Census: US poverty rate swells to nearly 1 in 6

Sep 13, 2011 Full story: KTVB Boise 549

The ranks of U.S. poor swelled to nearly 1 in 6 people last year, reaching a new high as long-term unemployment woes left millions of Americans struggling and out of work.

Full Story
tom

Blooming Prairie, MN

#24 Sep 13, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
For once I agree with you. How can you be "living in poverty" when you have 2 or 3 cars per family living in a 2500sq ft 4 bd 3 ba home with a flat screen tv in every room with 500 channels, all the while carrying around the latest Ipod/Ipad/Iphone/Iwhatever?
Poverty is what Haitians or Somalias live in. VERY FEW Americans have ANY clue what poverty looks like, much less are living in it.
Again you are confused. People who have 2-3 cars and live in a 2500sq ft house would have to make way over 100k a year to do so. Where I live(small town USA) a house like you describe cost 150-200k. That means a 1500 and up(depend on credit and down payment) a month payment. A bank would not borrow you money for that cost of house if you were in poverty. Stop the lies!!!!!!Now I know people who work 50-60 hours a week and live in a one bedroom apartment that if you seen it you would not even step in because it is a dump and a crap hole. And they have no car and a old hand me down TV. Sto[p buying into the leis and spreading them. You have no clue how a normal common person lives because you are rich and have it made easy.

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#25 Sep 13, 2011
davy wrote:
Republicunts love to lie. The unemployment rate was over 8% when Obama took office. Gas was over four bucks when Dubya left office.<quoted text>



You Flowking Liar.


How much have gas prices gone up since Obama was inaugurated Jan. 20, 2009?

That week, the average per-gallon price of unleaded gas in Texas was $1.72, according to the AAA, which tracks prices at the pump by daily surveying more than 100,000 self-service gas stations.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/20...


- OUCH!-



The Unemployment Rate was 7% according to CNN on Jan 20, 2009.





...Get recovery package passed and implemented

Topping Obama's economic to-do list will be getting an economic stimulus bill through Congress.

Obama has gone out of his way to tamp down expectations. He's noted in several speeches that the economy will likely get worse before it gets better. And even his top economic advisers say that the best his proposals (most of which are included in the House Democrats'$825 billion stimulus bill) can do is to create or save between 3 million and 4 million jobs. That's enough to keep the unemployment rate from getting worse by 2010, they estimate, but not enough to actually reduce it from where it is today, at 7%.


READ MORON!
http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/20/news/economy/...





Why are progressives so Fcuking Stupid? Is it because they are Poverty Magnets?



“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#26 Sep 13, 2011
McCarthy was right wrote:
The standard of “poverty” in America is ridiculous.
It means newer cars and trucks, flat screen TVs, cell phones, the latest electronic game and gadget, etc, etc…
It's more correctly called the latest headcount of Dimocrat voters, all dependent on Big Brother.
You deserve to be part of that ridiculous group.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#27 Sep 13, 2011
Les Claypool wrote:
We told you so, but you voted for him anyway.
Don't blame me. I didn't vote for Burning Bush. You know, the one who took a surplus and turned it into the deepest hole since the Great Depression.

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#28 Sep 13, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
For once I agree with you. How can you be "living in poverty" when you have 2 or 3 cars per family living in a 2500sq ft 4 bd 3 ba home with a flat screen tv in every room with 500 channels, all the while carrying around the latest Ipod/Ipad/Iphone/Iwhatever?
Poverty is what Haitians or Somalias live in. VERY FEW Americans have ANY clue what poverty looks like, much less are living in it.
Aren't you the arrogant Ass A Wipe that runs around claiming how good you're stocks are doing?
W-T-F do YOU know about Poverty sh*thead!




The Poverty Rate is based on 40-50 yr old income levels & food costs so the 15% Rate Obama has driven the country into is in reality MUCH MUCH Higher when real costs of food and more expensive Housing/Health Care/ Gasoline is taken into account.



$25,000 Income.$25K! Think about it moron!





A Poverty Line That's Out of Date and Out of Favor

New York Times
2006

Economists have long argued that the poverty line should be revised to provide an accurate picture of who is actually poor. Yet it has remained essentially untouched since 1963, when Mollie Orshansky, an economist at the Social Security Administration, first came up with it.

Today, there is a consensus among economists that it is no longer on the mark. "Everyone agrees we need a better measure," said Douglas J. Besharov, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and a professor of public policy at the University of Maryland.

To him and many others, the public lacks an accurate test of who is poor, making it far harder to justify actions, whether by government or by individuals, intended to alleviate poverty.

No one blames Ms. Orshansky. She devised a simple and elegant measure of poverty based on the data available at the time. And she never expected that it would be used today as a trigger for billions of dollars in government spending.

Her method was to use the cost of a nutritionally adequate diet as the basis for a cost-of-living estimate and to adjust for families of various sizes and compositions.

Using data from the late 1950's, she estimated that families spent about one-third of their income on food, on average. To come up with a poverty threshold, she multiplied the cost of the nutritionally adequate diet by three.

Each year, the official threshold is adjusted for inflation. The poverty line for a single person under 65 is now $10,160 in annual income, before taxes; for a family of four, it's $19,806. According to the United States Census Bureau, the total number of Americans living in poverty in 2004 was 37 million.

The thresholds have risen over the years to reflect broad price changes, but the assumptions made by Ms. Orshansky remain intact.

Still, much has changed since the 1950's. Today, families spend something close to 12 percent of income on food, for example, not one-third. And while some of the remaining 88 percent may go to nonessentials, items such as housing, transportation and health care are significant, and expensive, factors.

Much is at stake. The poverty line is widely viewed as an indicator of social progress. A decline in poverty is seen as a national achievement, and an increase in poverty as a sign of problems.





http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/12/business/yo...






Obama is the POVERTY PRESIDENT.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#29 Sep 13, 2011
This why we need the jobs bill to pass like right now!

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#30 Sep 13, 2011
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>You deserve to be part of that ridiculous group.


You bring nothing but stupidity to the table larry.


Must SUCK being you.

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#31 Sep 13, 2011
Hot Karl wrote:
This why we need the jobs bill to pass like right now!



UNEMPLOYMENT Has RISEN under Obama's Idiot "Jobs" plans.


Unemployment ROSE to 10.3% after Obama's faux Stimulus I and 10.1% the next year. People leaving the Job market have distorted the number now to 9.1% when it's really 11-12%.



The Obama Presidency is a constant DOWNGRADE.

Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

#32 Sep 13, 2011
WOODCHUCK wrote:
"CHANGE YA CAN BELIEVE IN AS YOU DROP DEAD"
Bush?.....unemployment rate under 5%
Gas?.......$1.79 a gal.
SOME CHANGE! As usual the poor got poorer..
OBAMA wants to run on this??,,,LET HIM!
But he still will get the black vote..if they vote at all?.....Costs money to vote......
OBAMA THE INCOMPETENT!
Come on, if you want people to believe you, you have to lie much much bigger. For example, instead of saying bush's unemployment numbers were under 5% say they were under 1%. Instead of saying gas was $1.79 a gallon, say it was 15 cents per gallon. Instead of saying Obama wants to run on this, say he is a communist Muslim.
Bite Me

Kewanee, IL

#33 Sep 13, 2011
WOODCHUCK wrote:
"CHANGE YA CAN BELIEVE IN AS YOU DROP DEAD"
Bush?.....unemployment rate under 5%
Gas?.......$1.79 a gal.
SOME CHANGE! As usual the poor got poorer..
OBAMA wants to run on this??,,,LET HIM!
But he still will get the black vote..if they vote at all?.....Costs money to vote......
OBAMA THE INCOMPETENT!
Well Said
Eleanor

Mundelein, IL

#34 Sep 13, 2011
morons united wrote:
The wealth distribution is appallingly favor the entertainers and the ceo's and it's not swlowing down. Why do thyey deserve too much? Why are they so important?
You might want to point the finger at yourself and every other consumer of pay TV (cable, satillite, etc.) Entertainers don't succeed WITHOUT the financial support of the general public.

As far as CEO's are concerned, they are ultimately responsible for the success or failure of a company. If they would get paid less, they'd find another job elsewhere (usually with the competition). If they didn't DELIVER success to a company, they would be out of a job.(I personally wouldn't want the responsibility and definitely couldn't handle the pressure)
tom

Blooming Prairie, MN

#35 Sep 13, 2011
Eleanor wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to point the finger at yourself and every other consumer of pay TV (cable, satillite, etc.) Entertainers don't succeed WITHOUT the financial support of the general public.
As far as CEO's are concerned, they are ultimately responsible for the success or failure of a company. If they would get paid less, they'd find another job elsewhere (usually with the competition). If they didn't DELIVER success to a company, they would be out of a job.(I personally wouldn't want the responsibility and definitely couldn't handle the pressure)
Sad thing is these CEO,s get multi millions and even if they trash a company and send it into bankrupt they get huge golden parachute why the workers get screwed.
Bogus Pogus

Atlanta, GA

#36 Sep 13, 2011
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>No doubt, this will be retardo's response to every question ask when debating his GOP challenger, the narcissistic clown won't be able to run on his own record.
OBAMA NOW HAS A RECORD. HE CAN NO LONGER CLAIM TO BE A BLANK SLATE.

Fact: Since President Obama’s stimulus was passed in Feb. 2009, the nation has lost 1.7 million jobs.

February 2009: 132,837,000

August 2011: 131,132,000

Change: Loss of 1,705,000

At this rate, the job loss bleeding will continue at a faster rate. His Jobs Act is another re-run of the first and second stimulous plans, including the same type of temporary public service and union jobs attached to increased taxes in 2013. THIS JOBS ACT IS THE KISS OF DEATH FOR AMERICA. URGENT.

PLEASE SEND AROUND ASAP! OBAMA IS ALMOST FINISHED DESTROYING AMERICA. HE MUST NOT WIN 2012.

Stats: http://www.rickperry.org/news/obama-stimulus/
Bogus Pogus

Atlanta, GA

#37 Sep 13, 2011
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Don't blame me. I didn't vote for Burning Bush. You know, the one who took a surplus and turned it into the deepest hole since the Great Depression.
Clinton did not have a surplus, unless you accept Enron type accounting. He borrowed from Social Security to pay off the debt which means he therefore eliminated investment income which would have been earned for future SS pay outs. No surprise there is a crisis now with the SS fund.

Bush also turned around the Wall St crisis caused by 9/11 in a matter of months. Obama, 3 years later, after his promises to turn the economy around, has his peons blaming Reagan now.

“Liberals hate free speech!”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#38 Sep 13, 2011
We have the richest poor people on the planet!
SNAFU

Chandler, AZ

#39 Sep 13, 2011
Dances with Wolves wrote:
<quoted text>
And don't forget that it's "Congress's Fault" (even though he had a super majority the first two years, and only the House is GOP now.
And, when all else fails, it's that crazy Tea Party's fault for pointing out that the Government is broke - and the Emperor has no clothes.
Nikita Kruchev once said, "Russia does not have to destroy America with missiles; America will destroy from within; and we will bury you."

Well, Nikita may have been correct, especially with a man who in his early life mentored under Communist Frank Marshal Davis and an apt student of Saul Alinsky as well. This president learned his lesson well, subverting rule of law and making a mockery of our Constitution....
Bite Me

Kewanee, IL

#40 Sep 13, 2011
The laughing liberal wrote:
U.S. Poverty Rate at 15 Percent, Is the Highest Since 1993
FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!
By SABRINA TAVERNISE
Published: September 13, 2011
WASHINGTON — The percentage of Americans living in poverty last year rose to the highest level since 1993, the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, fresh evidence that the disappointing economic recovery has done nothing for the country’s poorest citizens.
Readers’ Comments
Another 2.6 million people slipped below the poverty line in 2010, meaning 46.2 million people now live in poverty in the United States, the highest number in the 52 years the Census Bureau has been tracking it, said Trudi Renwick, chief of the Poverty Statistic Branch at the Census Bureau.
That figure represented 15.1 percent of the population, up from 14.3 percent in 2009, and 11.7 percent at the beginning of the decade in 2001. The poverty line in 2010 for a family of four was $22,113.
Hopey Changey!
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/us/14census...
So that is when President Clinton got out of office. Another Democrat but I voted for him. Live and learn!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#41 Sep 13, 2011
tom wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you are confused. People who have 2-3 cars and live in a 2500sq ft house would have to make way over 100k a year to do so. Where I live(small town USA) a house like you describe cost 150-200k. That means a 1500 and up(depend on credit and down payment) a month payment. A bank would not borrow you money for that cost of house if you were in poverty. Stop the lies!!!!!!Now I know people who work 50-60 hours a week and live in a one bedroom apartment that if you seen it you would not even step in because it is a dump and a crap hole. And they have no car and a old hand me down TV. Sto[p buying into the leis and spreading them. You have no clue how a normal common person lives because you are rich and have it made easy.
Oh get off you high horse already. I grew up in ACTUAL poverty on a family farm; the first house I lived in didn't even have indoor plumbing, and that was in the 1960's! So don't try to tell me how hard people have it today.

Drive through the poorest neighborhoods in any city and you'll see the same thing- everybody yapping away on their cellphones driving cars with expensive rims. Maybe if they spent less money on cellphones, rims, and the latest designer clothes they'd have enough money to rent a decent place.

They have the right to make stupid choices with their money, but they DON'T have a right to more of my taxes to support their stupidity.
tom

Blooming Prairie, MN

#42 Sep 13, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh get off you high horse already. I grew up in ACTUAL poverty on a family farm; the first house I lived in didn't even have indoor plumbing, and that was in the 1960's! So don't try to tell me how hard people have it today.
Drive through the poorest neighborhoods in any city and you'll see the same thing- everybody yapping away on their cellphones driving cars with expensive rims. Maybe if they spent less money on cellphones, rims, and the latest designer clothes they'd have enough money to rent a decent place.
They have the right to make stupid choices with their money, but they DON'T have a right to more of my taxes to support their stupidity.
Those with the fancy cell phones and rims most likely are selling drugs. And dude that is mostly in the movies. Almost all poor people I have seen or know have no car much less rims and if they have a cell phone it is because you cant get ANY ANY ANY job unless you have a phone. Stop the lies.
1 post removed

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#44 Sep 13, 2011
Bite Me wrote:
<quoted text>
So that is when President Clinton got out of office. Another Democrat but I voted for him. Live and learn!

Uh, Bill Clinton Got INTO office in 1993.


On January 1, 1994, Clinton signed the North American Free Trade Agreement into law.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 3 min Squach 12,097
US and Cuba move to normalize ties, open embassy 4 min xxxrayted 94
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,153,958
Your Thoughts on the Midterm Elections 6 min TerryE 438
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 6 min Quirky 293,670
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min deutscher Nationa... 132,533
Cheney again defends interrogation techniques 9 min inbred Genius 338
Ben Carson: Race Relations Have 'Gotten Worse' ... 16 min xxxrayted 650
More from around the web