TRW Automotive Workers Strike in Lebanon

TRW Automotive Workers Strike in Lebanon

There are 390 comments on the WZTV Top Stories story from Aug 26, 2013, titled TRW Automotive Workers Strike in Lebanon. In it, WZTV Top Stories reports that:

Stream our newscasts LIVE starting with TN Mornings at 5am and News at 9pm. LEBANON, Tenn.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZTV Top Stories.

committed to coworkers

Livingston, TN

#83 Sep 3, 2013
342 workers stand together. Dont pay attention to the publicity on this site. Hopefully the committee we have in office and company will come to a decision, to take back to the membership and cast a vote with the majority ruling. Maybe it will be something that the people can live with and people can start working again and supporting their families once again. Stick together 342!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#84 Sep 3, 2013
union strong wrote:
Stay strong and stay together I was on a 16 wk strike few yrs ago and scab after scab kept crossing our lines the company was paying 3 times wages to them just to keep us out.... no one is going 2 win but stay together with so many scabs crossing don't let them lie the company is loosing a lost of money.. the longer it goes on the more dangerous it will be.
True.
Steering Gear Competition

Silver Spring, MD

#85 Sep 3, 2013
I work for a competitor of TRW. I was laid off for a week last week and have had many weeks lay off over the past five months. But as of today we are on overtime, wonder why. LOL.
competition number two

Wytheville, VA

#86 Sep 3, 2013
thanks for the work trw
Wife of TRW worker

Brush Creek, TN

#87 Sep 3, 2013
How dare some of you people make the comments you've made when you have absolutely no idea what goes on in that plant. My father worked there for over 30 years and most of the time it was a great place to work- the type of place many of you have describe TRW to be. But I can tell you that the times have changes GREATLY in the last several years. It is NOT the same great atmosphere/great benefit/great pay place it used to be.
My husband has been there for YEARS and it's not just little things the company is wanting to take away. It's the livelihood for many of them and their families. There are so many "little" changes(too many to mention) that truly affect the individual worker that those of you who are clueless have no idea about. How can ANYONE not take the side of blue collar workers who are just wanting to do what's best for them and their families? Why be so mean and ugly to people who are only doing what they feel like is right? These employees (strikers) are husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, etc. Why be so mean and make it sound like they are these terrible people for just trying not to lose what they have be used to having? I was outraged seeing some comments. I couldn't believe the lashing out some people did- who have absolutely nothing to do w/ this company or the people who work there. It's sad. EVERYONE in the work force should be proud of workers who are able to fight for what they believe is fair.
When you are paying out half of your paycheck for insurance, something is wrong. When you can get private insurance for less that what the company is taking out of your check, something is wrong! When a father & family man can make absolutely no family plans because he never knows if he's going to have to work the weekend or overtime, that is very hard. We have many times planned to travel to visit family or made other family plans on the weekend, only to find out the day before that he is going to work all weekend. So we have to drop our plans. May not seem like much to some, but it IS to people who put their families FIRST. We are very Christian people and we plan to ALWAYS be in church on Sunday morning. My husband often has to miss. My husband wants to sign up for things at church and also for things w/ our kids, but he is NEVER able to commit to anything due to never knowing his true work schedule. Also, my husband does not make $20/hr & he's been there for YEARS- so the comment that $20/hr is AVERAGE is absolutely false. There are multiple issues at the head of this disagreement. NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE but the people who work in that plant have any idea of their working conditions or the things they give up.
SOBER UP

Betsy Layne, KY

#88 Sep 4, 2013
Wife of TRW worker wrote:
How dare some of you people make the comments you've made when you have absolutely no idea what goes on in that plant. My father worked there for over 30 years and most of the time it was a great place to work- the type of place many of you have describe TRW to be. But I can tell you that the times have changes GREATLY in the last several years. It is NOT the same great atmosphere/great benefit/great pay place it used to be.
My husband has been there for YEARS and it's not just little things the company is wanting to take away. It's the livelihood for many of them and their families. There are so many "little" changes(too many to mention) that truly affect the individual worker that those of you who are clueless have no idea about. How can ANYONE not take the side of blue collar workers who are just wanting to do what's best for them and their families? Why be so mean and ugly to people who are only doing what they feel like is right? These employees (strikers) are husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, etc. Why be so mean and make it sound like they are these terrible people for just trying not to lose what they have be used to having? I was outraged seeing some comments. I couldn't believe the lashing out some people did- who have absolutely nothing to do w/ this company or the people who work there. It's sad. EVERYONE in the work force should be proud of workers who are able to fight for what they believe is fair.
When you are paying out half of your paycheck for insurance, something is wrong. When you can get private insurance for less that what the company is taking out of your check, something is wrong! When a father & family man can make absolutely no family plans because he never knows if he's going to have to work the weekend or overtime, that is very hard. We have many times planned to travel to visit family or made other family plans on the weekend, only to find out the day before that he is going to work all weekend. So we have to drop our plans. May not seem like much to some, but it IS to people who put their families FIRST. We are very Christian people and we plan to ALWAYS be in church on Sunday morning. My husband often has to miss. My husband wants to sign up for things at church and also for things w/ our kids, but he is NEVER able to commit to anything due to never knowing his true work schedule. Also, my husband does not make $20/hr & he's been there for YEARS- so the comment that $20/hr is AVERAGE is absolutely false. There are multiple issues at the head of this disagreement. NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE but the people who work in that plant have any idea of their working conditions or the things they give up.
Most places have changed in 30 years,if you don't like it get a new job.Your not married to the plant ,leave seek employment else where.Just maybe your president will let enough mexican's in on his watch to run the plant.UNION'S PUT HIM IN,LET'S SEE HOW THE CHANGE WORK'S FOR YOU.
Resident

Lebanon, TN

#89 Sep 4, 2013
The next thing you know, the UAW will want the Constitution changed to state: We the people are entitled to life, liberty, and successful people's money.
citizen

Lebanon, TN

#90 Sep 4, 2013
Were you ever told life is not fair? If working there causes you and your family to be so miserable, then quit and find something that will make you happy. It's that easy. Stop complaining and just make changes in your life for you future. I know a lot of people who would love to work there. It's not easy, but that's why it's called a JOB!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#91 Sep 4, 2013
Resident wrote:
The next thing you know, the UAW will want the Constitution changed to state: We the people are entitled to life, liberty, and successful people's money.
the UAW was pushing Obama back in 2009 to nationalized the Auto Industry just like what was done to the Railroad Industry by FDR.
Hang in there

Gaylord, MI

#92 Sep 4, 2013
Don't let these people get you down. They may look like the majority on this discussion, but they are really the minority. It is easy to dis somebody from a keyboard but quite a different thing to walk down to the picket line and give your opinion. If these people had courage they would do just that.
I know plenty of people that work for Trw and I understand how the company has changed over the past decade.
It takes plenty of courage to go on strike. Nobody enjoys it.
union strong

United States

#93 Sep 4, 2013
The negative posters on here don't know what a union stands for they are the ones. Trw workers are fighting for they prob make $7hr and temps. Ask nissian employs how it feels to work as a temp for 5 yrs for$ 12hr while the people that work for nissian make 30hr...in a few yrs it will be all temps there. More profit for big dogs to pocket.... to the competiors enjoy only last for a short time .. stay strong and stay together .
Question

Smithville, TN

#94 Sep 4, 2013
Peterbuilt struck themselves out of a job. These companies will just move to where the profit is better for themselves. They are all about the bottom line period..
Current Employee

Lebanon, TN

#95 Sep 4, 2013
union strong wrote:
The negative posters on here don't know what a union stands for they are the ones. Trw workers are fighting for they prob make $7hr and temps. Ask nissian employs how it feels to work as a temp for 5 yrs for$ 12hr while the people that work for nissian make 30hr...in a few yrs it will be all temps there. More profit for big dogs to pocket.... to the competiors enjoy only last for a short time .. stay strong and stay together .
If TRW was smart, they would say screw you all. Oh wait, they did do that by bringing in people that actually work. How many times have I heard a TRW worker say, slow down, we don't want to build the parts too fast.
which one

Maggie Valley, NC

#96 Sep 4, 2013
Psychopaths like this cork soaker need to be strung up.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/12/ceo-compe...

I was raised by a union worker and never had much use for unions, but, with guys like this, and Verizon's CEO, just to name a few, taking ALL THE MONEY and wanting everyone else to eat chit. I wish you strikers all the very best.

Next start on the platinum members extracting all the wealth they can steal via public utilities as many of them are nothing more than junior versions to your own CEO that want to enslave all working people.
Alright Then wrote:
Dont forget they currently make $18 -$22 per hr, 1.5x pay on saturdays and 2x pay on Sundays.
The union was offered and rejected:
1. A per hour pay raise for 4 out of 5 contract years.
2. A $150 yearly shoe allowance versus the $100 now.
3. A less strict absenteeism policy.
4. A $1,000 bonus for each employee.
5. The same medical plan their salaried employees have had for 3 years.
Sounded pretty good to me. Must not be that bad since there's people that's been there for more than 30 years. And a lot of people went back after they got laid off. If its such a bad place to work then why not quit?
which one

Maggie Valley, NC

#97 Sep 4, 2013
It looks to me like they are being CEO'd out out of a job.

Explain to me why that SOB, or anyone for that matter, is worth 41 million a year?

Because he can fawk over plenty of workers and exploit them into working for less so he can have more?
Question wrote:
Peterbuilt struck themselves out of a job. These companies will just move to where the profit is better for themselves. They are all about the bottom line period..
Wife of TRW worker

Brush Creek, TN

#98 Sep 4, 2013
So much for trying to be nice and participate in an adult discussion. Some people are just rude, self-centered jerks who have nothing better to do than judge other's actions in life.
When they go back to work making even more money and having great benefits for standing up for themselves, you'll just be even more disgruntled- for whatever reason. You have no right saying the things you say. I tried to show the perspective of someone living in that moment. Way to act like children on here just because you don't agree w/ someone else's opinion.
always

Maggie Valley, NC

#99 Sep 4, 2013
it always amuses me at how many poor people, who think they are actually middle class or even rich, that have no problem justifying the CEO and board of directors making cumulatively more than 10,000 workers.

No problem with a single CEO making more than 1000 times of one worker. Sure, it should be that way because everyone thinks they'll be that rock star right after they match all five and the powerball too!

When our nation was great and had an actual middle class with very few people at or under actual poverty, and let me tell you the government's idea of what number is poverty is complete rubbish, a CEO made about 24 times that of a worker.

We made products in this nation, by this nation's people and for this nation's people as well as for much of the rest of the world.

Outsourcing jobs was pretty much equal to treason and now most everyone accepts outsourcing to de facto slaves having no or little human rights as "just the way it is".

It is only if we let it and if this 41 million dollar a year outsources American production, he should be strung up by Americans.

Same for Lowell McAdams of Verizon, who breached his contracts with clients, out-sousourced American jobs, just so he could go from 1 million a year to now over 36 million a year.

Morally bankrupt greed machines and there are now so many in America.
So much for trying to be nice and participate in an adult discussion. Some people are just rude, self-centered jerks who have nothing better to do than judge other's actions in life.
When they go back to work making even more money and having great benefits for standing up for themselves, you'll just be even more disgruntled- for whatever reason. You have no right saying the things you say. I tried to show the perspective of someone living in that moment. Way to act like children on here just because you don't agree w/ someone else's opinion.
union strong

Powell, TN

#100 Sep 4, 2013
A
Current Employee wrote:
<quoted text>
If TRW was smart, they would say screw you all. Oh wait, they did do that by bringing in people that actually work. How many times have I heard a TRW worker say, slow down, we don't want to build the parts too fast.
add up the scrap parts and down time , trust me I been through a 4 month strike before they are not profitting anything . All the union supporters join these people on the lines and take them things . The machinst union got your back we have already been by for support and we will stand w you. Just keep strong .
FedUp-Disappoint ed

Franklin, NC

#101 Sep 4, 2013
Sadly these freedom fighters are acting worse than children standing up for what they think is going to make a difference - malicious comments over a bullhorn, throwing nails and tacks in front of cars causing damage to tires, and drinking alcohol on the side of a busy highway doesn't make anyone want to respect you or the beliefs you have. Sincerely don't believe these actions represent the majority of TRW workers out on the line. Sadly those top idiots you have as your leaders and spokespersons cast a very bad opinion of many of the rest of you. Nothing in life Is free for anyone UAW 342 included. Your group owes your fellow workers AND this community a public apology. Very sad and damn near sickening.
Wife of TRW worker

Brush Creek, TN

#102 Sep 4, 2013
FedUp-Disappointed wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly these freedom fighters are acting worse than children standing up for what they think is going to make a difference - malicious comments over a bullhorn, throwing nails and tacks in front of cars causing damage to tires, and drinking alcohol on the side of a busy highway doesn't make anyone want to respect you or the beliefs you have. Sincerely don't believe these actions represent the majority of TRW workers out on the line. Sadly those top idiots you have as your leaders and spokespersons cast a very bad opinion of many of the rest of you. Nothing in life Is free for anyone UAW 342 included. Your group owes your fellow workers AND this community a public apology. Very sad and damn near sickening.
Absolutely none of what you say is true. As I said and will leave here saying- unless you are directly involved as an employee, it really is none of your business and you should keep your opinions to yourself. Case closed. I won't be back so absolutely no reason to even comment to this. I don't typically bring myself down to such a low level as to fight w/ ignorant big mouths. I'm much to good of person for that. Definitely a much better person than someone who wants to instigate fights over something that does not affect them in the least.
Enjoy continuing to place your ignorant comments on here. It only helps to show the lack of knowledge you have about the entire situation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 min cpeter1313 8,439
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min sonicfilter 1,581,927
News Report: Higher premiums if Trump halts 'Obamaca... 8 min Dee Dee Dee 57
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 13 min positronium 26,373
News Is healthcare a Jewish value? NEW 15 min The Bible Student 50
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 23 min NTMD8OR 287,579
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... (Nov '16) 36 min positronium 8,651
News Dear Trump Voters: The 1950's Aren't Coming Back 45 min Covfefe 1,437
More from around the web