Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 310231 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#254720 Aug 26, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now Peter. Don't go and speculate on the well-being of those kids. You're not permitted to judge the impact the Duggar's choices have had on their children.@@
The Duggers are millionaires were before they started the show. They can afford to have nineteen kids. They trust in God and not what society dictates. You know God never gives one more than they can handle. We do not need artificial birth control. So trust in Him and you will be free and a lot happier.

“...sigh”

Since: Nov 09

Smithtown, NY

#254721 Aug 26, 2012
pupsilicious wrote:
<quoted text>The Duggers are millionaires were before they started the show. They can afford to have nineteen kids. They trust in God and not what society dictates. You know God never gives one more than they can handle. We do not need artificial birth control. So trust in Him and you will be free and a lot happier.
I wish them all the best.

I hope their money doesn't run out when the show peters out, as shows always do.

Of course G-d gives people more than they can handle, hun. Unfortunately, that's why some people commit suicide :(

By the way, if they use NFP they don't "trust in G-d." If they truly trusted in G-d they would use no birth control whatsoever.

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

#254722 Aug 26, 2012
R C Honey wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly, and privately I would!
(smack xoxox, you like that baby? MMMMMMMMMMMMM) kissing yer ass
Please, may I have some more?

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#254723 Aug 26, 2012
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
"I also believe if a woman wants an abortion at 35 weeks and 6 days, she should be able to get one legally - if she's that determined not to be a mother, she'd make a terrible one"
I would hope that she would come to the determination that she didn't want to be a parent long before 35 weeks and 6 days....
You know, I have to agree that I worded that statement poorly. But what I was really getting at was that abortion should either be a 'no questions asked' situation regardless of length of gestation, or it shouldn't be allowed at all. Most (I would think nearly all) women who obtain a late term abortion, do so because to continue gestation threatens their lives, or because their fetus is profoundly compromised. However, it would seem to me that if a woman was THAT insistent that she no longer wanted to be pregnant, she would get a caesarian section - not an abortion. And trust me - I personally would find it abhorrant to end the life of my fetus that close to term - but I don't think it should be my call if it's not my fetus.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify my position on this.

:)

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#254724 Aug 26, 2012
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>You judge your way, I'll judge mine. Let's leave it at that - or not, whichever you prefer. Free country. Blah blah blah.
Good evening "Sister,"

Hmmm, forgive me for not fully understanding where your ultimate argument is "going," but from what I've been able to glean from your earlier posts was that you were taking those folks whom were "judgmental" of the Duggar's to task for being "judgmental" of them.
Now I may be completely off-base here--and please feel free to correct me if I am--but what I was taking away from your earlier posts was that while we're always quick to point our collective fingers at those whom we feel are being judgmental, we have a far more difficult time recognizing when we ourselves are being judgmental.

If anything I've said above is on-target I find it a tad odd that you'd say, "You judge your way, I'll judge mine..."

Location hidden

#254725 Aug 26, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>

Let's try this again.
By all means.

++++++++++
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>Okay? So, I said nothing about being demanding. I am merely correcting your inaccurate assertion that you don't expect the public to mind their own business. You do, clearly, from this post and others. Again, it was more than a mere suggestion.
If you took my suggestion that we hold true to our personal assertions that we do not judge women for their reproductive choices as a demand, I have to wonder why.

Granted, I don't know which post it was in which you asserted that you judge no one for their reproductive decisions - but I distinctly remember reading it. But because I cannot pinpoint that post from you, I'll defer to your current assertion that you feel you have the right to judge CERTAIN women (namely Mrs. Duggar) because the woman in question is on television promoting her fertility, and therefore you were not being hypocritical.
Fair enough?
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>You feel as if it is inappropriate for us to even express an opinion (in spite of the fact that freedom of speech is a Constitutionally protected right) regarding a woman's procreation choices, even though she blasts them all over network television. We're just supposed to smile and nod and say nothing, because it's her *choice*, goshdarnit!
Indeed.
Since I cannot recall informing you of your own feelings, I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't do the same. I feel that it is inappropriate for ME (that's ME, no one else) to judge Mrs. Duggar, or any other woman, on the basis of her reproductive choices, and I'm disinclined ever to do so. If you want to take out ads in the local paper, expressing your feelings about Mrs. Duggar's reproductive choices, Please Please PLEASE feel free to do so, completely unfettered by my opinion.

Whatever fries your chicken is fine with me.

Location hidden

#254726 Aug 26, 2012
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Good evening "Sister,"
Good evening to you, Sir.
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm, forgive me for not fully understanding where your ultimate argument is "going," but from what I've been able to glean from your earlier posts was that you were taking those folks whom were "judgmental" of the Duggar's to task for being "judgmental" of them.
That's pretty much it - which, in retrospect, indicates that I myself was being judgmental of them for being judgmental of another woman's reproductive choices. Since it's been pointed out numerous times that we ALL judge others,(and rightly so, as that's absolutely a true statement) I will say that the lack of judgment I'm prepared to pass on Mrs. Duggar, I did not extend to the posters who were judging her. A function of the fact that I reserve the right to be judgmental about some things, but not others. Reproductive choices are in the 'not my place to judge' column. Again - these are just my opinions, and do not necessarily apply to anyone else on the planet.

John-K wrote:
<quoted text>Now I may be completely off-base here--and please feel free to correct me if I am--but what I was taking away from your earlier posts was that while we're always quick to point our collective fingers at those whom we feel are being judgmental, we have a far more difficult time recognizing when we ourselves are being judgmental.
Not off base in the slightest, and I took that assertion to heart. Please see above.
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>If anything I've said above is on-target I find it a tad odd that you'd say, "You judge your way, I'll judge mine..."
Mine being 'declining to judge'........does that make sense?

Really enjoyed chatting with you, and look forward to doing it frequently!

Location hidden

#254727 Aug 26, 2012
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I think that the fact that girls take their rights for granted means that the women who fought for them were successful in their efforts. I believe that we need to teach our kids the histories of all of the civil rights movements in this country and the world, but I certainly don't want kids feeling that they should have to earn what every person has an inherent right to have.
Neither do I - but if they are inherent rights, why are they constantly being called into question? Could it be an effort to encourage us to call them into question also?

The Republican party (and many individuals) certainly don't seem to consider the right to bodily autonomy, to be inherent to both genders.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#254728 Aug 26, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish them all the best.
I hope their money doesn't run out when the show peters out, as shows always do.
Of course G-d gives people more than they can handle, hun. Unfortunately, that's why some people commit suicide :(
By the way, if they use NFP they don't "trust in G-d." If they truly trusted in G-d they would use no birth control whatsoever.
I don't agree, a person who commits suicide has a mental disease, he or she assumes there is no future or whatever when in reality there is. These people are not well and cannot be responsible for their actions,I don't think the Duggars will run out of money, they are have a business that is very successful. And the Duggars are now preaching, people are paying them big bucks to speak, they are going to be around for many years. NFP is the only natural way to avoid having children and it is okay to use it. Along with NFP comes the gift of learning to be chaste . Remember Christ said *BE NOT AFRAID* He is always with us.

Location hidden

#254729 Aug 26, 2012
R C Honey wrote:
I shall refer to you as Master LadiLuLu, cause I'm terrified of your not liking me!
Aha...!

There's my gal!

Smooch "Rach!"

Love that pic, I still don't know exactly why--obviously I'm confused.
Must be time for the "Quiet Room..."

;P

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#254730 Aug 26, 2012
Slacker By Choice wrote:
Not an ounce of intelligence is posted in here.
I know I'm doing my part!

Location hidden

#254731 Aug 26, 2012
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>Please, may I have some more?
Only if you belittle me or make fun, then I would feel I had to kiss your ass to be 'friends', until then, pull your pants up!

Location hidden

#254732 Aug 26, 2012
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Rachel!
For a couple of minutes there I saw that, "Lovely, Leering, Lass O' Mine."
What didja go and yank her away for?
You're an awful tease...
;P
Copy the picture to your computer, then you can look at it all day long if you want. Don't have to wait for me to please ya, when you can 'please' yourself!

Location hidden

#254733 Aug 26, 2012
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Aha...!
There's my gal!
Smooch "Rach!"
Love that pic, I still don't know exactly why--obviously I'm confused.
Must be time for the "Quiet Room..."
;P
And when you say the 'quiet room'.... hahahahahahahhaahahh

Location hidden

#254734 Aug 26, 2012
<quoted text>Good evening to you, Sir.
<quoted text>That's pretty much it - which, in retrospect, indicates that I myself was being judgmental of them for being judgmental of another woman's reproductive choices. Since it's been pointed out numerous times that we ALL judge others,(and rightly so, as that's absolutely a true statement) I will say that the lack of judgment I'm prepared to pass on Mrs. Duggar, I did not extend to the posters who were judging her. A function of the fact that I reserve the right to be judgmental about some things, but not others. Reproductive choices are in the 'not my place to judge' column. Again - these are just my opinions, and do not necessarily apply to anyone else on the planet.
<quoted text>Not off base in the slightest, and I took that assertion to heart. Please see above.
<quoted text>Mine being 'declining to judge'........does that make sense?
Really enjoyed chatting with you, and look forward to doing it frequently!
Thank you for an interesting and thoughtful reply "Sister."

I appreciate the fact that you're able to perceive that you've not extended to the posters on here the "lack" of judgement you were so willing to grant to Mrs. Duggar.
This shows a degree of self consciousness that's "lacking," shall we say, in the rest of us when we "pontificate" about the motives of others with whom we happen to disagree...

The only thing I find a tad disconcerting in your post is your statement that you, "reserve the right to be judgmental about some things, but not others..."

If you don't mind my asking, where do you draw the proverbial "line?"

And why...?

Atrisco Village

#254735 Aug 26, 2012
<quoted text>Neither do I - but if they are inherent rights, why are they constantly being called into question? Could it be an effort to encourage us to call them into question also?
The Republican party (and many individuals) certainly don't seem to consider the right to bodily autonomy, to be inherent to both genders.
Oh, that's easy...the Republican Party and those individuals are an ass.

Oh, yeah...IMO. Lol.

Atrisco Village

#254736 Aug 26, 2012
R C Honey wrote:
<quoted text>Only if you belittle me or make fun, then I would feel I had to kiss your ass to be 'friends', until then, pull your pants up!
What pants?

Location hidden

#254737 Aug 26, 2012
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for an interesting and thoughtful reply "Sister."
I appreciate the fact that you're able to perceive that you've not extended to the posters on here the "lack" of judgement you were so willing to grant to Mrs. Duggar.
This shows a degree of self consciousness that's "lacking," shall we say, in the rest of us when we "pontificate" about the motives of others with whom we happen to disagree...
The only thing I find a tad disconcerting in your post is your statement that you, "reserve the right to be judgmental about some things, but not others..."
If you don't mind my asking, where do you draw the proverbial "line?"
And why...?
I'm not entirely certain where I draw the line, until I perceive that I'm about to cross it - and somehow, I'm aware that it may move (incrementally or even at leaps and bounds) in any given situation. In this situation, I found myself asking why would a group of people, who usually lack judgmental opinion concerning the reproductive choices of others, suddenly reverse that stance and begin judging this one? I could only answer for myself - I decline to judge Mrs. Duggar for her reproductive choices, because I decline to judge those of anyone else. In this situation, that was my line. I still don't feel the need to cross it, and if that bothers anyone, it'll just have to go right on bothering them.

I suppose the 'why' of this is that I agree wholeheartedly with the assertion offered earlier by many: that judging situations and people is human nature. I am assuredly human, and judgement is undoubtedly part of my nature too. I reserve the right to express it, however, when and where I think it's appropriate.

Doesn't everyone?

I really like your thought-provoking questions.

Hope you have a great night!

“Reality is better than truth.”

Indianapolis

#254738 Aug 26, 2012
I understand your position, and personally agree that she can make any decisions she chooses; it's the heart of being pro-choice. But whether she invited or anticipated it, she opened up her life and its decisions to the camera on a national hook-up; people will have opinions and have a right to them. She's not an accidental celebrity like the pilot who rescued that plane in new york; she deliberately signed on to be famous on the basis of her family. She's not an actress or singer or other kind of entertainer; her family is literally all she has to offer.
<quoted text>I agree with you about the kids of celebrities being the ones whose lives are not their own, and who are turned into celebrities themselves, perhaps against their wills, into the bargain. As I have never seen an episode of the television show, however, I guess I just don't feel qualified even to judge that.
My opinion on the personal responsibility to evince one's personal beliefs, rather than just claiming to have them, still holds - Mrs. Duggar, in my opinion, has not subjected herself to judgment I would otherwise withhold, had she made any other reproductive decision, simply by virtue of the fact that she is a television personality.
In other words, I don't judge any woman for her reproductive decisions, whether she is quietly getting an abortion, or proclaiming the fact that she is a mother 19 times over and trying for more. It's not my place to do so, and I don't care how many times it's pointed out to me that Mrs. Duggar is 'asking for it'.
She's not getting it from me.
As I've said before, these are just my observations. I don't expect anyone else to agree with them, as perspectives differ greatly from person to person. It's a wonderful world.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Indianapolis

#254739 Aug 26, 2012
I'm a gay atheist; I get to judge people and be as bitchy as necessary in the process!

To me, the problem isn't people judging her one way or the other; it's whether she allows those judgments to interfere with her choices or her happiness. In show business, you have to learn to ignore the critics and carry on with what one considers correct. If you let critics or the public influence you, they will eat you alive.
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now Peter. Don't go and speculate on the well-being of those kids. You're not permitted to judge the impact the Duggar's choices have had on their children.@@

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Truth is might 173,679
News Bobby Jindal warns of immigrant a invasiona in USA 3 min Memo From Turner 12
News Romney Slams Trump's 'Unfortunate' Remarks on I... 4 min swedenforever 26
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min sonicfilter 1,276,663
News Christie says he might 'go nuclear' at next GOP... 7 min swedenforever 5
Time to go? 10 min Citizen 3,279
News Bin Laden son-in-law arrested in Jordan is brou... (Mar '13) 10 min swedenforever 67
News GOP establishment plans Trump takedown 12 min mjjcpa 89
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 21 min positronium 341,061
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 48 min RayOne 193,891
More from around the web