Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

There are 38659 comments on the www.washingtonpost.com story from Apr 30, 2011, titled Why do Americans still dislike atheists?. In it, www.washingtonpost.com reports that:

Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don't like much: atheists.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.washingtonpost.com.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#39090 Jun 29, 2012
VinceP wrote:
<quoted text>Well what have i missed the last few days?
County jail releasing inmates because they are short of funds again, jailbird?

Lucky for you, eh?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#39091 Jun 29, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how you have been asked to back this up point blank and you and your fellow NotBots stand there with your cock-in-your-hand and nothing else.
Do show us your simple extrapolation which leads to the conclusion that theist days are numbered while the number proves that the theist numbers continue to increase.
Do explain how increasing numbers mean numbers are going to decrease.
It helps if you can prove that you aren't a liar and that you haven't hallucinated the whole thing.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#39092 Jun 29, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>Sad Thing Is, These Reproducing Cockroaches Will Be The Majority In 12 Short Years, According To The Latest Reports.

May As Well.....This Isnt America Anymore.....Im Starting A New Country On My Own Ialand...No Political Correctness, And No Immigration....Shot On Site For Trespassing.

Only One Judge.....ME
Yeah yeah dude. Are you one of those border hicks with a gun and a cowboy hat?

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#39093 Jun 29, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Counting the number of people who believe something, doesn't make the underlying belief true.

Evidence is what makes it true or not.
So atheism will not take over this country. Stop smoking crack.

Location hidden

#39094 Jun 29, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
It helps if you can prove that you aren't a liar
Show the forum where I asserted Hitler was an atheist.

See if you can managed to find the post among the dozens of times I have said Hitler was a Catholic and see if you can do it so everyone here in this forum can pretend they haven't seen me post it sometimes several times a day.

Location hidden

#39095 Jun 29, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
So atheism will not take over this country. Stop smoking crack.
Never said it would, but its interesting to hear your irrational Creationist fears.

It makes a great study into small-mindedness.

Location hidden

#39096 Jun 29, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Show the forum where I asserted Hitler was an atheist.
See if you can managed to find the post among the dozens of times I have said Hitler was a Catholic and see if you can do it so everyone here in this forum can pretend they haven't seen me post it sometimes several times a day.
Considering that you believe in god, the fact that you think Hitler wasn't atheist loses it's merit sadly.

In fact any opinion espoused by you, racist or otherwise is pretty much considered bullsh*t.

That is tie fate of all trolls.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#39097 Jun 29, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweden continues to provide funding for Church of Sweden- direct taxation- over here is the USA, this would be illegal.
No matter how hard you stomp your fat little feet.
they get church contributions and church antiquarian compensation so that old churches don't fall down to the ground

"The grants provided varies in size. Most money goes to the mold remediation in Varnhem Abbey. More than 7 million paid to keep this national treasure in the state. The minimum amount is 9000 SEK and goes to conservation of church silver in the Sandhults church.
In total there are about 140 of the diocese 440 churches that may have access to grants in any form. Everything is not for the church buildings. Some money goes to the inventory and preservation of especially valuable objects in cemeteries."

http://www.svenskakyrkan.se/default.aspx...

money doesn't go to preachers and bibles!

Location hidden

#39098 Jun 29, 2012
I think you should have a conversation about Hitler's Catholicism with Educated What.

Because it will be fun to see two foolish trolls fighting over who knew what Hitler's true beliefs were.

You're both qualified to know, considering he was also a crazy maniac too.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#39099 Jun 29, 2012
Why even waste your time on the mouth breather? He's to terrified to even state what his religion is and keeps playing dodge ball when asked. Just a waste of bandwidth troll who can only insult and desperately try to change the subject. Until he has the intellectual honesty to answer a simple question that even a first grader could it's Time to flush that turd.
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
It helps if you can prove that you aren't a liar and that you haven't hallucinated the whole thing.

Location hidden

#39100 Jun 29, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Since we're talking about societal trends ... "counting the number of people" is, in this case, a valid approach. You have already thrown out some numbers ... there's no need to argue about them.
There is no need to argue that there are more persons of religion today than there were yesterday and the day before and that there will be more tomorrow than today... and you assert that theists days are numbered...

I am just suggest that you don't make much sense, Booby, when you say theists days are numbered based on the fact that their numbers are increasing every day.

Location hidden

#39101 Jun 29, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
they get church contributions and church antiquarian compensation so that old churches don't fall down to the ground
blah blah blah... state religion...

USA = churches aren't funded by the State.

I don't care if you agree or not, silly. These are facts.

Location hidden

#39102 Jun 29, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no need to argue that there are more persons of religion today than there were yesterday and the day before and that there will be more tomorrow than today... and you assert that theists days are numbered...
I am just suggest that you don't make much sense, Booby, when you say theists days are numbered based on the fact that their numbers are increasing every day.
If religion didn't fear losing its members, it wouldn't create godbots

Location hidden

#39103 Jun 29, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
I think you should have a conversation about Hitler's Catholicism
I am pretty sure I can have a conversation with whomever I please, and you are supposed to be responsible for what you say, Dipstick.

You can retract your assertion that I said Hitler was an atheist, and then we can move on to the lies you posted before that, or after that: your choice.

Location hidden

#39104 Jun 29, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
blah blah blah... state religion...
USA = churches aren't funded by the State.
I don't care if you agree or not, silly. These are facts.
Thankfully the State doesn't get scammed into handing over its money like believers do.

Thanks to laws that protect society from dangerous cults like creationism.

Location hidden

#39105 Jun 29, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering that you believe in god,
You don't know what I believe in outside of the fact- and I will stipulate it- that you are a fool and a g/d liar, and I have already proved the later and the former is an opinion shared by many.

So do put up your retraction for your Hitler assertion, and then you can find that post proving that I believe in god (or gods).
1 post removed

Location hidden

#39107 Jun 29, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
If religion didn't fear losing its members, it wouldn't create godbots
The number of theist in the world is increasing.

This is a fact.

You can roll around on the floor screaming nonsense about creating godbots but it is still a fact.

If the number of something (anything) is increasing, it is rather odd that you (et al.) would want top argue that their days are numbered.

Based on... well... what we call in English... facts.

Location hidden

#39108 Jun 29, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am pretty sure I can have a conversation with whomever I please, and you are supposed to be responsible for what you say, Dipstick.
You can retract your assertion that I said Hitler was an atheist, and then we can move on to the lies you posted before that, or after that: your choice.
It helps if you give us some evidence that your bulsh*t beliefs are true.

Then we can tackle the question of why you are a racist liar...

Location hidden

#39109 Jun 29, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The number of theist in the world is increasing.
This is a fact.
You can roll around on the floor screaming nonsense about creating godbots but it is still a fact.
If the number of something (anything) is increasing, it is rather odd that you (et al.) would want top argue that their days are numbered.
Based on... well... what we call in English... facts.
You can chat as much sh*t as you like, at the end of the day, you talk to things that don't exist.

Location hidden

#39110 Jun 29, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
It helps if you give us some evidence that your bulsh*t beliefs are true.
It's odd that you don't know (let alone prove) what my beliefs are but you can assert that they (whatever they might be) are 'racist'.

Are you going to retract you previous assertions that I have proved wrong?

It seems to me that once proved to be a liar (as I have proved you to be) you should limit your assertions to say... three at a time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min HILLARY 2016 193,626
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Incognito4Ever 1,275,389
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 14 min dollarsbill 12,572
News Vote Tally for Iran Nuclear Deal Rises to 31 in... 14 min Jeff Brightone 1
News 'Anchor baby' fight scrambles Republican field 16 min serfs up 139
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 17 min -Dont Panic- 340,816
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 18 min Chilli J 173,479
More from around the web