Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221262 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#106178 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheers. Must admit, I can’t understand a word of it, having said that I’m only a few miles from Wales and have the same problem there. And even closer to Liverpool and true scouse leaves me shaking my head.
Hehehe.

Yah. Welsh is also a Celtic language - but it's from the Brythonic branch. Irish is from the Goidelic. The two are not mutually comprehensible - although some words are. Especially in place names.

And nobody, other than real Liverpudlians, understands Scouse.

The Borderland of Sol

#106179 Nov 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Some years ago when I lived in Germany, I was leaving Wiesbaden Air Base when I stopped and picked up a guy hitchhiking just outside the main gate. I took him for German - which I spoke - but couldn't understand a damn thing he was saying. I finally realized he was actually English. Though I still had a hell of a time understanding him.
Laffin again.

"English" isn't a language. It's a spectrum. Even in the US - I've seen a New Englander and a Louisianan having sincere difficulties.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#106180 Nov 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hehehe.
Yah. Welsh is also a Celtic language - but it's from the Brythonic branch. Irish is from the Goidelic. The two are not mutually comprehensible - although some words are. Especially in place names.
Hi Mac,
Can ea have that in the spectrum oi can understand.
Goilic is not Gealic?
It's like that letter Y that is actually pronounced as TH.
And where does Brythonic originate?
Brththon-briton? Bretagne?

I can't understand Scots, even if they try really hard. It gets embarrasing.
Just happy i can understand Billy Connolly.

SBT

Since: Jun 13

United States

#106181 Nov 18, 2013
MAAT wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S nowball_Earth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_carbon_c...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3...
Manganese-oxidizing photosynthesis before the rise of cyanobacteria
Jena E. Johnson,a,1 Samuel M. Webb,b Katherine Thomas,c Shuhei Ono,c Joseph L. Kirschvink,a,d and Woodward W. Fischera
http://www.pnas.org/content/97/4/1400.full.pd...
Paleoproterozoic snowball Earth: Extreme climatic
and geochemical global change and its
biological consequences
Joseph L. Kirschvink*†, Eric J. Gaidos‡, L. Elizabeth Bertani§, Nicholas J. Beukes¶, Jens Gutzmer¶, Linda N. Maepa*,
and Rachel E. Steinberger§
*Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences,‡Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and §Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125;
and ¶Department of Geology, Rand Afrikaans University, Auckland Park 2006, Johannesburg, South Africa
Communicated by Paul F. Hoffman, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, November 8, 1999 (received for review September 8, 1999)
Kirschvink (14) noted that the extreme geochemical environments predicted by a snowball Earth model explain the Neoproterozoic banded iron formations (BIFs). Hoffman et al.(10)
extended the model to account for the deposition and isotopic composition of postglacial cap carbonates. Tsikos and Moore (15) suggested that the glacial deposits and the unique manganese
(Mn) deposits of the Paleoproterozoic Hotazel formation in South Africa may be causally related, but without providing a mechanism. We suggest that a global glaciation followed by a
cyanobacterial bloom provides a simple explanation of the manganese formations and furthermore describes an extraordinary event in the geochemical history of the planet, one with
potentially profound implications for the evolution of life.
But wait, grasshopper have question, please explain how "primordial soup" in reducing atmosphere popped out a Prokaryote bacteria with a 4 million code DNA and an Axial Proton powered motor??? Look at the Prokaryote in Wiki and see, it's true, complex in the beginning, the chemical to life problem has never been repeated in the laboratory, nor solved. Is any science being done here to support this story? Seem you have a huge problem in the "begining".

Isn't this like Moses claiming he spoke to God on Mt. Sinai and came back without the tablets? This wiki story oversimplifies and skips some real problems, no matter how many signed on to it. You must answer the first question otherwise the whole notion is questionable.

http://www.genesisalive.com/2013/09/a-questio...

SBT

Since: Jun 13

United States

#106182 Nov 18, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
So what you're saying is that evolution and geology don't work but evolution and geology really do work.
Gotcha.
No, fossils are often used to identify a strata as it emerges across a lateral. The books use evo terms attached to evo ages to ident. the strata according to the fossils, which they assume died and piled up over eons. These are actually flood sediment deposits in most cases,(unless deposited in a local catastrophe). Good example are Grand Canyon nautilouds.

I will let Austin explain it relating to a limestone deposit that covers thousand of sq miles -

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#106183 Nov 18, 2013
MAAT wrote:
Thanks for the link Aura Mytha.
TAKS had a good source also on
Lots of Oxygen Does Not Necessarily Lead to the Evolution of Advanced Life
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/...
and
Great Oxidation Event: More Oxygen Through Multicellularity
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/...
Jan. 17, 2013 — The appearance of free oxygen in Earth's atmosphere led to the Great Oxidation Event. This was triggered by cyanobacteria producing oxygen that was used by multicellular forms as early as 2.3 billion years ago. As evolutionary biologists from the Universities of Zurich and Gothenburg have shown, this multicellularity was linked to the rise in oxygen and thus played a significant role for life on Earth as it is today.
Cyanobacteria occupied free niches
The increased production of oxygen set Earth's original atmosphere off balance. Because oxygen was poisonous for large numbers of anaerobic organisms, many anaerobic types of bacteria were eliminated, opening up ecological 'niches'. The researchers have determined the existence of many new types of multicellular cyanobacteria subsequent to the fundamental climatic event, and are deducing that these occupied the newly developed habitats. "Morphological changes in microorganisms such as bacteria were able to impact the environment fundamentally and to an extent scarcely imaginable," concludes Schirrmeister.
---
So it would be about oxygen supporting life and reproduction.
Or supporting the first landbased life.
Very interesting read. Thanks.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#106184 Nov 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Some years ago when I lived in Germany, I was leaving Wiesbaden Air Base when I stopped and picked up a guy hitchhiking just outside the main gate. I took him for German - which I spoke - but couldn't understand a damn thing he was saying. I finally realized he was actually English. Though I still had a hell of a time understanding him.
I was introduced to an Irish rugby player some years ago at an event. Tried my hardest to understand the guy, but probably picked up less than 70% of the conversation. But I did figure out it was mostly about rugby.
1 post removed

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#106186 Nov 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Must have been a Scoucer, a Geordie or a Scot

I was once amazed while in the US to see an old episode of Taggart (a Scottish detective, pretty broad Glasgow accent). There were subtitles!!!

#106187 Nov 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hehehe.
Welsh is something else entirely

#106188 Nov 18, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Now there is a comedian, I love his humour

The Borderland of Sol

#106189 Nov 18, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mac,
Can ea have that in the spectrum oi can understand.
Goilic is not Gealic?
It's like that letter Y that is actually pronounced as TH.
And where does Brythonic originate?
Brththon-briton? Bretagne?
I can't understand Scots, even if they try really hard. It gets embarrasing.
"Goidelic" includes Irish Gaelic, Scots Gaelic, and Manx.

"Brythonic" or "Brittonic" includes Welsh, Cornish, and yes, Breton.

VERY different languages, although I can understand some Scots Gaelic if it's spoken slowly enough.

And we like Billy Connolly - whose last name is Irish, BTW.

Everett, WA

#106190 Nov 18, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
But wait, grasshopper have question, please explain how "primordial soup" in reducing atmosphere popped out a Prokaryote bacteria with a 4 million code DNA and an Axial Proton powered motor??? Look at the Prokaryote in Wiki and see, it's true, complex in the beginning, the chemical to life problem has never been repeated in the laboratory, nor solved. Is any science being done here to support this story? Seem you have a huge problem in the "begining".
Isn't this like Moses claiming he spoke to God on Mt. Sinai and came back without the tablets? This wiki story oversimplifies and skips some real problems, no matter how many signed on to it. You must answer the first question otherwise the whole notion is questionable.
SBT, what were you told about using idiot sites? I did not even bother this time.

Your claim is not the claim of people who believe abiogenesis.

Your argument is based upon a straw man, in other words your argument is based upon a lie.

The Borderland of Sol

#106191 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Welsh is something else entirely
Yes, it is. Although, as I say, it has some words in common with Irish. "Mawr" in Welsh, for example, is "Mór" in Irish. They both mean "big".

Since: Jul 12

Gulgong, Australia

#106192 Nov 18, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
SBT, what were you told about using idiot sites? I did not even bother this time.
Your claim is not the claim of people who believe abiogenesis.
Your argument is based upon a straw man, in other words your argument is based upon a lie.
Why not fess up to the ugly truth. In actual fact after all the rubbish around primordial soups and a plethora of other theoretical assertions, in the end these bright sparks have ended up agreeing with an old scroll, that had already told everyone animal life began in the sea. LOL!

Everett, WA

#106193 Nov 18, 2013
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not fess up to the ugly truth. In actual fact after all the rubbish around primordial soups and a plethora of other theoretical assertions, in the end these bright sparks have ended up agreeing with an old scroll, that had already told everyone animal life began in the sea. LOL!
Nope, it was terribly wrong. It had "creation" of birds on the same day as fish:

"20 Then God commanded,“Let the water be filled with many kinds of living beings, and let the air be filled with birds.” 21 So God created the great sea monsters, all kinds of creatures that live in the water, and all kinds of birds. And God was pleased with what he saw. 22 He blessed them all and told the creatures that live in the water to reproduce and to fill the sea, and he told the birds to increase in number. 23 Evening passed and morning came—that was the fifth day."

Birds evolved after reptiles, dinosaurs, and even mammals and not before. Definitely not the same time as fish or even worse the first life of the sea.

Your raggedy old book is not even close.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#106194 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Must have been a Scoucer, a Geordie or a Scot
I was once amazed while in the US to see an old episode of Taggart (a Scottish detective, pretty broad Glasgow accent). There were subtitles!!!
Funny.

I've met a few of the un-understandables during my trips to England.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#106195 Nov 18, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
But wait, grasshopper have question, please explain how "primordial soup" in reducing atmosphere popped out a Prokaryote bacteria with a 4 million code DNA and an Axial Proton powered motor???
O hai Subordinate. I see you're still lying again.

By the way, the theory of evolution does not rely on abiogenesis. And your bacterial flagellum is still compromised by the existence of Yersinia pestis.

Do you have the same short term memory problem that slaphead does? Is that why you repeat the same arguments every day that we've debunked over and over?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#106196 Nov 18, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
No, fossils are often used to identify a strata as it emerges across a lateral. The books use evo terms attached to evo ages to ident. the strata according to the fossils, which they assume died and piled up over eons. These are actually flood sediment deposits in most cases,(unless deposited in a local catastrophe). Good example are Grand Canyon nautilouds.
Sorry, we did the flood too. As much as you love to claim otherwise, it is highly unlikely that virtually every fossil is of a drowned animal. And a zero percent likelihood of those that are were due to the global flood of the Bible.

Unless Jews are magic.

And I'm sure you're gonna provide the testable hypothesis for that one any day now, right?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#106197 Nov 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hehehe.
Hey man, it's easy to understand scouse.

Unless they appear on reality TV shows.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#106198 Nov 18, 2013
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not fess up to the ugly truth.
Okay then. You're an ugly liar. And buttugly to boot.(shrug)

God's looking forward to giving you a spanking, but then, you fundies are that perverted you're prolly looking forward to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News News Delaware trooper fatally shot outside conv... 1 min davy 5
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min JRB 1,522,706
News Sen. Elizabeth Warren blasts Donald Trump's fir... 1 min INFIDEL 10
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Injudgement 265,327
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min bad bob 46
News 'Black Men For Bernie' Leader Now Backs Trump (Sep '16) 7 min INFIDEL 68
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 10 min ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 2,076
News Attorney General doesn't realize Hawaii is a state 1 hr CodeTalker 342
News Top StoryTrump tells young immigrants in US ill... 1 hr 07 Mustang 86
News Americans have rendered their verdict on the fi... 1 hr 07 Mustang 119
More from around the web