Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221445 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79946 Mar 9, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
well apparently those who claim to know so much about science on this thread was not aware of such an important science theory that is dated 2002...would make one wonder.
my only point is that everyone seems to be agreeing that the earth was once cover with water...regardless of the time frame.
And it's the timeframe for which I have a problem - at least if they claim it was within the past few hundred million years that is. Hence why the Noah scenario is bunk.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#79947 Mar 9, 2013
His-truth wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
your turn Subduction ..... go
I have no interest in this idiocy.

Either make you point or forget it.

Why do you think that the theory of evolution is wrong?

Do you have any evidence that disproves the theory?

Are you aware of the fact that to date creationists have nothing?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#79948 Mar 9, 2013
His-truth wrote:
I type w/ ten thumbs and have lisdexia .. forgive me
I occasionally seem to have more than the standard number of thumbs myself.

Don't worry about it.
adif understanding

Little Hocking, OH

#79949 Mar 9, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it can be demonstrated.
Well, there are situations where you recalling the event is all that can be proven or demonstrated. If you would like to explain how outside of taking your word for it, it can be proven in all instances, then you have found a way for those who believe in God to prove it's existence too.
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually a simple blood test would be a clue to his identity. His facial appearance would be a clue to his identity. His fingerprints would be a clue to his identity. Possibly his clothes could be a clue to his identity.
Obviously you would make a LOUSY forensic investigator.
A blood test would only work if his DNA or other blood samples are in the system. You fail big time here. There are thousands of unidentified dead people and cold cases all over this country let alone the world in which they will likely never be identified. You make a lousy participant in reality.
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Then if it is not testable then there is no way to distinguish it from BS.
outside of people who are convinced in some way unique to them that it's true or the God is real, you are right. But then again, so is the accounting of talking to some random stranger with not witnesses other then yourself.
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. The Cosmic Sheep from dimension Zog might sound like complete BS. But it COULD be true.
Now if you can get a couple thousand of years behind your cosmic sheep theory and a lot of other people who claim they have been convinced by actions outside of you telling them about it, I will give it the same weight and consideration as I do the various God theories and claims.

History is recorded then circulated and objections to the accounting are documents and in the end, hundred of years after the fact, we know something is true or relatively true in the sense of historically accuracy without ever interviewing eye witnesses or even requiring one of the least bits or repeatable scientific experiments. So far, to date, the best objections to religions are no it happened this way without ever falsifying the claim. Showing that something could be accomplished differently is not the same as discrediting that something.
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo. And this is what separates science from religious dogma. For it may be possible that in the future more evidence may be discovered that may require us to change existing theories, or on rare occasions throw them out entirely.
But until that time, we stick with the science that works.
You can stick to all the science you want. I never said anything the opposite. What I said is that science does not disprove God nor is God subject to science. Please find the ability to separate those and follow along.

“the end-times is now”

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#79950 Mar 9, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
The "micro" and "macro" differentiation has, alas, been hijacked by the creationists.
Originally, it referred only to the amount of time required to affect observed changes To simplify: the only difference between microevolution and macroevolution is that the latter usually takes longer The process is identical and irrefutable.
no ... not at all .. Macro = what different species did the cow evolve from ?

The Borderland of Sol

#79951 Mar 9, 2013
His-truth wrote:
"There is no evidence of "intelligence"
really ??.. tell me the difference between a rock and an Indian arrowhead
That's a variant on Paley's "Watchmaker" fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analo...
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79952 Mar 9, 2013
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, you're up and you have been up for over 10 years now. Where is your evidence for evolution.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
Remember, ours is a belief not based on scientific bumbling minds who contracdict themselves. Our evidence is in our Bible, in life itself, and demonstrated daily.
Oh? Let's see - Genesis 1 contradicts Genesis 2. Fundies claim evolution never happened even though they claim the Noah story is real which means evolution DEFINITELY happened. God is a living spirit in heaven but for us to be we have to be dead. The Earth is a flat square circle. No wait - the Earth is an oblate spheroid because the Bible is LITERALLY true, except when it's not.
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
It is you who needs time travel and to find a "black hole", just one. Sorry, it is you who has the theory of nothing, gosh you are confused by your nothing.
Actually you are confused by your lack of education.
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
Our fact is that God always ways and is Alpha and Omega, with no beginning or ending. He is beyond your theory of infinity, which you can not quantify or assign a value to.
Although your rambling makes little sense I'd just like to point out that qualified mathematicians make use of infinity in mathematical models. I won't claim to know much about it though because I'm not a math PhD. But Polymath is, so ask him about it when he shows up again, if you're interested.
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
I suggest that you try to argue your point. The relativity of time and space, the lawso of physics at the quantum mechanism level and within the center of "black holes".
Come on, we know you only have evolution religion,wich changes weekly.
Evolution relies very little on cosmology. It appears you've never heard of the distinct fields of physics, chemistry and biology.
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
We, well, we have a never changing "word of God."
Never changing is it's problem. The Bible still mentions talking lizards and donkeys long after we found out there was no such thing.

The Borderland of Sol

#79953 Mar 9, 2013
adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>You better look again. And this time, stay away from those atheist it's all fact sites.
The bubble theory of evolution is not mainstream, panspermia is not mainstream, but they exist and they are part of the scientific debate on evolution. If you can't grasp that in your little head, then go sit with the creationists in the dunce cap section.
*sigh*

Evolution is an observed fact.

The theory of evolution is an attempt to explain how it works.

Neither has anything to do with the origin of life - that's a whole nother subject.

“the end-times is now”

Location hidden

#79954 Mar 9, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
I have no interest in this idiocy.
Either make you point or forget it .. Why do you think that the theory of evolution is wrong? Do you have any evidence that disproves the theory? Are you aware of the fact that to date creationists have nothing?
you know what .. I'm actually attempting to have a civil discussion with you ... when I have a sense that you have un-clenched your teeth and fists .. I will lead the discussion to deeper levels .. until then .. I will not waste my time ... do you agree ?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#79955 Mar 9, 2013
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
<quoted text>You really are a silly nutbot. It is the idiots pretending with science, who say there was a void, a black hole or sorts. So, if you think that God requires a creator, then how do you explain the evolving process, which is based on your claim that something evolved from nothing or that something evolved from something. In any case, there had to be a creating force to start the process. Even evolution demands and requirtes a creator. Darwin said this himself. His only problem was religious, because he did not see the creator as a judge, jury and punisher, religious, not science. He simply did not wizsh to be punished.
Something doesn't evolve from "nothing," where did you learn science? From a Crackerjack box? If you are going to continue to make up assertions and tell everyone else what they think, then you are the nutjob.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79956 Mar 9, 2013
His-truth wrote:
<quoted text>
some people think of eternal as a really really really long time ... however I believe that eternal is actually a dimension where time does not exist ... where God exists .. time is not relevant or maybe does not exist at all ... evolutionist put that in your test tube ... ha !!
Actually I've pointed that out to creationists many a time when they threaten us with eternal damnation for simply disagreeing with them. They tell us that eternity is a really long time.

And I say: "No it isn't."
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79957 Mar 9, 2013
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
Clue: Physics and the laws of relativity do not exist and function with black holes, which makes all your evolution theory just junk science.
Bub, you're making 'xxxooxxx' look rational. And she's clueless.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#79958 Mar 9, 2013
His-truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You failed to answer my question, after a species changes skin coloring through evolution, can it then get a different hair covering thickness?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#79959 Mar 9, 2013
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, you're up and you have been up for over 10 years now. Where is your evidence for evolution. Remember, ours is a belief not based on scientific bumbling minds who contracdict themselves. Our evidence is in our Bible, in life itself, and demonstrated daily. It is you who needs time travel and to find a "black hole", just one. Sorry, it is you who has the theory of nothing, gosh you are confused by your nothing.
Our fact is that God always ways and is Alpha and Omega, with no beginning or ending. He is beyond your theory of infinity, which you can not quantify or assign a value to.
I suggest that you try to argue your point. The relativity of time and space, the lawso of physics at the quantum mechanism level and within the center of "black holes".
Come on, we know you only have evolution religion,wich changes weekly. We, well, we have a never changing "word of God."
I asked for evidence, not assertions. Where is the evidence that creationism, or even just your god, is reality?

“the end-times is now”

Location hidden

#79960 Mar 9, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote: Why do you think that the theory of evolution is wrong?
duh !!.. as you just claimed .. it's just a theory .. thank you very much

“the end-times is now”

Location hidden

#79961 Mar 9, 2013
The Dude wrote:
Actually I've pointed that out to creationists many a time when they threaten us with eternal damnation for simply disagreeing with them. They tell us that eternity is a really long time . And I say: "No it isn't."
I'll deal w/ you another time ..=:0]

The Borderland of Sol

#79962 Mar 9, 2013
His-truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost certainly the now-extinct aurochs.
That's a species of wild ox.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/03/cat...
adif understanding

Little Hocking, OH

#79963 Mar 9, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What is an "atheist site". I do not use atheist sites, I use science based sites.
You made a ridiculous claim and provided no evidence to support it.
Without evidence idiocy like yours is not only ignored, it is laughed at.
So once again, provide evidence for your idiocy.
Off to the corner with the dunce cap for you. If you have no idea about those claims or lack the ability to look them up, this discussion is already too technical for your abilities.

“what we think we become”

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#79964 Mar 9, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. Let's say we have a group of birds called group A. Another called B, and another called C. A are American, C are European and B travels inbetween. Group A cannot reproduce with group C because there is too much genetic divergence between the two. Hence they are considered separate species. However group B is capable of breeding with both A and C, because they are genetically close to both.
But now we have a label problem. Do we say A and B are the same species because they can interbreed? Or do we put group B with C and call them a species? Or call them all separate species even though there is little difference between A to B, and B to C? This is precisely what evolution predicted, divergence which eventually leads to separate lineages.
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_class...
Domain
Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteria
As you can see bacteria are representative of an entire biological domain. So why is it when presented with evidence of speciation you guys move the goalposts back by a factor of 7?
Could be worse. You could have been one of those dummies who say "Evolushun iz rong cuz Big Bang hahahahahaa!!!"
So if two different species cannot mate and reproduce a viable offspring with each other because of genetic divergence, what makes you think one species can mutate into another?

So the bacteria is all the evidence you got? What species did the bacteria evolve into? You are describing evidence for natural selection in the e. coli bacteria and not evidence for speciation.

Everett, WA

#79965 Mar 9, 2013
His-truth wrote:
<quoted text>
you know what .. I'm actually attempting to have a civil discussion with you ... when I have a sense that you have un-clenched your teeth and fists .. I will lead the discussion to deeper levels .. until then .. I will not waste my time ... do you agree ?
Then don't repeat foolishness. I told you that I really don't care about your claim of life being triune.

So let's have a civil discussion.

Why don't you believe the theory of evolution?

Do you realize that creationists have nothing except for lies and failed claims?

Most creationists have no idea what qualifies as evidence. Nor are they even willing to learn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump claims witch hunt, says he's most hounded... 2 min Drumpf Disaster 399
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghostmoron 1,535,802
News Obama in Berlin: 'We Can't Hide Behind a Wall' 2 min Trump is a joke 37
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min Trump your President 2,570
News Hillary Clinton to address Wellesley College gr... 3 min Lawrence Wolf 11
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min RiccardoFire 270,161
News Republican wins Montana election despite assaul... 4 min BB Board 13
News James Comey fired as FBI director 5 min Ronald 2,741
More from around the web