Wow - a break for commuters

Jan 3, 2013 Full story: New York Daily News 70

A little salve for wounded wallets, courtesy of Sen. Chuck Schumer : Buried deep in the fiscal cliff deal passed by Congress is a fix for transit commuters that will save many riders hundreds of dollars a year.

Read more

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#21 Jan 3, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
They already have an existing program.
www.worklife.ny.gov/nysride/index.html - Cached
I know, they just doubled it.
Bluntforce

Aurora, OH

#22 Jan 3, 2013
Ah yes, more taxpayer dollars for 19th century transportation devices. Chuck U. Schumer never met a penny he couldn't spend.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#23 Jan 3, 2013
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you missing the fact that it's lost revenue?
Why should a commuter get the same break as a driver when the driver has the additional expenses of owning a vehicle?
Actually the commuter should get MORE of a break, and the individual driver should be penalized for wasting natural resources and clogging the roads.

Tawas City, Michigan

#24 Jan 3, 2013
lost-cause wrote:
Wall Street Government wrote:
"Only the tax revenue."
Yes, all government revenue comes from taxes.
It's a bogus feel good ploy anyway... lets tax them an additional 2% and give them back $18 (based on 15% rate). They'll never know the difference.
I thought you Teabagger opposed more tax revenue which leads to more govt spending?

Location hidden

#25 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the commuter should get MORE of a break, and the individual driver should be penalized for wasting natural resources and clogging the roads.
So we should penalize people for owning cars in this free nation now?

Location hidden

#26 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you Teabagger opposed more tax revenue which leads to more govt spending?
Huh? You do realize that all that work got a tax increase, don't you?

Not a Teabagger BTW.

Tawas City, Michigan

#27 Jan 3, 2013
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
So we should penalize people for owning cars in this free nation now?
Yes, just as we penalize people who smoke or drink with higher health insurance rates, just as we penalize people who have accidents & speeding tickets with higher auto insurance premiums.

If you CHOOSE to own a vehicle which wastes precious natural resources and causes harm to others, then YES you should be penalized through higher taxes and fees.

Tawas City, Michigan

#28 Jan 3, 2013
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? You do realize that all that work got a tax increase, don't you?
Not a Teabagger BTW.
Well duh! How else are you planning on funding Social Security if you keep cutting the FICA withholding?

Taxes need to go up on ALL Americans, and spending needs to be cut for ALL govt programs across the board by 50% until Social Security is paid back the $2.4 trillion we spent and until the $16.4 trillion debt is paid off.

Once that happens, then we ban talk about future spending & taxation.

Location hidden

#29 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, just as we penalize people who smoke or drink with higher health insurance rates, just as we penalize people who have accidents & speeding tickets with higher auto insurance premiums.
If you CHOOSE to own a vehicle which wastes precious natural resources and causes harm to others, then YES you should be penalized through higher taxes and fees.
Maybe we should start penalizing people for owning houses that use natural resources to light and heat them?

Location hidden

#30 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Well duh! How else are you planning on funding Social Security if you keep cutting the FICA withholding?
Taxes need to go up on ALL Americans, and spending needs to be cut for ALL govt programs across the board by 50% until Social Security is paid back the $2.4 trillion we spent and until the $16.4 trillion debt is paid off.
Once that happens, then we ban talk about future spending & taxation.
Personally I didn't agree with them reducing it to begin with, but to take it away when things aren't much better doesn't make much sense either. Would have been better to have left alone to begin with. imo

Did you notice that there was no mention of it going up when Obama was campainging on "no tax increase for the middle class"? He's a good salesman, gotta give him that....

“Kiss Me You Fool!”

Since: Jan 08

Atlanta via Brooklyn NY

#31 Jan 3, 2013
Whats great is that the right now acknowledges tax breaks ain't free.

Took a while to get the idiots here...and even though they got here because they have to be against anything PBO or Dems do, it's great to have them aboard.

Say it with me idiot rightwingnuts...TAX BREAKS AND CREDITS AINT FREE.

All that crap you swallowed has been passed. You now acknowledge fact.

“Kiss Me You Fool!”

Since: Jan 08

Atlanta via Brooklyn NY

#32 Jan 3, 2013
Say it with me rightwingnuts.:

"I WAS WRONG, I NOW ACKNOWLEDGE TAX CREDITS AINT FREE!"

Tawas City, Michigan

#33 Jan 3, 2013
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe we should start penalizing people for owning houses that use natural resources to light and heat them?
That works for me. The Dems have acutally proposed something called the carbon footprint tax which would tax individuals based on the amount of non-renewable natural resources they consume. I fully support that.

Tawas City, Michigan

#34 Jan 3, 2013
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally I didn't agree with them reducing it to begin with, but to take it away when things aren't much better doesn't make much sense either. Would have been better to have left alone to begin with. imo
Did you notice that there was no mention of it going up when Obama was campainging on "no tax increase for the middle class"? He's a good salesman, gotta give him that....
He didn't mention that the sun was coming up tomorrow either, but we all knew that already too.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#35 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Now we're on a roll. If you CHOOSE to be fat, then YES you need to be penalized through higher taxes and food fees.

Tawas City, Michigan

#36 Jan 3, 2013
RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
Now we're on a roll. If you CHOOSE to be fat, then YES you need to be penalized through higher taxes and food fees.
That works for me. Considering how obese most Americans are a food tax would pay off the national debt in 6 months.

Location hidden

#37 Jan 4, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That works for me. The Dems have acutally proposed something called the carbon footprint tax which would tax individuals based on the amount of non-renewable natural resources they consume. I fully support that.
You're like a tax nazi, eh?

Location hidden

#38 Jan 4, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't mention that the sun was coming up tomorrow either, but we all knew that already too.
Nobody knew a 100%. It had been extended before and I'm guessing that many didn't even know that it was set to expire.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#39 Jan 4, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text> That works for me. Considering how obese most Americans are a food tax would pay off the national debt in 6 months.
Would we only tax the fat rich people?

Tawas City, Michigan

#40 Jan 4, 2013
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody knew a 100%. It had been extended before and I'm guessing that many didn't even know that it was set to expire.
If they didn't know is was set to expire then that's their problem. Ignorance has consequences.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 2 min Just Think 58,795
News Exclusive: Upset by Warren, U.S. banks debate h... 3 min Le Jimbo 15
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min fyi 1,206,584
News Bristol Palin to marry U.S. Medal of Honor winn... 4 min scirocco 492
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min DanFromSmithville 154,757
How Should the US Government Respond to ISIS? 5 min LWsciencejunkie 3,159
News mike Pence Indiana governor 5 min Just Think 2
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min ind 175,777
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 14 min Karma is a_______ 320,533
News Romney campaign official joins Gov. Scott Walke... 31 min Xstain Fatwass Ce... 47
News Official resigns after insulting Obama, Holder,... 2 hr ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 153
More from around the web