Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 219579 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

rider

Gwinn, MI

#51319 Oct 9, 2012
Smoke, Mirrors and Disinformation…

The Compromised Ties of the Apologetics Ministries

THE SPIRITUAL COUNTERFEITS PROJECT

http://watch.pair.com/cult-scp4.html

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#51320 Oct 9, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
Debating evolution is like debating the tooth fairy.
Neither exist so why would I bother?
:)
"Stuff's gettin better"

Dunning-Kruger effect.
MIDutch

Sterling Heights, MI

#51321 Oct 9, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that was boring.
Not as boring as certain 2000+ year old bronze age, goat herder FAIRY TALES told over and over and over ... and over and over and over again.

“Stuffs gettin better ”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#51322 Oct 9, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dunning-Kruger effect.
Ancient aliens effect.

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

UK

#51323 Oct 9, 2012
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were not functionally illiterate, you would have understood by now that the premisse of evolution as religion is based upon quoting out of context.
That thus any self-respecting person would not use the term anymore, after having learned the error of his purposely misled ways.
Thank you! Thank you so much!!!! You know what is and isn't religion.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#51324 Oct 9, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said there was proof.
I said there is as much proof as there is that Man evolved from apes.
LOL
"Stuff's gettin better"

Every run for president, President Starky?

UK

#51325 Oct 9, 2012
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Fox News columnist Sally Kohn, vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan's speech at the Republican National Convention on Wednesday "was an apparent attempt to set the world record for the greatest number of blatant lies and misrepresentations slipped into a single political speech."
"On this measure, while it was Romney who ran the Olympics, Ryan earned the gold," Kohn wrote.
In a surprising move, Fox News joined CNN, The Huffington Post, the Washington Post's Wonkblog, and ThinkProgress in publishing a fact-check of the Republican vice presidential nominee's speech, finding that the speech was full of lies and misleading assertions.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/fox -...
I know we usely get this.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#51326 Oct 9, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no genetic connection between Neanderthal and modern Man.
In 1999, the skeleton of a child was unearthed in Lapido, Portugal. Dated to around 25,000 years ago, the remains show a mixture of Neanderthal and modern features, suggesting it may be a hybrid. But small fragments of Neanderthal DNA extracted from three different specimens show that they were not closely related to any present day human populations.
The global paleoanthropological and archaeological picture changed dramatically with the sudden and unexpected appearance of Homo Sapiens Sapiens (Cro-Magnon or Modern Man).
There has been a great deal of effort by evolutionists in the last century to "construct" an evolutionary link between Neanderthals and Cro-magnons, but to date, none has ever been proven to be accurate or true. Several of the attempts were actually proven to be deliberate frauds.
NOTE: The oldest “prehistoric” cave drawings and paintings, petroglyphs and other forms of stone art are estimated to be from 20,000 years ago. Many of the academic community have inaccurately portrayed the early artists as Neanderthal man, but Neanderthals were virtually exterminated by our Cro-Magnon ancestors 25-50,000 years ago.
http://www.ancestryofman.com/annihilation.htm...

Genetics says we are related (unless you have 100% pure African genes).
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#51327 Oct 9, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that was boring.
Spambot.

UK

#51328 Oct 9, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, a UFO site. That's certainly gonna boost your credibility!
I... er saw one... it was called the H.M.S Bulls***...
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#51329 Oct 9, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
Ancient aliens effect.
Spambot!

“Stuffs gettin better ”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#51330 Oct 9, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I just don't have the capacity for being dishonest, so I would never run for political office.
Why?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#51331 Oct 9, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
Debating evolution is like debating the tooth fairy.
Neither exist so why would I bother?
Because you don't have the education.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#51332 Oct 9, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is a religion.
Except for the pesky problem of scientific evidence, testable hypotheses and successful scientific predictions.

Don't worry, no other fundie on here has dealt with it either, no reason you should have to.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#51333 Oct 9, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, now you mention it there does seem to be a striking similarity...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#51334 Oct 9, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
I just don't have the capacity for being dishonest, so I would never run for political office.
Why?
Of course! Except for the fact that you've already BEEN dishonest. You'd make a perfect politician!
1 post removed

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#51336 Oct 9, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly. The genetic record shows clear markers that support mutation events happening over time. That is to say, you'll always find mutation A with mutation B because B happened before A. Genetic crossover is the only way to shuffle the deck regarding markers.
No, I wasn't there. That does not mean that later Neanderthals didn't crossbreed with modern humans. It tends to suggest that Neanderthal mutations were not particularly of value to modern human adaptive strategies and were largely weeded out of the gene pool over time. Since we don't have a very complete record of Neanderthal genetics, we really don't have a complete list of all of the inherited traits that survived.
Sorry, that's just one of those problems I tend to have with the scientific community. I don't like them to presume so much. It does suggest a certain prejudice on their part.
Even though i allready explained my point of view on neanderthal gens and Denizovan genes, i feel inclined to go back to basics here.

During reproduction, first occurs recombination (or crossover). Genes from parents form in some way the whole new chromosome. The new created offspring can then be mutated. Mutation means, that the elements of DNA are a bit changed. This changes are mainly caused by errors in copying genes from parents.

The fitness of an organism is measured by success of the organism in its life.

And basicly by the linking distance. A 50 % crossover rate would be an optimum. There are nice algoritm sites that explain it on all sorts of levels.

And no i do not have the information available, so i could not make any statement as to successfull crossover or mutation (usually phenotype expressed).
10 posts removed
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#51347 Oct 9, 2012
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though i allready explained my point of view on neanderthal gens and Denizovan genes, i feel inclined to go back to basics here.
During reproduction, first occurs recombination (or crossover). Genes from parents form in some way the whole new chromosome. The new created offspring can then be mutated. Mutation means, that the elements of DNA are a bit changed. This changes are mainly caused by errors in copying genes from parents.
The fitness of an organism is measured by success of the organism in its life.
And basicly by the linking distance. A 50 % crossover rate would be an optimum. There are nice algoritm sites that explain it on all sorts of levels.
And no i do not have the information available, so i could not make any statement as to successfull crossover or mutation (usually phenotype expressed).
I'm no expert on crossover either. As I've read, there are specific points in the genes where this can happen, so I guess you can make mathematical predictions. I don't know the numbers for crossover events vs. basic mutations. It just seems to me that you can have crossover "A" happening at one point, crossover "B" happening at another point. If a mutation occurs between the two, you can misidentify a Neanderthal trait as an independent mutation.

There's an awful lot of genetic code to map. When they say they've mapped the genome, I really doubt they've tracked everything down to its complete purpose.
4 posts removed

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#51352 Oct 9, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
Oh that's a good one! Now all you need is practice. No one here would believe that lie, and odds are that no one you know personally would believe it either.

By the way, did you get a special dispensation from your church that allows you to break the ninth commandment without fear of punishment?

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#51353 Oct 9, 2012
Benjamin Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you! Thank you so much!!!! You know what is and isn't religion.
LOL
The trick is to compartimentalize.
Most religious people can't do that, for it means unlearning.
But that is probably because certain forms of religere-binding are so muddled, bordering on the illogical but still following an apparently logical chain of events, that they leave little room for a overhaul. It would take a conscious mental effort.
And not in the least overcoming prejudice and having intellectual curiosity.

I saw your piece on Iraq.
I was reminded of having a discussion with an Ahmadiya, a salafya (Purists mecca verses only, though that is no guarantee and will frankly never happen), and a salafya-wahabi.
Only the first is truly capable of an extended discussion.
MI Dutch had a similar list cruising all faiths for comparison.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 2 min Soetoro 1,200
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Garthok 1,496,497
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 min Jacques Ottawa 237,196
News Being conservative is not being racist 11 min Barros con ganas 486
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 15 min Laughing At Trump 258,909
News Trump supporters cheer his combative stance wit... 21 min TRUMP 45 125
News Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn r... 23 min swampmudd 304
Donald J Trump, our next president (Mar '16) 36 min mdbuilder 2,525
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 49 min Trump won grow up 5,797
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 hr -Dont Panic- 412,491
More from around the web