Obama seeking ways to block AIG bonuses

Mar 16, 2009 | Posted by: Iria | Full story: www.msnbc.msn.com

President Barack Obama said Monday the government will try to block millions of dollars in bonuses for American International Group Inc. executives, calling the payments "an outrage to the taxpayers" who bailed out the giant insurer.

"In the last six months, AIG has received substantial sums from the U.S. Treasury. I've asked Secretary Geithner to use that leverage and pursue every legal avenue to block these bonuses and make the American taxpayers whole," Obama said.

Comments
1,081 - 1,090 of 1,090 Comments Last updated Jul 31, 2013
First Prev
of 55
Next Last

“French Cocoa Party”

Since: Jan 08

Keynesian Fields

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1157
Apr 14, 2009
 
GunnySteve wrote:
<quoted text>
Not talking about Clinton. Stop trying to change the subject.
I'm speaking specifically about the seven years that Bush administration has a complete Republican controlling stranglehold on the entire federal government and did NOTHING to fix America's financial problems and only worsened the situation through reckless spending, abject lack of oversight, zero accountability, and more graft, greed and corruption than anyone could think humanly possible.
From 2000 to 2007, Republicans controlled the White House, Senate, House of Representatives, Pentagon, Supreme Court and Justice Department.
What's your excuse for Republicans' abject failure to balance the budget, fix Social Security, fix Medicare/Medicaid, expose and reduce the gluttony of the medical insurance industry, reign in federal spending, eliminate contract fraud, create and enforce tougher/higher fuel efficiency requirements, reduce dependency on foreign oil, reduce job outsourcing, or enforce border security?
All of these factors have led directly to the current economic recession/depression of 2009, and the Republicans had ABSOLUTELY NO OPPOSITION for SEVEN CONSECUTIVE YEARS and accomplished NONE of the above.
Spin that.
I know exactly what you mean.

And its getting worse. When does Obama take over?

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/14/pf/taxes/_fed...

“Socialism = trickle up poverty”

Since: Mar 09

All over America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1158
Apr 14, 2009
 
arbitrageur wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wait until taxes are 50% of your paycheck, then socialism will be in question. Until then, a move to Cuba is now available. Make $19.70 a week average working for the government, as just about everyone does.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090414/ap_on_re_...
Do you realize that for many Americans a 46% tax is ALREADY a reality?
Consider this:
If the median income tax is 31%
and the payroll tax is 15%
you are being taxed at 46% and that does not include state and local taxes OR sales tax.

“Do not question obozo!!!!!!!!!”

Since: Jun 08

Miami

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1159
Apr 19, 2009
 
GunnySteve wrote:
<quoted text>
Not talking about Clinton. Stop trying to change the subject.
I'm speaking specifically about the seven years that Bush administration has a complete Republican controlling stranglehold on the entire federal government and did NOTHING to fix America's financial problems and only worsened the situation through reckless spending, abject lack of oversight, zero accountability, and more graft, greed and corruption than anyone could think humanly possible.
From 2000 to 2007, Republicans controlled the White House, Senate, House of Representatives, Pentagon, Supreme Court and Justice Department.
What's your excuse for Republicans' abject failure to balance the budget, fix Social Security, fix Medicare/Medicaid, expose and reduce the gluttony of the medical insurance industry, reign in federal spending, eliminate contract fraud, create and enforce tougher/higher fuel efficiency requirements, reduce dependency on foreign oil, reduce job outsourcing, or enforce border security?
All of these factors have led directly to the current economic recession/depression of 2009, and the Republicans had ABSOLUTELY NO OPPOSITION for SEVEN CONSECUTIVE YEARS and accomplished NONE of the above.
Spin that.
My reply is repubs are out of touch but not as far out in nutsville as your libs! Clean house I say! Every damn one of them!

www.goooh.com
Stoneman

Pike Ntl Forest, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1160
Apr 20, 2009
 
arbitrageur wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wait until taxes are 50% of your paycheck, then socialism will be in question. Until then, a move to Cuba is now available. Make $19.70 a week average working for the government, as just about everyone does.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090414/ap_on_re_...
Sad part is more and more Americans would gladly sacrifice their freedoms and wealth to get security and predictability.

They don't want to risk. They want a benevolent gubbermint to pick them up when they fall, smooth out all the bad times, provide for all of their basic needs.

It's almost as if a segment of society never grows up. They want a mommy to fix their boo-boos, make sure they are fed, protect them from scary things.

I hope when we get to the end of this socialization process the people that need mothering are happy with the result: much lower standard of living, much less freedom.

I'm not looking forward to it.

“Socialism = trickle up poverty”

Since: Mar 09

All over America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1161
Apr 20, 2009
 
Stoneman wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad part is more and more Americans would gladly sacrifice their freedoms and wealth to get security and predictability.
They don't want to risk. They want a benevolent gubbermint to pick them up when they fall, smooth out all the bad times, provide for all of their basic needs.
It's almost as if a segment of society never grows up. They want a mommy to fix their boo-boos, make sure they are fed, protect them from scary things.
I hope when we get to the end of this socialization process the people that need mothering are happy with the result: much lower standard of living, much less freedom.
I'm not looking forward to it.
Then fight back!!
scott

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1162
May 5, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

this is total BULLSHI#!!!! Obama is a complete moronic idiot!!!!!!!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1163
Sep 9, 2011
 
Wish he could figure out how to make the A.G. work.
1 post removed

Since: Jul 11

Laurel, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1165
Jul 28, 2013
 
Biwi wrote:
Does anyone here think that these politicians are serious about their outrage over AIG bonus. It is pretended outrage for public consumption. The fact is that the politicians are in league with the financial institutions to legally steal from the tax payers. Momies are then funneled into institutions that these politicians will then benefit from.
The entire plan is a systimatic destruction of the current commercial apparatus so that they can institute a new one to their benefit. How about a unification of South Central and North America with one currency?
Do you think I am joking?
Stay tuned....Wall Street is not finished rocking yet.
you wont get bailed out in Norway/Swe/Den you'll die first!-just kidding

Since: Jul 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1166
Jul 31, 2013
 
"Im worried about the widening gap between the rich and the poor" Paulson Treasury Secretary and former Goldman Sachs Exec
basssleman

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1167
Jul 31, 2013
 
youtube.com/watch...
good about time

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 55
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••