Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Jan 6, 2011, Best of New Orleans story titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#110129 Mar 20, 2014
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith in people's desire to feast we can have that too the faith that they will always partake in what is to offer...
Once a do a do over and when the complete will be a satisfy...
People are hungry for what is believe?
Believer in Trust to trust in what is being said told and to take that to heart and pump that through...
To yours in blood...
All good reddens??? Riddance s ...
Pluralizations punctuations
Trust, belief and faith are not the same things but none of the above >require< knowledge to exacerbate themselves, hence the poopularity of Answers in Genesis. It is my experience that those who doo-doo not learn are doo-doomed to repeat their misinformation.
People are hungry for what is believe. It's called being scared witless for a reason.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#110130 Mar 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>Abraham knew The Creator. Do you know what faith is?
Do you have evidence of this?

Kind of ironic that you ask such a stupid question.
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#110131 Mar 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have evidence of this?
Kind of ironic that you ask such a stupid question.
Well Christie, I guess you've still got a lot of learnin to do.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#110132 Mar 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, faith is what you believe. This is not a game of tiddlywinks. This is a great debate over Evolution verses Creation and what people believe is correct in their own views.
Faith is more an attitude towards belief than a belief in itself. It says that you don't need evidence to believe, that evidence can be ignored, and that anything that goes against your faith is wrong.

As such, faith is a bad thing. It promotes superstitious thinking, ignoring facts because of per-conceived beliefs, and belittling those who don't accept your assumptions.

This is actually a great debate between superstition and science. Science uses evidence, is based on reasoning, and accepts the fact that we don't know many things, so ideas can be revised in the future. Superstition says that evidence is irrelevant, is based on emotional response, and doesn't allow for provisional knowledge. Evolution is one part of science. Creationism, on the other hand, is pure superstition.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#110133 Mar 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>Abraham knew The Creator. Do you know what faith is?
Faith is believing what ya know ain't so.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#110134 Mar 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, faith is what you believe. This is not a game of tiddlywinks. This is a great debate over Evolution verses Creation and what people believe is correct in their own views.
There is no scientific debate over evolution. The matter is settled. Evolution is a fact.

The "debate" you speak of is political. It has no bearing on the validity of science.
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#110135 Mar 20, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith is more an attitude towards belief than a belief in itself. It says that you don't need evidence to believe, that evidence can be ignored, and that anything that goes against your faith is wrong.
As such, faith is a bad thing. It promotes superstitious thinking, ignoring facts because of per-conceived beliefs, and belittling those who don't accept your assumptions.
This is actually a great debate between superstition and science. Science uses evidence, is based on reasoning, and accepts the fact that we don't know many things, so ideas can be revised in the future. Superstition says that evidence is irrelevant, is based on emotional response, and doesn't allow for provisional knowledge. Evolution is one part of science. Creationism, on the other hand, is pure superstition.
You speak like you are expecting everyone here to not question everything you said. You want us to trust what you say. I have no doubt that you have these strong convictions with sincerity of intentions, but to believe you, is to take everything you say on faith.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#110136 Mar 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
Its telling that you as a creationist see this as a battle of competing faiths, whereas evolutionists understand this is a battle between FAITH itself as a way of knowing about the world, versus skepticism which regards faith itself as a bad method of finding out anything.

A "leap of faith", the willingness to believe without objective evidence, is regarded as a virtue by religious creationists, but a vice by the scientifically minded. Science thrives on the opposite of faith, which is doubt (not to be confused with denialism, which is the refusal to accept something even with strong positive evidence).

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#110137 Mar 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>You speak like you are expecting everyone here to not question everything you said. You want us to trust what you say. I have no doubt that you have these strong convictions with sincerity of intentions, but to believe you, is to take everything you say on faith.
I very much doubt that. He is more likely hoping you will challenge what he says and then shoot you down with facts and evidence.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#110138 Mar 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>You speak like you are expecting everyone here to not question everything you said. You want us to trust what you say. I have no doubt that you have these strong convictions with sincerity of intentions, but to believe you, is to take everything you say on faith.
Please do NOT take what I say on faith. Look into the actual evidence. Learn enough math and physics to understand the evidence and see how it implies what is claimed. Learn enough chemistry or statistical mechanics to understand what the second law of thermodynamics actually says. The information is out there. It can take some dedication to learn and understand it, but it is open to everyone.

So, no,*please* do not take what I or anyone else says on faith, especially what you read in 2000 year old books.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#110139 Mar 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hence the reason my passport gives my nationality as “BRITISH”.
Why do you have such difficulty seeing the obvious?
<quoted text>
Because they are there, they can be measured, they can be observed.
You do seem to have a real problem with reality
<quoted text>
The British government can be called many things but I believe the
closest any of those names get to scam is sham and that is only by
malcontents who either gor up on the wrong side of the bed or they
believe they are owed a wage for being alive.
Idiot. The British government comprises of those in England( the English), Scotland(the scots), and Wales(the Welsh). And again, nothing can just evolve without a maker. The universe did not evolve on its own without a creator.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#110140 Mar 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you say that again but in English this time?
Yes, the language of England that is widely spoken in many parts of the world.
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#110141 Mar 20, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do NOT take what I say on faith. Look into the actual evidence. Learn enough math and physics to understand the evidence and see how it implies what is claimed. Learn enough chemistry or statistical mechanics to understand what the second law of thermodynamics actually says. The information is out there. It can take some dedication to learn and understand it, but it is open to everyone.
So, no,*please* do not take what I or anyone else says on faith, especially what you read in 2000 year old books.
You say things like Creationism is just superstition and anyone who believes it needs no evidence and their faith is not based on reasoning. Are you sure about these claims? Are you telling us that no persons on your side ignore facts?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#110142 Mar 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>You say things like Creationism is just superstition and anyone who believes it needs no evidence and their faith is not based on reasoning. Are you sure about these claims? Are you telling us that no persons on your side ignore facts?
That depends somewhat on what you consider 'my side' to be. When a scientist ignores facts in evidence, they are not working as a scientist. There are a great many people who are neither creationists nor scientists, and many of those people routinely ignore facts. But I do stand by the statement that creationists do not base their beliefs by testing them against evidence. Instead, their approach to evidence is to distort it until it agrees with their conclusions. They have the conclusion *first* and then attempt to stuff everything into that conclusion. Scientists look at the evidence first and then reach conclusions after testing. And that means challenging their ideas with tests designed to show where they go wrong.

So, what tests have you made to your creationist ideas to show where they could be wrong? Not something that you can distort into them, but something actually designed to show them wrong?
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#110143 Mar 20, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
That depends somewhat on what you consider 'my side' to be. When a scientist ignores facts in evidence, they are not working as a scientist. There are a great many people who are neither creationists nor scientists, and many of those people routinely ignore facts. But I do stand by the statement that creationists do not base their beliefs by testing them against evidence. Instead, their approach to evidence is to distort it until it agrees with their conclusions. They have the conclusion *first* and then attempt to stuff everything into that conclusion. Scientists look at the evidence first and then reach conclusions after testing. And that means challenging their ideas with tests designed to show where they go wrong.
So, what tests have you made to your creationist ideas to show where they could be wrong? Not something that you can distort into them, but something actually designed to show them wrong?
You are the expert in math and physics. My belief is that the universe came into existence very quickly and it expanded or branched out in full form. You apparently believe it took very great amounts of time for the cosmos to form, is this correct?

“I be me, and you are...”

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

#110144 Mar 20, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith is believing what ya know ain't so.
Faith in Positive belief...

So in all of the Science, technical things surely there was transport at the onset of Earth...

Have you seen Drew lately from the *Price is right*?

Anyway so where one's @ in their to mind...

Figure sum total de.lay and difference...

in a city...

#110145 Mar 20, 2014
What is not? It's 1012 now is it or hey ....

I think it's pretty much figure sum total and a difference and de.lays

...SO where you are at Amerika An Institutional Environment...
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#110146 Mar 20, 2014
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith in Positive belief...
So in all of the Science, technical things surely there was transport at the onset of Earth...
Have you seen Drew lately from the *Price is right*?
Anyway so where one's @ in their to mind...
Figure sum total de.lay and difference...
Uhhhhh...

:-/

in a city...

#110147 Mar 20, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>You are the expert in math and physics. My belief is that the universe came into existence very quickly and it expanded or branched out in full form. You apparently believe it took very great amounts of time for the cosmos to form, is this correct?
I am just going to butt in here...:)

Cosmic...That is like everything in combined as far as matter to man made or would matter be considered more of extra mass...

For what is of man in all of matter and facts to that...

Osmosis is the spontaneous net movement of solvent molecules through a partially permeable membrane into a region of higher solute concentration, in the direction that tends to equalize the solute concentrations on the two sides. Wikipedia

That is what Wik says and part Biology...As far as study and when was it that Hiroshima was plastered?

Trials in and Era's as far as the eye can see and what ITplaces where to be? Is where one is at a saying I have heard a few times...

As far as Faith a believe that God to Rule can not be one must become evolve to comprehend Futuristics some had a past to further and new cause......

Driving cars etc...what I meant cars a machine...on star and inventions...
Solute - &#8206;Osmosis (disambiguation)- &#8206;Reverse osmosis - &#8206;Forward osmosis

in a city...

#110148 Mar 20, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhhhhh...
:-/
What eva....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 Reasons The American Dream Is Eluding Black P... 2 min coretta 612
News Hillary Clinton - no stranger to controversy 2 min serfs up 224
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 min Karlton 324,917
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RealDave 1,220,996
News Obama amnesty greater threat to blacks than pol... 4 min Dee Dee Dee 35
News Congressman introduces resolution to protect LG... 6 min Holy Guacamole 16
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 7 min Fart Biscuits 23,173
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 23 min HILLARY 2016 179,484
News Poll: Hillary Clinton most admired woman 26 min someone else 753
More from around the web