On Martha's Vineyard, a stark look at...

On Martha's Vineyard, a stark look at income inequality

There are 282 comments on the The Washington Post story from Aug 17, 2013, titled On Martha's Vineyard, a stark look at income inequality. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

Once a month, on a street of picture-perfect clapboard houses, white picket fences and fluttering American flags, families gather in this wealthy Massachusetts enclave for a lifeline.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#43 Aug 18, 2013
thenycommie wrote:
<quoted text>
However, I never viewed her as seriously talented.
Carly Simon seemed pretty accomplished to me - for starters her 1988 hit "Let the River Run" was the first song in history to win a Grammy Award, an Academy Award, and a Golden Globe Award for a song both written and performed by a single artist.

She also writes songs and books which seems to be an accomplishment too.
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#44 Aug 18, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
What rubbish you guys talk. President Obama was well edewwwwcated, Columbia and Harvard alumni, president of Harvard Law Review, civil rights attorney, constitutional law professor, community organizer, senator and president (voted in TWICE by WE THE PEOPLE - read the TWICE again).

You need to update his resume, renew his cv and modernize his curriculum vitae (look it up) before you spew your nonsense.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#45 Aug 18, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
What rubbish you guys talk. President Obama was well edewwwwcated, Columbia and Harvard alumni, president of Harvard Law Review, civil rights attorney, constitutional law professor, community organizer, senator and president (voted in TWICE by WE THE PEOPLE - read the TWICE again).
You need to update his resume, renew his cv and modernize his curriculum vitae (look it up) before you spew your nonsense.
You need to understand that edumacation isn't intelligence.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#46 Aug 18, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
no, it certainly isn't, but the facts i presented you show your idiotic statement of dumb or dumber wasn't based on any kind of reality...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#47 Aug 18, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
We have you, as a reference along those lines....
serfs up

Ormond Beach, FL

#48 Aug 18, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
All of those things don't mean anything anymore. It hasn't for decades. Being at a place has taken precedent over being great at what we do. To you he is great. He is great due to skin color. For he is abysmal to most of the working class. Even as many of the ones he screws over voted for him. The next persident is going to be the recipient of massive protests from his own voters after he leaves and the bills come do. We will go from good guy Obama to definitely bad guy Repub even if in his first year when it hits the fan. If its a Dem president, it will be the repub congress that get blamed by the progressives and did all of the massive tax increases the working class will be enjoying.he could have been better. A man of the people. Instead the clown of the agenda and elitist war monger.
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#49 Aug 18, 2013
serfs up wrote:
<quoted text> All of those things don't mean anything anymore.
Dear, edewwwwcation, university degrees, law school degrees, work experience and qualifications mean something.

I agree - anyone can post on topix without all or any of the above but in the real world they matter.

Try again ...

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#50 Aug 18, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
"We the people" only consisted of 61% of the registered voters.
Had the other 39% voted, chances are better than good that Obama bin Lyin' would not have been elected.
Coulda shoulda woulda......

You don't vote, you don't get a say in who is elected.
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#51 Aug 18, 2013
serfs up wrote:
<quoted text> We will go from good guy Obama to definitely bad guy Repub even if in his first year when it hits the fan.
Which "bad guy repub" do you think has a hells chance of winning the next presidency? LOLL

Tawas City, Michigan

#52 Aug 18, 2013
See the Light wrote:
<quoted text>You neglected to say how you Dems had to lie and cheat to get him elected. Illegals, dead people, and voting several times instead of once. Something to be proud of for you!
Sounds like you have a severe case of sore-loserism.....

I look forward to making you apoplectic (google it) when we elect Hillary as the next President in 2016!
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#53 Aug 18, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Well "edumacation)? goes a helluva long way to finishing school, graduating, getting accepted into college and your job prospects.

It shows you have a semblance of "intelligence" to think these things are important.

Tawas City, Michigan

#54 Aug 18, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
Democrats have noting to be proud of in their first black President. He flouts the very law he swore to uphold, and he has an A G that is just like him. The weekend is half over, and in Chicago there are 4 dead, and 14 wounded. The President needs to send in the troops. Do you ever remember that chaos during the Bush Administration. President's lead by example. Now they are talking about Jeb Bush running for President in 2016. I didn't agree, but my God, anything is better then this.
Wow, 4 whole people dead? Out of a population of 2.7 million people?

Oh dear, better call out the National Guard!

More people die from choking on their bubble gum each day.
serfs up

Ormond Beach, FL

#55 Aug 18, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear, edewwwwcation, university degrees, law school degrees, work experience and qualifications mean something.
I agree - anyone can post on topix without all or any of the above but in the real world they matter.
Try again ...
No. They don't mean anything because people can get fake degrees or be pushed through curriculums. I will say this. Having an ivy league school push you through will get doors open. this does not mean you don't have intelligence, it just means it is hard to believe what the best is from what we are told. I constantly read stories about people who get caught at something or are just that good and when investigated their education is suspect also. Just like there are those with questionable degrees who are great at what they do. Either way, we each will believe what we think is right.

St. Croix valley

#56 Aug 18, 2013
serfs up wrote:
<quoted text> No. They don't mean anything because people can get fake degrees or be pushed through curriculums. I will say this. Having an ivy league school push you through will get doors open. this does not mean you don't have intelligence, it just means it is hard to believe what the best is from what we are told. I constantly read stories about people who get caught at something or are just that good and when investigated their education is suspect also. Just like there are those with questionable degrees who are great at what they do. Either way, we each will believe what we think is right.
yes, but those with those degrees that actually do shit with their lives, instead of wasting oxygen like you did your whole life, clearly do have intelligence.
clearly, you do not.
See the Light

El Paso, TX

#57 Aug 18, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Educated by AFFIRMITIVE ACTION. His grades wern't good, cause they were sealed up until 2030.a
serfs up

Ormond Beach, FL

#58 Aug 18, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, but those with those degrees that actually do shit with their lives, instead of wasting oxygen like you did your whole life, clearly do have intelligence.
clearly, you do not.
Go to the city young kanootie doer. Learn the ways of the "system masters". Learn how people get "paid". Learn the ways of the "farce". Learn the ways of corruption, stealing, indifference and entitlement. But keep your " anus seeking light saber" to yourself. They will kill you. I promise. After spending enough time there you will earn a degree that is not hung on a wall. The degree of life. A lesson for you. A lesson in the humanities that you desperately need. Perhaps to be humbled by a monster that cares very little for you. Fencewalkers....be careful for these fools will get you killed.
Who

Grand Rapids, MI

#59 Aug 18, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
Jesus, you guys whine - dears there will always be rich folks and there will always be you.
At least this president was not born with a silver spoon/legacy and he had to work for it!
Sucks, doesn't it?!
"there will always be rich folks and there will always be you" - if this statement is true then why do liberal think they can somehow make everything 'fair'?

So you admit there is no such thing as a 'level playing field', and there never will be.

Typical liberal circluar "thinking".
Who

Grand Rapids, MI

#60 Aug 18, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, but those with those degrees that actually do shit with their lives, instead of wasting oxygen like you did your whole life, clearly do have intelligence.
clearly, you do not.
All having a degree proves it that you can take orders from some aged, hippy "professor" that may have been and idiot himself. You only know what he or she knows, if they were stupid then so are you.

There is no "free thinking" in colleges and universities.

St. Croix valley

#61 Aug 18, 2013
serfs up wrote:
<quoted text> Go to the city young kanootie doer. Learn the ways of the "system masters". Learn how people get "paid". Learn the ways of the "farce". Learn the ways of corruption, stealing, indifference and entitlement. But keep your " anus seeking light saber" to yourself. They will kill you. I promise. After spending enough time there you will earn a degree that is not hung on a wall. The degree of life. A lesson for you. A lesson in the humanities that you desperately need. Perhaps to be humbled by a monster that cares very little for you. Fencewalkers....be careful for these fools will get you killed.
i work in the city all summer. i lived their most of my life.

i am just educated by the real world, not by the fantasies you call reality... i understand that you wish the system that you failed at completely to fail, it would somehow justify your failure in your mind...

but we are doing just fine in the real world...sad you were not up to joining us...
serfs up

Ormond Beach, FL

#62 Aug 18, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i work in the city all summer. i lived their most of my life.
i am just educated by the real world, not by the fantasies you call reality... i understand that you wish the system that you failed at completely to fail, it would somehow justify your failure in your mind...
but we are doing just fine in the real world...sad you were not up to joining us...
You are the master of Detroit. Just like I sensed. Well done my young builder. The future is bright with this one. I can see Canada from my crib. By the time you are done. We will be systematically reduced to a third world nation in many parts of our nation. We will have pockets of first world wealth that many will move to and we will be controlled by a vicious second world totalitarian government with very little respect for life. Now talk about a "party of yes".....Enjoy, for you destroyed!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min southerngirl 1,660,630
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min cpeter1313 322,468
News Democrats silent on whether Trump should resign... 5 min Julia 148
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min youareadufus 47,520
News Prince Harry interviews Barack Obama 6 min Chilli J 34
News Many Christian conservatives are backing Alabam... 19 min Chicagoan by Birth 1,512
News Tax bill boosts oil, gas drilling a " and renew... 25 min Solarman 16
More from around the web