Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 309952 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#312347 Sep 29, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Now "Ink," you must remind yourself, that's why God invented cats--to sit in the places that are least convenient for you, to sprawl themselves in doorways where you're bound to trip over them, to wake you up whenever they're in the mood to play, or cuddle, and to thoroughly ignore you or give you a look of utter contempt whenever you want to cuddle with them.
I have many thoughts on the new Pope. Some good, some not-so-good.
I definitely like his style of not living in the papal quarters, of "practicing what he preaches" when he talks about humility. I like the fact that he wants to be more "inclusive." I dislike the fact--and this probably isn't his fault at all--that while he feels the church spends too much time focusing on abortion and homosexuality. Of course, the recent reports that he's just excommunicated a priest who'd--I believe, but could be wrong--spoken in favor of "gay marriage" is something of a mark against him in my book.
But, that's only "my" book and matters to nobody else than yours truly.
All in all though, I'd definitely say he's a major improvement.
Sheesh!

Sorry "Ink," that reply was interrupted by a phone call and my response to thoughts about the new Pope should have read,

"I definitely like his style of not living in the papal quarters, of "practicing what he preaches" when he talks about humility. I like the fact that he wants to be more "inclusive." I dislike the fact--and this probably isn't his fault at all--that while he feels the church spends too much time focusing on abortion and homosexuality, the recent reports that he's just excommunicated a priest who'd--I believe, but could be wrong--spoken in favor of "gay marriage" is something of a mark against him in my book."

Mea culpa!

;P

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#312348 Sep 29, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I do?
Yes.
Ink

Wynnewood, PA

#312349 Sep 29, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Sheesh!
Sorry "Ink," that reply was interrupted by a phone call and my response to thoughts about the new Pope should have read,
"I definitely like his style of not living in the papal quarters, of "practicing what he preaches" when he talks about humility. I like the fact that he wants to be more "inclusive." I dislike the fact--and this probably isn't his fault at all--that while he feels the church spends too much time focusing on abortion and homosexuality, the recent reports that he's just excommunicated a priest who'd--I believe, but could be wrong--spoken in favor of "gay marriage" is something of a mark against him in my book."
Mea culpa!
;P
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2013/09/...

Hears the story and I don't think he should be a priest or even a Catholic. There are limits to tolerance even for the most tolerant.
He has done a lot more in direct opposition to the Church than just speak in favor of gay marriage. He represents the Church and obviously can't do that adequetely.

The Church is always going to believe that you shouldn't kill babies inutero and that marriage is for a man and a woman.

Why is it that gays want to change the definition of marriage when they have all the rights they want in a civil union?
Pot meet Kettle

United States

#312350 Sep 29, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Heck, don't sugar-coat it like that!
Tell us how you really feel...
Yeah...I know that might have been a little over the top and sometimes I do have a tendency to cross that anti-Christian bias line, but that can be attributed to my sexual frustration. You see I've never had a real woman. Oh sure I can spank the monkey with the best of them but there is no substitute to getting some real stank on your hang low. My little guy is sore from being yanked so much. Would one of you fellow pro choicers want give me a pity screw ? I know most of you are a little long in the tooth but I'll take some cobweb covered poontang over no poontang at all.

Location hidden

#312351 Sep 29, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Hears the story and I don't think he should be a priest or even a Catholic. There are limits to tolerance even for the most tolerant.
He has done a lot more in direct opposition to the Church than just speak in favor of gay marriage. He represents the Church and obviously can't do that adequetely.
The Church is always going to believe that you shouldn't kill babies inutero and that marriage is for a man and a woman.
Why is it that gays want to change the definition of marriage when they have all the rights they want in a civil union?
I read the article, but I'm not sure I fully got its meaning--he was excommunicated because of his position regarding the ordination of women rather than his position on gay marriage?

I think we're at something of a crossroads here my friend.

Gay people don't want to change the definition of marriage, they simply want the same rights and privileges as every other couple who wants to get married with regards to our current legal system.
I'm afraid I have to disagree with your assertion that;

"He represents the Church and obviously can't do that adequetely."

The "Church" has been notorious for "dragging its heels" when it comes to "getting with the times."
How long, exactly, did it take for them to accept Galileo's "Helio-centric theory?"

I completely "get" that the Church will never condone abortion, but to offhandedly state that "contraception" is a "mortal sin" is utterly nonsensical IMHO.

Whenever I hear/read something of that sort, I feel a need to watch the skit from Monty Python's "The Meaning Of Life," "Every Sperm Is Sacred..."

Color me "Jaded..."

Location hidden

#312352 Sep 29, 2013
Pot meet Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah...I know that might have been a little over the top and sometimes I do have a tendency to cross that anti-Christian bias line, but that can be attributed to my sexual frustration. You see I've never had a real woman. Oh sure I can spank the monkey with the best of them but there is no substitute to getting some real stank on your hang low. My little guy is sore from being yanked so much. Would one of you fellow pro choicers want give me a pity screw ? I know most of you are a little long in the tooth but I'll take some cobweb covered poontang over no poontang at all.
You must be a "Devil" with the Ladies...!

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#312353 Sep 29, 2013
We aren't changing the definition of marriage; we are changing access. Legally speaking, there is no difference at all between a same-sex marriage and an opposite-sex one.

All the rights we WANT? I'm an american citizen I demand all the rights other citizens have--like the constitution demands.

Civil unions? Not recognized by other states or the federal government. Rarely hold up in court. And totally unnecessary since we already HAVE a legal contract to protect a committed couples' rights and enforce their responsibilities. We didn't create a "separate but equal" form of marriage for interracial couples; there's no reason to have one for gays.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
2 posts removed

Location hidden

#312356 Sep 29, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>A same sex marriage doesn't have God .
Why not...?

Because it's written in the Bible that homosexuality is wrong?

Those passages were taken from the Old Testament, and it wasn't until the so-called "Letters of Paul" that they made their way into the New Testament. Jesus himself--according to the Gospels--never spoke of the "rightness," or "wrongness" of homosexuality.

His basic message was;
"Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.
Love your neighbor as you'd love yourself."
1 post removed
feces for jesus

East Meadow, NY

#312358 Sep 29, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought that was a list of positives for a godless free thinking society. LOL
You see what you want to see.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#312359 Sep 29, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the article, but I'm not sure I fully got its meaning--he was excommunicated because of his position regarding the ordination of women rather than his position on gay marriage?
Gay people don't want to change the definition of marriage, they simply want the same rights and privileges as every other couple who wants to get married with regards to our current legal system.
The "Church" has been notorious for "dragging its heels" when it comes to "getting with the times."
How long, exactly, did it take for them to accept Galileo's "Helio-centric theory?"
I completely "get" that the Church will never condone abortion, but to offhandedly state that "contraception" is a "mortal sin" is utterly nonsensical IMHO.
Whenever I hear/read something of that sort, I feel a need to watch the skit from Monty Python's "The Meaning Of Life," "Every Sperm Is Sacred..."
Color me "Jaded..."
One of my favorites. I've got it as a caller-ID ring tone for all my Catholic friends....

:)

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#312360 Sep 29, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Really, lets see, you called Catholics kat licks... now is that loving your neighbor? Now if you did your research , We as Catholics know that acting on a same sex attraction is a mortal sin, goes against what God wants. God made man and woman to compliment each other. Read about it in Genesis. God created man and woman to produce offspring. How can two women have a child the way God intended? They can't pro create can they. This is why ssm is wrong. Christ didn't speak of homosexuality because it was very evil according to Jews .
"God created man and woman to produce offspring. How can two women have a child the way God intended? They can't pro create can they."

Going by that logic, as has been repeatedly pointed out to you and your fellow kat-licks, God apparently doesn't want older people, or people who cannot have kids. to get married, either.

It's highly offensive to say that marriage is only for procreation, and it's ridiculous that you push adoption as a cure for abortion, but would deny untold numbers of kids families, because you would deny same-sex couples the right to adopt.

You kat-licks are pretty screwed up.

Location hidden

#312361 Sep 29, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Really, lets see, you called Catholics kat licks... now is that loving your neighbor? Now if you did your research , We as Catholics know that acting on a same sex attraction is a mortal sin, goes against what God wants. God made man and woman to compliment each other. Read about it in Genesis. God created man and woman to produce offspring. How can two women have a child the way God intended? They can't pro create can they. This is why ssm is wrong. Christ didn't speak of homosexuality because it was very evil according to Jews .
Sigh...

Good evening "Knit."

As always, your inability to fully comprehend another person's post is painted in vivid "technicolor" on the Topix screen for all of us to view and groan at.
I did not refer to anyone as "kat-licks."
I was responding to another poster who did so in a rather sarcastic fashion.
I know sarcasm isn't as apparent online as it is in person but even you ought to have gotten that one "Knit."

I also know that this is my fault for having the foolish momentary thought that you'd be able to reply in something that resembled a "thoughtful" manner.
:(

Now, sorry to say, I do not view you as either a Christian, or a Catholic--your behavior on here proves that you're nothing other than a religious fundamentalist, with the barest of understandings of your own "religion."

All you're capable of doing is "braying" what you've been taught as though you actually believe it.

My apologies for disturbing your "slumber."

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#312362 Sep 29, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
Correction: I called YOU a 'kat-lick'. You're a breed unto yourself.
Not being a Christian, I don't have to worry that "god" will punish me for calling you a Katlick. But I am free to wonder if he's not punishing YOU, for being a disgrace to your faith... by keeping you here, day after day, under a pile of abuse from "neighbors" you spend days on end not 'loving'.
You're a joke, knut. Your God laughs at you, and your presence here is Him giving you endless noogies.
Next...
kc

Hartford, CT

#312363 Sep 29, 2013
Let's see.. rape victim (old/young) pregnant by rapist wants to get rid of fetus, due to traumatic event.-Anti-abortionist say no, pier-pressures & suggest counseling . Person keeps rapist baby, hates baby cause it's a reminder, person is suffering from PTSD, gives unwanted baby away & kills themselves. Congrats you assisted a person in ending there life & putting a baby in a foster care system to then become a lost cause anyways.
1 post removed

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#312365 Sep 29, 2013
kc wrote:
Let's see.. rape victim (old/young) pregnant by rapist wants to get rid of fetus, due to traumatic event.-Anti-abortionist say no, pier-pressures & suggest counseling . Person keeps rapist baby, hates baby cause it's a reminder, person is suffering from PTSD, gives unwanted baby away & kills themselves. Congrats you assisted a person in ending there life & putting a baby in a foster care system to then become a lost cause anyways.
They
Don't
Care.

The so-called 'pro-life'(who are in reality 'pro-control' and 'pro-fetus') aren't remotely interested in QUALITY of life...they're in it for quantity, and they don't care what the actual outcome of any given life is, as long as it's born.
Ocean56

AOL

#312366 Sep 30, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
They
Don't
Care.
The so-called 'pro-life'(who are in reality 'pro-control' and 'pro-fetus') aren't remotely interested in QUALITY of life...they're in it for quantity, and they don't care what the actual outcome of any given life is, as long as it's born.
Exactly. Anti-choice fanatics like Knutter, Sassy and company are all the same. They all want women FORCED to gestate those pregnancies and for more babies to be born. After that, they couldn't care less what happens to them.
1 post removed

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#312368 Sep 30, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>I have to say that for someone who thinks she is open minded and everything goes, you really very bigoted and narrow minded. I feel so sorry for you.
LOL, projection, pure projection. You are the one who is narrow-minded and bigoted.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#312369 Sep 30, 2013
Some same-sex marriages have church weddings, some don't--just like hetero marriages. All we are discussing is CIVIL marriage--what happens in churches is up to the sect and the couple.

There are christian sects that DO marry gay couples. Maybe they know something you don't.
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>A same sex marriage doesn't have God .
grumpy

Pomona, NY

#312370 Sep 30, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not...?
Because it's written in the Bible that homosexuality is wrong?
Those passages were taken from the Old Testament, and it wasn't until the so-called "Letters of Paul" that they made their way into the New Testament. Jesus himself--according to the Gospels--never spoke of the "rightness," or "wrongness" of homosexuality.
His basic message was;
"Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.
Love your neighbor as you'd love yourself.
Those are grumpy's messages!
Do unto others etc. is for your favorite masochist.
Love your neighbor etc. is for your neighbor who enjoys masturbating.
Ink

Wynnewood, PA

#312371 Sep 30, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Color me "Jaded..."
He was excommunicated for many reasons mostly publically advocting a stance abjectly different from the Church. It's like the CEO of Verizon placing ads for people to sign up with Comcast. That CEO might as well get a job with Comcast.

I believe that civil unions afford those rights. I believe they will not be satisfied until marriage means between any consenting adults.

We well just have to see where 'getting with the times' takes us. I don't think the Church wants to go there.
BTW the Church has acknowledged that their condemnation of Galileo was wrong but I ask you how many people believed his theory in the 1600's?
The Jesuits are famous for their studies of astronomy and have some of the most sophisticaed equipment.

And finally, were is it written that using contrception is a mortal sin? I am not aware of that. In fact I have always understood that policies of the Church are just that policies but we all have a conscience and are expected to use it in our lives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RoxLo 1,234,645
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min sandy1 328,721
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min FastandFurious 190,304
News 'They created these people': Rand Paul blames G... 9 min mjjcpa 68
News Republican Wyoming on board with federal sage g... 14 min Sterkfontein Swar... 2
News Huckabee: I would ask Clinton about Benghazi 18 min mjjcpa 309
News Poll: Hillary Clinton most admired woman 22 min Le Jimbo 1,119
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 25 min Le Jimbo 2,498
News Ireland same-sex marriage 28 min Le Jimbo 356
More from around the web