal, ok?

Location hidden

#116264 Jun 28, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Can a man give birth to life
Can a man produce a child without a women
Prove god is real and you will have one convert in me
Prove the universe was made by god magic and you will have one convert in m,e
Until then I will stick with the known facts
Get what, your wet dreams? Donít be stupid, use a hanky
I am not here to convert any one, I am only to correct some mis information. God is real, because the universe never came by accident, and again, woman only have an X chromosomes unlike their male counterparts.

“Me Me Me!”

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#116265 Jun 28, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
We can tell by the hair do we are no match for you..
Thank GOD!

Location hidden

#116266 Jun 28, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we die because we are biological organisms. The causes of death are wide ranging, but old age seems to come about because of shortening of teleomeres.
<quoted text>
That is true for humans, but for many other animals it is false. There are species of lizards, for example, that are only female.
<quoted text>
I am always amused by the way certain people use the words 'accident, random, caused' and a few others. They seem to think that these are all opposites of the word 'designed'.
Here is how I take it:
1. Accident implies, to me, an intention that one thing happens when another does happen. A car accident happens when we crash while intending not to. As such, to say something is 'accidental' means there is an intention opposed to the event.
So, I would agree that the universe was not 'accidental' since I don't believe there was any intelligence intending anything at all. Similarly, the orbits of the planets are neither intended nor accidental.
2. Random implies, to me, an inability to determine the outcome from the initial conditions. It does not mean all outcomes are equally likely. But, for example, the action of gravity is not random. Quantum mechanics says that some types of events are truly random-we cannot predict exactly which of several outcomes will occur in any situation, but we *can* predict the probabilities of the different outcomes. So there is predictability even in randomness.
3. To be caused, to me, means that when certain conditions happen, the laws of physics lead to the specific result being discussed. So, the gravity of the sun causes the planets to move in elliptical orbits (approximately). In particular, though, causality requires that time exist and that there be laws of physics (at least in some sense). Also, if the laws of physics do NOT determine a specific outcome, then that outcome was not 'caused'. So quantum mechanics is NOT a causal description of things.
4. Designed, to me, means there is an intelligent agent that specifically intends the given outcome and has used the laws of physics to make it come about.
Notice that being caused does not imply that there was a designer. The opposite of accidental is NOT to be designed. There are 'random' events in the universe and not everything has a cause.
Your opinion.

“Me Me Me!”

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#116267 Jun 28, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> So, we really do have the knowledge of science , why can we not use the acquired knowledge of science, since truly , nobody wants to die?
Lol. I can't wait to see the answer to this one.

“It is often that a ”

Since: Mar 13

person's mouth broke his nose.

#116268 Jun 29, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And again, since we all die, it shows that we truly don't know everything. Because nobody truly want to die, when can not help that, this shows that there are many things yet to be known by man.
We are all going to die, this generation, the next generation, the next generation and so on. Man can prolong death a little and sometimes for the short time being even cheat death for a few years. But death will always win. One would think after millions and millions and millions of years evolution, which is all about survival, would have came up with something to to beat death but it has produced nothing in that area.

Location hidden

#116269 Jun 29, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Beyond the Planck epoch we just don't know.
YOU NEITHER.
Death is inevitable, even though nobody wants , do you agree to this? Does that mean that we are un aware about many things we are claiming awareness of?

Location hidden

#116270 Jun 29, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Even a failed experiment, faulty prediction or unexpected results yields new information. How many discoveries or technological innovations came about by complete accident or scientists looking for something different from what they discovered? Science can be ugly, messy, complicated and unpredictable but if the focus is primarily on discovery then it does always work.
How many people with the right frame of mind will really wants to die? Tell me.

Location hidden

#116271 Jun 29, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. I can't wait to see the answer to this one.
Laughing.

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#116272 Jun 29, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> How many people with the right frame of mind will really wants to die? Tell me.
Someone who's life is curtailed by alot of pain?

Location hidden

#116273 Jun 29, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
We are all going to die, this generation, the next generation, the next generation and so on. Man can prolong death a little and sometimes for the short time being even cheat death for a few years. But death will always win. One would think after millions and millions and millions of years evolution, which is all about survival, would have came up with something to to beat death but it has produced nothing in that area.
God Bless. You have said it all.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#116274 Jun 29, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. It's mans interpretation of those things just like with science.
If I wanted something to be true I can find scientific ways to prove it. That doesn't make it anymore true.
Like I've said before the bible was written so long ago and has been misinterpreted so badly that we may never know what the original meaning was. That's why I don't take it literally.
Although science has shown that star wise many things written are true.
I see... so you think that technology works because thousands of scientists all came up with their own biased opinions and finagled ways to get them published and accepted by the mainstream. Science has shown that "star wise" Genesis is golden calf crap.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#116275 Jun 29, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> So, we really do have the knowledge of science , why can we not use the acquired knowledge of science, since truly , nobody wants to die?
Has the average human life span gone up or down since the enlightenment? Why?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#116276 Jun 29, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
So, it is your "opinion" that when caught, change the subject.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> That has been my stand.
That isn't a stand. It is a tactical retreat and not particularly honest or honorable.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#116277 Jun 29, 2014
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
One would think, but I know of some who apparently opt not to.
How long would a species survive if none died over a prolonged period? After "millions and millions and millions of years" the birth rate would either have to hover marginally above zero or the infant mortality rate would have to be extreme.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#116278 Jun 29, 2014
reeldeel wrote:
There used to be so many miracles. Parted seas, arks, wine to water, free fish, burning bushes, babbling towers, 500 year old humans. Then they just sort of stopped.
Why?
Good question. Did the creator retire?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#116279 Jun 29, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank GOD!
Thank Mattel.
1 post removed

“I can never convince the ”

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#116281 Jun 29, 2014
Cali-girl20 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. It's mans interpretation of those things just like with science.
If I wanted something to be true I can find scientific ways to prove it. That doesn't make it anymore true.
Like I've said before the bible was written so long ago and has been misinterpreted so badly that we may never know what the original meaning was. That's why I don't take it literally.
Although science has shown that star wise many things written are true.
If you force an outcome you aren't following the scientific method.

“I can never convince the ”

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#116282 Jun 29, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And again, since we all die, it shows that we truly don't know everything. Because nobody truly want to die, when can not help that, this shows that there are many things yet to be known by man.
Charles. Christianity has been around for 2000 years and to my knowledge there are none alive today over 150 years of age. However, 2000 years ago the average life span was on the order 30 years or so. This remained the case until the 19th Century and coincides with the development of science and science-driven medicine and public health. Now the average lifespan is over 70 years of age and approaching 80. Additionally, the number of centenarians in developed countries is on the rise and is expected to consist of over 5 million people in the next 30 years.

I agree with you that there is much that we do not know and have yet to learn, but it would appear that science has been addressing the issue of increased lifespan and quality of life as well. The population alive today has a greater proportion living well than in any other time in history. I consider this a positive development of science, but the down side is that we get over population, pollution, depletion of resources, global climate change and so on. This is where people of all positions need to come together and use compassion, wisdom, belief and the efforts of science to find conclusions. While science has to driven by evidence, how the findings are used requires that other ways the world is viewed be considered and weighed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Anchor baby' fight scrambles Republican field 1 min Taletha 367
News White House says Mount McKinley to be renamed D... 3 min ICE 86
News GOP establishment plans Trump takedown 3 min Synque 130
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min RealDave 1,277,081
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 min Taletha 341,185
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min JRB 196,950
News Turkey duped the US, and ISIS reaps rewards 6 min Filipsamovich 27
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 14 min IND 193,949
More from around the web