A year later: Immigrants fear reform ...

A year later: Immigrants fear reform will never pass

There are 200 comments on the Times Herald story from Jun 22, 2014, titled A year later: Immigrants fear reform will never pass. In it, Times Herald reports that:

Antonio Velasquez, who fled civil war in Guatemala as a teen in 1990, has given up hope that Congress will pass legislation that allows him and his wife to gain legal status in the U.S. a??If Congress doesna??t do something, the great responsibility lies with President Obama because he is the one who promised that he was going to achieve ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times Herald.

Memo From Turner

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#75 Aug 28, 2014
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
I pay taxes everything time I purchase gas or go to Walmart.
You are also paying property and school taxes. Either directly or through a landlord if you rent.
the Light

El Paso, TX

#76 Aug 28, 2014
the Light wrote:
<quoted text>
No , the problem is solved when we hear all ILLEGAL ALIENS are sent to Ca. If Obama won't deport them, they belong with the fruits and nuts.
No, I mean for your'e business. You pay nothing to Government like the rest of us. Some day your going to get caught and owe a big amount. Do you give a fake ss # and someone elses name to tax refund? Being legal would hurt you. You'd have to pay rent and taxes taken from your check.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#77 Aug 29, 2014
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
I pay taxes everything time I purchase gas or go to Walmart.
Big fat deal...do you pay income tax for your earnings, mr, honesty????
the Light

El Paso, TX

#78 Aug 29, 2014
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Big fat deal...do you pay income tax for your earnings, mr, honesty????
Why do they want to be Citizens, they already get everything for free . Has he ever thought,he might have to pay taxes through his work, might have to become legal?
the Light

El Paso, TX

#79 Aug 29, 2014
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
You are also paying property and school taxes. Either directly or through a landlord if you rent.
No he gets Hovernment Housing-he pays nothing.
wild child

Brooklyn, NY

#80 Aug 30, 2014
Amnesty is dead, even obamas illegal amesty is dead.clean up america is coming

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#81 Aug 30, 2014
wild child wrote:
Let's hope your ccomment is correct and it is not too late
the Light

El Paso, TX

#82 Aug 30, 2014
wild child wrote:
Hope it truly is dead, and not just postponed till after Midterms.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#83 Aug 30, 2014
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>I pay taxes everything time I purchase gas or go to Walmart.
Yes a moron like you would think that is what taxes are.........

But that is why you were kicked out of Mexico.......

Location hidden

#84 Aug 31, 2014
the Light wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do they want to be Citizens, they already get everything for free . Has he ever thought,he might have to pay taxes through his work, might have to become legal?
Oh, not to worry, this poser would figure a way to game our system.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#85 Aug 31, 2014
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, not to worry, this poser would figure a way to game our system.
YEP they have a good underground system
2 posts removed

Location hidden

#88 Sep 2, 2014
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
My girlfriend gets government assistance but I don't.
You take advantage of it by staying at her home and eaitng meals made with the crap she bought with her government issued EBT card. You benefit indirectly...you are a user.
wild child

Bronx, NY

#89 Sep 3, 2014
It will never ever happen, I have been saying this for over a year.amen you people have been played again.now we put border back and deport.

“For The Love Of Country”

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#90 Sep 4, 2014
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Teddy, There are no steps that can be taken to legalize their status. That is something we see on Topix quite a bit, but that is in fact the whole point of the debate. Virtually everybody here illegally would take whatever steps are required to legalize their status, but there are no options available.
Now if he had requested asylum when he came it would be a different story.
Yes, there are legal steps. You apply for entrance from your home country.
You accept there is a waiting list.
You accept you may not get approved.
You accept it may be temporary.
You accept you have to prove you have something to offer this country.
You accept if you are temporary you return back to your country when you are suppose to.
You accept to respect our culture over your own in our country.
You accept speaking the native language which is English.
You accept to respect our laws.
You accept our welfare system is not for your taking.
You accept you are wholly responsible for your personal needs in this country.
You accept you are responsible for any debt you accrue in this country.

These are just some of the laws/expectations and they are no different then any other country's expectations of immigrants or visitors entering their country legally.

As for "asylum" illegals aliens do not meet the criteria.

We have denied asylum knowing the person may be persecuted upon return to their home country. Asylum is not something to be taken lightly. Neither should this illegal influx but it seems it is in fact taken very lightly to of no real concern to this Congress and not just because it is under Obama's administration but that of others prior to Obama as well. Bush did nothing, Clinton did nothing but grant several amnesties that were swept under the carpet.

We have been alerted to the illegal invasion occurring in this country yet we do absolutely nothing to stop it from a government stand point. And then we have American citizens saying immigration needs to be reformed? The only reform we need is the enforcement of the current laws and stop the illegal citizenship given at birth by illegal aliens. They are not entitled to citizenship status/rights and never have been. It was a manipulation by the hospitals and government and they kept it under wraps till the invasion became known to the citizens.

I have no problems with anybody wanting a better life. Just do it legally and not at the expense of others.

“For The Love Of Country”

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#91 Sep 4, 2014
lol, s/b solely responsible
Memo From Turner

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#92 Sep 4, 2014
- Lady Liberty - wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there are legal steps. You apply for entrance from your home country.
You accept there is a waiting list.
You accept you may not get approved.
You accept it may be temporary.
You accept you have to prove you have something to offer this country.
You accept if you are temporary you return back to your country when you are suppose to.
You accept to respect our culture over your own in our country.
You accept speaking the native language which is English.
You accept to respect our laws.
You accept our welfare system is not for your taking.
You accept you are wholly responsible for your personal needs in this country.
You accept you are responsible for any debt you accrue in this country.
These are just some of the laws/expectations and they are no different then any other country's expectations of immigrants or visitors entering their country legally.
As for "asylum" illegals aliens do not meet the criteria.
We have denied asylum knowing the person may be persecuted upon return to their home country. Asylum is not something to be taken lightly. Neither should this illegal influx but it seems it is in fact taken very lightly to of no real concern to this Congress and not just because it is under Obama's administration but that of others prior to Obama as well. Bush did nothing, Clinton did nothing but grant several amnesties that were swept under the carpet.
We have been alerted to the illegal invasion occurring in this country yet we do absolutely nothing to stop it from a government stand point. And then we have American citizens saying immigration needs to be reformed? The only reform we need is the enforcement of the current laws and stop the illegal citizenship given at birth by illegal aliens. They are not entitled to citizenship status/rights and never have been. It was a manipulation by the hospitals and government and they kept it under wraps till the invasion became known to the citizens.
I have no problems with anybody wanting a better life. Just do it legally and not at the expense of others.
The previous poster was saying anybody here illegally should just make the effort to have their status adjusted. I was pointing out that there is no way to do this. That is why people are debating immigration reform.

Leaving the country to return home an start over again is not really an option either since US law imposes severe penalties on undocumented people who try to LEAVE the US. We should be encouraging people to leave. Not penalizing them.

Asylum laws are no different. Nobody likes what is going on now, but it is all perfectly legal the way the laws are written.

There are many well meaning people who insist that no changes should ever be made to immigration law under any circumstances. These same people would probably be surprised to find out how many counterproductive laws there are on the books.

By the way, the media only became aware of the asylum issues recently, but people have been exploiting this for the past ten years.
Guess Who

Sterling, CO

#93 Sep 4, 2014
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
The previous poster was saying anybody here illegally should just make the effort to have their status adjusted. I was pointing out that there is no way to do this. That is why people are debating immigration reform.
Leaving the country to return home an start over again is not really an option either since US law imposes severe penalties on undocumented people who try to LEAVE the US. We should be encouraging people to leave. Not penalizing them.
Asylum laws are no different. Nobody likes what is going on now, but it is all perfectly legal the way the laws are written.
There are many well meaning people who insist that no changes should ever be made to immigration law under any circumstances. These same people would probably be surprised to find out how many counterproductive laws there are on the books.
By the way, the media only became aware of the asylum issues recently, but people have been exploiting this for the past ten years.
We have far too many people who have waited legitimately for citizenship. Why should we give a rats azz about any bastiche who wouldn't wait his or her turn? Screw em and send em home barefoot!!! NO SYMPATHY!!!
Guess Who

Sterling, CO

#94 Sep 4, 2014
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's not make a big deal over it.
You and your type are the main reason we HATE!!!
Memo From Turner

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#95 Sep 4, 2014
Guess Who wrote:
<quoted text>
We have far too many people who have waited legitimately for citizenship. Why should we give a rats azz about any bastiche who wouldn't wait his or her turn? Screw em and send em home barefoot!!! NO SYMPATHY!!!
So said the man who "earned" his citizenship by being fortunate enough to draw his first breath within the territorial confines of the US. Breath in. Breath out. That is probably the last thing you accomplished in life.

It is touching to see your concern for the plight of those who actually had to do something for their citizenship. Somehow I get the feeling that if you saw these people on the street you would label them as "illegal".
Earl

Fayetteville, GA

#96 Sep 4, 2014
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
So said the man who "earned" his citizenship by being fortunate enough to draw his first breath within the territorial confines of the US. Breath in. Breath out. That is probably the last thing you accomplished in life.
It is touching to see your concern for the plight of those who actually had to do something for their citizenship. Somehow I get the feeling that if you saw these people on the street you would label them as "illegal".
What they did for their citizenship was to violate our immigration laws, pendejo. Arrest and deport.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Donald Trump's judicial nominee under fire for ... 2 min gnnn 12
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 4 min USAEPA 16,832
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Tuffet 1,761,909
News Barack and Michelle Obama sign Netflix deal to ... 33 min Correct 181
News Lawmakers get first look at secret Russia probe... 37 min gnnn 7
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 38 min Quivering Lip Lib... 80,697
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 1 hr Into The Night 40,025
News Liberals say immigration enforcement is racist,... 2 hr Ms Mack 1,131
News Donald Trump calls unauthorized immigrants 'ani... 4 hr Magic Utah Uwear 369
News Supreme Court delivers blow to workers' rights 7 hr Lawrence Wolf 144