Steubenville's Jane Doe Receives Deat...

Steubenville's Jane Doe Receives Death Threats

There are 367 comments on the dailykos.com story from Mar 18, 2013, titled Steubenville's Jane Doe Receives Death Threats. In it, dailykos.com reports that:

A tag is a way to search for this diary. If someone is searching for "Barack Obama," is this a diary they'd be trying to find? Use a person's full name, without any title.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at dailykos.com.

ohwell

Carmel, IN

#151 Mar 23, 2013
Arms wrote:
I don't believe drinking is the root of these boys problems. I think they were referred to as the rape crew. This was well know by other school members. This is much deeper. Most young boys in high school would not want to be known as the rape crew. Maybe more young girls will come forward before it's all over.
If this is true, these boys will have more trouble ahead. It still does not minimize the importance of dealing with underage binge drinking. This problem is growing and exists in almost every high school and college campus.

Roofies are another problem which began in bars, moved onto college campuses and now into some high schools. Parents need to be diligent about knowing where their kids are when they go out.
U R Marginalized

Yeoman, IN

#152 Mar 23, 2013
ohwell wrote:
<quoted text>Not aware of it but I don't live in Carmel.
You're really strange. I've noticed few people ever talk to you since you're such a freaking lunatic. No wonder you have to change your location and name all the time.
The only lunatic here is you. You are an apologist. A rape apologist. You have zero credibility.

Your feeble attempts to blame and shame the victim have fallen upon deaf ears. No reasonable person has agreed with your twisted and demented views thus far.

You are marginalized,and with good reason.
Arms

Youngstown, OH

#153 Mar 23, 2013
1 post removed
Arms

Youngstown, OH

#155 Mar 25, 2013
These boys will rape sober or drunk. Drinking is not why they are rapist. Sad but true.
out of towner

Edmonton, KY

#156 Mar 25, 2013
ohwell wrote:
<quoted text>If I had zero credibility, no one would be insulting and attacking me for my comments about teenage drinking. Apparently, I'm hitting home and people are upset that I'm bringing up the main reason this occurred in the first place. If the kids weren't drinking, the rape would never have happened.
I agree with most of what you are saying but the bottom line is the parents should be keeping a closer eye on their children and not think this is OK. With all that happened that night, three parties three homes. Were are the adults????? Parties that I used to go to at someone's home, a parent was there maybe not involved in the party but you never knew when they may check on us. But also they did not allow drinking. The drinking parties were usually held out in a field on a farm somewhere where people brougt tents to stay or have a driver. I went to a couple but was not allowed to go I had to sneak off because I had a curfew.
ohwell

Carmel, IN

#157 Mar 25, 2013
out of towner wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with most of what you are saying but the bottom line is the parents should be keeping a closer eye on their children and not think this is OK. With all that happened that night, three parties three homes. Were are the adults????? Parties that I used to go to at someone's home, a parent was there maybe not involved in the party but you never knew when they may check on us. But also they did not allow drinking. The drinking parties were usually held out in a field on a farm somewhere where people brougt tents to stay or have a driver. I went to a couple but was not allowed to go I had to sneak off because I had a curfew.
It's a lot harder to be a good parent when kids are exposed to so much trash. Their innocence is compromised at a much younger age due to the influences from the tv shows they watch, the music they listen to, the exposures at school and on the bus, the Internet, etc. Some kids don't even understand the real concept of rape. Sex parties are not unusual which means the guys and girls get completely wasted and have sex with each other....oftentimes right in front of each other. Believe it or not, there was a show on tv that illustrated this kind of activity. As adults, we are mortified by this case but the teen culture is very different. All is not lost because there are still great kids who don't engage in this kind of activity but there are naive ones that get caught up in it. They may come from good and bad families.

I don't know why many parents don't follow up with their kids more than they do. They should contact the parents who are hosting the party. On the other hand, the teen fears their parents will be the cause of shutting down a party so the communication between parent and teen can be iffy.

The safest thing is have a curfew so if they manage to sneak off to an unsupervised party, they will have to be home before too much trouble can occur. No sleep overs in high school unless you want to be responsible for the potential of additional trouble.

Parents have to get to know their kids' friends and even their parents. You can learn a lot about the influences your kids will be exposed to when they are out with these friends. Well supervised parties that include parents of the kids attending, can be helpful. When kids have experiences socializing with each other, they will realize they don't need to get wasted to have fun.

From time to time, we would have family parties. Parents and their kids and even siblings. Kids would play tennis, bb ball, pool and such against the parents...against each other. Our children were mortified when it was our turn to host but at the end of the night, they would give us a kiss and say thanks. When kids realize they can have fun without drugs and alcohol, they've made a huge step. We would start having these parties in elementary school all the way through high school. Does this mean kids will never get into trouble? Of course not but it is a start. Maintaining good relations with your kids friends and their families helps in so many ways.
1 post removed
out of towner

Edmonton, KY

#159 Mar 25, 2013
@ ohwell I totally agree about the media, I can't believe how far the fdc (I think that is what it is called) has let things go. My son is in his mid 30's and I am sometime embrassed to watch things that are on in primetime. I also saw a show about teens and sex it was very distrubing to watch and the age of these children was shocking. Social media is the greatest and worst thing to happen to this world. But until parents start parenting and quit making sure their kids have to be one of the popular kids, I don't see things turning around. My son was a popular kid in school but I always told him if I ever heard of him making fun of or standing by watching someone being treated badly there would be very bad conquesense for him. I was told of a few times he did stand up for others, I told him I was very proud of him.

But do think parents are going to have to face reality and make adjustments in their thinking or what has happened her is just the begining of it happen more freakily.

Hopefuly there will be a lesson learned here, just sorry it had to destroy young lives.
educate your boys

Liberty, KY

#160 Mar 25, 2013
Boys learn about girls and sex from other boys. That is bad. They must be taught about it by parents and schools the same as girls. If you don't then things like rape happens.
1 post removed
Brian

Glen Carbon, IL

#162 Mar 25, 2013
If the trash in Ohio was in jail...none of this would have happened
ohwell

Carmel, IN

#163 Mar 25, 2013
educate your boys wrote:
Boys learn about girls and sex from other boys. That is bad. They must be taught about it by parents and schools the same as girls. If you don't then things like rape happens.
I would hope kids learn about sex from their parents and in families with responsible parents, they do. The media taints kids' ideas about sex very early on which is why parents need to be diligent about educating them. Schools do a shtty job educating students about the basics. Why would anyone think they suddenly have some kind of authority in educating kids about sex?

Rape is going to happen when drugs, alcohol and immaturity are involved. Prevention is the key which is why parents need to know where their kids are. They need to make sure they get in early. The longer they allow them out, the more likely they will get in trouble. Additionally, boys and girls need to realize they don't need to get wasted to have fun or to be accepted. The sooner they recognize the importance of hanging with the kids they are most comfortable with, the better.
ohwell

Carmel, IN

#164 Mar 25, 2013
out of towner wrote:
@ ohwell I totally agree about the media, I can't believe how far the fdc (I think that is what it is called) has let things go. My son is in his mid 30's and I am sometime embrassed to watch things that are on in primetime. I also saw a show about teens and sex it was very distrubing to watch and the age of these children was shocking. Social media is the greatest and worst thing to happen to this world. But until parents start parenting and quit making sure their kids have to be one of the popular kids, I don't see things turning around. My son was a popular kid in school but I always told him if I ever heard of him making fun of or standing by watching someone being treated badly there would be very bad conquesense for him. I was told of a few times he did stand up for others, I told him I was very proud of him.
But do think parents are going to have to face reality and make adjustments in their thinking or what has happened her is just the begining of it happen more freakily.
Hopefuly there will be a lesson learned here, just sorry it had to destroy young lives.
Parenting takes a lot of effort but there is also a lot of luck involved too. Sometimes a kid is somewhere at the wrong time and wrong place. Kids are going to make good or bad decisions based upon their inner voice. This will be balanced by self esteem and family background. That inner voice will be muffled if drugs and alcohol are involved.

Binge drinking today is extreme. Girls want the biggest high for the least calories which is why shots are beloved. It also is much easier to hide a handle than a keg. It's much easier to get severly intoxicated with shots than drinking beer after beer. It's very typical for kids to pass out at parties. It's the norm. Parents have to be very careful because their kids could end up in a very bad situation.
ohwell

Carmel, IN

#165 Mar 25, 2013
correction: may be muffled

Since: Sep 09

o------------><-----------o

#166 Mar 25, 2013
ohwell wrote:
<quoted text> I would hope kids learn about sex from their parents and in families with responsible parents, they do. The media taints kids' ideas about sex very early on which is why parents need to be diligent about educating them. Schools do a shtty job educating students about the basics. Why would anyone think they suddenly have some kind of authority in educating kids about sex?
Rape is going to happen when drugs, alcohol and immaturity are involved. Prevention is the key which is why parents need to know where their kids are. They need to make sure they get in early. The longer they allow them out, the more likely they will get in trouble. Additionally, boys and girls need to realize they don't need to get wasted to have fun or to be accepted. The sooner they recognize the importance of hanging with the kids they are most comfortable with, the better.
ohwell wrote:
<quoted text> I would hope kids learn about sex from their parents and in families with responsible parents, they do. The media taints kids' ideas about sex very early on which is why parents need to be diligent about educating them. Schools do a shtty job educating students about the basics. Why would anyone think they suddenly have some kind of authority in educating kids about sex?
My parents and the school I went to taught me well. Full sex-ed works. Nationwide teen pregnancy is at a historic low. The federal government stopped funding programs which were showing no or very little results and began funding only those which worked, meaning all federal money began going to full ed, rather than abstinence-only which has a terrible result record. That was in 2009 and it began showing immediate success. The year with the highest number of pregnant teens was 1958, before sex-ed. Right now, the state with the high number is a bible belt state, Mississippi, which legally bans full sex-ed in all public schools. No matter what you think ..... full sex-ed works. It's been proven.

ohwell wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2009 when I was in high school a date tried to force himself on me in the parking lot of the movie theater in the town I live in (I'm not from Steubenville). I was lucky and fought him off. It was about 8PM and neither of us were drinking or doing drugs. I trusted him, if I hadn't I wouldn't have excepted the date. No alcohol, drugs, it was early in the evening, we were at a movie theater not a party, and I had been educated about sex. What excuses are you going to make for that and him?

Rape also happens at all ages, not only to teens.
muscle head

Chicago, IL

#167 Mar 25, 2013
___Jenny___ wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
My parents and the school I went to taught me well. Full sex-ed works. Nationwide teen pregnancy is at a historic low. The federal government stopped funding programs which were showing no or very little results and began funding only those which worked, meaning all federal money began going to full ed, rather than abstinence-only which has a terrible result record. That was in 2009 and it began showing immediate success. The year with the highest number of pregnant teens was 1958, before sex-ed. Right now, the state with the high number is a bible belt state, Mississippi, which legally bans full sex-ed in all public schools. No matter what you think ..... full sex-ed works. It's been proven.
<quoted text>
In 2009 when I was in high school a date tried to force himself on me in the parking lot of the movie theater in the town I live in (I'm not from Steubenville). I was lucky and fought him off. It was about 8PM and neither of us were drinking or doing drugs. I trusted him, if I hadn't I wouldn't have excepted the date. No alcohol, drugs, it was early in the evening, we were at a movie theater not a party, and I had been educated about sex. What excuses are you going to make for that and him?
I'm sure he'll think of some.

Sorry that happened to you. If I'd been there, I would have crushed his skull.
ohwell

Carmel, IN

#168 Mar 25, 2013
___Jenny___ wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Oh brother. Maybe your school should have focused a little more on your reading and critical thinking because I have been specifically talking about this case which involves underage drinking at an unsupervised party. The fact you can suggest that I would make an excuse for your near date rape is flat out ignorant. Please don't tell me the sex education you received at your school enabled you to 'fight' off an attack. Please.......... A five year old would know what to do without the vaguest idea of what sex was.

Seems odd you never heard about this predator date type before you decided to 'trust' this guy. Wouldn't that quality sex education you received at your school teach girls to warn their classmates of such a predator? News like that circulates like wildfire in high school. Beyond that, the news dissipates.

It's a shame your parents weren't able to teach you 'the full works' because that is their responsibility to do so, not the govt.'s. I'm tired of seeing my tax dollars wasted because the parent is too stupid, lazy or selfish to educate their own children. How hard is it, really?

Mothers in my town would enroll their daughters in a self defense class as part of their brownie/girl scout/or club activity. Many mothers took the class with their daughters. Many also went on to take kick boxing for the fitness and social bonding. Most parents have been teaching about sex from the moment their children start asking questions. It's been so matter of fact for decades. Then there's the good touch bad touch program that starts in preschool. Parents work with their pediatricians and educate their children at a very early age. The rise of STD's suggests a great failure of your 'full sex ed works'. The incidents of HIV and other diseases have skyrocketed since the fifties. One in four adults have herpes. That's truly sad and an utter failure of government sex education.

I hardly think comparing teen pregnancies in the fifties with sex ed in this decade proves one thing. Heck, a kid gets more 'sex ed' spending five minutes on the Internet. Abortion has been available since the 70's....hence less pregnancies. Your outdated reasoning is ridiculous and off topic.

Date rape IS an issue and one that is very controversial. There are instances where the guy is completely at fault and others where it is hazy particularly when drugs and alcohol are involved. There are opportunists who use date rape as a tool to get money and there are valid date rape
1 post removed
ohwell

Carmel, IN

#170 Mar 25, 2013
muscle head wrote:
<quoted text>
....crushed his skull? My, you're a real peach.
muscle head

Chicago, IL

#171 Mar 25, 2013
ohwell wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh brother. Maybe your school should have focused a little more on your reading and critical thinking because I have been specifically talking about this case which involves underage drinking at an unsupervised party. The fact you can suggest that I would make an excuse for your near date rape is flat out ignorant. Please don't tell me the sex education you received at your school enabled you to 'fight' off an attack. Please.......... A five year old would know what to do without the vaguest idea of what sex was.
Seems odd you never heard about this predator date type before you decided to 'trust' this guy. Wouldn't that quality sex education you received at your school teach girls to warn their classmates of such a predator? News like that circulates like wildfire in high school. Beyond that, the news dissipates.
It's a shame your parents weren't able to teach you 'the full works' because that is their responsibility to do so, not the govt.'s. I'm tired of seeing my tax dollars wasted because the parent is too stupid, lazy or selfish to educate their own children. How hard is it, really?
Mothers in my town would enroll their daughters in a self defense class as part of their brownie/girl scout/or club activity. Many mothers took the class with their daughters. Many also went on to take kick boxing for the fitness and social bonding. Most parents have been teaching about sex from the moment their children start asking questions. It's been so matter of fact for decades. Then there's the good touch bad touch program that starts in preschool. Parents work with their pediatricians and educate their children at a very early age. The rise of STD's suggests a great failure of your 'full sex ed works'. The incidents of HIV and other diseases have skyrocketed since the fifties. One in four adults have herpes. That's truly sad and an utter failure of government sex education.
I hardly think comparing teen pregnancies in the fifties with sex ed in this decade proves one thing. Heck, a kid gets more 'sex ed' spending five minutes on the Internet. Abortion has been available since the 70's....hence less pregnancies. Your outdated reasoning is ridiculous and off topic.
Date rape IS an issue and one that is very controversial. There are instances where the guy is completely at fault and others where it is hazy particularly when drugs and alcohol are involved. There are opportunists who use date rape as a tool to get money and there are valid date rape
Your momma was the Typhoid Mary of herpes for the Midwest. 90% of cases can all be traced back to her. It's a good thing she's a corpse now because the only things she has crawling between her legs now are maggots. I think the herpes rate will go down now.
muscle head

Chicago, IL

#172 Mar 25, 2013
ohwell wrote:
<quoted text>
shit, is that why you have herpes on your face?

#173 Mar 25, 2013
ohwell wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to watch the 12 minute video made by one of them. He (the guy in the video) wasn't where (drunk) he didn't know what he was doing. Blaming alcohol or being drunk only tries to alibi rapists. As someone already stated from national statistics, a rape happens every 2.5 minutes in America. It isn't restricted to any certain scenario.

Rape is serious. It destroys girls' lives. Not just by the act itself but by people like you which attempt to blame the victim.

With that said ..... what I think really is you're trolling people on here just to argue with everyone.

#174 Mar 25, 2013
muscle head wrote:
<quoted text>
Ty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min sonicfilter 1,421,158
News Who is the real 'racist,' Clinton or Trump? Thi... 2 min bottlecap 176
News Clinton blames Republican leaders for a 'paraly... 4 min payme 1,641
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min replaytime 205,559
News Former Obama aide: Trump is a 'psychopath' 6 min Le Jimbo 121
News News 14 Mins Ago Trump rebukes racism claims as... 8 min southern at heart 145
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 8 min Cheech the Conser... 393,444
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 11 min Much potatos 8,129
News Trump calls on GOP to improve African-American ... 23 min Michel Montvert 438
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 40 min Denny CranesPlace 240,198
More from around the web