Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 311343 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Pro-Life”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#264144 Oct 15, 2012
Pluto is a planet wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not very common, but eulogies are done once in awhile.
Much more than once in awhile. It's been done at every Catholic funeral I've been too, and I've been to more than just a few.

“qui tacet consentire ”

Since: Oct 12

Detroit

#264145 Oct 15, 2012
Pluto is a planet wrote:
<quoted text>
I think a legally defined viability is unrealistic. Each individual situation will be different. I'm sure statistically every day that passes in the later stages of a pregnancy increases the probability of viability.
The legal definition of "viable" as it stands now is Roe v Wade's, and it did include references to medical definitions, which included "albeit by artificial aide". What is relivent in changing that would be challenges to it findings on such grounds to over turn that part, but until that part is successfully challenged than it is what matter in abortion law. Roe v Wade erred on the side of caution and set "viability" at the earliest known possibility for the time,(1973), which was 24 weeks at that time. It didn't set a rigid time in the pregnancy for viability, it was about ensuring that any possible "viable" fetus could be protected by a State if it wished to do so.

“qui tacet consentire ”

Since: Oct 12

Detroit

#264146 Oct 15, 2012
AyakaNeo wrote:
<quoted text>You're right. RVW does not even mention 24 weeks. It says viability and potentiality of human life. Viability and it's definition became an issue when the state of Missouri was sued.
Here is a quote from the Roe V Wade decision:

"or upon the interim point at which the fetus becomes "viable," that is, potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid.[n59] Viability is usually placed at about seven months (28 weeks) but may occur earlier, even at 24 weeks."

So understand that it did specifically mention 24 weeks as the earliest possible known time a fetus could become "viable" per it's definition. Hence, why laws are upheld which proscribe abortion at 24 weeks. Roe V Wade considered both arguments between the woman's rights and the State's interest and erred on the side of caution when it came to a State protecting a viable fetus. This is ignored by most PC people but it has yet to be successfully challenged.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#264147 Oct 15, 2012
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear he bought out all the stock in Lotramin. And we WONDER why he's a billionare?
;-)
:-D

“Pro-Life”

Location hidden

#264148 Oct 15, 2012
AyakaNeo wrote:
<quoted text>I asked where RVW states 24 weeks and she gives me a footnote from a medical book. RVW divided pregnancy into 3 trimesters and then outlined the restrictions a State government can impose restrictions.
It wasn't a footnote from a medical book, it was part of the RvW decision. THEY used the words I quoted, and I quoted it from this site. Maybe you should educate yourself, because you keep trying to argue what you don't know anything about.

http://womenshistory.about.com/library/etext/...

This site shows the RvW decision, and on the page I linked are the words,

"Physicians and their scientific colleagues have regarded that event with less interest and have tended to focus either upon conception, upon live birth, or upon the interim point at which the fetus becomes "viable," that is, potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid. Viability is usually placed at about seven months (28 weeks) but may occur earlier, even at 24 weeks."

RvW mentioned the gestational age, and physicians use the gestational age along with weight of the fetus to determine viability. Viability occurs WHILE the fetus is IN the womb. Not once born and surviving without medical aid as Katie tries to argue.

“Pro-Life”

Location hidden

#264149 Oct 15, 2012
_Bad Axe wrote:
<quoted text>Here is a quote from the Roe V Wade decision:
"or upon the interim point at which the fetus becomes "viable," that is, potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid.[n59] Viability is usually placed at about seven months (28 weeks) but may occur earlier, even at 24 weeks."
So understand that it did specifically mention 24 weeks as the earliest possible known time a fetus could become "viable" per it's definition. Hence, why laws are upheld which proscribe abortion at 24 weeks. Roe V Wade considered both arguments between the woman's rights and the State's interest and erred on the side of caution when it came to a State protecting a viable fetus. This is ignored by most PC people but it has yet to be successfully challenged.
Thank you for giving her the information. I hadn't seen this before replying to Ayakaneo with the same info you posted, in response to her claim that I gave her a footnote from a medical book.

Ayakaneo has a habit of posting on sunjects she doesn't know anything about.

“Pro-Life”

Location hidden

#264150 Oct 15, 2012
*subjects

Location hidden

#264151 Oct 15, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't he remind you of Jake, with his ranting and gesticulating and spitting all over the place?
What a maroon.
I think of Doc as LLL with a penis...a tiny penis, of course.

“Pro-Life”

Location hidden

#264152 Oct 15, 2012
Viability is determined WHILE the fetus is IN UTERO. That means, to anyone who has an ability to be logical, that viability has been "reached" at a certain gestational age and weight, BEFORE birth.

“Pro-Life”

Location hidden

#264153 Oct 15, 2012
Pluto is a planet wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think so Lily. In your post where you called me a liar you did not comprehend what I had actually written at all. If you're going to call someone a liar you should make sure you didn't misconstrue what was written.
Let me refresh your memory;
il Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
"I havent claimed to be an "expert" on Catholicism, liar. I have claimed I've been to Catholic funerals, because I have been. I know what's done at the funerals."
Pluto;
"I also suggest you think about what the words "seems to be an expert" actually means. I didn't even say that you "claimed" to be an expert. I said Lily "seems" to be an expert. So I'm not a liar.
Try to actually comprehend what you read."
You were implying I was speaking as though I see myself as an expert on it, and that wasn't true. Backpedal from that implication now.

I know what I know. Deal with it.
1 post removed

Location hidden

#264155 Oct 15, 2012
lil Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have anything intelligent, sensible, factual or constructive to post. Your comments are the types of comments forum trolls make. Funny how Kenose doesn't pick up on the fact that it's people like you and Kenose who "troll" here.
Oh relax, mama. If your don't enjoy my posts, I encourage you to ignore them. Besides, my mentor, RC Honey, thinks I'm funny and she's the expert on these matters.

Location hidden

#264156 Oct 15, 2012
lil Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
You were implying I was speaking as though I see myself as an expert on it, and that wasn't true. Backpedal from that implication now.
I know what I know. Deal with it.
You know what you know, but you also think you know what other people know and what other people don't know even though you really don't know what other people know or what other people don't know. In fact, you don't know what you don't know because you are a know-it-all and we all know that know-it-alls don't really know nearly as much as they think they know, you know?
2 posts removed

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#264159 Oct 16, 2012
_Bad Axe wrote:
<quoted text>Here is a quote from the Roe V Wade decision:
That is a footnote from a medical book. RvW does not specifically state at what stage a fetus is viable.

“...sigh”

Since: Nov 09

Smithtown, NY

#264160 Oct 16, 2012
Doc Degall wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you didn't ???
Post #264011 :
"I provided the link of the medical definition of viability which discussed only physiological capabilities."
Liar.
Guido ? Where does that come from ?
I'm a descendant of the Emerald Isle. I married a guido though....ya racist ya.
<quoted text>
I overlooked nothing you liar. I read the whole thing. And there are at least FOUR references to the determination of viability hinging on medical assistance. Read it an weep.
<quoted text>
Yeah.....those functions assisted by or not assisted by medical treatment.
Ya see genius, those minimal physiological functions can exist...and STILL require artificial support.
You're STILL Stupid.
Hiya Jakey!!!{{waves}}

“...sigh”

Smithtown, NY

#264161 Oct 16, 2012
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>You know what you know, but you also think you know what other people know and what other people don't know even though you really don't know what other people know or what other people don't know. In fact, you don't know what you don't know because you are a know-it-all and we all know that know-it-alls don't really know nearly as much as they think they know, you know?
I know!!

: D

“...sigh”

Smithtown, NY

#264162 Oct 16, 2012
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I think of Doc as LLL with a penis...a tiny penis, of course.
He's got more of a brain, though.

Actually, so does a tapeworm.
Kenose

Brooklyn, NY

#264163 Oct 16, 2012
lil Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have anything intelligent, sensible, factual or constructive to post. Your comments are the types of comments forum trolls make. Funny how Kenose doesn't pick up on the fact that it's people like you and Kenose who "troll" here.
Go back under your bride, you silly little abortroll.
Kenose

Brooklyn, NY

#264164 Oct 16, 2012
bridge, too!

“Nasty Nana”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#264165 Oct 16, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
He's got more of a brain, though.
Actually, so does a tapeworm.
Good morning my Ladi, I see we're full of jokes this morning, I'm a huge fan of practical humour. ;)

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#264166 Oct 16, 2012
lil Lily wrote:
Viability is determined WHILE the fetus is IN UTERO. That means, to anyone who has an ability to be logical, that viability has been "reached" at a certain gestational age and weight, BEFORE birth.
yeah but RvW doesn't state when that occurs. RvW states it is a medical judgement made by a physician.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mayor of London Boris Johnson meets Hillary Cli... (Feb '15) 3 min Go Blue Forever 22
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min Abe 228,668
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 20 min True Judgement 2,083
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min Grey Ghost 1,395,642
News Starwood begins managing hotel run by military ... 23 min kelly 4
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... 42 min payme 1,188
News Donald Trump: Brexit is sign of independence de... 1 hr Responsibility 221
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Weak Weak Weak 388,213
News The Republican Party is dead 3 hr Quirky 1,798
News News 28 Mins Ago 'Not the America we want': Oba... 6 hr WasteWater 331
More from around the web