Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 326632 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Badaxe

“docendo discimus”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#252848 Aug 15, 2012
Conservative Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you consider abating an abortion, just to bring a child into a life of misery, hurt, and pain responsible behavior?
Now that's a good question. Personally, I understand , and even agree with that sentiment, however, there is the arguement that any life is better than no life at all. I believe that in the early stages of pregnancy, when the chance of natural miscarriage is relatively high, there are many considerations that be left solely to the woman/parents of the potentail child. But as the pregnancy progresses, and there is a very probably chance that the fetus would survive the pregnancy, then those considerations become fewer, and only the most legitimate reason to end a potential life should be considered.
Conservative Democrat wrote:
The argument about abortion will always spin on the fulcrum of the lesser of two evils. And, until men can gestate, we will not have a say so in that argument. An opinion, yes. A say so, no.
Not true, when you consider it's a life, potentail life, worthy of saving, that is not gender exclusive. "Forcing" a woman to gestate is not the same as "forcing" a woman to get pregnant. Decisions were made which lead to her pregnancy, and now her decision to abort involves another life. It's no longer about her, just as abusing her born children would not be all about her. Tell me, would "forcing" a woman to carry a viable fetus to term, without risk of her health or life, be any different than forcing a young man into battle to defend the continuation of our society?

Badaxe

“docendo discimus”

Location hidden

#252849 Aug 15, 2012
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
You have confused an argument regarding the physiological differences between fetus and baby with my stance on abortion. Again, abortion isn't even legal after 32wks (excepting the life/health of mother). This crappy claim has been perpetuated (but not recently) by the likes of NR, Triple L, Doc, JM, and a couple others. They have been repeatedly corrected and I've repeatedly clarified my stance. Even in a post to you last week. Am guessing you didn't see it.
It was more about your consistent contention that abortion should be strictly about the woman's bodily autonomy. To even suggest that a baby wasnt born until the cord was cut speaks volumes about your complete inconsideration that there are two lives involved when it comes to aborting a viable fetus. It's not that I didn't see your attempted justification of what you said, it's that, because it's consistent with your overall arguments, why do you make excuses for it and refuse to own it?
Katie wrote:
Yes, I do hold the perspective abortion is a private matter. That it is one part of the whole package regarding women's reproductive civil rights to personal privacy and bodily autonomy.
OK, so where did I misrepresent your stance on the issue?
Katie wrote:
Might I suggest you join forces with JM? She is of the belief I "argued" the banning of the D&X procedure. This was clarified for you last week; guess you didn't see that one, either. I did not argue the banning of or the act of the D&X procedure. What I did while others argued it was to provide facts that included more than the description of the gruesome procedure. Seemed most couldn't see the forest through the trees. One thing being now only the D&E procedure is an option. Or what Triple L and a few others keep promoting; C-Section.
You argued that the D&X procedure was a necessary option and misrepresented in the congress, you also argued that because the rate was so low that is was not a significant concern. As I said, I can link the forum we argued it in to clarify the discussion. BTW, dont compare me to JM just because I am calling you on your own arguments, and you dont want to be seen as the extremist that your arguments make you. JM lies, I dont.
Katie wrote:
I've counted a few people stating you're incorrect in your assessment of "mental health" covered by RvW. Like has been said by others and I said last week, BA, DvB WORKS WITH RvW by expounding on "mental health" and finally factoring in "emotional health" with it. Emotional health had been mostly ignored prior to DvB.
Really? I've yet to see anyone challange the fact that Roe V Wade didn't include mental health, nor have I seen anyone argue against the fact that Doe V Bolton went beyond R v W in it's definition of Mental health. D v B does not work with R v W it contradicts it's recognition of the State's important and compelling interest to protect potentail life.
Katie wrote:
BA? I am owning my arguments. I am not, however, owning your misinterpretation of same. Said arguments have been clarified for you, you should no longer be unclear. Feel free to let me know if you are, though
Wow, I am just restating your arguments and you are denying them. You either need to forget your need for appearance here and own up to your extremist, liberal stance, or rethink your opinion here Katie, it's just that simple.

Badaxe

“docendo discimus”

Location hidden

#252850 Aug 15, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
I don't need the government deciding what is irresponsible behavior and what is not.
There is nothing responsible about having as kid you don't want.
So did you defend Susan Smith and Yates in their decision to get rid of the kids they "dont want"? The question is, when should the government step in to protect life, most Americans believe it is at viability.
1 post removed

Badaxe

“docendo discimus”

Location hidden

#252852 Aug 15, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>Grandma,you can't be serious!You would have the police and courts involved in requesting such a personal situation as an abortion? You really want women to be controlled by city hall and be stuck in a court system that is backed up for years? Get real. Let's see: A woman is in delivery and needs a c-section. Sorry,we'll have to get a judge's order first. Tubal ligations,hysterectomies, and D&Cs? Nope,not without a city permit....... Do you really feel that women are so ....ing dumb that they need mandatory personal body management?
Look Thomas, just because you consider terminating a viable fetus as petty doesnt mean the rest of thinking America should agree. Is credit card fraud or cheating on your taxes a more compelling interest than protecting life,(mandated to the States by the constitution)? Where the F' are you coming from on this? Protecting life, even potentail, is, and should be, one of the utmost considerations of our laws.
1 post removed

“OUCH”

Since: Mar 07

Russell Springs, KY

#252854 Aug 16, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
How about just leaving it up to the woman?
No "brain racking" required.
Isn't it left up to the women now ,until it gets iffy if the fetus is worthy of protection? I'm not sure if I understand,tell me what you think.

“OUCH”

Russell Springs, KY

#252855 Aug 16, 2012
grumpy wrote:
<quoted text>Only if you use the word REAL as a pejoritive.
She will never consider the Romney-Ryan position on birth control for women as a negative.
How do you know I'd consider Romney at all? How do you know I'd consider Obama? I'm neither republican nor democrat. I was hoping someone would run independent,that was a peoples president. I've even considered not voting,I'm discussed with both parties.

“OUCH”

Russell Springs, KY

#252856 Aug 16, 2012
Junket wrote:
<quoted text>
Grumpy! How do you know that? Have you asked OL? If she thinks that condoms are a good (or at least not bad) idea; why would she oppose affordable/available birth control? Seems to me, and I've *known* her for quite a long time - she's opposed to abortion and in favor of means to prevent same.
OL - is my above comment correct?
Your correct. How are you doing,Age?
feces for jesus

East Meadow, NY

#252857 Aug 16, 2012
pupsilicious wrote:
<quoted text>Still sounding like you ARE a nazi, neo nazi that is.
I guess your way of living is

when in doubt, lash out.

Very christ-like.

Go align yourself with child rapists.

“OUCH”

Russell Springs, KY

#252858 Aug 16, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
The problem comes from this being a women's rights issue. Not a nebraskan issue or a californian issue, but all women. Why does a woman in NY get to have an easy access to a medical procedure but the very same woman have to go through endless hoops in MS or KS? RvW already declared the right to belong to all women; states are interfering with that decision.
<quoted text>
Yes they are.,and probably will continue doing so. To my understanding in Roe, during the first three months,states can't interfere at all. The second three moths states could regulate abortion,and the last three,states can bar abortion except to save the life of the Mom. If I'm mistaken let me know.,Pete.

“OUCH”

Russell Springs, KY

#252859 Aug 16, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>You've got the busybodies in the discussion who model their lives after the character of Gladys Kravitz(Bewitched). Now, if we could just wiggle our nose and.........poof!
Just what are you for,Thomas? Are you for restrictions,or none? Are you for abortion till birth and after? Lay it on the line Thomas,let me know.

“...sigh”

Since: Nov 09

Smithtown, NY

#252860 Aug 16, 2012
OLD LADY wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it left up to the women now ,until it gets iffy if the fetus is worthy of protection? I'm not sure if I understand,tell me what you think.
"Until it gets iffy if the fetus is worthy of protection?" What do you mean by this?

Simply put, it should always be up to the woman. IMO.
1 post removed
Ocean56

AOL

#252862 Aug 16, 2012
tomtom wrote:
Yu are no jew. At least not a real jew. A fraud and a fake like your buddy CD.
Every comment you make about Catholics and Chritians exposes your bigotry. Pointing out your fruad staus is not bigoted.
Actually, junior, NO religion is exempt from verbal criticism, including catholicism and christianity. That means anyone can verbally criticize one or both faiths, just as women and men can cheerfully decide NEVER to have children. Deal with it.
Ocean56

AOL

#252863 Aug 16, 2012
When teen girls AREN'T burdened with motherhood while still in high school, they can study for any of the following future careers much more easily and without restrictions.

Advertising
Anesthesiology
Architecture
Biological Technician
Engineering Jobs
Computer Programming
Counseling
Education/Administration
Entrepreneurship
Financial Advising
Information Technology Analyst
Management
Market Research Analyst
Marketing
Medical and Health Services Management
Occupational Health Therapy
Physical Scientists
Physical Therapy
Physician Assistant
Teaching Jobs
Psychiatry
Radiation Therapy
Registered Nurse
Sales Engineer;Social Work
Accountants, Doctors
Acupuncturists, Nurses
Alcohol and Drug Counselors Nurse Practitioners
Architects, Nursing Home Administrators
Athletic Trainers, Occupational Therapy Assistants
Occupational Therapists
Opthalmology, Optometrists, Pharmacy
Boiler Operators Pharmacy Technicians
Charitable Solicitations, Physical Therapists
Chiropractors, Physicians (MD)
Complementary Health Care Providers, Physicians (Osteopath)
Cosmetologists, Plumbers
Counselors, Podiatrists
Propane & Natural Gas Technicians
Dietitians Professional Engineers
Dental Hygienists, Professional Fundraisers
Dentists, Psychologists Radiologic Technologists
Electricians, Real Estate Appraisors
Elevator Inspectors and Mechanics Real Estate Professionals
Foresters, Respiratory Care Practitioners
Social Workers
Auto mechanics
Carpentry
Clothes design and production (like famous designer Vera Wang)
Jewelry making and design

All of the above careers can give girls the opportunity to be single and financially independent women. If they choose job and career instead of marriage and motherhood, that's their choice as well.

“Make time ”

Since: Sep 09

for contemplation

#252864 Aug 16, 2012
OLD LADY wrote:
<quoted text>
Your correct. How are you doing,Age?
Generally pleased with my life, OL - despite another election year.
:-)

“OUCH”

Russell Springs, KY

#252865 Aug 16, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
"Until it gets iffy if the fetus is worthy of protection?" What do you mean by this?
Simply put, it should always be up to the woman. IMO.
No, Lu,it shouldn't. To be clear,in the case of the Philly doctor, he terminated viable fetuses. Women went to him because no one else would do it. In my opinion,healthy viable humans should not be aborted, ever,only in cases where the mothers life is at risk.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#252866 Aug 16, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
How does she sound like a "neo nazi?"
Where is she posting about being superiour over other ethnicities? About white power? Are you aware of what neo-nazis do, knit?
What a nutjob she is...all this obsession with Hitler and Naziism.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#252867 Aug 16, 2012
pupsilicious wrote:
<quoted text>Yers i am, they prey on the most vulnerable, they have such a small mind. They show no respect for people . Neo nazi's call people of color and some religions very bad names and say they aren't human, Foo has said the same about the unborn child.
"...they prey on the most vulnerable, they have such a small mind. They show no respect for people."

Then I guess your pedo-priests are neo-nazis.

“OUCH”

Russell Springs, KY

#252868 Aug 16, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
When teen girls AREN'T burdened with motherhood while still in high school, they can study for any of the following future careers much more easily and without restrictions.
Advertising
Anesthesiology
Architecture
Biological Technician
Engineering Jobs
Computer Programming
Counseling
Education/Administration
Entrepreneurship
Financial Advising
Information Technology Analyst
Management
Market Research Analyst
Marketing
Medical and Health Services Management
Occupational Health Therapy
Physical Scientists
Physical Therapy
Physician Assistant
Teaching Jobs
Psychiatry
Radiation Therapy
Registered Nurse
Sales Engineer;Social Work
Accountants, Doctors
Acupuncturists, Nurses
Alcohol and Drug Counselors Nurse Practitioners
Architects, Nursing Home Administrators
Athletic Trainers, Occupational Therapy Assistants
Occupational Therapists
Opthalmology, Optometrists, Pharmacy
Boiler Operators Pharmacy Technicians
Charitable Solicitations, Physical Therapists
Chiropractors, Physicians (MD)
Complementary Health Care Providers, Physicians (Osteopath)
Cosmetologists, Plumbers
Counselors, Podiatrists
Propane & Natural Gas Technicians
Dietitians Professional Engineers
Dental Hygienists, Professional Fundraisers
Dentists, Psychologists Radiologic Technologists
Electricians, Real Estate Appraisors
Elevator Inspectors and Mechanics Real Estate Professionals
Foresters, Respiratory Care Practitioners
Social Workers
Auto mechanics
Carpentry
Clothes design and production (like famous designer Vera Wang)
Jewelry making and design
All of the above careers can give girls the opportunity to be single and financially independent women. If they choose job and career instead of marriage and motherhood, that's their choice as well.
Hey,lets shoot for the moon,astronauts,lawyers,presid ent,politicians,etc..:)

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#252869 Aug 16, 2012
tomtom wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry pagan, you still live in darkness. THe Bible tells us of eternal damnation, being witout God. Then there is the "firey Pit." Of course as a pagan you want to make this all about you, so the word Hell, is claimed by pagans. So what?
Hell, or whatever you want to call it opagan, is not about language or semantics, it is about being without God for all eternity, as you are.
Pagans lived and live in darkness. God is the Light that bannished the darkness. Of course that angers all you pagans. You are the mouthpiece of Satan and you don't even know it.
Go back to your tree worshipping and Druid rituals. The world of Light needed to simnplify things to help the early pagans understand the word of God. Since most of your ancestors sat around bonfires naked, occasionaly throwing a virgin in the fire to please the flame goddess, flame was used to explain Hell. You aren't a bright bunch, you know.
Do you have a better understanding of Chritianity now pagan. M guess is, no you don't.
"Sorry pagan, you still live in darkness. THe Bible tells us of eternal damnation, being witout God. Then there is the "firey Pit.""

Now prove your bible is not just a work of mythology.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#252870 Aug 16, 2012
tomtom wrote:
<quoted text>
This from the proabort pagan. Some approval!
This from an ignorant, backwards, faux-Christian joke.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min Riverside Rednek 52,867
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min No Surprize 1,684,782
News White House will override Obama's climate plan 7 min LIMnologist 2,661
News Senate Moderates To Pitch Leaders On Plan To En... 8 min Taletha 20
News Shutdown extends into workweek, as Senate talks... 9 min Bill 12
News As women march a year after Trump's election, h... 11 min inbred Genius 12
News Leaders say Trump presidency is at odds with ML... 12 min LIMnologist 294
More from around the web