D.C. to vote on $11.50 minimum wage

D.C. to vote on $11.50 minimum wage

There are 905 comments on the WPTZ-TV Plattsburgh story from Dec 3, 2013, titled D.C. to vote on $11.50 minimum wage. In it, WPTZ-TV Plattsburgh reports that:

Once you're logged in, at the top of each article, video or slideshow you will see a list of your Facebook friends who recently visited Choose to share stories you'e read with your friends or turn sharing OFF to keep your reading experience anonymous .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WPTZ-TV Plattsburgh.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#280 Dec 11, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>again, that didn't even begin to touch the foolish comment that the number of dependents you have should determine your wage.
and yes if you work a minimum wage full time job, that should not be expected to be a living wage, that is not what those jobs are for.
You and I seem to be at ideological loggerheads. I see no purpose in continuing this debate.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#281 Dec 11, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>You and I seem to be at ideological loggerheads. I see no purpose in continuing this debate.
i see no way you can defend your statement that number of dependents should dictate wages...so yes, you should end it.

Location hidden

#282 Dec 11, 2013
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> you mean democrats, not liberals. You're welcome.
Agreed to by both houses of Congress, the GI Bill was signed into law by Pres. Franklin Delano Roosevelt, a Liberal if there ever was one.

Since: Jan 11

Hackettstown, NJ

#283 Dec 11, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Historically, the minimum wage is not known for excessive increases.
That's true, but you have to consider an employer would have to raise the wages of all his employees to compensate for it. Along with that comes higher payroll taxes.

We're not just talking about McDonalds when a minimum wage is set. Most food service businesses and other businesses have a very slim profit margin. Capital needed to expand, upgrade, or hire more employees may be affected.

Location hidden

#284 Dec 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
That's true, but you have to consider an employer would have to raise the wages of all his employees to compensate for it. Along with that comes higher payroll taxes.
We're not just talking about McDonalds when a minimum wage is set. Most food service businesses and other businesses have a very slim profit margin. Capital needed to expand, upgrade, or hire more employees may be affected.
Employers have survived minimum wage increases in the past, and I'm confident they can do so in the future.

I don't think it necessarily follows that a mandatory increase in minimum wage means that employers would have to raise wages of all employees.

Hackettstown, NJ

#285 Dec 11, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Employers have survived minimum wage increases in the past, and I'm confident they can do so in the future.
I don't think it necessarily follows that a mandatory increase in minimum wage means that employers would have to raise wages of all employees.
Sure it would. What would happen if an increase raised someone's wages equal to, say, a shift supervisor? The shift supervisor's wage would have to be increased. There would be no benefit to becoming a shift supervisor if you're paid the same as an entry level employee.

Since: Oct 08

Tucker, GA

#286 Dec 11, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed to by both houses of Congress, the GI Bill was signed into law by Pres. Franklin Delano Roosevelt, a Liberal if there ever was one.
FDR, now there was a president, worthy of 4 terms in office. There is a rumor that Obama plans to break that record....I have no doubt he can do it, the sky is the limit with this cowboy

Location hidden

#287 Dec 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it would. What would happen if an increase raised someone's wages equal to, say, a shift supervisor? The shift supervisor's wage would have to be increased. There would be no benefit to becoming a shift supervisor if you're paid the same as an entry level employee.
In a just world, no shift supervisor would be earning anywhere near a minimum wage. This reminds me of Walgreen's employees, who are given the title of "associate" instead of a fair wage.

Location hidden

#288 Dec 11, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
FDR, now there was a president, worthy of 4 terms in office. There is a rumor that Obama plans to break that record....I have no doubt he can do it, the sky is the limit with this cowboy
May the heavens open for him!

There is also a rumor that Ted Cruz had a conscience implant. I don't trust rumors.
US Not Numbr 1

Colonial Heights, VA

#289 Dec 11, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed to by both houses of Congress, the GI Bill was signed into law by Pres. Franklin Delano Roosevelt, a Liberal if there ever was one.
Yeah he was so liberal that he locked up American citizens without a trial. What a great guy.

Hackettstown, NJ

#290 Dec 11, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>In a just world, no shift supervisor would be earning anywhere near a minimum wage. This reminds me of Walgreen's employees, who are given the title of "associate" instead of a fair wage.
That was a hypothetical scenario. Let's run with longevity pay.:-)

Hackettstown, NJ

#291 Dec 11, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
Ha! He couldn't do otherwise during of WWII.

Hackettstown, NJ

#292 Dec 11, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>May the heavens open for him!
There is also a rumor that Ted Cruz had a conscience implant. I don't trust rumors.
You don't like green eggs and ham?

Hackettstown, NJ

#293 Dec 11, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
The oceans will recede and the planet will heal. It is the second coming, I tell you.:-)

Location hidden

#294 Dec 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't like green eggs and ham?
Not when they come directly from the pig.

Location hidden

#295 Dec 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
The oceans will recede and the planet will heal. It is the second coming, I tell you.:-)
We could use a second coming. The first one was nothing to rave about.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#296 Dec 11, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
Liberal's of today would have no use for FDR's Liberalism which nothing was free under FDR's Liberalism and you had to work for it which Liberals today prefer allowing people to live on the dole as FDR called it which FDR was against and Liberals today proved FDR right too.

Changing attitudes

How food stamps morphed from temporary relief to permanent entitlement

By Marvin Olasky
Issue: "Food stamps surge," Nov. 19, 2011

http://www.worldmag.com/2011/11/changing_atti...
Joe

Chalfont, PA

#297 Dec 12, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Liberal's of today would have no use for FDR's Liberalism which nothing was free under FDR's Liberalism and you had to work for it which Liberals today prefer allowing people to live on the dole as FDR called it which FDR was against and Liberals today proved FDR right too.

Changing attitudes

How food stamps morphed from temporary relief to permanent entitlement

By Marvin Olasky
Issue: "Food stamps surge," Nov. 19, 2011

http://www.worldmag.com/2011/11/changing_atti...
Sometimes I think we live in an upside down that confuses much of the world - especially Europe. When you have a corporate-dominated economy that produces produces nothing but low-wage jobs that a person cannot survive on, of course the number of people applying for food stamps will increase. If your eligible for food stamps the rational response is to apply.

Instead of bemoaning the number of people on food stamps and directing criticism toward the recipients, we should be criticizing corporations - mainly fast food and retail -- for paying poverty wages and forcing workers onto food stamps. These are billion dollar companies treating their workers like dirt. They can afford to pay better wages and give more hours.
Aphelion

Satellite Beach, FL

#298 Dec 12, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes I think we live in an upside down that confuses much of the world - especially Europe. When you have a corporate-dominated economy that produces produces nothing but low-wage jobs that a person cannot survive on, of course the number of people applying for food stamps will increase. If your eligible for food stamps the rational response is to apply.
Instead of bemoaning the number of people on food stamps and directing criticism toward the recipients, we should be criticizing corporations - mainly fast food and retail -- for paying poverty wages and forcing workers onto food stamps. These are billion dollar companies treating their workers like dirt. They can afford to pay better wages and give more hours.
Of course you would absolve the individual for any responsibility in regards to their own future, and personal financial situation. If they are poor then it must be someone else's fault, as it certainly cannot be the fault of the individual. It was surely someone else's fault that they have limited education, no motivation, no achievable goals, and no future.

You Joe are the picture of the American loser.
Keep that hand out.
Joe

Chalfont, PA

#299 Dec 12, 2013
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>Of course you would absolve the individual for any responsibility in regards to their own future, and personal financial situation. If they are poor then it must be someone else's fault, as it certainly cannot be the fault of the individual. It was surely someone else's fault that they have limited education, no motivation, no achievable goals, and no future.

You Joe are the picture of the American loser.
Keep that hand out.
I have understanding, kindness and empathy. You have nothing but hatred and selfishness.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min BlueFlag 1,581,092
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min MOGA 25,833
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min Demoscum 286,984
News One dead after car plows into group of proteste... 5 min Chilli J 210
★ Thousands Rally For Anti Racism In Bost... 9 min Ronald 3
News Police: Suspect who drove over protesters at Vi... 11 min Chilli J 141
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 17 min susan9828 316,331
More from around the web