Democrats urge Obama to be ready to b...

Democrats urge Obama to be ready to bypass Congress on debt cap

There are 279 comments on the Reuters story from Jan 11, 2013, titled Democrats urge Obama to be ready to bypass Congress on debt cap. In it, Reuters reports that:

Top Democratic senators urged President Barack Obama on Friday to be ready to raise the debt ceiling without congressional approval in order to avert a damaging debt default.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#133 Jan 13, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
The Muslim Brotherhood has taken power in every country we fought for in the Middle East
Lying C*T74: also told us that 1/3 Democrat votes were illegal.

Open mouth: out spills another sticky lie.
Voice of Reality

Colonial Heights, VA

#134 Jan 13, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Bush did kill Americans, by the thousands, by sending them to an obscene phony war in Iraq.
And anyone who can describe Dubya as a great president should be put in restraints.
Actually, little larry, during the Bush term there was not a thousand military people killed in Iraq. Hey larry, I have just named you the mouse that roared. The invitation is still open, you wanted to help me pack. Are you ALL mouth and no action? Perhaps you should have had two mouths so you could talk while you work on your customers.
Voice of Reality

Colonial Heights, VA

#135 Jan 13, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry Voice, I never got your invitation. I'll make you a counter offer. Visit the Fiat dealership in Colorado Springs any weekday. You'll receive a warm welcome.
Denny's, my arse.
So, Larry, you work at the Fiat Dealership in Colorado Springs? I will be sure to call there tomorrow to make an appointment. I might have known that you would be associated with those Flag little cars. Hell, fiat could not even get the name right, the Fiat 500? It is actually a retro Fiat 600.
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#136 Jan 13, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
He said no such thing.
Why not go back to your birther nonsense, impeachment is even too silly for you.
copy and paste: from the Washington Post

Obama: My Way or the Highway on Extending Debt Limit
Inside Story of Obama’s Struggle To Keep Congress From Controlling Outcome of Debt Ceiling Crisis
By Bob Woodward, Associate Editor of the Washington Post
Dateline September 8, 2012: President Obama summoned the top four congressional leaders to the White House on Saturday morning, July 23, 2011. The night before, House Speaker John A. Boehner had withdrawn from negotiations to raise the $14 trillion federal debt limit and save the government from a catastrophic default.“Nobody wanted to be there,” Boehner later recalled.“The president’s still pissed.”

You want to read more - go out and get it google it for yourself.

Yes, I should have wrote Obama said "my way or the highway" instead of "my way or no way", Means the SAME NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT.
2 posts removed

Location hidden

#139 Jan 13, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, little larry, during the Bush term there was not a thousand military people killed in Iraq.
Several thousand.

Location hidden

#140 Jan 13, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
copy and paste: from the Washington Post
Obama: My Way or the Highway on Extending Debt Limit
Oh... I see...

So Obama didn't say it, like you said?

Thanks for providing the proof, coot.
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#141 Jan 13, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh... I see...
So Obama didn't say it, like you said?
Thanks for providing the proof, coot.
It means the same thing - twist the words any way you want - its still the same. You knew he said it but you did not want to face it and you knew you LIED when you said he did not say it.
2 posts removed

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#144 Jan 13, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
The Muslim Brotherhood has taken power in every country we fought for in the Middle East. They have even infiltrated the Obama Administration. I am sure you don't have access to that information as your sources are telling you we won, and we are doing fine over there, but we have lost thanks to the Imperial President.
Your condition is deteriorating. Drink some cocoa and try to get some rest.
1 post removed

Location hidden

#146 Jan 13, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, little larry, during the Bush term there was not a thousand military people killed in Iraq. Hey larry, I have just named you the mouse that roared. The invitation is still open, you wanted to help me pack. Are you ALL mouth and no action? Perhaps you should have had two mouths so you could talk while you work on your customers.
Evidently you didn't read my reply. First of all, my "I'll help you pack" line was never meant to be taken literally. It was a sarcastic way to tell you what I thought of your comments.
However, if you insist, my counter offer remains open. Fiat dealership, Colorado Springs, any weekday.

And yes, Voiceless, during Bush's tenure, and as a result of his tenure, you're correct. It was not a thousand of our military killed in Iraq. It was well over five thousand.

Location hidden

#147 Jan 13, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
It means the same thing - twist the words any way you want
IT DOESN'T MEAN THE SAME THING, coot!

***YOU*** are the one "twisting words". a QUOTE is ***EXACTLY** what a person said, not what you think he meant to say or you think you know what he means.

Especially when it is very clear you do not have full control of your own faculties.

Location hidden

#148 Jan 13, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
You knew he said it

HE DID NOT SAY IT you m/f c/s liar.

Location hidden

#149 Jan 13, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
You want to read more - go out and get it google it for yourself.
Google what, coot? the fifty top things that Obama never said but you think they sounded pretty good?
1 post removed

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#151 Jan 13, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Section 4 of the 14th amendment to the Constitution may differ with you.
From wikipedia: "Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned...."

Hmmm. I see your point -- imposing an arbitrary limit on the public debt the United States has authorized by law does appear quite contrary to the language of this Amendment. Social Security would appear to be SPECIFICALLY exempted from any default on payments of public debt.

Sadly, the interpretation of this Amendment, and its basis for ignoring the 1939 Debt Ceiling, would fall to a rather activist "conservative" Supreme Court. Maybe they could actually go with a factual analysis -- but the opinions of those who found Obamacare "unconstitutional" were simply Tea Party talking points translated into dense legalese.

Your thoughts?
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#152 Jan 13, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>..,
HE DID NOT SAY IT you m/f c/s liar.
POTTY MOUTH If he wrote it on your forehead you would say he did not say it. Your lord and master Obama is not the same as mine.

LIAR

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#153 Jan 13, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor Au Dumbo: all that off topic, cross posted Spam left over from the election and no place to put it... more Soros bogey man puff.
How are those 14 swing states working out for you DUMBO?
Flagged for Au DumboSpam...
Got that proof yet........didn't think so.

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#154 Jan 13, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Google what, coot? the fifty top things that Obama never said but you think they sounded pretty good?
Bin Laden death photos may never see light of day... hard to show what didn't happen, just like his COLB.

Location hidden

#155 Jan 13, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
So, Larry, you work at the Fiat Dealership in Colorado Springs? I will be sure to call there tomorrow to make an appointment. I might have known that you would be associated with those Flag little cars. Hell, fiat could not even get the name right, the Fiat 500? It is actually a retro Fiat 600.
Don't confuse my screen name with my real name. Just visit.

Location hidden

#156 Jan 13, 2013
maddmaxx7 wrote:
<quoted text>
How US Economic Warfare Provoked Japan's Attack on Pearl Harbor
www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp...
May 1, 2006 – Roosevelt hoped that such sanctions would goad the Japanese into making a rash mistake by launching a war against the United States, which ...
How do you relate these two events? Does this Roosevelt info undo the casualities incurred in the Iraq War based on Bush's lies?

Location hidden

#157 Jan 13, 2013
Madaman wrote:
<quoted text>
From wikipedia: "Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned...."
Hmmm. I see your point -- imposing an arbitrary limit on the public debt the United States has authorized by law does appear quite contrary to the language of this Amendment. Social Security would appear to be SPECIFICALLY exempted from any default on payments of public debt.
Sadly, the interpretation of this Amendment, and its basis for ignoring the 1939 Debt Ceiling, would fall to a rather activist "conservative" Supreme Court. Maybe they could actually go with a factual analysis -- but the opinions of those who found Obamacare "unconstitutional" were simply Tea Party talking points translated into dense legalese.
Your thoughts?
Simply that Obama could increase the debt limit by executive order, while acting in accordance with the 14th amendment.
That said, I hope it doesn't come to that. It would be much better for the country, and for both political parties, if Obama could do this with congressional approval. But, whatever it takes to prevent a worldwide catastrophe.
Brad

Manchester, CT

#158 Jan 13, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>How do you relate these two events? Does this Roosevelt info undo the casualities incurred in the Iraq War based on Bush's lies?
Yes.
Or can just Oblamer play the blame card?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min Bruddah Z 340,679
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 7 min NotSoDivineMsM 80,322
News Giuliani struggles to help Trump with his defense 8 min Team America 52
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 10 min positronium 39,959
News Congress moves to dismantle key post-crisis ban... 12 min He Named Me Black... 1
News Barack and Michelle Obama sign Netflix deal to ... 13 min He Named Me Black... 97
News Texas school shooting suspect held in isolation... 15 min Anonymous3 33
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 16 min JCPete 1,760,654
News Supreme Court delivers blow to workers' rights 17 min inbred Genius 55
News Donald Trump calls unauthorized immigrants 'ani... 56 min spud 234
News Trump: Justice Department planted spy in 2016 c... 1 hr gnnn 158